• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Tenbatsu

Stopped my play at 47 Stars. I should be able to complete it over the weekend. Actually I can complete it already if not for the fact that I explored every single stages till I got all those stars. The game even make use of your Wii message board but am not going to spoil it for you guys. The Boo Mario section is a bit weak thou IMO. The main quest are still relatively easy but no worries for hardcore gamers, the EX stages and challenges will make you all happy. Also, like what Sp0rk had mentioned, the apple stage is nice, I really like the overfeel of it.

Grecco said:
Yeah all this talk of lack of lines is silly.

Reminds me of a similar one with the DS. :lol
Corrext me if I'm wrong but Mario's sales usually don't come from it's first week, right? I always thought Mario(and most of Nintendo's big ips) are slow burners or have thunder legs.

titiklabingapat said:
Corrext me if I'm wrong but Mario's sales usually don't come from it's first week, right? I always thought Mario(and most of Nintendo's big ips) are slow burners or have thunder legs.
I don't know, IIRC NSMB sold like eleventy billion copies in its first week.

ShockingAlberto said:
I tried to find the link to that - found tons of sites referencing it, but no one posted the damn link.

Maybe Anoop had it taken down. :p

I searched too.
Such a funny article to look back on.

Grecco

Was it IGN? :lol I thought it was Gamespot.

Doesnt matter. Point still stands. Thinking this is gonna bomb because some random article is sooo silly. :lol Plus i really think theres gonna be sort of that steady burn/long legs when someone loves it and tells somebody/shows it to somebody.

Seems like we always see 1st-day (Japan) numbers for the other big guns -- Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc... where's the goddamn Galaxy sales already?!?

SSM25

hunting a wii to play this is going to be a pain in the arse....I hope I get lucky.

Game looks awesome, but that's a given since it's Mario.

Link

The Autumn Wind
In regards to the spin move, back when I played it at E3 last year, you could also perform it my shaking the nunchuk. Is this still possible? I prefer to do it that way because, for one, I'm left handed and it's more natural for me, but also because the cursor isn't going spastic all over the screen.

Link said:
In regards to the spin move, back when I played it at E3 last year, you could also perform it my shaking the nunchuk. Is this still possible? I prefer to do it that way because, for one, I'm left handed and it's more natural for me, but also because the cursor isn't going spastic all over the screen.

Have you tried holding the remote in your left and the nunchuk in your right?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
sp0rsk said:
When he does find a star, you'll get some mail with a picture of Wario standing in some undisclosed stage with a message that will say something like "Hey I found a star, but I can't get down from here, come get me!!" Poor Luigi, he gets no respect.

Sp0rsk -- did you make a mistake there, or did you really mean that Wario is in the game?

Link

The Autumn Wind
HAL_Laboratory said:
Have you tried holding the remote in your left and the nunchuk in your right?
Nah, that'd never work. I'm not precise enough with my right thumb to use the analog stick well enough.

Oh, and also:

LinkAMN said:
Somebody needs to turn your avatar into Phanto (SMB2 US).
phanto.jpg

Rush job, but it'll do.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DavidDayton said:
Sp0rsk -- did you make a mistake there, or did you really mean that Wario is in the game?

Oh, no sorry, my mind must have been somewhere else. I meant who I said I found earlier.

No signs of Wario in this game, yet! Although, something tells me this game won't have him in it.

Tristam

DavidDayton said:
possible spoilerz

OK, I think this is was the kind of stuff Crushed was trying to distinguish between when he posted those screens. The screens were innocuous -- this, not really. Please spoiler your own stuff in the future.

EDIT: Well, if he ain't in, it doesn't matter, but still.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up the game today. I only played for about an hour and only have 4 stars, but I can't help but feel a bet let down at the moment.

It's hard to describe, but the game just doesn't feel very fun. I love Mario 64, Super Mario World and the Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3, but this one seems to lack the fun that those titles had right from the very start of the game. The graphics in Galaxy are awesome for a Wii game, the spherical "planetoids" are cool from a technical aspect, and there are a lot of cool things going on with gravity, etc... but the game just doesn't feel very fun or very Mario-like. It seems like another strange spin-off to me (like Sunshine) when I was expecting more of a true sequel to Mario 64.

I definitely plan on finishing the game and getting all of the stars, etc... but I just can't help but feel a little disappointed in the game so far.

Tristam

Zefah said:
I just picked up the game today. I only played for about an hour and only have 4 stars, but I can't help but feel a bet let down at the moment.

It's hard to describe, but the game just doesn't feel very fun. I love Mario 64, Super Mario World and the Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3, but this one seems to lack the fun that those titles had right from the very start of the game. The graphics in Galaxy are awesome for a Wii game, the spherical "planetoids" are cool from a technical aspect, and there are a lot of cool things going on with gravity, etc... but the game just doesn't feel very fun or very Mario-like. It seems like another strange spin-off to me (like Sunshine) when I was expecting more of a true sequel to Mario 64.

I definitely plan on finishing the game and getting all of the stars, etc... but I just can't help but feel a little disappointed in the game so far.

Really? I only played through the first 4 stars in the GameStop demo, and it was probably the most fun I'd had for the first couple hours of any video game ever.

Ah well, to each his own.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Yup pretty much. Well the SM64 team doesn't really exist. The SMS team was formed after the development of Majora's Mask.

The SMS team developed JB and Galaxy.
Not even half the SMS went to Tokyo so it's not really the same team, more of them worked on Wind Waker. Some are also from other studios entirely as well, like Yokota and Aoyagi.

Zefah said:

Yeah, I... can't relate to that.

EktorPR

Zefah said:

People's expectations...meh. What the FUCK is a "true" sequel™ to Mario 64?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Order Sol said:
Something people know they'll never get but keep asking for so they can be disappointed ?

I think you nailed it.

I guess I just wanted a game like Mario 64 with updated graphics and new worlds and maybe some new mini-games.

Now that I have gotten over my disappointment that there are probably no (or very few) Mario 64-like stages, I'll try and enjoy the game for what it is (which is pretty cool). I must admit the Octopus King boss was rather enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Link said:
tako2.jpg

Teh bias!!!!

Can someone with the game answer my spin attack question, please?

You can shake either the nunchuck or the remote for the spin attack, so no worries!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EktorPR said:

a game that sends your entire life careening into reverse, hurtling to you a time when you were twelve and 3d was completely new.

they're saving it for mario galaxy 2

tnw

Banned
Link said:
tako2.jpg

Teh bias!!!!

Can someone with the game answer my spin attack question, please?

I love that octopus, ikari mark and all.

I actually think the game is pretty fun. But I think a lot of areas could have been better implemented. The cookie cutter stage, why the hell is it floating in the middle of nowhere. It would have been cool to have a planet with a more fleshed out cookie factory line with enemies and what not. I don't know, that level was kind of blah.

But a lot of times playing i just thought 'hey this is pretty fun!' It's pretty cool when the object you're on is oblong, and you flip to see what's on the other side. I really like z-jumping around the sides and seeing the gravity kind of pull you back in.

Oh and FLUDD kind of makes a comeback in the game, as an enemy though!

Link

The Autumn Wind
You're way too hung up on the whole "floating levels" thing.

EDIT - You should probably spoiler tag that last line.

EktorPR

Spoiler that shit.

Also, I love how people think that they could do a better job designing a game than, say, fucking EAD. Is it not enough that they've stated repeatedly they don't find the game "as great" as some people has commented? Am I being an obnoxious little fuck complaining about people complaining about this game?!

Zefah said:
I think you nailed it.

I guess I just wanted a game like Mario 64 with updated graphics and new worlds and maybe some new mini-games.

Now that I have gotten over my disappointment that there are probably no (or very few) Mario 64-like stages, I'll try and enjoy the game for what it is (which is pretty cool). I must admit the Octopus King boss was rather enjoyable.

I'm glad its not so much like Mario 64, I love the game but the 2D ones were better, this game feels like they took SMB3 or SMW and translated to 3D.

Tenbatsu

dfyb said:
compared to sunshine, how's galaxy's difficulty? lots of extra things you can collect/beat etc?

Beating the main game is easy. The extra challenges stages are hard. If you are those going for high scores for each stages, its pretty challenging. Yeah and there are lots of extra stars hidden around.

Sanjuro

Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario 64.

Only thing facing that argument is that the year isn't 1996. Galaxy belongs with SMB3 and World. I have 54 stars and I'm fine with this statement.

Grecco

At the risk of sounding like a pompous ass

What is a Mario 64 level anyways? One with litle plataforming and tons of shit to do like racing turtles and babysitting pinguins for stars?

Tristam

tnw said:
I love that octopus, ikari mark and all.

I actually think the game is pretty fun. But I think a lot of areas could have been better implemented. The cookie cutter stage, why the hell is it floating in the middle of nowhere. It would have been cool to have a planet with a more fleshed out cookie factory line with enemies and what not. I don't know, that level was kind of blah.

But a lot of times playing i just thought 'hey this is pretty fun!' It's pretty cool when the object you're on is oblong, and you flip to see what's on the other side. I really like z-jumping around the sides and seeing the gravity kind of pull you back in.

Oh and FLUDD kind of makes a comeback in the game, as an enemy though!

It seems your main issue with the game is the cohesive designs of the worlds, but I thought it was common knowledge that spontaneous architecture has been a hallmark of the Mario series since its inception.

I don't think your viewpoint is wrong (hey, it's an opinion!), but in Super Mario Bros. 1 or 3 did you wonder "Hey, why did a beanstalk just shoot up out of that brick suspended in mid-air?" I mean, it's a videogame.

tnw said:
Yeah man fuck this game, it's so unrealistic. I'm off to play bejewelled.

Zefah said:

When SMG gets a 99.9% on gamerankings, you, my friend, are that 0.1%.

fernoca

EktorPR said:
Well, according to GAF it would be the same game, but with 16 players online... *zing!* :p

In any case, is like people that are playing the game are just "showing dissapointment" as a way to say "Hey! I have the game, so I'm cool...yet I spend more time posting about it on this forums, so my epenis is bigger"...geeze.. :p

Anyway, what's with tnw's spoiler?!
Heck..what's with the spoilers today?
First the Umbrella Chronicles thread with a spoiler...on the title!..and now a few here, as part of a normal reply?!

I DEMAND BLOOD!!....AND COOKIES!!!

fernoca said:
Well, according to GAF it would be the same game, but with 16 players online... *zing!* :p

In any case, is like people that are playing the game are just "showing dissapointment" as a way to say "Hey! I have the game, so I'm cool...yet I spend more time posting about it on this forums, so my epenis is bigger"...geeze.. :p

Anyway, what's with tnw's spoiler?!
Heck..what's with the spoilers today?
First the Umbrella Chronicles thread with a spoiler...on the title!..and now a few here, as part of a normal reply?!

I DEMAND BLOOD!!....AND COOKIES!!!

There was a UC spoiler? *Runs to check it out*

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Zefah said:

Thanks for stating the game 'doesnt feel very fun' a mllion times without a single justification or elaboration. You were expecting a 'true sequel' to Mario 64, but I cant for the life of me imagine what Mario64 has that this game lacks. Not 'Mario-like? Give me a fucking break. ANyway, seems like the fad to say the game sucks now, people want to stand out from the crowd like that. This place is always predictable.

And tnw, you're an ass. You casually spoil things on purpose Im assuming, since you keep knocking the game and apprently want to lessen the experience for everyone. Have some fucking consideration.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just thought I'd mention that this is the WORLD WIDE THREAD. People who live in Japan have every right to talk about the game openly! It's our thread till whenever it comes out in America!

EktorPR

Slurpy said:
Thanks for stating the game 'doesnt feel very fun' a mllion times without a single justification or elaboration. You were expecting a 'true sequel' to Mario 64, but I cant for the life of me imagine what Mario64 has that this game lacks. Not 'Mario-like? Give me a fucking break. ANyway, seems like the fad to say the game sucks now, people want to stand out from the crowd like that. This place is always predictable.

*"Ektor has joined Slurpy's party!"

DrLazy

From what I've played I really miss a controllable camera. My right thumb kept itching to let me have move the action behind mario. Sometimes Mario goes behind objects and becomes a shadow, sometimes you find yourself running directly at the camera.

Whatever, I guess I'm the only one who actually LIKED Mario Sunshine's fully controllable camera. It was the best part of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Allow me to retract my previous comment.

Starting from the 2nd stage in the "Honeycomb Galaxy" this game turns into a fu*king masterpiece. It started out kind of boring for me, but it just keeps getting better and better as I go along!

Top Bottom