• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2007 (Assassins > CoD 4 > Galaxy)

kay said:
Why would the attach rate go down when the console starts selling more? That makes no sense. Ubisoft should look at attach rate (for the future) and be "relieved" with the sales of that version as they know that a higher percentage of PS3 owners will buy their games even when they are all slightly inferior. Maybe they will actually start to make the games run as well knowing that. They aren't sabotaging their games on the system because they don't want it sell...
Because a smaller userbase usually involves a higher attach rate. The unusual scenario would be for the attach rate to stay high even though the userbase gets bigger. It's pretty simple really, the more consoles there are the more games you need to sell to maintain the attach ratio. Since games are usually not universally appealing they will most likely only sell to a limited amount of the userbase. You could calculate attach rates for PS2's biggest games for an example.

Ubi aren't sabotaging and I didn't imply that. Those flaws are inevitable if 360 is the lead plattform.

cjelly said:
I just noticed; Viva Pintata Party Animals got release last week...

...it isn't even in the UK Top 20 Xbox 360 games....
Did we expect otherwise?

Just btw. it is REALLY interesting that Assasin's Creed and CoD4 both have a higher ranking on PS3 in Germany. PS3 hardware sales in the last weeks and months must have been much, much healthier than they were the last time we got HW sales for Germany (when they were ~on par with X360) to make that happen.
Unfortunately we don't have sales no., I'd bet my ass that SMG's sales are atleast as high as AC's sales on PS3 and X360 combined, and I also find it quite likely that Crysis + Crysis Collectors Edition easily outsold SMG, AC PS3 and AC X360 combined. We'll never really know that, though :/

nli10

SMG is actually selling out in games stores and non games stores alike in the UK now. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes!

Seems the Wii shipments are hitting in the first half of the week now too for some reason.

spwolf

nli10 said:
SMG is actually selling out in games stores and non games stores alike in the UK now. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes!

Seems the Wii shipments are hitting in the first half of the week now too for some reason.

just anecdotal it seems as it is in stock at Amazon and very low seller (7th on the Wii list) - if it was sold out in stores, it would sell really good online...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Phife Dawg said:
Did we expect otherwise?
I don't know, did we?

It just seems that even Scene It got to 10, so for Party Animals to not even make top 20 just seems pathetic.

I don't think we'll see anymore VP games.

kottila

spwolf said:
just anecdotal it seems as it is in stock at Amazon and very low seller (7th on the Wii list) - if it was sold out in stores, it would sell really good online...
well, it is the no1 selling SNES game, so it can't be doing that bad..

spwolf said:
They're updated hourly, maybe they got a shipment in when you checked. It's sold out at the moment of my post.

cjelly said:
I don't know, did we?

It just seems that even Scene It got to 10, so for Party Animals to not even make top 20 just seems pathetic.

Viva Pinata is universally unappealing to Europe, since most of the people don't even know what a Pinata is. Then it's also universally unappealing to the 360 crowd, even more so than Scene It, which is basically a movie quiz - pretty nerdy I'd say.

Well there's VP for DS coming. Maybe the series will stay alive after all. But I do agree that this is the last we see on 360.

kay

Phife Dawg said:
Because a smaller userbase usually involves a higher attach rate. The unusual scenario would be for the attach rate to stay high even though the userbase gets bigger. It's pretty simple really, the more consoles there are the more games you need to sell to maintain the attach ratio. Since games are usually not universally appealing they will most likely only sell to a limited amount of the userbase. You could calculate attach rates for PS2's biggest games for an example.

Ubi aren't sabotaging and I didn't imply that. Those flaws are inevitable if 360 is the lead plattform.

Did we expect otherwise?

If the quality of the game was the same and the total user bases were equal you are saying that the PS3 version would definitely not outsell the 360 version even though it's pretty likely it would? You have to keep in mind that there is plenty of "core" gamers out there who don't have the system, you can't compare with the PS2 because that had a lot of non-core base as extra padding. The PS3 has very little non-core base and will not have much of one for some time so a bump in user base to equal numbers now would be still hardcore buyers because it is still expensive. Eh, this is too confusing... nothing left to say but that's my take on it.

kay said:
If the quality of the game was the same and the total user bases were equal you are saying that the PS3 version would definitely not outsell the 360 version even though it's pretty likely it would? You have to keep in mind that there is plenty of "core" gamers out there who don't have the system, you can't compare with the PS2 because that had a lot of non-core base as extra padding. The PS3 has very little non-core base and will not have much of one for some time so a bump in user base to equal numbers now would be still hardcore buyers because it is still expensive. Eh, this is too confusing... nothing left to say but that's my take on it.
No I originally said that UBI doesn't care if they had a better attach rate for AC on PS3 then on 360 if they sell more in total on the latter plattform. I then went on to say that this attach rate won't stay that high if the userbase expands, meaning there's no definite that the PS3 would outsell the 360 version even if it's userbase expanded. Seeing that PS3 probably won't ever get past 360 in the US UBI will probably stay put with developing for 360 first (meaning easy PC port or vice versa) and port to PS3 later.

That's it, no system wars bullshit or anything. I have no intentions of buying a 360 ever (I have a gaming PC) and will be buying a PS3 for sure. That doesn't mean I have to close my eyes to reality though.

ksamedi

BTW, The Wii and 360 versions of Guitar Hero were completely sold out in all the stores I checked here in Holland. Its not even the official release date yet. The PS2 and PS3 versions were still in stock.

Mushashi

Maybe, but I think X360 does still lead in install base, but Wii has more momentum. If Wii had beaten X360 LTD, a Nintendo statement would be circulating, same as when they passed 1 million units in fastest time ever.

derder

Raist said:
It's a shame, seriously. And it doesn't look like it's doing better anywhere else yet. wtf is wrong with people ? It's an excellent game and PS3's only platformer so far.

We live a hard life.

GhaleonEB

felipeko said:
But that makes no sense..

If Wii is winning followed by Xbox 360, then Wii should have more consoles sold.
I think they have the right numbers, they just parked them in the wrong order.

Ceb

Swedish chart:

1. Assassin's Creed (360)
2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
3. Assassin's Creed (PS3)
4. Crysis (PC)
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
8. Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (PS2)
9. World of Warcraft (PC)
10. Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction (PS3)
11. The Sims 2 Tonårsprylar (PC)
12. High School Musical: Sing It! (PS2)
13. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)
14. Counter-Strike 1: Anthology (PC)
15. Hellgate: London (PC)
16. The Sims 2 Jorden Runt (PC)
17. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
18. Football Manager 2008 (PC)
19. En riktig jul - Julkalendern 2007 (PC)
20. FIFA 08 (PS2)

WOW...that sucks for Galaxy. All I've heard are great things about it. It probably deserves better sales.

I mean come on, here's Nintendo's flagship title on a wildly popular console.

Even if only ten minutes of sales were counted in the UK chart, it should be number one on that list.

2 days? Come on now.

Just btw. the thread is a bit misleading as it suggests that in the PAL territory the ranking is AC > CoD4 > SMG, while this is only the ranking for the UK.

Frankfurter said:
Just btw. the thread is a bit misleading as it suggests that in the PAL territory the ranking is AC > CoD4 > SMG, while this is only the ranking for the UK.

What?
Irish:
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 17 November 2007
01 (__) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
03 (01) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
08 (__) Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)

Finnish
1 _. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) PC PS3 Xbox360
4 _. Assassin´s Creed (Ubisoft) PS3 Xbox360
7 _. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) Wii

Denmark:
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 17 November 2007
01 (__) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
02 (01) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
14 (__) Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)

Netherlands
1 _. Call Of Duty 4/modern Warfare (ACTIVISION) PC
2 _. Call Of Duty 4/modern Warfare (ACTIVISION) XBOX 360
3 _. Call Of Duty 4/modern Warfare (ACTIVISION) PS3
4 _. Assassin’s Creed (UBISOFT) XBOX 360
9 2. Mario Party 8 (NINTENDO) WII LOL
10 _. Assassin’s Creed (UBISOFT) PS3

I'd say the title isn't very misleading at all...

BTW, what are these games?

16 (__) Pixeline: Lær Om Dyr (Krea Medie)

Ceb said:
Swedish chart:

4. Crysis (PC)

Whohoo! CoD 4 PC version wins!

Not surprised by Creed. When I went to buy Galaxy they were pushing it quite a bit. In comparison I actually had to search for galaxy... Madness. But it's getting good sales so.

kottila

gregor7777 said:
What?

BTW, what are these games?

16 (__) Pixeline: Lær Om Dyr (Krea Medie)

Pixeline is a series of childrens infogames.

Lær om Dyr = Learn about animals.

Rolf NB

cjelly said:
I don't know, did we?

It's DOAX without girls. Making and releasing that game wasn't just a leap of faith, it was willingness to crash into the wall, teeth forward.

Obaid

Banned
Swedish chart:

4. Crysis (PC)

wow 360 version sold more then the ps3 version in a EU country outside UK. Thats impressive.

gregor7777 said:
What?

Frankfurter said:
German charts

PC:
1) Crysis
2) Call of Duty 4
3) Crysis - Collectors Edition
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Football Manager 2008
6) Hellgate: London
7) Die Sims 2: Teen Style
8) Enerquest 2 - Rise of Kurnark
9) The Settlers
10) Anno 1701 Addon

Consoles/handhelds:
1) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
3) Assasin's Creed (X360)
4) High School Musical - Sing it! (PS2)
5) WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 (PS2)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
8) More Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)
10 Singstar: Apres Ski (PS2)

Dunno if this deserves its own thread, so I'll just post it here. "Euro am Sonntag" (weekly German magazine for financial stuff more or less) has released (now for the third time) new PS3, Wii and X360 HW sales numbers for Germany and as it turns out the PS3 price cut apparently greatly improved sales!

The October HW sales:

PS3: 37,000
Wii: 28,000
X360: 12,000

Keep in mind that during summer PS3 was hanging along with X360 at sth. like ~8k!

LTDs:

Wii: 389,000
X360: 328,000
PS3: 172,000

This also means that Wii sold 70,000 between August and September (LTD July: 291k), that X360 sold 35,000 between August and September (LTD July: 281k) and that PS3 sold ~35,500 between August and September (LTD July: 99,500).

Keep in mind: this is data from GfK, so its sell through and really reliable (GfK gets data from over 70% of the market according to their website).

Source: http://www.satundkabel.de/modules.p...article&sid=28018&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Or "Euro am Sonntag" which will be released tomorrow.

RBH

Australian charts:

australian-game-charts-whos-on-first-20071122030026491.jpg

australian-game-charts-whos-on-first-20071122030026272.jpg

australian-game-charts-whos-on-first-20071122030025209.jpg

australian-game-charts-whos-on-first-20071122030027569.jpg

Link to the rest of the charts: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/837/837397p1.html

spwolf

37k in Germany alone for October? Nice. Especially since it is not huge console market and price drops/40 GB happened in September.

Now check AC and COD4 sales - despite PS3 having 2x less userbase in Germany, they sell better on PS3. This is important for Sony.

Seems like Sony will do great in Europe for xmass.

Shiggy

spwolf said:
37k in Germany alone for October? Nice. Especially since it is not huge console market and price drops/40 GB happened in September.

Now check AC and COD4 sales - despite PS3 having 2x less userbase in Germany, they sell better on PS3. This is important for Sony.

The 40GB PS3 was released in early October.

Weisheit

Was this posted?

Wii the fastest selling console to reach 200k down under

Posted by Daniel Vuckovic on 11.23.07
Nintendo Australia has just announced that the Wii is now officially the fastest selling console in Australia, reaching 200,000 units sold. The Wii has done this just two weeks shy of its Australian one year launch anniversary. The figure includes all consoles and handhelds. To put this into some context the last reported Wii figures were at the end of Q3 with 167,899 units sold. This means that from the start of October to now the Wii has sold 32101 units in a month and a half. The Wii continues to be a success down under with the system having surpassed the GameCube by a massive margin in less than a year on the market.

dabra

France, week 44

1. PS2 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
2. DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
3. PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
4. Xbox 360 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
5. Wii Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo)
6. Wii Wii Play (Nintendo)
7. Wii Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
8. DS MySims (Electronic Arts)
9. DS Les Sims 2: Naufragés (Electronic Arts)
10. Xbox 360 Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (Ubisoft)
11. DS Pokémon Diamant (Nintendo)
12. DS Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral du Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
13. DS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
14. DS Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral Avancé du Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
15. PS3 FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
16. PS2 FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
17. PS2 Les Sims 2: Naufragés (Electronic Arts)
18. PS2 Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 (Bandai Namco)
19. DS Pokémon Perle (Nintendo)
20. PS2 Rugby 08 (Electronic Arts)

dabra said:
France, week 44

1. PS2 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
2. DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
3. PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
4. Xbox 360 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
5. Wii Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo)
6. Wii Wii Play (Nintendo)
7. Wii Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
8. DS MySims (Electronic Arts)
9. DS Les Sims 2: Naufragés (Electronic Arts)
10. Xbox 360 Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (Ubisoft)
11. DS Pokémon Diamant (Nintendo)
12. DS Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral du Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
13. DS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
14. DS Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral Avancé du Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
15. PS3 FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
16. PS2 FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
17. PS2 Les Sims 2: Naufragés (Electronic Arts)
18. PS2 Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 (Bandai Namco)
19. DS Pokémon Perle (Nintendo)
20. PS2 Rugby 08 (Electronic Arts)
WHERE IS MAR-I-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!????????

Tell me the game wasn't released in the week this chart represents. Otherwise France is dead to me.

Unfortunately the general public aren't that into Mario these days. I mean sure NSMB did OK, here in PAL and OK in USA, but nothing like those Japan numbers. USA has twice the population of Japan, but I don't think it even did half. I was speaking to this 14-15 year old boy, he said his favourite genre was platforming, I then proceeded to ask his opinion of Mario, "I hate Mario" he abruptly said" I said which Mario games did you play, "none, I just hate Mario". He almost broke my heart.

I then went on to attempt to convince him that Mario is the pinnacle of Platforming, and to some gaming altogether. Luckily I had a few of my goons (cousins, mario fans) with me who backed me up. But I still don't think he's going to even think off investing some money on a Mario experience.

R0nn

Souldriver said:

Tell me the game wasn't released in the week this chart represents. Otherwise France is dead to me.

AC and CoD aren't on the list either. Just take a guess.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Souldriver said:

Come on, you know that France is a Nintendo whorish country. Galaxy might be in the chart for a long time.

spwolf said:

Dude we know the PS3 has less userbase then then the 360, you don't need to spew the same mantra every time a multiplatform game sells better on the 360. Developers work on absolute numbers not tie ratio, if not we'd be seeing plenty more games on the GC last gen.

Luckyman said:
MS has a huge weakness in Europe but i think they can sell atleast 1:1 vs PS3 in the biggest market that is UK.

Wait, what is their weakness in Europe?

The Marketplace?

Seems to me like they're doing all they can do (same with JP). They're releasing games on time, availability is good, and most Live games are released in a timely manner when compared with the US.

And the quality of the games are good.

What am I missing?

J-Rzez

X26 said:
Guess we don't have to worry about the chances of an AC sequel, huzzah

Noper. Expect to see A.Creed 2 in 9 months, with a new cover system!

I'm actually very happy to see it sell well. I really want to see this IP again, hopefully Ubi can polish the hell out of it this time though, get rid of the fatal bugs.

doicare

gregor7777 said:
Wait, what is their weakness in Europe?

The Marketplace?

Seems to me like they're doing all they can do (same with JP). They're releasing games on time, availability is good, and most Live games are released in a timely manner when compared with the US.

And the quality of the games are good.

What am I missing?

Microsoft aren't doing much wrong, the problem is sony did everything right last gen and have built up huge consumer faith in europe. Even tho the 360 is cheaper and has the better games right now people are willing to wait for the ps3 to match it in terms of quality (a.k.a. 2008 the year of the ps3). Plus the red rings of death certainly hasn't helped...

spwolf

BishopLamont said:
Dude we know the PS3 has less userbase then then the 360, you don't need to spew the same mantra every time a multiplatform game sells better on the 360. Developers work on absolute numbers not tie ratio, if not we'd be seeing plenty more games on the GC last gen.

devs work on tie ratios + current and future console sales to project sales for upcoming titles. Considering that PS3 sold 37k in October alone in Germany, and outsold both Wii and PS3, any dev developing an game for 2008 will take this into consideration as well as really good tie ratios in europe.

And dont take me wrong, I am not saying anything bad about Wii or 360 sales/tie ratios, rather that they are showing to be good for PS3 which is good for PS3 future development.

Anyone else find it bizarre that PAL PS3 owners buy way more games than US PS3 owners?

It kind of lends weight to BenjaminBirdie's hypothesis that most US PS3 owners are just 360 owners who double dipped, whereas it seems like most PS3 owners in PAL territories are single console owners who will buy multiplatform games.

Top Bottom