• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2007 (Assassins > CoD 4 > Galaxy)

Rezbit

I'm not surprised to see AC do so well in Euro-land, after all it's based on a very important period of history for them. Galaxy maybe slightly disappointing, but it's hardly a bomba.

Lobster

Banned
farnham said:
NSMB and also SMS sold like 6 million copies worldwide

Well SMG just released..Its not fair saying that SMG only sold about 800k Worldwide! INSTA BOMB!

SMS has had 6 years..Super Mario Galaxy has had 1 week in Europe, 2 weeks in America, 3 weeks in Japan.

Its actually probably past 1 million WW already.

jesusraz

Dahbomb said:
R&C made a fucking massive bomba. This is a bigger one than Lair. Holy crap.... this sucks ass if you ask me. At least SMG is getting respectable sales though not as high as expected (hardly surprising, people overestimate Wii's hardcore fanbase).

What would you class the performance of Rayman Raving Rabbids 2's first week on Wii and DS then? It barely made a splash on Wii (No.21) and didn't even crack the DS Top 30!

Oh, and Metroid Prime 3 plummeting from No.3 to No.15 on the Wii chart is rather disappointing to see :/

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
I don't think Ubi cares if they sold to 1/3 or 1/4 of any given userbase. All they care about is total numbers. If totals for 360 are better (they will be) it'll remain the way it's now - develop for 360, port to PS3. As far as I understand AC has problems on PS3 (freeze-ups, tearing, framerate problems in later levels) which are likely due to it being just a port.

you think Ubisoft does not care about most important statistics (attach rate)? Thats just crazy. Good attach rates are crazy good for Sony in Europe (same as 360 in USA).

Both games are developed at the same time, both versions have issues.

spwolf said:
you think Ubisoft does not care about most important statistics (attach rate)? Thats just crazy. Good attach rates are crazy good for Sony in Europe (same as 360 in USA).

Both games are developed at the same time, both versions have issues.
It's a tool to gauge the possible success on a plattform. Your point was that Ubi will look at the respective attach rates of AC on 360 and PS3 and will say: Wow, 1/3 attach rate, that's awesome. 360 version sold a lot more and that's what Ubi will care about in the end. If they'll sell more software on 360 on a worldwide scale than on PS3, they'll develop for 360 first and think about PS3 later.

jesusraz said:
What would you class the performance of Rayman Raving Rabbids 2's first week on Wii and DS then? It barely made a splash on Wii (No.21) and didn't even crack the DS Top 30!

Oh, and Metroid Prime 3 plummeting from No.3 to No.15 on the Wii chart is rather disappointing to see :/
Are you comparing R&C to RRR2? :lol MP3 has had supply problems (at least around my city and lots of other posters reported the same). It won't bounce back to the Top 10 but that at least explains the sharp drop. And look at it this way. MP3 could actually drop sharply.

[Nintex]

The biggest brand in Holland had a commercial for Galaxy together with Nintendo. They're about 75% of the market here. Because of the TV ad they wouldn't sell the game before 16 november. They also had a 15% discount day for "Sinterklaas" shoppers two or three weeks earlier. Most parents got a DS with either Mario Kart, Pokemon or Mario Bros. or a Wii with Mario Party.

On the hardcore side, Assasins Creed got alot of attention. When I bought Galaxy on wednesday there were 20 people in line, the guy in front asked if they had Assasins Creed yet, they had it, but they weren't allowed to sell it unitll thursday. 18 left the line, the guy next to me asked for Ratchet and I picked up Galaxy.

Ratched costs between 79,99 and 84,99 euro's, no wonder it bombed in Europe.

Loonz

[Nintex] said:
Ratched costs between 79,99 and 84,99 euro's, no wonder it bombed in Europe.

I bought my R&C Future copy for 62.90€ in MediaMarkt (Salamanca, Spain). No wonder why Sony retains its brand power in Spain, and PS3 is the most popular next-gen console here right now :p (in fact there are more PS3s LTD sold in this market at this moment than Wiis LTD, incredible but true).

itxaka

Defeatist
Loonz said:
I bought my R&C Future copy for 62.90€ in MediaMarkt (Salamanca, Spain). No wonder why Sony retains its brand power in Spain, and PS3 is the most popular next-gen console here right now :p (in fact there are more PS3s LTD sold in this market at this moment than Wiis LTD, incredible but true).

source if you don´t mind?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ratchet & Clank like all first party Sony titles is €59.99 in Ireland. 3rd party games like COD4 is €69.99.
Don't know why its dearer for you.

Vagabundo

navanman said:
Ratchet & Clank like all first party Sony titles is €59.99 in Ireland. 3rd party games like COD4 is €69.99.
Don't know why its dearer for you.

Galaxy was €45 with the first week discount at smyths...

We're suppose to be rip-off ireland.

[Nintex]

Loonz said:
wow you guys got lucky:
74,99 here

Some retailers are offering the game for 29,99 with the purchase of a PS3. Some webshops already lowered their prices, but at launch it was 79,99 everywhere and even more expensive at some places.

Loonz

Vagabundo said:
Galaxy was €45 with the first week discount at smyths...

We're suppose to be rip-off ireland.

Well, you can buy SMG for 37.90€ in some places in Spain :p. Maybe here we are being less raped in game prices than in other countries of Europe... I've always believed that it was the contrary.

nli10

Uk - I expect only a slight decline for Mario this week as Wii shipments continued to be 'high' (around 150 units in some stores) but in single weekly shipments and selling out on day of receipt. I think it will bundled with practically every Wii sold between now and Xmas, as it's a top title and remains in stock everywhere that gets machines in. (hint - shop in games shops not music shops...)

DS sales are particularly buoyant as people are expecting them to sell out like the Wii has (they did last year here so who knows).

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
It's a tool to gauge the possible success on a plattform. Your point was that Ubi will look at the respective attach rates of AC on 360 and PS3 and will say: Wow, 1/3 attach rate, that's awesome. 360 version sold a lot more and that's what Ubi will care about in the end. If they'll sell more software on 360 on a worldwide scale than on PS3, they'll develop for 360 first and think about PS3 later..

not really, my point was that game sold great for PS3. When next AC comes out, Ubi will take an look at current state of consoles on the market (and PS3 will have nicer numbers by then).

For some reason, you seem to think PS3 version of AC was few months late or something?

spwolf said:
not really, my point was that game sold great for PS3. When next AC comes out, Ubi will take an look at current state of consoles on the market (and PS3 will have nicer numbers by then).

For some reason, you seem to think PS3 version of AC was few months late or something?
No. AC probably sold well for PS3 but it sold better on 360, despite having a lower attach rate, that's all I'm saying. When comparing PS3 to 360 sales Ubi won't look at the attach rate, because it won't stay that high when PS3 reaches 360 numbers. Or are you insinuating that PS3 owners are and will be buying software in droves?

Both versions may have problems, don't know about 360, but constant freezing , tearing and framerate issues are sure to be more severe than what 360 users are experiencing. And afaik AC is not the only UBI product that has problems on PS3. And with these sales it'll stay that way- higher attach rate or not.

kay

Phife Dawg said:
No. AC probably sold well for PS3 but it sold better on 360, despite having a lower attach rate, that's all I'm saying. When comparing PS3 to 360 sales Ubi won't look at the attach rate, because it won't stay that high when PS3 reaches 360 numbers. Or are you insinuating that PS3 owners are and will be buying software in droves?

Both versions may have problems, don't know about 360, but constant freezing , tearing and framerate issues are sure to be more severe than what 360 users are experiencing. And afaik AC is not the only UBI product that has problems on PS3. And with these sales it'll stay that way- higher attach rate or not.

Why would the attach rate go down when the console starts selling more? That makes no sense. Ubisoft should look at attach rate (for the future) and be "relieved" with the sales of that version as they know that a higher percentage of PS3 owners will buy their games even when they are all slightly inferior. Maybe they will actually start to make the games run as well knowing that. They aren't sabotaging their games on the system because they don't want it sell...

spwolf said:

The reason the PS3 version did better than expected was every UK advert for the game only mentioned the PS3 version. No suprise there. If MS stumped up the same advertising cash, the percentages would have been different.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
The Innocent X said:
The reason the PS3 version did better than expected was every UK advert for the game only mentioned the PS3 version. No suprise there. If MS stumped up the same advertising cash, the percentages would have been different.
Why that should matter in this context?

It is too early to say if this is a trend or an exception but the fact is at the end of the day AC showed better attach rate on PS3 than 360 and we have to give Sony credit when credit is due.

Gadfly said:
Why that should matter in this context?

It is too early to say if this is a trend or an exception but the fact is at the end of the day AC showed better attach rate on PS3 than 360 and we have to give Sony credit when credit is due.

It renders the attach rate meaningless, because advertising for the game was skewed. When we look at COD4, where this did not happen, the trend is reversed

Gadfly

The Innocent X said:
It renders the attach rate meaningless, because advertising for the game was skewed. When we look at COD4, where this did not happen, the trend is reversed
Do we have the exact numbers for COD4?

Rolf NB

danwarb said:
Attach rate does not scale in line with installed base, right?
Who even gives a shit? They have a data point now for what a multiplat game can sell on the PS3 when it comes out on the same day and isn't totally gimped. They can just work from there.

Sales opportunities go up with a larger install base and the quality of the title, and they go down with competition of comparable style.
Theories based on attach rates aren't terribly useful when you can just use real sales data.

Gadfly

The Innocent X said:
360 was 63% of units across 360, PS3, PC , DS ( based on first week ratios) , so likely the PS3 was about 20-25%
in that case, given there are three 360 owners for each PS3 owner, COD4 attach rates on 360 and PS3 are at best the same. no?

justjohn

more galaxy bomba news
denmark

LW

TW Title Developer Label Publisher
- 1 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT (MONTREAL) UBISOFT UBISOFT
1 2 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE INFINITY WARD ACTIVISION ACTIVISION
2 3 FIFA 08 EA CANADA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 4 PIXELINE: DANSK KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
- 5 PIXELINE: MATEMATIK KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
- 6 CRYSIS CRYTEK EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 7 PIXELINE: NATURFAG KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
3 8 THE SIMS 2: TEEN STYLE STUFF MAXIS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 9 PIXELINE: ENGELSK KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
- 10 PIXELINE: TRAFIKSIKKER KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
14 11 PIXELINE: LÆR AT LÆSE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
12 12 PIXELINE: LÆR OM KROPPEN KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
- 13 PIXELINE: LÆR OM GEOGRAFI KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
- 14 SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO NINTENDO NINTENDO
5 15 THE SIMPSONS GAME REBELLION EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 16 PIXELINE: LÆR OM DYR KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE KREA MEDIE
4 17 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2008 SPORTS INTERACTIVE SEGA PAN VISION
7 18 NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON EA CANADA PLATINUM ELECTRONIC ARTS
9 19 CRASH OF THE TITANS RADICAL ENTERTAINMENT SIERRA VIVENDI GAMES
- 20 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: SING IT! A2M DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS K.E. MEDIA

Gadfly

The Innocent X said:
Whats the source of your three times number?
spwolf.

This has been the basis of our discussion on AC attach rate. if you disagree with the ratio of installed base, then discussion about which version had a higher attach rate is mute.

Gadfly said:
spwolf.

This has been the basis of our discussion on AC attach rate. if you disagree with the ratio of installed base, then discussion about which version had a higher attach rate is mute.

Sorry, I`ll step out of the discussion then.

Mithos

jesusraz said:

Yeah, but keep in mind... MP3 is still hard to get a hold on in MANY countries in Europe.

Gadfly

The Innocent X said:
Sorry, I`ll step out of the discussion then.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I actually like to see some data that substantiates or refutes the 3:1 user base myself.

Gadfly said:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I actually like to see some data that substantiates or refutes the 3:1 user base myself.

No offence taken, but you are right, in my mind 2:1 seemed more realistic, but with no real figures it is a little pointless

German charts

PC:
1) Crysis
2) Call of Duty 4
3) Crysis - Collectors Edition
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Football Manager 2008
6) Hellgate: London
7) Die Sims 2: Teen Style
8) Enerquest 2 - Rise of Kurnark
9) The Settlers
10) Anno 1701 Addon

Consoles/handhelds:
1) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
3) Assasin's Creed (X360)
4) High School Musical - Sing it! (PS2)
5) WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 (PS2)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
8) More Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)
10 Singstar: Apres Ski (PS2)

pswii60

Frankfurter said:
German charts

PC:
1) Crysis
2) Call of Duty 4
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Football Manager 2008
9) The Settlers
10) Anno 1701 Addon

Consoles/handhelds:
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)

Singstar: Apres Ski is such a clever idea by Sony from a business perspective. I should imagine the milking will be forever more though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Frankfurter said:
German charts
Consoles/handhelds:
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)

Germans love the PS3. YAY!!!

Gadfly said:
spwolf.

Using spwolf as the source isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.

reminder

mckmas8808 said:
Germans love the PS3. YAY!!!

I love my PS3 for sure :D
I didn't bought AC or CoD4, though. Instead i gave my money to Insomniac for their awesome Ratchet & Clank, wich sadly didn't made it into the Top 10. :(

justjohn

Frankfurter said:
German charts

Consoles/handhelds:
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)
ps3 cod4 has gone above the 360 version this week. i'm guessing the uk will probably be the only place where the 360 version of AC will be above the ps3 version

ram

Frankfurter said:
German charts

PC:
1) Crysis
2) Call of Duty 4
4) Unreal Tournament 3
5) Football Manager 2008
9) The Settlers
10) Anno 1701 Addon

Consoles/handhelds:
2) Assasin's Creed (PS3)
6) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
7) Brain Training (DS)
9) Call of Duty 4 (X360)

even here no ratchet makes me sad, but otherwise ps3 is gaining more and more strength.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
justjohn said:
ps3 cod4 has gone above the 360 version this week. i'm guessing the uk will probably be the only place where the 360 version of AC will be above the ps3 version

Which is something that I would like to see happen in NA.

Top Bottom