• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2007 (Assassins > CoD 4 > Galaxy)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Irish:
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 17 November 2007
01 (__) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
02 (02) The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)
03 (01) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
04 (06) Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
05 (03) Wwe Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 (Thq)
06 (04) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
07 (07) More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
08 (__) Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
09 (18) High School Musical: Sing It! (Disney Interactive Studios)
10 (05) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
11 (09) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
12 (10) Cooking Mama (505 Games)
13 (14) Bratz: Forever Diamondz (Thq)
14 (12) Cars (Thq)
15 (15) Nintendogs: Lab & Friends (Nintendo)
16 (08) Ratatouille (Thq)
17 (16) Mysims (Electronic Arts)
18 (__) Resistance: Fall Of Man (Sony Computer Ent.)
19 (13) The Sims 2: Castaway (Electronic Arts)
20 (17) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)

...the lack of Halo 3 is disturbing

Arsenal

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's probably it right there. It's just not an appealing game to the current target market, and that's of course a shame. I think people mistake the cartoony, colorful presentation for "kiddie", and so it fails to attract the attention it really deserves and OH MY GOD I sound like a Nintendo fan circa 2004!

And this would explain why the Simpson's are selling better on the PS3 than Ratchet is?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I remember saying the same thing about Viva Pinata last year. Every day it's looking more and more like the PS3 userbase and the 360 userbase are made up of the same exact people.

Yeah, despite the amount of people's definitions of the typical Xbox gamer and the typical Playstation gamer, either the same games or the same types of games have been charting for both systems in every country.

Obviously, this bodes very well for PS3 games like GT5 and Killzone 2, not so much for Little Big Planet and Afrika.

Not a bad debut for Scene It, if it was anywhere close to #10 on the US charts it would be an overwhelming success for MS, especially considering the minimal resources put into the game and the opportunity for yearly expansions and sequels.

stilgar

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm amazed though, that COD4's second week is still > Super Mario Galaxy. Say what you want about shortages, there has to be a good reason that Nintendo would send their #1 game for the fall out without a much bigger shipment or a much bigger push, whichever is to blame.

no^^
Don't want to appear like Mario Defence Force, but it's only 2 days , not a week of sales for galaxy.

El-Suave

Here in Germany Ratchet launched on the same day as Assassin's Creed. That probably wasn't a good idea.
If it doesn't sell it'll make an awesome PS 3 bundle game for Sony. Which is a shame because it really deserved better sales individually.

Arsenal said:
And this would explain why the Simpson's are selling better on the PS3 than Ratchet is?

Simpsons is quite a bit more well known to people than Ratchet is, and as such it's known not to be a kiddie thing. To the public, this Ratchet game is a mascot game starring a furry creature and his robot sidekick.

Obaid

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Yeah, despite the amount of people's definitions of the typical Xbox gamer and the typical Playstation gamer, either the same games or the same types of games have been charting for both systems in every country.

Obviously, this bodes very well for PS3 games like GT5 and Killzone 2, not so much for Little Big Planet and Afrika.

Not a bad debut for Scene It, if it was anywhere close to #10 on the US charts it would be an overwhelming success for MS, especially considering the minimal resources put into the game and the opportunity for yearly expansions and sequels.

i guess this will change a lot after xmas when singstar is released and the audience is more varieted then it is today. Then we will see ratchet having legs.

Lightning

Banned
I don't think the Ratchet market own PS3's yet, that is really disappointing as I am having a blast with my copy of the game.

Even PES08 is dropping fast in the UK.

Overall quite strong for all platforms but damn, I only exception is Ratchet bombing...

Arsenal

stilgar said:
no^^
Don't want to appear like Mario Defence Force, but it's only 2 days , not a week of sales for galaxy.

EVERY week people use this excuse. Regardless, it is going to sell LESS next week, not more.

arhra

Yazan said:
No, no, no, no

Assassin came out the 14th (15th in Sweden). But I don't think that it would change anything.
The release date was the 16th. Stores may have broken the street date, but it was officially the 16th (at least, it was here in the UK, which is the chart we're talking about). New releases are Fridays, period (barring the occasional exception like Halo 3, which got moved up to a Wednesday for near-simultaneous WW release).

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Killzone 2 is going to be huge, whether it deserves it or not. Easily marketable, incredible presentation and it falls perfectly in line with market tastes.

Games like Ratchet will come in handy for the future, when the price of the system becomes more family friendly and the new buyers are looking at suitable systems. But for now, it's a bit sad to see it go this unnoticed.

reminder

ukcharts.gif

Busaiku

Arsenal said:
EVERY week people use this excuse. Regardless, it is going to sell LESS next week, not more.
Not saying it will, but typically, don't Wii/DS games sell more on their 2nd week?

arhra

Obaid said:
i guess this will change a lot after xmas when singstar is released and the audience is more varieted then it is today. Then we will see ratchet having legs.
Singstar being released won't make much, if any difference. That audience just doesn't buy £300/€400 consoles.

El-Suave

Arsenal said:

On Amazon.de (Germany) Ratchet costs 70 Euros, Assassin's Creed is 60 Euros and Simpson's is 50 Euros. Their pricing for Sony first party titles is insane!

Lightning

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I remember saying the same thing about Viva Pinata last year. Every day it's looking more and more like the PS3 userbase and the 360 userbase are made up of the same exact people.
You mean people with similar taste in games? Possible. The PS3 has been over flowed with shooters so they haven't exactly attracted the platformer audience yet. Until they expand their audience, this will continue to happen. What Sony need to do is stop developing so many shooters in house, 3rd parties are providing plenty....

The PS3, inspite of Ratchet, is still made up of too many shooters and only when Sony break free of that will they attract a wider audience.

Other then Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 I will be pissed if Sony develop more... Focus on other genres.

Tieno

El-Suave said:
On Amazon.de (Germany) Ratchet is 70 Euro, Assassin's Creed is 60 Euro and Simpson's in 50 Euro. Their pricing for Sony first party titles is insane!
It's because AC has a collector edition. What's the CE pricing? I sometimes see games who don't have a CE for 70$. If they have a CE it's either 60-70 or 65-70 or 65-75.

El-Suave

Tieno said:
It's because AC has a collector edition. What's the CE pricing? I sometimes see games who don't have a CE for 70$. If they have a CE it's either 60-70 or 65-70 or 65-75.

The Collector's edition is 79 Euros currently on Amazon.de (only available for 360 at the moment and with 2-3 weeks wait). It's not just Ratchet that they overpriced though. Happend to Heavenly Sword for quite some time as well. Also 70 Euros on Amazon. Kind of defeats the purpose of first party games being a bit more affordable. To be fair though it must be said that pricing is a bit more reasonable in other stores but Amazon must get their prices somewhere.

Lightning said:
You mean people with similar taste in games? Possible. The PS3 has been over flowed with shooters so they haven't exactly attracted the platformer audience yet. Until they expand their audience, this will continue to happen. What Sony need to do is stop developing so many shooters in house, 3rd parties are providing plenty....

The PS3, inspite of Ratchet, is still made up of too many shooters and only when Sony break free of that will they attract a wider audience.

Other then Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 I will be pissed if Sony develop more... Focus on other genres.

No. It's the same people. I'd say there's no more than 300,000 - 400,000 users, in NA at least, but I'm sure its a similar phenomenon/ratio in the UK, that only own a PS3 and not both a PS3 and a 360.

ymmv

Banned
El-Suave said:
On Amazon.de (Germany) Ratchet costs 70 Euros, Assassin's Creed is 60 Euros and Simpson's is 50 Euros. Their pricing for Sony first party titles is insane!

It's even more expensive in the Netherlands with prices up to 75 euros. Sony's first party titles should be cheaper than 3rd party titles, not the other way round. Maybe one reason why R&C is severely underperforming is simply sticker shock, especially when games more in line with the average PS3 owner's taste like COD4 or AC are cheaper.

Elios83

I'm happy for Assassin's Creed, I really want to know how the story unfolds, PS3 software sales are really impressive considering their installed base compared to 360 and Wii in UK.
But Ratchet :/

El-Suave

ymmv said:
It's even more expensive in the Netherlands with prices up to 75 euros. Sony's first party titles should be cheaper than 3rd party titles, not the other way round. Maybe one reason why R&C is severely underperforming is simply sticker shock, especially when games more in line with the average PS3 owner's taste like COD4 or AC are cheaper.

I would suspect quite a few people (such as myself) import these days as well. The games are region free and in case of most of Sony's first party stuff multilingual as well. Something is wrong though when I can buy an imported game for 60 Euros and have to pay 70 Euros for my "native" version.

Lightning

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
No. It's the same people. I'd say there's no more than 300,000 - 400,000 users, in NA at least, but I'm sure its a similar phenomenon/ratio in the UK, that only own a PS3 and not both a PS3 and a 360.
I'd say that there are no way are there that many users out there who own PS3 and 360 at the current prices and game selection. So just like I said in the NPD, I think you are full of it.

What you are trying to say is that 3/4 of the PS3 userbase in the US and now UK own 360's yet Madden 08 has sold over 500,000 on the PS3 so that means the rest of the userbase owns 360's? LOL. Keep thinking that.

No way.

Lightning said:
I'd say that there are no way are there that many users out there who own PS3 and 360 at the current prices and game selection. So just like I said in the NPD, I think you are full of it.

What you are trying to say is that 3/4 of the PS3 userbase in the US and now UK own 360's yet Madden 08 has sold over 500,000 on the PS3 so that means the rest of the userbase owns 360's? LOL. Keep thinking that.

No way.

I'm still waiting for one software debut to prove me wrong. Madden is a game that sells to all the people who buy PS3s between now and August. There probably are more than 500,000, look, It'd be silly to stand behind any concrete number, but I do believe that the phenomenon is a major factor in the software performance of PS3 games.

stilgar said:
no^^

COD4 dropped 33% from last week. Assuming all 3 versions had an equal drop, at best Mario's debut was 34% lower than the 360 version of COD4.

Oxx said:
Are Nintendo having problems with Mario Galaxy?

I haven't picked it up yet and I was pretty surprised to see it out of stock on Amazon/Play/Virgin etc.

What's the situation like in game stores?
In my town, I bought it on Friday and the store had sold out come Saturday. Though another store in town had it in stock... So I'm just guessing some places underestimated demand / received poor supply.

Lightning

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm still waiting for one software debut to prove me wrong. Madden is a game that sells to all the people who buy PS3s between now and August. There probably are more than 500,000, look, It'd be silly to stand behind any concrete number, but I do believe that the phenomenon is a major factor in the software performance of PS3 games.
What you are seeing is a clear difference in userbase size. The PS3 only has 1/3 the userbase of the 360 in UK therefore only gets 1/3 the sales. The same applies to the US, 1/3 or 1/4 the userbase = 1/4 the sales as well.

Unless you are saying that the 360 userbase is stupid? Because the PS3 1st party lineup this year has sucked, really really sucked, yet you think that 3/4 of the PS3 userbase is made up of 360 owners? Totally doesn't make sense, no sense at all.

I can understand games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5 etc... bring over owners that have 360's but nothing that the system currently has would attract them. Platformer fanbase though is niche, more casual/family, and the PS3 just hasn't attracted them yet.

spwolf

Sho_Nuff82 said:
calledit.gif

I'm amazed though, that COD4's second week is still > Super Mario Galaxy. Say what you want about shortages, there has to be a good reason that Nintendo would send their #1 game for the fall out without a much bigger shipment or a much bigger push, whichever is to blame.

yep.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BenjaminBirdie said:
If AC can beat SMG, I'm going to put GH3 360 over PS2.
I don't think the 360 userbase can manage that. That would be 3 different No.1's in a row; and then you've got Mass Effect selling well.

Lightning

Banned
Mario Galaxy is going to sell and sell and sell and will greatly exceed what COD4 and Assassins Creed are ever going to do...

It is nothing major 1st week sales especially since the hardcore base that populate the PS3/360 are very front heavy. Wii base, not so much.

ksamedi

Mario Galaxy has the best Wii debut ever people, don't say it bombed or underperformed. Its the best selling Wii game. Multiplatform releases naturally sell better the first few weeks. I think Mario will pass them eventually though.

Top Bottom