• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed PS4: The best game nobody is talking about

I really enjoyed Hot Pursuit but Most Wanted did nothing for me. From what I've seen, this new game seems like a mix of the two, which might not be okay. I loved just doing Hot Pursuit mode online (4 cops have to catch 4 racers before the finish line). Completely apathetic towards the completely open world/ unstructured thing that was Most Wanted.

Does this game effectively have a Hot Pursuit mode online?

BigDug13

Wow that 30fps is definitely noticable for input lag when playing with remote play on Vita. Almost uncontrollable.

Maybe that's why Sony is going uncapped on their first party games, to provide the best remote play experience with minimal input lag.

This is pretty sweet so far. Could use AA but everything else looks pretty dang good.

That would cripple framerates for something that you don't even notice once the car gets moving.

SpeedNut

Grrrr, my Target had two copies of this in today and my Amazon order is still in "who the fuck knows?" status. If it wasn't the free one I would have cancelled the shit outta that.

I thought Amazon auto adjusted the three copies to ~$40 a piece + Tax?

The impressions of the new Need for Speed I read on GameSpot were favorable. I might get it at some point if the online multiplayer is exciting enough.

AmyS

Bought the digital download last night. The d/l was pretty quick over XFINITY,
It was in 2 parts. Install was fast too. Had to get NFS Rivals since it's a FB3 game.

TechJunk

This game is the best launch title IMO. Picked up Ass Creed 4 and Killzone as well. Cop chases are glorious. Really disappointed at the lack of local coop, like others I thought you could do P1 on ps4 and P2 on vita.

My amazon order finally switched from December 27th delivery to November 21st, so I'll be getting this next week. I wouldn't mind getting some people from GAF to race with online. My PSN is gmrtom7, if anyone is interested.

Weenerz

Banned
I broke this game on launch night while streaming. I was driving at top speed and ran into a wall and somehow flew over the wall far enough that I spawned outside of the map. Good times, but I was unable to recover and had to start over.

breakfuss

Persistent online? So, it's like Journey with cars. That sounds pretty cool, actually. More games will probably start doing this.

kaskade

I was debating on getting this at launch but with amazon they didn't seem to know when it'd ship. Maybe I'll try and get it on sale during black friday.

I broke this game on launch night while streaming. I was driving at top speed and ran into a wall and somehow flew over the wall far enough that I spawned outside of the map. Good times, but I was unable to recover and had to start over.

Should have used that 15minute dealie to sace/upload that clip. There's a slight chance you could have used easy drive to restart mission or something to teleport you back somewhere else, but with how (I think) this game autosaves, you probably didn't lose much progress, I hope?

I'm excited to see what the Need for Speed Network app does. I don't think it's up yet, or I couldn't find it anyway. Same with the "overwatch" stuff, I don't think that's up, but there's some unlocks tied to it. Such a great game, so much fun, and the presentation is just perfect.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thought MW 2012 and Hot Pursuit were merely ok, but I adore Rivals so far. The open world is used so smartly with All Drive, such an exhilarating moment chasing another racer only to witness a few other players having a completely separate chase coming at us in oncoming traffic simultaneously.

Gunning for first in a time trial or race and questioning whether to abandon for escape routes the moment I happen upon a pursuit in the midst, or risk finishing the race when player cops suddenly try to take me down. Love the rush of trying to bank credits in a safehouse, as well as the focus on specific goals over merely ticking off gold medals in events across the map.

So far this is easily the PS4 game I keep returning to the most out of the 6-7 I have on my new console. Again, the last couple NFS games I had played were solid, but lacked the immediate hooks that Rivals has clearly given me.

Reposting my question from the PS4 OT:

So last night I bought Need For Speed Rivals from the PSN store. It downloaded overnight (along with the other 2 games I purchased) and installed, but it only seems to have done a portion, as after playing the tutorial I'm taken to an "Installing Game..." screen. Is it still downloading? It is going EXTREMELY slowly, about 1% every 5-10 minutes, with 55% to go. It doesn't show up in my downloads list. Is this something that will happen in the background like other game's downloading/installation? Or do I need to be in the game on this screen for the download/installation to take place?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Persistent online? So, it's like Journey with cars. That sounds pretty cool, actually. More games will probably start doing this.

Except EA cheaped out and don't run dedicated servers, it's all peer-to-peer.

Which means you'll be in the middle of a single-player race and if the host decides to quit it stops the race and takes about 3 minutes to migrate the rest of the players to a new host, then the game dumps you back into your race and you hit a wall and lose.

It's awful.

Luckily you can turn off online integration.

KalBalboa

Banned
Exchanged a copy of Knack for this and adoring everything thus far. My only beef is a lack of a "skip song" button, but maybe I'm just missing something.

So last night I bought Need For Speed Rivals from the PSN store. It downloaded overnight (along with the other 2 games I purchased) and installed, but it only seems to have done a portion, as after playing the tutorial I'm taken to an "Installing Game..." screen. Is it still downloading? It is going EXTREMELY slowly, about 1% every 5-10 minutes, with 55% to go. It doesn't show up in my downloads list. Is this something that will happen in the background like other game's downloading/installation? Or do I need to be in the game on this screen for the download/installation to take place?

that's how slow it is. such inconvenience.

Sean*O

Except EA cheaped out and don't run dedicated servers, it's all peer-to-peer.

Which means you'll be in the middle of a single-player race and if the host decides to quit it stops the race and takes about 3 minutes to migrate the rest of the players to a new host, then the game dumps you back into your race and you hit a wall and lose.

It's awful.

Luckily you can turn off online integration.

How do you turn it off? I couldn't find the switch in the game options and it auto connects when launched for me.

horsebird

Banned
For those who actually own the game, does 30 FPS detract at all from the experience? I read "30 FPS" for a racing game and make the kind of face people tend to make upon whiffing a nasty fart, but if it still feels fast and smooth I don't mind giving it a shot. I'll fire up a YouTube video in the meantime, but it'd be great to get some feedback from owners as well.

Amazon emailed me yesterday to say that my PS4 copy is coming in by Tuesday, but it's actually out for delivery! Didn't really like Most Wanted but I loved Hot Pursuit so I'm hoping Rivals is much better.

Ugh. Do you know if I can switch applications or put the PS4 in standby and have it continue to download? Or is this some "special" installation process that the application needs to be running to perform?

you can but but you can't really do much. you could watch some live stream on your ps4 or browse the internet. can't remember if you can run an app.

I WISH sony updates the firmware to maybe allow at least 1 game to suspend and have another game to run.

This happened to me on launch night. Yes it is super slow. I just ended up leaving my PS4 on standby overnight and the download was done in the morning.

I just picked this up last night based on NEOGAF Hype! I haven't played it yet, but hope to tonight.

Add me up if anyone wants to play

PSN Filth_Flannigan

daveo42

Banned
I played around with it for a few hours this weekend and enjoyed the openness and randomness of the entire game. Got objectives to cover if you want, or hop in a race, do some stunts, or even hop over to the pope side and chase down some racers and it's all seamless.

For those who actually own the game, does 30 FPS detract at all from the experience? I read "30 FPS" for a racing game and make the kind of face people tend to make upon whiffing a nasty fart, but if it still feels fast and smooth I don't mind giving it a shot. I'll fire up a YouTube video in the meantime, but it'd be great to get some feedback from owners as well.

Not at all. Game has a wonderful sense of speed and movement. The good thing too is that it's been 100% solid from what I can tell. No drops whatsoever no matter what's going on in game.

Sami+

GAF bros, mind giving me some insight on whether or not I might enjoy this game?

- I played and adored Most Wanted 05 and Carbon on the PS2. I loved the open world chases, and I loved the addictive sense of progression they steadily gave you as you worked your way up the ranks. I liked customizing my cars and I actually really did like how the races had the big barrier walls set up; kept me from getting lost and let me focus on the race alone.

- Played and didn't care for Burnout Paradise at all. I thought it was boring. I was constantly getting lost during races and spent the whole time staring at my minimap to make sure I didn't make a wrong turn. I mised the boss races from NFS and how each of those felt like a really major milestone to keep me motivated. The game was way too open and I didn't like it at all. Burnout Revenge was better (but not as good as NFS)

- Played Most Wanted 2012 for a bit , bit stopped pretty quickly there too. I don't remember if I had the same "getting lost in every single race" problem, but I do recall not liking the way you just found cars in that game. Didn't feel nearly as rewarding or satisfying as Most Wanted '05. I also missed the old slow-mo and boost mechanics Wasn't feeling it and stopped playing.

So with all that in mind, would you guys say this one's for me? I got really nostalgic looking up old MW videos, so I'd like a good new NFS.

.hacked

Must not have shipped many copies, best buy had stacks of 25+ copies of all the other ps4 games and 2 copies of NFS.

Top Bottom