• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

"Hey guys. Um, can I play too?"

This level made me smile a lot. I grabbed the shell from one of the koopas and threw it out into the ocean. The koopas reaction was priceless! It had its hands reached out as if to try and grab it with one last grain of hope and upon accepting its fate, bowing its head down in disappointment and then chasing me hungry for vengeance. All these little details are what is making me enjoy this game so much. Not to mention the Luigis everywhere.

Nekofrog

Banned
What I don't get is why he was impressed by the Ghost House in particular. It was definitely a fun level, but there were several much better stages earlier in the game. Like 1-Castle and Double Cherry Pass, for example.

While I will admit that the game picked up considerably once it got to world 3, so far I'm just not impressed. First two worlds were pretty meh, but it's getting better. We'll see if it continues to improve.

Berordn

Is anybody doing play throughs with each of the characters? including secret character?

Probably not right away, but when I go back to it I'll probably start working on those. The levels are streamlined enough that speedrunning with all the characters ought to be a fun diversion.

impirius

If you want to get 777 coins on the slot machine, just time it to the music.
Run over to the first block during the two-measure intro, then jump on the first beat of each measure during the main melody. You'll get cherries every time!

zroid

Banned
"Well, shit."

iEoUAGeu1BWUy.jpg

Gsnap

Is anybody doing play throughs with each of the characters? including secret character?

Eventually. Gotta get through everything with Luigi first. It's his year after all.

If you want to get 777 coins on the slot machine, just time it to the music.
Run over to the first block during the two-measure intro, then jump on the first beat of each measure during the main melody. You'll get cherries every time!

Yup. Cherries are timed with the music. Gotten perfects every time doing it this way.

Up to world 3-whatevertheghosthosueis. So far the game is pretty bland and uninspired, but the ghost house was a definite shining moment. Great tune, fun level. Hopefully there are more like it.

Ah, so you don't know what bland and uninspired mean, it's cool :p

you have good company in GAF. Our propensity to use unsuitable words outside of proper context is fucking gross brah

Berordn

Just beat the game. Pretty great stuff. Only complaint is that I really didn't like the Plessie levels/segments

Did you just not like Plessie mechanically or only the levels he was featured in? I thought they brushed on some neat ideas with it in
Bowser-2
but ultimately didn't do anything interesting with him.

TnK

I love how when the game was revealed back in E3, it was the most underwhelming reveal in that E3, but now after I am about to finish the game in its entirety, it is my most fun Mario game I have had since 64. I did not play either Sunshine or Galaxy 2, letting that out there.

I love how when the game was revealed back in E3, it was the most underwhelming reveal in that E3, but now after I am about to finish the game in its entirety, it is my most fun Mario game I have had since 64. I did not play either Sunshine or Galaxy 2, letting that out there.

I've always been a Galaxy 1 girl. Galaxy 2...there were some gameplay improvements here and there, but overall Yoshi fell flat for me and the pacing felt off. I had more fun with Galaxy.

Conezays

You might want to rectify that! Agreed though, great game.

Vaiim

Damn I want this game :(

5 more days for the UK launch. But I have Zelda: LBW and the Sonic Lost World demo to keep me going until then, it's a nice time to be a Nintendo gamer :D

my wii u died about 2 weeks ago in the process of shipping back to nintendo for repair

talk about bad timing :(

looking forward to getting to this at around xmas

RomanceDawn

I've always been a Galaxy 1 girl. Galaxy 2...there were some gameplay improvements here and there, but overall Yoshi fell flat for me and the pacing felt off. I had more fun with Galaxy.

You and I would divorce in 33 seconds or less after hearing that.

Neiteio

Galaxy 2 just wasn't memorable to me, and didn't feel like anything new or special after Galaxy 1. When I think back on it, all I remember is 1) the cool Yoshi level with the Spinies, 2) Bowser Jr.'s mech, and 3) the Mario-shaped hub world. Oh, and there was a cool tree level you explored with the inflatable Yoshi, and some nice moments with Cloud Mario. But yeah, those first three items are what immediately comes to mind.

Galaxy 1 was a far more memorable game, IMO. I can vividly recall every boss and world in Galaxy 1, like Tarantox in Space Junk Galaxy, or Bouldergeist in Ghostly Galaxy. So good, even if it were dragged down a bit by some filler here and there, and the sluggish pacing of the disk-shaped overworld (still preferable to SMG2's solution since it actually had a sense of place).

At any rate, I like 3D World better than both of them. 3D World feels like the most fleshed-out version of the Mario universe yet, with just as much variety but a stronger sense that it all adds up to a greater whole due to the free-roaming world maps. The levels may be thematically detached from the world map themes, for the most part, although some do reference the world theme (like seeing deserts outside the castle at the end of World 2's fortress). It recalls the epic kingdom-crossing adventure of SMB3. :)

Ugh, they're not screwing around with some of these world 7 stages. OUCH.

Time to practice up on some of these earlier stages I guess... :/

The Lamp

At the fourth world.....maybe I'm getting tired of the Mario formula but there's very little here I feel like I haven't seen before. Your typical platforming and easy difficulty. The blowing on the mic to make platforms move thing was kind of cool though. So is the multiplayer.

But it's hardly like "holy fuck change your life game of the year" game/level design or anything.

As someone who didn't give this game any of her attention until the week before release, this game was of the most pleasant surprises.

I haven't played many Mario games. As I said before in this thread, my experience with Mario draws from SM64, Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 1, and Galaxy 2. Even so, I know a damn good game when I play it. To think I almost missed this gem!

To start, the game is gorgeous. I don't know the technical details of it, and frankly, I don't care: All I see is a game that seems to look at you and say, "Fun" or "Come play!" The music, which I called "indistinguishable background melodies" based off the few trailers we got before release, is anything but. There are plenty of songs that you'll find yourself noticing and then enjoying. The game features a lot of content – so much content, in fact, that it kind of feels like a bit of a steal at $60. Playing through the first eight world took me about 13 hours, and I've yet to grab all the stars or go through the post-game content. That's money well spent.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (especially 1) are two of my favorite games, and I think the best praise I can give Super Mario 3D World is that it does a few crucial things better than those two games.

The level design is less linear than either of the Galaxy games. When there's not a different path for you to use to get to your end goal, there's enough content for you to explore and discover to help you through this level or the next, or just fun Easter eggs like this to find. The level that epitomizes the game's philosophy, I feel, is "Sprawling Savannah." Here you have this huge field to run around in: a huge area to explore and uncover secrets. There's nothing like it in either of the Galaxy games. A lot of this non-linearity has to deal with the verticality of the levels to incorporate the catsuit. There are some secrets in levels that can only be found using that power-up, though there are many exploratory endeavors that can be undertaken without it.

Power-ups: Another aspect I feel this game does better than either of the Galaxy games. The boomerang, catsuit, and cherry power-ups are more fun than any of the power-ups in the Mario Galaxies. Moreover, power-ups are incorporated in a better way. Not having a power-up to complete a level makes them valuable. Additionally, making power-ups optional has the effect of making the play style less linear. How you tackle a particular portion of a level depends on what power-up you have (or non at all). This helps the games replayability as it ensures that you play a level a little differently every time you play it.

The strongest criticism I can level at the game is that stupid timer that's present in every level. There's no need for it, and it adds unnecessary pressure. It can also hamper exploration as the timer can run out while you're just goofing around. However, it is mitigated by the checkpoint system as you're offered a lot more time after death, but a death from the timer running out is a needless death. Overall, though, it's an annoyance that you bump into every now and then.

In an age of shooters, resolution measurements, pixelgates, the desire to achieve a "cinematic" experience, this game is fun. It is first and foremost, and lastly, a game: And that's refreshing.

I'm not going to give a numerical score because numerical scores are stupid, but this is my game of the year.

Malus

Tried opening the home menu manual and console froze :(. I'm afraid to go back lol. Not sure if game's fault or the Wii U OS acting up again.

jakomocha

So much fun!
It's a little disappointing that if you are playing with just two people and one has the gamepad you can't split apart throughout the level/still need to share a screen. Also, it's annoying that the gamepad person automatically controls both players in the overworld.

Blizzard

Banned
the slot machines are not difficult. the "trick" I use is to count "1" when I see the icon I'm attempting to line up; then I count "2" the next time it passes, and "3" the next time. If you're consistent, you should have a rhythm established by now, so keep the rhythm going for a few more beats, and usually on the count of "8" I jump.

I wonder if your TV pixel refresh is too slow. On my Sony LCD in game mode, I can easily recognize the symbols as they go past. I can get four matches every time if I try. I don't go to the music or even really watch for the symbol. I just choose a symbol, watch the box for a few rotations, and mentally count a rhythm every time it goes past. After a few counts, I don't really look at the symbol, I just jump to the rhythm. Move on to next box, find the symbol, and repeat the process.
You may well be right. I'm using a 1080p monitor with the "Game" mode set. I think it's 2 ms pixel refresh? My eyes could just be bad, but yeah all the symbols look basically the same to me and go by too quickly to catch.

Now the rhythm with the music is probably something I can catch. Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins had the same thing where you could guarantee the result by jumping at the right point in the music.

Three stars and a stamp in Bleep Block Skyway... pain in the butt.
THIS I agree with. That sliding segment made me have a heart attack.

Top Bottom