• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Sane_Man

Just finished 100%ing the game with every character. My God that was difficult. No joke, probably the hardest gaming challenge I've completed! I loved Champion Road as much as I hated it.

McNum

Completed the story, mangled Meowser (and good on Bowser to realize that he should grab some powerups this time, too, when I heard the Double Cherry sound, I knew I was in for a frantic fight) and unlocked World Star and Rosalina. Good fun, gone back and started grabbing stamps and golden flagpoles, and getting a feel for how Rosalina plays.

Now is it just me, or does Fire Rosalina kind of feel like a downgrade for her? Yes, you gain fireballs, but you lose the spin attack, which is pretty useful overall. I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. Well, it's an extra hit and that's nice, too.

So, what exactly do you need to unlock Champion's Road at the end? All green stars, I imagine, but also all stamps and all golden flags? And do those stamps include the "Clear all stages with each character" stamps?

I think to get to Champion's Road or more specifically the Crown World it's all the green stars, stamps and golden flags up to that point, that point being something of a monolith at the end of the Flower World.
The character stamps for clearing all stages don't factor in since Champion's Road itself factors into obtaining those particular stamps, so that leaves just the stamps you find in the stages themselves and the odd Sprixie house on the world map I believe.

I also think that Rosalina is a lot more interesting to use without powerups that prevent the use of the spin attack which in itself is a good attacking option and an even better platforming aid, without the spin she's just kinda slow albeit with a pretty big jump at least.

McNum

Ah. Thanks. That makes it significantly less daunting to unlock. I wonder if I should use Toad to rush through the levels to grab the stamps I missed. Didn't think they'd be important. Got nearly all the green stars up to Star-2. Just missing the most recent stages there.

gdt

This game has a ridiculous amount of levels. It's huge. Beating Bowser is like 60% of the way.

Goddamn some of these are hard.

GF bought me this on the weekend. Fucking love it.

Question regarding the Mii ghosts times. Most people on my friends list for the WiiU are on Gaf, and when attempting to beat their times on some levels, even when I know I'm well ahead of them, I'm still not appearing in the top 3 let alone 1st.

I've even followed them to see if they do anything different and some even stop or go back for a block or something.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is it time + score together?

RiggyRob

Just popping in to say that this is a fantastic game, and it's a shame that it's been almost overshadowed by Mario Kart and others - me and the missus are going back and completing the levels with all of the characters, which is quite handy cause having to complete each level 5 times would have been a bit of a hassle.

Just wanted to know, if you use the Golden Tanooki suit that makes you invincible, is there anything that happens? I think in 3DLand it stopped you from having 'shining' stars on your save file.

jnWake

Just popping in to say that this is a fantastic game, and it's a shame that it's been almost overshadowed by Mario Kart and others - me and the missus are going back and completing the levels with all of the characters, which is quite handy cause having to complete each level 5 times would have been a bit of a hassle.

Just wanted to know, if you use the Golden Tanooki suit that makes you invincible, is there anything that happens? I think in 3DLand it stopped you from having 'shining' stars on your save file.

I think the same happens in 3DWorld. You don't get shiny stars if you use the Golden suit.

Roo

How can you tell if you used the suit in a level?

Eh.. that's a good question, actually.
I really don't know, I'm just echoing what people said back when the game launched.
I always avoided using the White Tanooki for the very same reason.

If anything here's the official list of what you need to to in order to get five stars:

Find all stamps
Defeating Bowser (World 8)
Find all green stars
Play as all five characters
Gold Flag in every level

Yuterald

Finally cleared Champion's Road last night! Did it first with Peach, no power-ups, just to get the basics down and learn the level. Felt okay and slightly satisfying. Forced myself to run it as Mario with, once again, no powe-ups, and after a few hours I finally pulled it off. Felt SO good. Easily one of the hardest challenges in a 3D Mario title. All I gotta do now is clear the final mystery box with all characters and I'll have the game done 100%.

Dereck

This is my favorite Mario game of all time. I already know which ones are the best, I just don't care about them in particular.

Pila

The other day I was playing the very last Mystery House with a friend, it took us a while to beat it. I liked it on on my own but I really liked it in multiplayer: sometimes you team up and make things easier, sometimes it's just more difficult with the other player around :D so much fun.

Wow,the mystery house marathon was hair pullingly difficult.
Now i just have the champions road to complete.
Hopefully it will be less frustrating.

Wow,the mystery house marathon was hair pullingly difficult.
Now i just have the champions road to complete.
Hopefully it will be less frustrating.

It is actually. If you're like me though and find the blinking blocks the hardest part of that, don't start with Peach. Use her last and Rosalina second last. If you screw up the timing of a jump by a fraction of a second Peach'll do her dress float thing millimetres from the ground and you'll die so many times. Use Mario/Luigi/Toad to get the hang of that section before trying it with the blondes. Oh, and having tanooki suits makes it like 40% easier if you can be bothered getting them.

It is actually. If you're like me though and find the blinking blocks the hardest part of that, don't start with Peach. Use her last and Rosalina second last. If you screw up the timing of a jump by a fraction of a second Peach'll do her dress float thing millimetres from the ground and you'll die so many times. Use Mario/Luigi/Toad to get the hang of that section before trying it with the blondes. Oh, and having tanooki suits makes it like 40% easier if you can be bothered getting them.

Beating it with one character is quite enough for me.

Ninja Dom

Alright guys, I'm taking a break from Bayonetta 1 (completed 2 playthroughs) and I haven't yet started Bayonetta 2. So I've decided to go back and 100% Super Mario 3D World and I'm having a great time.

And who found the stamp on world 6-3 without any help??

mantidor

Alright guys, I'm taking a break from Bayonetta 1 (completed 2 playthroughs) and I haven't yet started Bayonetta 2. So I've decided to go back and 100% Super Mario 3D World and I'm having a great time.

And who found the stamp on world 6-3 without any help??

I did! I think.

I really need to go back and finish the last three worlds but bayo 2 doesn't let me go.

DagsJT

Can't play Mario 3D World for more than 30 mins, I've never known a game/series to wind me up so much so quickly. Infuriating.

I returned to the game again recently to casually best some of my run times in a few random stages (you can obviously cut your standard times at least in half just using a regular Tanooki suit which I really personally get a kick out of) and man, it is just as fun and fresh as ever. I really wish Hayashida would reconsider and make some DLC stage packs, I would buy every single one. But I guess that ship has sailed at this point.

Deku Tree

I returned to the game again recently to casually best some of my run times in a few random stages (you can obviously cut your standard times at least in half just using a regular Tanooki suit which I really personally get a kick out of) and man, it is just as fun and fresh as ever. I really wish Hayashida would reconsider and make some DLC stage packs, I would buy every single one. But I guess that ship has sailed at this point.

If they give us another 3D Mario on Wii U that would be much better than DLC IMO.

alterno69

Banned
Late to the party here, wow, this game is amazing.
I haven't played a Mario game properly since Super Mario World on the SNES lol. Played a bit ot 3D land but never really got into it, handhelds are not my thing, but this game is superb.

The graphics, the music, the sound fx, i love hearing Mario footsteps, so cute. And some of the levels are just brilliant.

I specially like the 2.5D levels, so nostalgic after all these years.

This might be the best game i've played this year so far on any system.

theaface

Late to the party here, wow, this game is amazing.
I haven't played a Mario game properly since Super Mario World on the SNES lol. Played a bit ot 3D land but never really got into it, handhelds are not my thing, but this game is superb.

The graphics, the music, the sound fx, i love hearing Mario footsteps, so cute. And some of the levels are just brilliant.

I specially like the 2.5D levels, so nostalgic after all these years.

This might be the best game i've played this year so far on any system.

I've also only just started playing (got it about a week ago), and I'm having a blast. The music is utterly charming.

So far I'm about half way through World Mushroom, having collected all stamps, green stars and flagpoles along the way. I intend to 100% it apart from completing every level with all 5 characters because, well, that seems like a little bit of a waste of time, especially with a huge backlog which includes Captain Toad!

I borrowed this from my brother last year but finally bought it with some Christmas money last week and picked up where I left off.

It's simply amazing.

I'm currently on what I believe to be Champion's Road - nothing in game has said those words, but I beat Bowser's theme park land, got Rosalina and am currently on level Flower-Boss, the Boss Rush level.

I played the spike bridge level something like a dozen times Sunday night before having to quit in frustration, only to beat it in one try last night. The game is excellent about punishing you for your mistakes but also making sure you learn from them. It pulls no punches when you get in this far and I am loving the level of difficulty, just hard enough to really feel rewarding when you pull it off.

I understand some people were frustrated with the low difficulty of the beginning levels. I, however, have to echo the sentiment that it makes the game accessible to all ages, which is what Nintendo's always been about. Besides, it's easy enough to breeze through that stuff and start in on the really meaty end-game content if you want, but frankly, I had a BLAST with the early levels. They're gorgeous and varied and creative and just plain fun. The added "challenge" of finding all the stars and stamps is another great motivator, harder than just beating the levels, but not as hard as the champion's road stuff.

I had heard that the game keeps ramping up the difficulty, the creativity, and the fun, but I just didn't really believe they could sustain that through to the end of the game. I'm not there yet but I now have no problem confirming that the game just keeps getting better with each and every level.

Thanks GAF for your Mario 3D World screenshot thread, it's the reason I bought a Wii U and this game.

bftwh6U.jpg

Now to get Toad Treasure Tracker...

maxcriden

I'm currently on what I believe to be Champion's Road - nothing in game has said those words, but I beat Bowser's theme park land, got Rosalina and am currently on level Flower-Boss, the Boss Rush level.

It will be interesting to see if you are right. :)

(I'm really glad you're enjoying the game so much, Scooter!)

Oh shoot, I thought the whole post-game section was called Champion's Road, like the Star Road in SMW, but I researched a little - it's just one final level with that name? And it's harder than this stuff? Hot damn...

maxcriden

Oh shoot, I thought the whole post-game section was called Champion's Road, like the Star Road in SMW, but I researched a little - it's just one final level with that name? And it's harder than this stuff? Hot damn...

So much harder. I still haven't beaten it. You're super close to it, though! :)

theaface

Phew, just completed Champion's Road. That was mega tough! I took a couple of power ups with me - even having seen Youtube videos, I just don't see how people can beat some parts of it without the regular tanooki suit.

I've done everything else in the game apart from beat all levels with all characters and I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. It's hardly fair to the other games in my backlog!

All in all a great experience, and it's nice to be able to jump straight into Treasure Tracker after this.

JeTmAn81

I just went to play this. I had almost enough stars to get to Champion's Road so I thought I'd give those last few levels a shot.

My two year old has been playing with the Wii U a lot lately...so I'd copied my save into the other two slots. Not good enough. All saves are gone.

Now I'm depressed and considering hacking my Wii U just so I can load a downloaded save :(

Nose Master

I was going to try a challenge run of this where I couldn't collect coins, but it seems impossible due to the enemy subroom levels gating progress. :(

ec0ec0

come back to life thread,

so i just randomly came upon this...

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718915-super-mario-3d-world/74682366

Can someone with the game test this!? Using shells under water was one of the highlights in galaxy for me. I'd to see how it is in 3d world.

I lookep it up on youtube, but i only found people using (going inside) the shell while on the ground. I image that this would have to be in a level where you can find a koopa-troopa right before a water-swimming section, if it is an actual thing.

Top Bottom