• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

mo60

Isn't spoiler-tagging the final world stuff getting a bit silly?

Maybe.Does anyone have any tips on the final mystery house.I'm trying to play it with peach, but I keep on messing up because of the 10 second time limit to get each green star.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Maybe.Does anyone have any tips on the final mystery house.I'm trying to play it with peach, but I keep on messing up because of the 10 second time limit to get each green star.

Any specific ones you're having trouble with?

After around 400 retries on the final level, I managed to get all
green stars.

What a game. It's a testament to its quality that I kept coming back again and again to keep trying. Total game time 34 hours 9 minutes. I need to complete the levels with every character now, but I'll do that over the coming months. Try to get some multiplayer going to speed up the process.

mo60

Any specific ones you're having trouble with?

I don't remember what green star it was, but I'm having issues with the green star were you have to climb a bunch of moving coloured blocks to get to that green star. I rarely seem to get enough height to climb to the platform with the green star.

Niraj

I don't remember what green star it was, but I'm having issues with the green star were you have to climb a bunch of moving coloured blocks to get to that green star. I rarely seem to get enough height to climb to the platform with the green star.

Oh, that one you just have to keep moving and jumping really. You might be a little low and the end, but you should be able to get enough jump to float or dive over to the star.

olimpia84

Don't know if it is common knowledge, but I was amazed by the attention to detail in the game just now

Level 1-1 when first playing the game

zlCfzRgPfksDwFwKXP

level 1-1 after beating the game

zlCfzRgPiDYWEOxYv0

didn't realize until now that the background of the first level is actually the world map

That's crazy, didn't notice that!

I just got this from Toy's R Us using the 40% discount after buying Tropical Freeze :D

By the way... I'm looking 6 or 8 panel comic taken from a video where a guy is playing Mario 3D World, pick ups the bell power up and in the final panel he is dressed as a cat

Draconian

Started playing this game again and played the end of World 6 and the first level of World Castle. I have no idea why I stopped playing now. This game is fantastic. I can't wait to play more.

So apparently an 8-bit image of Luigi is hidden in every level of this game...?

Has anyone else heard this?

Easter eggs in EVERY LEVEL?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfvgm_nwBM

What is going on? Mind blown!!!

I noticed him in a couple places, and did some googling, and only found bits and pieces of info regarding his location. Then I found this video, which shows most of them. Even with the screen shots, some of them are hard to spot, kind of a Where's Waldo thing going on.

I haven't heard of this before, am I the only one?

Pretty cool secret!

Niraj

They mentioned it in one of the Directs if I remember right. Also mentioned the Luigi Bros bonus game during the same one.

They mentioned it in one of the Directs if I remember right. Also mentioned the Luigi Bros bonus game during the same one.

I had no idea, so when I saw this I was taken back a bit.

I didn't watch that video in full, because I'm still early on in the game, and didn't want any spoilers. So now that I know about this, I gotta keep an eye out for them, and try to spot them for myself. Awwww yisssss.

Niraj

I had no idea, so when I saw this I was taken back a bit.

I didn't watch that video in full, because I'm still early on in the game, and didn't want any spoilers. So now that I know about this, I gotta keep an eye out for them, and try to spot them for myself. Awwww yisssss.

Yeah it's pretty cool :)

Deku Tree

I noticed him in a couple places, and did some googling, and only found bits and pieces of info regarding his location. Then I found this video, which shows most of them. Even with the screen shots, some of them are hard to spot, kind of a Where's Waldo thing going on.

Pretty cool secret!

Yup. Year of Luigi. Lots of people have known that for a while. It's awesome.

mstevens

zlCfzRkeSY8DBY7abP

Whew! That level is crazy, even with power ups. I died twice after getting 4 of the keys, and once after getting all 5 keys, yet the level itself was perfect because every death was my fault. Such a good feeling when I finally got to the "Thank You" tubes.

10/10 game for me and it's easily a top 3 Mario title.

Xun

Am I alone in wanting to see the run button return in the next 3D Mario game?

It would work perfectly fine with full analog control in my opinion.

Just started this today. Finished world 2 getting all the collectibles as I go. Enjoying it so far but I'm so used to DKC:TF (which I'm playing along side this) that I find myself rolling into enemies a lot thinking it'll kill them.

I find the 3D Land/3D World perspective a bit hard to play from. I'm finding it hard to judge depth. Using the 3D in 3D Land helped this a bit but it isn't an option here. Even the Galaxy games suffered from this at times but not like 3D World where it is an almost constant annoyance. It has gotten a bit better as I play more though. A closer camera directly behind the player would work better for 3D platforming.

Still. Pretty enjoyable so far. I like the Ghost Miis running around the levels.

Oh and the visuals! Very colorful and pretty clean looking. The blurring of distant sections of levels usually looks nice but occasionally (Final level of World 2) it can look pretty bad. Foliage could use some work as grass and trees look more like they are made of foam.

Pretty cool secret!
Don't forget that you can access a Luigi brothers mini game from the start screen as well.

This level can ruin friendships...

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0193shx.jpg

This is embarrassing, but in total (over three different days), my friend and I have tried to beat this fucking level for seriously about 8-10 hours (total, not per day lol). We really are not bad players, and both decently good at platformers, but... this level man... Thankfully, we just laugh at some of our deaths (because of how stupid they are), but I gotta admit, sometimes you just start going a little crazy after spending so much time on one level.

We have gotten to the
"race"-ish part of the level where you have to collect the coins to open the box several times, but we always fuck at at the end of it (sometimes even prior to that lol). How close is that to the end? It feels like that should be the last part.

The absolute worst part of the level for me is
the stupid blocks that disappear every two seconds. I SUCK at this for some reason. I can do the first 2 with relative ease (well, the second one gets me sometimes if I am not focusing), but the final one is like... I dunno, there's a 80% chance I'll die on it. Thankfully, my friend uses Rosalina which is incredibly helpful with her in-air spin.

Next time we meet up and play, WE'RE GONNA BEAT THAT LEVEL. WE MUST.
:(

Niraj

We have gotten to the
"race"-ish part of the level where you have to collect the coins to open the box several times, but we always fuck at at the end of it (sometimes even prior to that lol). How close is that to the end? It feels like that should be the last part.

That's the last part.

mo60

Finally beat the
mystery house marathon
. I got lucky on my last try and managed to get the last couple of green stars without having to go through the whole level again.Now i just need to beat every single level with every single character. I will probably use the controller trick on some of the harder levels to do this.

Going through the game now to get all stars, stamsp, and golden poles. Was having a hell of a time on Star World, Level 3... Until I tried it with a catsuit and realized you could entirely bypass using the rollers in the second half of the level with some creative climbing. Damn, that made it too easy.

Started playing this game again and played the end of World 6 and the first level of World Castle. I have no idea why I stopped playing now. This game is fantastic. I can't wait to play more.

Yeah, i've haven't played this in ages, but think I should fire it up again. Once I finish Pikmin i'll get back into it.

Just came back to this for the first time this year to mop up the last few green stars so I can see whatever they unlock.

Wasted about 30 lives in Boss Blitz, only to stupidly forget to pick up a green star after one of the bosses. So annoying.

*shakes fist*

Still love it, though.

Deku Tree

Just came back to this for the first time this year to mop up the last few green stars so I can see whatever they unlock.

Wasted about 30 lives in Boss Blitz, only to stupidly forget to pick up a green star after one of the bosses. So annoying.

*shakes fist*

Still love it, though.

Your struggling to unlock only more struggling and fist shaking.

mantidor

I really need to finish the extra levles, my lack of TV is a problem.

Except that it isn't thanks to the gamepad, I have no excuses :p

Roo

Yeah, i've haven't played this in ages, but think I should fire it up again. Once I finish Pikmin i'll get back into it.

I'm exactly the opposite. I finished 3D World first so I could start playing Pikmin 3.
Unfortunaly, DKCTF got in the middle and my Pikmin 3 is still sealed :(

Albo

Champion road is such an amazing level. It seemed so daunting at first, especially after reading about it, and it proved to be for a short while but after an two hours of blood, sweat and tears (with regular mario/no powerups to challenge myself), I was flowing through the level with ease after I'd learnt each section bit by bit. It's like poetry in motion. The music and the visuals just top it off.

I managed to get to the final part where I had only one more key to collect before I got nervous, lost composure and flopped off the edge. Having to play through the whole level from the start constantly can get tiring, but the I found it fun trying to find the optimal strategy in each of the earlier sections to improve my time.

One part I had to eventually look up on youtube as I could not pass it consistently which was right before the second star where you jump from the vanishing blue block onto ground where the star is. Jumping back, then going forward was a strategy that worked for me more consistently.

Next time, I'll be able to finish it.

I had to use the tanooki suit to make any meaningful progress in champions road. I guess I just suck at platformers but I couldn't get past the very last part of the beat blocks section (the part where theres two blocks in a row that switch) for days, yes, literally days. I looked up youtube videos, tried new strategies, listened to expert's tips, but no matter how much advice I got I just didn't have the amount of required hand-eye coordination to jump up that last part fast enough. So I copped out and used the tanooki suit. I feel bad.

Also, I couldn't get through the piranha plant part without using the tanooki suit. I just can't coordinate myself to do it without hovering in mid air for a bit. Ah well, can't be good at everything. Embrace the tanooki. Its better than endlessly trying to beat it and getting super frustrated I guess lol.

I had to use the tanooki suit to make any meaningful progress in champions road. I guess I just suck at platformers but I couldn't get past the very last part of the beat blocks section (the part where theres two blocks in a row that switch) for days, yes, literally days. I looked up youtube videos, tried new strategies, listened to expert's tips, but no matter how much advice I got I just didn't have the amount of required hand-eye coordination to jump up that last part fast enough. So I copped out and used the tanooki suit. I feel bad.

Also, I couldn't get through the piranha plant part without using the tanooki suit. I just can't coordinate myself to do it without hovering in mid air for a bit. Ah well, can't be good at everything. Embrace the tanooki. Its better than endlessly trying to beat it and getting super frustrated I guess lol.

That part still gets me even now. I have the hardest time with it. The only way I can do it consistently is if I jump back and forth a few times and "prepare" for the final quick jump up there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Piranha plant part was the easiest part, I think. I died a ton of times on it in total, but I think I could count the number of ties I died there on one hand. Same for the swimming part, that's just an annoying time waste more than a challenge.

Beat blocks and the boost section are what chewed through most of my lives. I got pretty good at the blocks after a while though.

Albo

I finally did it! Feels so satisfying to do it with regular mario using no pwerups. Tried a few times after with toad as a challenge but don't have much motivation for now. I looked up some speedrunning videos instead which were awesome to watch, this one with regular toad and even this one done in much quicker time that uses the cat suit in creative ways.

I'm finding it more challenging trying to complete mystery house marathon as it feels like a chore repeatedly going through ones I've already done. Then once I get to a new stage, (I'm not a quick thinker lol) by the time I figure out what to do, the timer's nearly over.

That part still gets me even now. I have the hardest time with it. The only way I can do it consistently is if I jump back and forth a few times and "prepare" for the final quick jump up there.

That's what I did and got passed it almost 100% after that. Even if I missed landing safely on the ledge, I would just slide down the wall, then jump back as the blue block reappeared. It's possible to jump normally through that part in quick, short jumps successively like in the toad speedrun vid, but obviously the timing is stricter and you'd just need confident about it, to do it successfully (It might be easier with toad though, I'm not sure).

Piranha plant part was the easiest part, I think. I died a ton of times on it in total, but I think I could count the number of ties I died there on one hand. Same for the swimming part, that's just an annoying time waste more than a challenge.

Beat blocks and the boost section are what chewed through most of my lives. I got pretty good at the blocks after a while though.

I think the boost section people find tough because they don't a chance to practice it much compared to the earlier parts of the level which they do constantly before dying. If there was a checkpoint about halfway, people would be able to learn a strategy for that later sections much quicker, though a checkpoint would make champion road less challenging overall. It's mostly just reacting quick by ground-pounding when you sense danger.

What I like about it despite it being so challenging is that there's no random factor or luck based aspects. It's all player skill, reactions, timing, consistency etc. You have to be on point and fully concentrate on certain parts like the beat blocks and boost section in particular where there's a lot going on.

The swimming part is definitely a patience tester, and it's a dramatic change of pace compared to the rest of the level while allowing me to relax a little (or dread thinking about the next section), but I still have to be on my toes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There aren't any "random" factors but the boost section does throw one big wrench at you in the bottom corner. I had the rest of the keys and just needed that one, dodged the beams... but didn't know that one from the previous section overlapped with that corner. So I ran face first into that and it was enough to throw me off and kill me.

I actually found the Mystery House Marathon easy once I got it down. Did Mario and Luigi first, they took quite a few tries, but by the time I did it with the last few characters I didn't have much trouble at all. IIRC I beat it on my first try with Toad and second with Peach.

Xun

Am I alone in wanting to see the run button return in the next 3D Mario game?

It would work perfectly fine with full analog control in my opinion.
So I'm the only one? Fair enough.

I feel it works so well, and having full analog control in combination with it would be flawless.

I mean, the run button does seem kind of useless to me because like Deku Tree said, I had it held down the entire time I was playing anyways. It added nothing to the game tbh. And it often ended causing me to throw my friends off of one of those moving platforms when I would let go of the run button for a second then pressing it again as the platform got closer to where we were going, lol. The same button should not be used for Run, using powers, and picking up other players. D: I just don't see the point in the run button when you use it 99% of the time, anyways.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The run button allows for parity between controllers. The remote by itself would be pretty gimped without it.

Man, Star World 1 is kicking my ass. I spent 30 minutes this morning trying to get all 3 stars and forget about it. That last section with the swings and the rotating platforms is fucking bullshit.

Top Bottom