• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Deku Tree

So if I used the white Tanooki suit for a level, can I never get a shiny star, even if I repeat it and beat it without the suit?

No you just have to beat every level without the white Tanooki suit once to get the shiny star.

After you beat a level without it, the game will never offer you the white Tanooki suit on that level again no matter how many times you die.

If you beat a level earlier with a white Tanooki suit, then you can always redeem yourself by beating the same level again later without the white Tanooki suit. And you can still get the shiny star. You can't collect green start or get a golden flag after you have put on the white Tanooki suit.

Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise, it's not true.

No you just have to beat every level without the white Tanooki suit once to get the shiny star.

After you beat a level without it, the game will never offer you the white Tanooki suit on that level again no matter how many times you die.

If you beat a level earlier with a white Tanooki suit, then you can always redeem yourself by beating the same level again later without the white Tanooki suit. And you can still get the shiny star. You can't collect green start or get a golden flag after you have put on the white Tanooki suit.

Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise, it's not true.

Thanks!

haha

me and fellow gaffer Morfeo played Champion Road suitless on co-op. That was pretty fun, although the stage is clearly not designed for it

First we did it with the two princesses:

zlCfzRa_294HJpTN_a

Peach is OP on this stage :p

and then with Luigi and Toad, that was a bit harder

zlCfzRbBefAnwH7fHw

The camera will fuck you up playing co-op here, and the bubbles are really exploitable.. But it was great fun! Recommended!

Champions road is so damn hard. I manged to get the first star but...yeah I wasn't able to finish this stage.I think I'll try it again...with Peach.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Champions road is so damn hard. I manged to get the first star but...yeah I wasn't able to finish this stage.I think I'll try it again...with Peach.

Once you get the hang of the shifting block section, you'll eventually make it. The rest of the level is managable, the last section being the most tricky of the remaining.

But I think I spent at least 300 lives or something before I could clear it (played Mario without power-ups).

Peach's floating helps a lot in the two most challening parts

Timu

I'm pretty close to unlocking
Champion's Road.
Really excited because I love really tough levels.

Grats on the Wii U! Enjoy it! What all games did you get? Or plan on getting?
Thanks. Expect shots from me in that thread soon. I got Zombi U, Zelda: Wind Waker HD and TTT2 Wii U Edition, and will get another game or 2 soon.

Lebon14

Well... I'm only missing two levels to do with all chars.
Champion's Road is gonna be a pain. Peach is certainly the easiest to do it with (my first time was with her (don't understand this the wrong way please)). Especially Mario and Luigi. okay.jpg

I'm clocking at ~52 hours of gameplay.

I played 3 hours of this game co-op with my bro...shit is some of the most fun I had in ages.

Yeah, it really is. Prior to playing it co-op with a friend, I didn't think it'd be that fun in a multiplayer setting, but I was definitely wrong. So wrong that I decided to not play the game unless I was with my friend so we could explore the levels together and find the secrets. My friend and I are nearing the end of the game now (well, the post-game stuff, I mean). The final level will be interesting with co-op I'd imagine. Not sure if that will make it easier or harder, lol.

So I wasn't really getting into this Mario game. I kept hearing rave reviews and heard that it got amazing and then got even better but I couldn't relate. It felt like more 3D Land, which I also enjoyed but didn't really love. Mario Galaxy might have just been too good, if you catch my meaning.

I got through Boss Battle Blitz, which was a real pain to beat, and saw nothing else unlock. I was ready to put it down for a while before grabbing the rest of the thingies in the levels I missed.

But yesterday my better half wanted to play so I grabbed an extra controller and we went hunting for green stars and stamps. That's when it clicked! I didn't really like the single player bits, but I really enjoyed playing with someone else. It's fun to compete and cooperate in every level and there is more room to experiment because as long as someone is alive we didn't have to start back at the checkpoint.

We did go through lived like crazy though. We started at the 70-something I accumulated from playing alone to 5 when we finished. But it was a fun way to relax on a lazy Sunday.

Lebon14

BIe63TT.jpg

Finally beaten the game 100% with all characters. Alone. 58:10 is the time I spent on the game according to the Daily Log.

Amazing game. Yup. Amazing. Totally.

Gambit

BIe63TT.jpg

Finally beaten the game 100% with all characters. Alone. 58:10 is the time I spent on the game according to the Daily Log.

wow, congrats. I have four stars and only finished everything with Luigi. At the moment I am unsure whether I should go through the game again now (with the others) or wait.

If I wait a while it'll be like experiencing it anew, whereas now it feels like a grind.

Anyway, well done!

spekkeh

Banned
BIe63TT.jpg

Damn. And 58:10 is pretty quick I reckon. Though it gets easier of course once you know the levels.

I just finished the normal levels for the first time, now getting my ass handed to me on star world. I wish the game was more generous with lives though, don't want to go back to farm them.

Lebon14

When I started doing the levels over with other chars (finished the game with Peach), I tried doing them as fast as I could as some kind of challenge. Of course, since I'm not a speed runner, if the level was too hard for me to speed run, I would just put effort on finishing the leve. Exemple: Champion's Road.

@Gambit Like I said, put youself some kind of challenge or restriction while replaying. If a normal replay isn't enough. For me, see above.

@spekkeh The game is very generous with lives. The first time I went through the game, from World 1 to World Crown (until I finished every level with Peach), I entered Star World with 100+ lives. I didn't farm at all. I finished Champion's Road for the first time, I had... 23 lives left I believe? After that, I actually farmed though. There are only a couple of levels in Star World (2 or 3...) that are actually difficult. The first and the last one are of those. You'll get the hang of it. I remember having some difficulty too the first time around, so yeah. :)

Thanks to both of you, btw.

spekkeh

Banned
@spekkeh The game is very generous with lives. The first time I went through the game, from World 1 to World Crown (until I finished every level with Peach), I entered Star World with 100+ lives

Erm, either you did not die a single time, or I don't really believe you. I think I've lost a bit less than hundred lives in total, and already went out to farm twice. It's still at ~6 lives. (more likely we have a different perception of the term of course, I don't really like to replay levels I already finished)

zigg

Erm, either you did not die a single time, or I don't really believe you. I think I've lost a bit less than hundred lives in total, and already went out to farm twice. It's still at ~6 lives. (more likely we have a different perception of the term of course, I don't really like to replay levels I already finished)
I felt like this game was more balanced than most Mario games in the past decade or so have been wrt lives, but I also never really got dangerously low. Always hovering around 100-200. I had never even tried to go out of my way for 1UPs until I opened up Crown. Of course, I also played to 100% flags and stars up until Mushroom and Flower—maybe those revisits helped keep me supplied with 1UPs.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was at least into the triple digits by the time I got to Star World, and I didn't farm lives either.

On that note, if you really need to, W1-2 is perfect for farming 1000+ lives quickly. Plenty of example videos on Youtube.

Gambit

@Gambit Like I said, put youself some kind of challenge or restriction while replaying. If a normal replay isn't enough. For me, see above.

That's not a bad idea, I'll try to give myself some extra incentive this way. What I am still unsure about is whether I should go through it all character by character or level by level.

First all levels with Peach, then Mario, then...

OR

Level 1 with M,L,P,T,R, Level 2 with M, L, P, T, R

What I am very glad about is that I finished Champions Road with them all already. So I won't have to do that again

Lebon14

That's not a bad idea, I'll try to give myself some extra incentive this way. What I am still unsure about is whether I should go through it all character by character or level by level.

First all levels with Peach, then Mario, then...

OR

Level 1 with M,L,P,T,R, Level 2 with M, L, P, T, R

What I am very glad about is that I finished Champions Road with them all already. So I won't have to do that again

I first started with the mentality "Do a world's levels with Mario then restart with Luigi...", then I almost finished World 2, I changed to "Do the level with all remaining characters then, go to the next one". When you complete a level with one, you get in the beat for the other ones. Especially if you put yourself a replay restriction.

@Strampas Yes, it's hard. Prepare to lose a LOT of lives. Here's some tricks.

Champion's Road is a b***h. To be honnest, beside Peach and Rosalina, you'll be doing A LOT of trips to Star-5 (Super Block Land) to get Super Leaves.

First section: Octoombas.
With Luigi, Peach and Rosalina, it's possible to get accross the first large gap as long as you get a running jump at the beginning. Mario and Toad need a Super Leaf to do so. For the last part with the two moving blocks, it's possible to get across easily without much waiting. With Mario and Toad, you can long-jump your way across. With Luigi, he jumps high enough to not need to long-jump. Peach can hover across and Rosalina's double-jump does the trick. Predicting when the blocks will move is key in a good jump ahead. Also, those blocks moves FAST.

Second section: Fire Bros.
Luigi and Rosalina can jump hover a block high (Rosalina needs her double-jump however). The rest will have to jump around. Oh and... just don't care about the Fire Bros. If you keep moving, they won't hit you at all. Just keep in mind that they move away after two fireballs.

Third section: Small gaps & Chargin' Chucks.
Small hops are your friends. Small hop from section two onto a bar and jump over the first chuck. Note that, like in 2D Nintendo platformers, you can run across those small gaps. Then, jump on the safe platform. Jump on the bar that is attached to the wall and start running and dodge the first two Chucks as you deviate on the farther bars from the wall and jump over the two other chucks. Peach can simply ennemy-hop her way across since her hovering is handy for that.

Fourth Section: Bip-Blocks
The most difficult section of them all. You will be raging. Especially if you try not to use Super Leaves. I don't have magical recipes here, unfortunately. I personally wasn't able to get a reliable strategy for Mario and Luigi on this one. Getting a running start and getting on the blocks before they even appear (first blue set) is important as you can start running, jump on the other set (red set) and then on the third set, you need to run just a little bit and long-jump to safety.

The second part is tricky too. start jumping from the red block to the blue block above then to the red one beside and then to the blue one on top and then the higher red one and then jump across to the blue one and onto safety. The last red one is the difficult one. From the blue blocks, if you simply jump onto the next red block that is on the same level than the blue one, you are doomed unless you find a way to jump back down and try again. So, you have to jump on the higher one and then long-jump immediately to the blue one across a gap. I personally didn't rely on that strategy but it seems what Nintendo had in mind. As Luigi and Rosalina, with a Super leaf from the last higher red block, you can hover to the safety zone. With Peach... Peach as hovering. So you can technically take your time and wait to get your timing to jump across. Because, yes, the hardest part with Peach, specifically, is to get the right timing. You have to take in consideration that you have no momentum. Rosalina can save herself with a double-jump after doing a walljump if anything goes wrong but Peach can't if you miss your boat...

Third part is... it starts easy but when two of the same color blocks are next to each other, the strategy is to just keep jumping ahead. Peach and Rosalina saves face once again with hovering and double-jumping.

Section Five: Defeat the ennemies.
Three magikoopas. Just don't stay in place and avoid the corners. Any power-ups helps.

Section Six: Spiky Swings & fuzzies.
Pure platforming. The Pot Pirahna Plant helps tremendously with the fuzzies on your way. Again, Peach and Rosalina has an easy life with hovering and double-jumping. Just note that Rosalina loses her double-jump if you take the plant.

Section 7: Walljumping and ennemy-jumping.
The first part will be wall-jumping with Spiky Ant Troopers walking on the walls. It's possible to just wall-jump your way up in-between those Ants but... it's very tricky. If you have a Super Leaf, you should take the time to defeat all of them and just wall-jump your way up there. Rosalina can defeat them with her Star Spin.

The second part is jumping on Pirahna Creepers. Easy enough.

Section 8: Water block swimming
Just... just make sure you don't start to swim toward yourself (ie. away from the wall). When it reaches the right end of teh swimming part, mash-swim your way up, it's not tight but not loose either. Back on the left end, be sure to be already going down when heading for the clear pipe. Otherwise, you'll be likely taking a hit from the moving spiky block.

Section 9: Boost Pads & Ring Burners
Oh boy. The second hardest part in my opinion. So, it'd be best to get on the boost pad when the first Ring Burner's shock wave is already started moving toward you. It's important to get a timing here because it will decide where the other shock waves will be along the way. Super Leaf and Peach's hovering helps tremendlously dodging waves and clearing the gaps. The last part is the trickiest. You need to get keys that are at each corners and teh fifth one in the middle. Hovering will help you A LOT. Also, you have max momentum on this and it's easy to lose control. Be ready to take a hit or two (if you have a power up). Once done, get in the box.

Section 10: "Thank You!!" Clear pipes.
You can't die unless you miss the clear pipe entrance or suicide. That'll be stupid.

Section11: End Stage.
Well, enjoy the view. Be sure to get your VERY rewarding stamp and Gold Flag.

Congratulation on completing the course. To be honnest, if you are of sane mind, you'd prefer taking trips to Star-5 to get Super Leaves when doing this level other than Peach and Rosalina. Personally, I even got Super Leaves for Rosalina because, for me, hovering is more useful to double jumping.

My first time was with Peach without power-ups. Yep. That try I got it, I somehow been able to wall-jump in-between the Ants in Part 7.

It's very hard.

Hardest: Luigi ("leg struggle" then hovers with Super Leaf. It breaks timing)
Hard: Mario (No special abilities makes his run a pain)
A notch easier than Hard: Toad (Fast running helps the first part of Section 4)
The "Easier times": Peach and Rosalina.

Hope that helps!

Timu

I was at 92 Stars and thinking I would need just 100 to get to the final level with Bowser but then I saw it said 130 and I was like "WTF".

Now I'm at 100 Stars so 30 more to go!!!

DjRoomba

Banned
This game is insanely overrated.
Anywhere near the quality/innovation/variety/expansiveness of Galaxy? Fuck no
Nintendo's most dissapointing game in a while

AniHawk

This game is insanely overrated.
Anywhere near the quality/innovation/variety/expansiveness of Galaxy? Fuck no
Nintendo's most dissapointing game in a while

galaxy was pretty straightforward and simple brah. it's the presentation making the old and sometimes mundane seem new. galaxy 2's where all the good stuff's at.

DjRoomba

Banned
Care to elaborate?

Little bit. Feels to me like it was the same 5 lvls with the same music repeated again and again in slightly remixed forms for 50 or so levels. Fun, well made, but dissa[ointing coming from Nintendo. We should expect more.
This is not a 10/10 game

spekkeh

Banned
Little bit. Feels to me like it was the same 5 lvls with the same music repeated again and again in slightly remixed forms for 50 or so levels. Fun, well made, but dissa[ointing coming from Nintendo. We should expect more.
This is not a 10/10 game

I think it's sitting at a 93 metacritic, so calling it insanely overrated with a 10/10 feels... insanely exaggerated?

Deku Tree

This is not a 10/10 game

Sounds like you haven't gotten very far into the game. Yes the initial levels are quite easy.

spekkeh

Banned
Games journalism, GTA IV is sitting at 98 metacritic etc etc. Though I mostly agree with him so there's that.

I agree that it's not a 10/10 game and it's nowhere as exhilarating as the Galaxies; it feels more pedestrian yes. Still, I've had great fun with it until ways into mushroom world (I do feel a bit done with it now though). Would be a solid nine for me, so the metacritic doesn't feel very wrong.

I don't have much time to play and beat games but if they're really good I invest the time. I beat only a handful of games. The Last of Us and Super Mario 3D World were the last two of 2013 I beat.

prefer Mario 3D World. Felt like a kid playing through it. When I finished I was happy to have experienced the fun.

TLOU was awesome for the story but I felt bummed with how heavy the story was and a bit overhyped as best game ever.

one_kill

I haven't played this game for a while. I should get back to it and finish at least the last three stages. I'm not sure if I'm willing to finish each stage with the remaining characters, but that at least seems a lot more fun that failing to beat the last three lol.

Hopefully completing Champions Road isn't as hard as The Perfect Run... though a part of me thinks it will be, haha

Zero148

Don't know if it is common knowledge, but I was amazed by the attention to detail in the game just now

Level 1-1 when first playing the game

zlCfzRgPfksDwFwKXP

level 1-1 after beating the game

zlCfzRgPiDYWEOxYv0

didn't realize until now that the background of the first level is actually the world map

So my friend and I finally made it to
Champion's Road
. Um.. holy shit this level is hard, lol. We spent like 2 hours on it last night and still didn't beat it. The furthest we got was to the tall area where you are supposed to
climb the sleeping piranha plants. Speaking of which, how are you supposed to do that? We couldn't figure out how to get up higher... Jumping on them didn't boost you up high enough and we were doing the thing without power-ups, so no cat suit.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So my friend and I finally made it to
Champion's Road
. Um.. holy shit this level is hard, lol. We spent like 2 hours on it last night and still didn't beat it. The furthest we got was to the tall area where you are supposed to
climb the sleeping piranha plants. Speaking of which, how are you supposed to do that? We couldn't figure out how to get up higher... Jumping on them didn't boost you up high enough and we were doing the thing without power-ups, so no cat suit.
You get a high bounce on enemies in this game pretty much the same way as in every Mario game since SMB3: just keep the jump button held down.

You might have to time your movement between plants more carefully with characters like Luigi and Rosalina because, while they have a higher jump than the other characters, their ascent takes longer and if you move too quickly you'll collide with the face of an enemy instead of their top.

You get a high bounce on enemies in this game pretty much the same way as in every Mario game since SMB3: just keep the jump button held down.

You might have to time your movement between plants more carefully with characters like Luigi and Rosalina because, while they have a higher jump than the other characters, their ascent takes longer and if you move too quickly you'll collide with the face of an enemy instead of their top.

Oh, I guess I had been playing too much Donkey Kong Country Returns before trying that level because I kept trying to time my jump to happen when I hit the head of the enemy to bounce higher and it wasn't working, lol. Thanks for the tips!

Anteo

To roll you need to crouch then press run
To do a rolling long jump you need to run, crouch, start rolling and then jump

mo60

I finally beat
champion's road
. I had to use powerups and peach. I also almost died on the final section on my last attempt through that level.I only died a couple of times on the final section.Now I just have to beat that
mystery house
and get those character stamps.

Top Bottom