• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Does anyone else have to get every star/stamp before you move on to the next stage? Yeah, I'm that guy...and I'm not even really ocd =P
I'm the same way :D

Game is wayy too easy I just bought it last night and am already half way through world 5 and I haven't even played it that long
Yeah the game IS easy if all you're doing is running to the end of the level to see how fast you can burn through the game. If you actually try for the three green stars and stamp in each level it gets significantly more difficult.

Like the stamp in 6-1. What the fuck? What the fuck. I actually had to look online to find that one. *shame*

My Wii was a Last Story/Xenoblade, Final Fantasy CC, Smash and NMH machine.

I'll pick up the Galaxy games when I get my own WiiU.

Wait.....you own/owned a Wii and never played them? I assumed you hadn't tried them because you didn't own the system. This is even crazier.

....at least you're rectifying the issue eventually, so I can't be too upset lol

Loco4Coco

zlCfzRMzrfoVW8YQkd

zlCfzRM1JnMyBhAVpg

*Spoilers*
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/pap/zlCfzRMzVIsr3lPaY2
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/pap/zlCfzRM0AIoGXVDuFL
*Spoilers*
I love messin' around with the stamps!

"Stupid, sexy Tanooki Mario"

The Hermit

Finally played it until World 7, really fun, its like all Marios before combined:

Mario 1 - a bunch of references
Mario 2 - the same 4 characters with each ability too.
Mario 3 - leaf, death music.
World - classic enemies like the football dudes and even the spring ( I don't remeber last time I saw it)
Mario 64/sunshine - the 3D gameplay.
Galaxy - the music, the overall feel, Cpt Toad (fav part of the game)
New SMB - Mega mushrrom
New SMB Wii - 4player
New SMB Wii U - Miiverse
3D Land - a lot of things.

Great game, but its far from Galaxy, like I expected.
The biggest surprise are the Cpt Toad stages, when the music started playing I remebered him. What an amazing fella!

Lumyst

Oh yeah, I just got to that level! I'm loving the shiny gold foil on the walls, come to think of it, things seem "solid" and shiny in this game, is that what a "shader" is or is that something else? In any case, I like all the little touches, like seeing if I could ring the gongs (yep!) or in that flip-switch cake level, drawing on the cake makes sprinkles appear. As I said, "Feels like being a kid again" when just fooling around with the touchscreen! And leaving little words of encouragement along the way through Miiverse like we're on some crazy odyssey not knowing what crazy thing we'll run into next :p

Wait.....you own/owned a Wii and never played them? I assumed you hadn't tried them because you didn't own the system. This is even crazier.

....at least you're rectifying the issue eventually, so I can't be too upset lol

Oh, well suppadoopa isn't alone. I've admitted before that I haven't played the Galaxy games either, except for some of Galaxy 2, but I would sometimes watch my twin brother play them though so...(does that count?)

The music in Bowser World is fantastic. It's hard to believe this is a Mario game, but then again, I said something similar when I first heard the soundtrack for Super Mario Galaxy. I can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack.

I'm currently at the castle in Bowser World, but I need 6 more stars to proceed. Some of the levels in the previous world really got the best of me. I went as far as not even trying for the Green Stars in those ones. Ugh. Is there a way to get a death count? That's at the end of the game, right?

The Galaxy games are basically the magnum opus of not only 3D platformers or 3D action games, but all action videogames. Galaxy 1 doesn't even feel like a Mario game all that much, apart from its similarity (and heritage) to Mario 64 -- which also doesn't really feel like a Mario game. Galaxy 2 is a bit more Mario-y, but it's still way out there.

Oh, well suppadoopa isn't alone. I've admitted before that I haven't played the Galaxy games either, except for some of Galaxy 2, but I would sometimes watch my twin brother play them though so...(does that count?)

Took me years to finally play the Galaxy games, picked up SMG 1 on a whim at it's $20 price point. Never looked back. Best impulse purchase I made that year.

Bought SMG2 (at full price, even!) immediately after, and that ended up being the best Wii game I'd ever played. Got all stars on that one, and had a damn blast doing it all.

Theorymon

I've beaten the game, and am currently doing the post game stuff

I still have to collect my thoughts on this game and get everything, but so far, I think this is my second faveorite 3D Mario at the VERY least (with Galaxy 2 being my faveorite).

Also... (post game spoilers)
As soon as I reached Mushroom-7, I saw that it was designed around using the Tanooki suit, so I decided "eh screw that" and beat it with just Regular Mario! It made me burn through 30 lives, but man that extra challenge was very satisfying! It really forced me to take advantage of the momentum mechanics, which I feel are quite a step up from 3D Land's. There was also a spot where I had to do a tricky wall jump in order to make a platform!

So when I first got to the Bowser castle world, I sort of thought that was the last world...Boy was I wrong. I currently have about 275 stars. Powering through.

Some gripes:

Sprint, Attack, and Grab Teammate as the same button is fucking retarded. I've had episodes screaming at the TV because I've grabbed someone at an inappropriate time when I meant to make a very important jump and needed to sprint.

Busaiku

Oh man, the first few levels of World Star were ridiculous.
Thankfully it calmed down after those first three or so.

But Honeycomb Galaxy was amazing.

Is anyone else surprised or kinda bummed about the complete lack of Yoshi in this game? (Granted, I'm on level 6-3 so I have no idea of he shows up later on)
I mean, it's Mario 3D WORLD, the game Yoshi was introduced in was SMW and here are SO MANY SMW references. I'm stoked about the actual 5th character but at the same time I'm surprised it's not Yoshi - or that he just isn't even in the game at all, even as a mount. He'd be the ultimate bonus character too because he could have all of the character's powers combined: Luigi's jump, Peach's float, and Toad's speed, plus his tongue as an attack. Maybe they thought it would be too weird having him wear the power-up suits? It'd be so rad galloping as (or on) him through some of these levels.

;_;

So when I first got to the Bowser castle world, I sort of thought that was the last world...Boy was I wrong. I currently have about 275 stars. Powering through.

Some gripes:

Sprint, Attack, and Grab Teammate as the same button is fucking retarded. I've had episodes screaming at the TV because I've grabbed someone at an inappropriate time when I meant to make a very important jump and needed to sprint.
It's probably my Galaxy bias showing, but I don't like the run button. I understand why it's there (to allow noobs to be less precise), but I feel like the control scheme suffers as a result. It's a minor complaint, but I'd like to see it go away for 3D Mario.

Is anyone else surprised or kinda bummed about the complete lack of Yoshi in this game? (Granted, I'm on level 6-3 so I have no idea of he shows up later on)
I mean, it's Mario 3D WORLD, the game Yoshi was introduced in was SMW and here are SO MANY SMW references. I'm stoked about the actual 5th character but at the same time I'm surprised it's not Yoshi - or that he just isn't even in the game at all, even as a mount. He'd be the ultimate bonus character too because he could have all of the character's powers combined: Luigi's jump, Peach's float, and Toad's speed, plus his tongue as an attack. Maybe they thought it would be too weird having him wear the power-up suits? It'd be so rad galloping as (or on) him through some of these levels.

;_;
It's tough to do Yoshi in 3D. They tried with Galaxy 2, but that was really only within a very limited framework. I think the next Galaxy game, whatever it's called, will be the place for them to experiment with that. Steeper learning curve = more room to play.

MegaByte

Does anyone else have to get every star/stamp before you move on to the next stage? Yeah, I'm that guy...and I'm not even really ocd =P

Usually, but I wanted to see what happened if I didn't rescue all the Sprixies... the game stayed amusingly consistent with the situation.

1051.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since Chargin Chuck came back, I was disappointed they didn't bring back the Ninji from Mario 2 for the Japanese Levels.

I hope Super Mario 3D World 2 is a love letter to Mario 2
with the characters from Doki Doki Panic as secret characters 0.o that'd be cool

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just saw your video of the final level on youtube. I didn't see the stream but I know from the reactions here it was quite a challenge. What was the hardest part to master for you?
I made a bad habit out of always trying to repeat my first success for each part, even if it wasn't an ideal strategy and just ended up making things harder on myself.

The blue/red block staircase is the toughest part, at least with Mario. There's a lot of little things that add up: keeping enough speed, jumping high enough to clear each step but low enough in order to land and jump again quickly, doubling back at the end without accidentally doing a flip jump, etc.

The speed boost section at the end isn't quite as bad imo but arguably more frustrating because it takes more effort to get there and you don't get as many opportunities to practice it.

Kard8p3

I made a bad habit out of always trying to repeat my first success for each part, even if it wasn't an ideal strategy and just ended up making things harder on myself.

The blue/red block staircase is the toughest part, at least with Mario. There's a lot of little things that add up: keeping enough speed, jumping high enough to clear each step but low enough in order to land and jump again quickly, doubling back at the end without accidentally doing a flip jump, etc.

The speed boost section at the end isn't quite as bad imo but arguably more frustrating because it takes more effort to get there and you don't get as many opportunities to practice it.

The speed boost section looked like it could get quite frustrating. It was a great performance on your part. Where would you rank this final level when compared with Galaxy 2 and 3D Land?

whillywhack

Neo Member
I've been enjoying 3D World but I noticed one issue: the controls. The controls aren't bad, but compared to 3D Land, it's harder to get your jumps right. I've been falling off the map a lot and misjudging my jumps. The 3D in 3D Land makes everything smoother, and the depth actually helps you calculate your jumps.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The speed boost section looked like it could get quite frustrating. It was a great performance on your part. Where would you rank this final level when compared with Galaxy 2 and 3D Land?
I'm inclined to say 3D Land's final stage is tougher, but I don't know how much I can attribute that to the expectation of using the 3D effect (I couldn't see it and always felt like I was playing the game slightly handicapped) and the circle pad (never felt like I could be as precise on that thing as I am on a standard controller). I gave up on that and just Tanooki'd my way through it.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Galaxy 2.

I'd say that NSMBU is harder to 100% than this game (or any Mario game, for that matter). NSMBU took me almost a week while I managed to knock this one out within 48 hours. That's entirely due to Challenge Mode, of course, but if we're talking strictly about difficulty, then I think you have to include it.

qko

I've been enjoying 3D World but I noticed one issue: the controls. The controls aren't bad, but compared to 3D Land, it's harder to get your jumps right. I've been falling off the map a lot and misjudging my jumps. The 3D in 3D Land makes everything smoother, and the depth actually helps you calculate your jumps.

Mario's and Luigi's jumps in 3D World seemed slightly different compared to the hours if 3 D Land I've played in the last month.

So I just beat the ghost house in World 3. Fuck. This game. THIS. FUCKING. GAME. I can't even explain what makes it so fucking good. It literally surprises me every few seconds with more genius. You gotta love how they come out with an awesome fucking concept, use it for a couple min or a single level, and then completely trash it, while other games would make an entire game around the concept. So far, this has been the most magical, alive, whimsical, and frankly the BEST 3D Mario I've ever played- and that includes the Galaxy titles. And I'm only at world 3. I don't want this game to end, I feel like every level, and every minute, is a masterpiece. Oh, did I mention how utterly GORGEOUS every damn pixel of this game is? Just so well executed and polished. This single title more than justifies the existence of this system. Fuck me.

Thanks for this. I'm currently Larry David and was slightly starting to regret my purchase.

The game gets way better at World 3, I can vouch for this. The first 2 worlds were pretty enjoyable, but the game becomes drastically more awesome once you get a bit farther. I'm at the end of World 5 and it's basically as good, if not better, than Galaxy 2 imo.

HoJu

Beep Block Skyway is so good. You think the disappearing platforms rhythm stages are old hat, but then they bring in the double cherry power up and holy shit.

I had such a dumb smile on my face going down the slide trying to control and keep track of 4 Marios. Brilliant.

Air

Banned
-I loved the plessie levels.
I also loved how they threw him in 1 random level. That was my biggest surprise and I was grinning for that entire level.
-The latter worlds have a great difficulty curve. I had 50 lives around world 3 or 4, and by the end, I had like 27 left. My file says I've died 117 times or something (most of them were on purpose due to green stars, but a large part was because I sucked at a particular moment).
-The final boss is the best Mario boss by far. I wasn't expecting any of that at all.
-The captain toad levels are amazing. I said it in another post, but I would love a full game based around captain toad.
-The game is ADD central.
-I'm up to the post game stuff and the first level is already kicking my butt, but to my credit, it is 1am.
-If I had to describe Mario Galaxy as a 'magical experience', I would describe 3D world as a 'Happy experience'. Where Galaxy set to awe you with it's space theme, this just throws out everything and the kitchen sink to make you laugh and smirk and be happy. Mario galaxy was my favorite Mario game ever, but this game has tied it, easily.
-I miss triple jumping the most. I don't mind the 8 way analog controls, but there's something wrong about a 3d Mario game not having a triple jump.

Biggest question:

I've played Mario games for a long time, but I don't know why there are two types of ghosts in the main mario games (boos and the other ones that just kind of are in the way). This has been bothering me way more than it should.

If you haven't already, buy this game.

Top Bottom