• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game is cancelled after it's released -- Ashes Cricket 2013

Watch the Giant Bomb Quick Look and see the trainwreck of 2 years in development for yourself.

cricket_by_digi_matrix-d6vxpez.png

Have to admire for them to cancel the game after it's been released, and give refunds, compared to games like War Z or other dodgy games that are still on Steam.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/ashes_cricket_2013/news/505_games_cans_ashes_cricket_2013.html
505 Games announce today the cancellation of Ashes Cricket 2013. The game was released briefly on Friday 22nd November 2013 on digital PC portal, Steam, but has since been removed by 505 Games following negative consumer feedback.

"The net result of the challenges we have faced was a game which, despite our best efforts over the course of a 2 year development, couldn’t meet the quality benchmarks of either us, our licensors or our customers. 505 Games’ main priority right now is to protect the Ashes name and that of the ECB and Cricket Australia, and do what we can to recompense the cricket community.

"The people who purchased the game will be contacted very shortly with details of a full refund."

Ashes Cricket 2013 had previously been due to release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC in July, but was pushed back to November for quality purposes.

The game briefly appeared for sale last week, but was pulled from sale on Monday without warning

All the copies will now be buried in a landfill.

As someone who follows cricket, I never have paid attention to cricket games. Last one I played was a Brian Lara one back in '98.

Was interested in this, not sure how they messed it up considering the developer made a pretty decent cricket game in 2010.

Oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know anything about cricket, but based on the QL, there are worse games that are still being sold on Steam right now.

I wonder why they're doing this.

It would be hilarious if they released this for next-gen consoles, and instead of people thinking this looked like previous gen for CoD Ghosts, it'd look like previous previous previous gen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So everyone giving up on their physical copies they have now would be insane, due to collector's value in few years, or am I missing something?

Elvick

Banned
That doesn't seem like it'd be a good business decision, even if they "save face" with this... there goes 2 years of development and all the money involved down the drain.

Where is their income going to come from? Do they make other games?

Also, if it didn't meet their standards... why did it get released?

Maybe this is a crazy PR ploy for their real game?

ICPEE

Wow, I had this on my Steam wishlist since I haven't played a cricket game since Brian Lara on PS1.
Brian Lara is still the best cricket game...ever. All the other titles that followed it go from bad to horrible to Ashes Cricket 2013.
There will never be half decent Rugby and Cricket games, ever.

stilgar

I love you 505 games.

By the way, the are Phoenix games up to these days ? I really want to see their next opus in HD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This happened as well with an earlier NBA Live iirc.
With Elite, the game was shipped to retailers and sold early, but it was technically not "released" yet.

This is basically a recall of the PC version, which is doubly crazy because I don't think I've seen anyone rush to give Steam refunds in this manner.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be honest I'm glad. They could've guaranteed sales by virtue of being the only cricket game on the market.
Oh yeah, it's a weirdly pro-consumer move. I bet before this announcement, if you asked Valve for a refund, they would have laughed in your face.

I'm just wondering if the people who own the Ashes license made them pull the game or something. Certainly seeing "Ashes sucks" all over the internet is probably not what you'd want to see.

Has there been a good cricket game since

Brian_Lara_Cricket_'99_Coverart.png

Brian Lara Cricket '05 on the PS2 was meant to be a pretty good game. I never played it but the praise didn't surprise me as Swordfish was founded by former Rage devs (Rage developed Brian Lara '99 and Jonah Lomu Rugby).

Pity Swordfish couldn't do the same thing with their attempt at a new rugby game though, as World Championship Rugby was terrible.

Anyway, funny thing came out while I was still watching the Quick Look. The game looks fucking terrible. I hope Jeff and Vinny keep trying other sports games though, because I'd like to see what they think of Rugby Challenge 2. Not the biggest fan of it myself but it's probably an easy game to jump into for non-fans.

oggob

I had heard there were major problems with the game, sad that it eventually got scrapped...

Though it paves the way for Don Bradman Cricket!

FB_Bradman_01.jpg

Developed by BigAnt, they make our NRL and AFL games also, so quality may vary also...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Reading the statement it seems like they were told by ECB and Cricket Australia that it was so bad they weren't allowed to sell it with the Ashes name on it. I'm not sure it was 'cancelled' as such really, seems like the quality was so low it broke their contract as so it had to be pulled from sale (I suppose there's really no difference though). It's a shame really, I wonder why they weren't able to get a proper product together.

Nictel

So did 505 not play this themselves before release or did they just release it and thought 'maybe it won't be that bad'?

I am always wondering if there actually is a big enough market for such kinds of niche sports games, that would justify an investment in actually making these.

I love you 505 games.

By the way, the are Phoenix games up to these days ? I really want to see their next opus in HD.

Phoenix Games died soon after I stopped buying their shit to upload to YouTube. It's all my fault! :( No but really, they went under a few years ago, right before they were due to release their first batch of Wii 'games'. One of the greatest losses in the industry.

I am always wondering if there actually is a big enough market for such kinds of niche sports games, that would justify an investment in actually making these.

They're usually fairly low budget and cricket is huge in the subcontinent, don't know much about the console sales there but I'd say they sell a decent amount their, in Australia/New Zealand and South Africa too.

Nander

That doesn't seem like it'd be a good business decision, even if they "save face" with this... there goes 2 years of development and all the money involved down the drain.

Where is their income going to come from? Do they make other games?

Also, if it didn't meet their standards... why did it get released?

Maybe this is a crazy PR ploy for their real game?

I think that 505 games is trying to shake their image as a shovelware publisher; they have recently published both of Starbreeze's new games, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Payday 2, two high-quality games. I guess that the bad press this game is getting is hurting this endeavour, and it's better for them to sacrifice the potential income of this game and just consider it a sunk cost.

The biggest shame is that cricket is, by global attendance records etc., the second-most popular sport next to soccer.

How the sport hasn't received a true EA American sports-level game since the old days is an utter travesty.

This 'cancelation' just means it'll be pushed back to 2014, I reckon? I mean if they still have the license, and this is a yearly sports release, seems like that would be the most obvious course of action.

Top Bottom