• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game is cancelled after it's released -- Ashes Cricket 2013

legend166

The biggest shame is that cricket is, by global attendance records etc., the second-most popular sport next to soccer.

How the sport hasn't received a true EA American sports-level game since the old days is an utter travesty.

It's not popular in the major video game markets bar the UK. We'll have to wait for the rise in the Indian market to get anything with a decent budget.

A big budget cricket game using Wii Motion Plus is my dream.

legend166

Super international cricket, bitches.

Mash that appeal button.

HOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZAT

sammex

There was a spell of cricket sims (not counting ICC which is more like a cricket manager) in the late 90s which were fun but v buggy and basic. Then the ones that appeared around the 05 Ashes series again were good fun.

I was hoping this one would at least be playable for some semi-nostalgic goodness but I guess not :(

Screen3.JPG

Screen2.JPG

http://youtu.be/UM1nTPvcbuM

Cricket world cup 99 was my favourite (on PC)

Spin bowling was so good.

How that game took 2 years to develop is beyond me, did the developers learn to program during that time as well?

Hasney

Yup. The only really good ones were the Codemasters ones for a bit and Super International Cricket on the SNES... Even if the latter was all about spamming the HOWZAT button to piss off my brother.

Super international cricket, bitches.

Mash that appeal button.

HOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZATHOWZAT

Ahahaha, glad I wasn't alone. Think I missed several actual stump-outs just because I decided to appeal.

This Danny dude doesn't have much knowledge about cricket it seems, The no-ball is when you over step when bowling/pitching.

He's Irish and they aren't known for their cricket... He does admit. I used to play for my local team and I wish it was as exciting as this game makes it out to be.

thejazzking

Neo Member
I think it's more to do with them being forced to cancel it to preserve the Ashes brand. The Ashes and cricket sporting authorities wont want to be associated with a sub-standard game that brings their names and brands into disrepute.

To me, this makes more sense than anything to do with a developer 'saving face'.

How about a Kinect cricket game.

You would need double the normal requirement of the aircraft hangar sized room for the bowling but it could be good.

Oh and edit: I wish the real Ashes would be cancelled after the state that was England's batting in their two innings.

Corto

I wonder if JaseC bought this before it got cancelled? hehehe It should be a collectable in the future. If it has Steam cards it will be crazy.

Well that's what you get for not being able to date Elizabeth Hurley in it. Seriously though this looks like a piece of hot garbage that shouldn't of ever seen the light of day. Also, why is it that they only licensed Australia and England. It seems like a great way to severely hinder sales, especially on the subcontinent; and on a more personal level I can't simulate my Black Caps sucking.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm watching the quick look ..

fuuuuuuuck !!! if EA puts the money into ONE decent cricket game as much as they do in their FIFA or NFL games, it's be great .. there's not been a good cricket game since Lara 99'

This Danny dude doesn't have much knowledge about cricket it seems, The no-ball is when you over step when bowling/pitching.

He doesn't seem to know much about Australia either, going by his comments of the Australian cricket players being upper class. Cricket is played by the rabble in Australia and it shows in how they play the game, the cheating bloody convicts (never forget 1981).

I wonder if JaseC bought this before it got cancelled? hehehe It should be a collectable in the future. If it has Steam cards it will be crazy.

Of course he did. Someone asked him if he had it when they first took it down and he showed it off. Don't think it has cards though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Of course he did. Someone asked him if he had it when they first took it down and he showed it off. Don't think it has cards though.

It doesn't and from the sounds of things never will, which is a pity because they'd be worth a small fortune. :p If I was aware of the state of the game back when I pre-purchased I would've bought a spare copy or two to scalp; by the time I realised it was practically half finished, it was already too late.

seanoff

how did it get released to be withdrawn?

it's terrible. really awful.

actually they should release it just for the lols. hope bumble got paid.

a cricket game needs a commentary team of bumble, kerry o'keefe, henry blofled and possibly jim maxwell and aggers to hold it together while henry blathers on about the 452 bus and pigeons, kerry giggles at his own jokes and bumble just jabbers away incomprehensibly. then do a GB quick look.

to be fair there is a massive line of fabulous cricket commentary. that quote about Bob Cunis's bowling being like his name, neither one thing or the other is golden.

Jawmuncher

So anyone that grabbed that on Steam has a rare game or are they taking the game off lists even if you don't want a refund?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was it actually released to retail or was it purely Steam?

Retail too. Assuming the game is Steamworks, it's for this reason that I don't think 505 will remove it from everybody's account -- people would buy a physical copy and return home only to find the key activates... nothing.

That Giant Bomb video was awful. Americans asking whether Bumble's accent was posh or chavvy. Just no
You cannot convert people. Yes there are some awful matches but the same goes in any sport.

I guess you are referring to the South Africa v Pakistan match? That was a good 'un.

The general ignorance just annoys me, But at least it's hilarious to see their outsider's perspective on the sport itself.

Retail too. Assuming the game is Steamworks, it's for this reason that I don't think 505 will remove it from everybody's account -- people would buy a physical copy and return home only to find the key activates... nothing.
Insane, I cannot imagine how this got the go-ahead from anyone involved, I imagine the discs have to be pressed by now if they expected a December 5th release date.

Just noticed this on the dev's wikipedia page too, thought it was a bit funny.
Trickstar Games is a computer game developer founded in 2009, developing content for Nintendo and Sony-based platforms as well as Microsoft desktop-based computers. Based in Melbourne, Australia, Trickstar Games is lead by Mike Fegan and Tony Parkes, and titles include International Cricket 2010, JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters and the Abysmal Ashes Cricket 2013.

Top Bottom