• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed DS screens

rezuth

Amir0x said:
Maybe it's because I actually own a handheld that can handle quality racing games, but Asphalt Urban GT wasn't acceptable on the fucking NGage, let alone the DS. You guys lower your standards any more, and we'll have to be digging your faces out from Satan's ballsac.
Which brings me onto another question. Which is the best handheld racing game?

Amir0x

Banned
rezuth said:
Which brings me onto another question. Which is the best handheld racing game?

Well, I personally think Wipeout Pulse/Pure is not only the greatest handheld racing game of all time, but one of the best handheld games ever period.

Ridiculous amount of content, insane graphics, pitch perfect controls, finely tuned difficulty level, intense challenge, tons of free downloadable content, probably the best track design of any racing series (save some in F-Zero)

j-wood

Does anyone else find it really funny/odd how the back of that box repeatedly says "prequel to the CONSOLE VERSION"

That just sounds off lol.

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:
Maybe it's because I actually own a handheld that can handle quality racing games, but Asphalt Urban GT wasn't acceptable on the fucking NGage, let alone the DS. You guys lower your standards any more, and we'll have to be digging your faces out from Satan's ballsac.

You basically explained why you don't like AU:GT in the first line. The games are for DS..which means they're limited by the DS..they're good for the DS.

Amir0x

Banned
Lobster said:
You basically explained why you don't like AU:GT in the first line. The games are for DS..which means they're limited by the DS..they're good for the DS.

A shitty racing game is shitty, no matter what platform it is on. You should just herald Mario Kart, 'cause even though it does nothing for me at least it is competently designed. Unlike Asphalt Urban GT

Spike

Considering there is no console version for the Wii, maybe they could've released this on XBLA. I mean, they already have Prince of Persia on there, and they could have easily used that engine to make this "prequel".

Still, it could be good. But it probably won't...

Amir0x said:
Mario kart isn't a good racing game?

fernoca

Ehr..sorry for derailing this thread ...

So about the Assassin's Creed game..
Any release date floating around??
EB had the game for ages before it even was talked about, and now that the release is..real... the game is not there..

I love Mario Kart DS, although I think they made a mistake with the 3d karts but hit a home run with the retro stages. I LOVE old mario kart stages

I just want to put it out there that I called this game existing and even named it.

From the "Let's Talk Civily" thread:
I AM JOHN! said:
Actually, this is EXACTLY what I want them to do. Altiar's saga may be interesting, but I think he's a little too cut-and-dry. Desmond, however, has me intrigued, and I'd love to see Ubi expand on him, his background, and his ancestry. If Ubi's smart, this is what they'll do:

1) Have Ubi Shanghai make Assassin's Creed: Altiar Chronicles and go into Altiar's backstory (or possible future) to please the fans of the setting

Lol Ubi.

Gameloft also did Brothers in Arms DS, right?

They know how to get good graphics out of the ARM chip. Gameplay is another story.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't tell shit from those pics... couldn't tell if it looks good, looks bad, whatever. The POP remix for XBLA was pretty cool though.

jarrod

Banned
Well, Gameloft's DS efforts tend to turn out better than Ubi's other DS stuff anyway. I kinda wish they'd helmed the Rayman 2 port actually. :/

Amir0x said:
Well, I personally think Wipeout Pulse/Pure is not only the greatest handheld racing game of all time, but one of the best handheld games ever period.

Ridiculous amount of content, insane graphics, pitch perfect controls, finely tuned difficulty level, intense challenge, tons of free downloadable content, probably the best track design of any racing series (save some in F-Zero)

I couldn't agree more.

FordStang

At first, I was like that it looks nothin like the PS3 or Xbox version :D , but that game looks actually cool for a DS game. I would definately buy

Blackbird

From Ubisoft in my mailbox (and apparently also on Ubi's site now):
Assassin’s Creed spielt im Jahr 1191, der dritte Kreuzzug erschüttert das heilige Land. Man spielt Altair, der vom Orden der Assassine auf eine Reise durch den mittleren Osten zur Zeit der Kreuzzüge geschickt wird.

Das Spiel erzählt die Vorgeschichte zum Blockbuster-Titel, der auf der PS3 und Xbox 360 erschienen ist. In der Rolle von Altair ist der Spieler mit der Suche nach dem „heiligen Abendmahlskelch“ beauftragt, einem Artefakt mit erheblicher Macht, das den Ausgang der blutigen Kreuzzüge beeinflussen kann. Diesen Kelch gilt es von den Templern zu stehlen, bevor diese ihn in die falschen Hände abgeben. Dies hätte fatale Folgen...

Features:
- Man spielt als Assassine und profitiert von deren akrobatischen Fähigkeiten, mit deren Hilfe man Kombos aus Schwertangriffen und Tritten ausführt
- Es gibt 11 Waffen für den Nah- und Fernkampf: 5 Schwerter, Dolche, Bomben, Kletterhaken…
- Neben gnadenlosen Schwertkämpfen und mächtigen Kombos kann man seine Gegner auch mit Schleichangriffen beseitigen
- Man rennt, springt und klettert durch 4 historische, komplett in 3D gehaltene Städte: Damaskus, Akkon, Jerusalem und Masyaf, jede mit ihren ganz eigenen Look & Feel.
- Mit dem Touchpen des Nintendo DS werden Informanten zum Sprechen gebracht und wertvolle Gegenstände von den Leuten in der Menge gestohlen

and for those who don't speak / read / understand German:
Assassin's Creed takes place in the year 1191, the third Crusade shakes the holy land. You play as Altaïr, who, by the Order of the Assassins, is on a journey through the Middle East.

The game tells the story before the blockbuster console versions of Assassin's Creed (on PS3 and XBox 360). In the role of Altaïr, the gamer searches for the holy chalice used during the last supper, an artifact that bears considerable power that can determine the outcome of the bloody crusades. This chalice must be stolen from the Templars before it falls into the wrong hands, which would have fatal consequences...

Features:
- Play the assassin and use its acrobatic abilities to your advantage in combos during swordfights
- 11 weapons for close and long-distance battle: 5 types of swords, daggers, bombs and hooks
- Aside from the merciless swordfights and powerful combos, players can also eliminate their opponents using stealth tactics
- Run, jump and climb through 4 historical, completely 3D-rendered, cities: Damascus, Akkon, Jerusalem and Masyaf. Each with their own unique look and feel
- Use the stylus to interrogate informers and pickpocket precious items from the crowd
(rough translation from DS-x2.com, by the help of PlanetDS.de)

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Blackbird said:
In the role of Altaïr, the gamer searches for the holy chalice used during the last supper, an artifact that bears considerable power that can determine the outcome of the bloody crusades. This chalice must be stolen from the Templars before it falls into the wrong hands, which would have fatal consequences...

Oh so we're just going to use the Holy Grail now. Well that's an original idea, Ubisoft.

Blackbird

Crushed said:
Oh so we're just going to use the Holy Grail now. Well that's an original idea, Ubisoft.

Not sure whether this is the Holy Grail or the Holy Chalice. Both were said to be used during the Last Supper. The Grail makes a re-appearance when Joseph of Arimethea (sp?) catches the blood of Christ, the Chalice was used to pour our wine.
Then again, wine is also mentioned as 'the blood of Christ'... But lets not turn this into a religious thread ;)

M3d10n

Blackbird said:
Not sure whether this is the Holy Grail or the Holy Chalice. Both were said to be used during the Last Supper. The Grail makes a re-appearance when Joseph of Arimethea (sp?) catches the blood of Christ, the Chalice was used to pour our wine.
Then again, wine is also mentioned as 'the blood of Christ'... But lets not turn this into a religious thread ;)

I... don't think you've got the point. Unless my sarcasm detectors are broken.

Ok, that makes even less sense than just having a prequel to AC. There's nothing in AC to indicate that Altair had any experience with the artifacts prior to the Piece of Eden. Shit, the game outright states that
Christianity/Judiasm (Islam?) are false religions based around illusory events created by the Piece of Eden, so why Jesus would have had access to or even needed another artifact makes no sense, let alone the idea that Jesus' blood is in any way magical/holy enough to create a new artifact

Prince8

Banned
Assassin's on 360 was a really great game. Sure, there's room for improvement. But a great game nonetheless. And judging by the screens this one looks good as well... but I'm not going to play the game again in a downgraded form (graphics as well as gameplay of course)...

king zell

assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles-20080114113757815.jpg
assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles-20080114113757159.jpg
assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles-20080114113758440.jpg

assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles-20080114113756580.jpg
assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles-20080114113759096.jpg

January 14, 2008 - Though the game was a hit or miss depending on who you talk to, there's no denying that Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 was Ubisoft's big title of 2007. Throughout that game's development and even after its release in November, there were hints about the possibility of a Nintendo DS rendition hitting the system close to the shipdate of the console game. It's out of the possibility and into reality: Ubisoft has been cooking up an exclusive continuation of the Assassin's Creed storyline for handheld gamers: Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles is shipping this February for the dual screen handheld.

Altair's Chronicles is actually a prequel to the plot established on last year's PS3 and 360 games, exploring more of Altair's history in the Crusade's Middle East. In this game, players will unfold more of the storyline as they guide Altair through (and over) four cities to find "the chalice," an object of power that may have the ability to end the Crusades.

Gameloft, Ubisoft's mobile focused development studio is the group working on the DS rendition. Judging from the screenshots that Ubisoft sent over, it's clear that Gameloft's DS game is not based upon the existing mobile phone version. What's not clear is if the same team that produced last year's impressive and fun Brothers in Arms DS. What Gameloft has cooked up is a DS-centric rendition of the same acrobatic gameplay and up-close combat action that Ubisoft Montreal established in last year's console original. It all takes place in a 3D environment that utilizes the handheld's hardware strengths to get the job done.

According to Ubisoft, there will be nearly a dozen different weapons, such as daggers, explosives, and swords. There will also be an ever-important grappling hook to get up to normally out of reach areas. Of course, it really wouldn't be a Nintendo DS game if the development team didn't manage to sandwich in a few touch-screen gimmicks – in this case, you'll be able to pick-pocket victims and make informants speak by taking part in stylus-controlled mini-games.

Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles hits shelves in a few short weeks. We'll have more on the game, including hands-on play, as we get closer to its February 2008 release date.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/845/845344p1.html

Lobster

Banned
Aww fuck..was hoping for a sidescroller.

Graphics are alright..environments look pretty impressive for DS.

Still..was hoping for sidescroller :\

ethelred said:
Well that looks absolutely terrible.

Its DS 3D that isn't cel-shaded. You gotta put the goggles on.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
I've seen good DS 3D. This isn't it. It's absolutely terrible. Stop being an apologist for crap.

I've never seen good DS 3D that isn't cel shaded or isn't by Square Enix..

edit:The environments are impressive IMO though. You can actually make out what something is supposed to be.

Amir0x said:
It's great that I don't like racing games then.

And this is a thread about a dude running around assassinating people. I realize you didn't bring it up, but why push this thread further in a direction it wasn't intended to go?

So... Assassin's Creed DS... how pretty/ugly do you guys think this game is/isn't?

edit: ...

*finishes reading thread*

Well that's ugly.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Lobster said:

edit:The environments are impressive IMO though. You can actually make out what something is supposed to be.
This is funny in so many levels.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ethelred said:
Well that looks absolutely terrible.
Terrible? Nah. The graphics are not that bad compared to some other DS games, but hey, I using the word bad as a scale...

I wonder if the game itself will be good.

Amir0x said:

But DS is the only handheld out there with games.

Oh snap

ethelred

Lobster said:

Really? Because I have. From Namco and Level-5, from Tecmo and Rare, from Nintendo itself even...

If cel-shading is the only way to make decent looking 3D on the system, then developers interested in making good looking games should use cel-shading. Of course, it's not the only way -- it just requires giving a crap about the product you're making. If it isn't by Square Enix? Too bad; Ubisoft doesn't get a free pass because they're not Square. They're certainly capable of making a good looking game if they choose to.

They choose not to in this case because they're making a bad game. That's unfortunate, because they could've made it a great game, but it is what it is. And this is first-gen DS 3D. Hardly acceptable.

Lobster said:

I'm glad we're setting such a high bar.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
Really? Because I have. From Namco and Level-5, from Tecmo and Rare, from Nintendo itself even...

If cel-shading is the only way to make decent looking 3D on the system, then developers interested in making good looking games should use cel-shading. Of course, it's not the only way -- it just requires giving a crap about the product you're making. If it isn't by Square Enix? Too bad; Ubisoft doesn't get a free pass because they're not Square. They're certainly capable of making a good looking game if they choose to.

Ninja Gaiden is really only half 3D..I forgot about Tales for DS..truly an amazing looking game.

I've played Diddy Kong Racing and I thought that game was ugly :\

Also remember this is Gameloft who mainly develop mobile games. Apparently Brothers in Arms was impressive though..

I personally think this looks better than Brothers in Arms..

Also Vicarious Visions have put out some really nice cel shaded games for DS. Really proves that cel shading is one of the strong points for 3D DS graphics.

Top Bottom