• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where should Nintendo go from here?

BPoole

Why do you think they'd go third party for home consoles? They just shift all there focus to handheld consoles if they scrapped making home console hardware.

They would sell crazy amounts of games on PS4/XBO. Focusing on handhelds alone would alienate all the people who don't want to play games on a screen the size of their palm, and it restricts Nintendo from making fun local cooperative games on a big screen.

A game like SM3DW or SMG would easily sell 10m+ on PS4/XBO, which is a hell of a lot more than Nintendo is going to sell on the Wii U. Nintendo could even make the Wii U Gamepad compatible with those consoles solely for their games if they wanted to incorporate dual screen stuff into their games.

BPoole

You know, I really do like the idea of a Nintendo Steambox. Even though it is very, very unlikely to happen.

Nintendo and Valve would be very mutually beneficial for each other, right now.

Weird, I randomly thought about Valve and Nintendo pairing up earlier. They would literally be unstoppable.

AniHawk

Weird, I randomly thought about Valve and Nintendo pairing up earlier. They would literally be unstoppable.

of all two first-parties to team up, this seems like the best choice. still, valve and nintendo have very different approaches to actual hardware and distribution. i think their design sensibilities are largely the same though.

Log4Girlz

You know, one of the issues with this industry that makes it so fucking difficult to do business in is this...if you really fuck up, you have to stick with your mistake for at least 4 years. Even if Nintendo could release a brand new, superior console in say, 2 or 3 years, this would strain retailer relations and hurt your reputation even worse than the rancid garbage your previous product turned out to be. I do not envy Nintendo's position.

Ouroboros

Lower Wii U price tag. Sell it at a loss for now.

Make more games.

Try to get 3rd party support back. Pitch small downloadable games to 3rd parties for eshop. Not multimillion dollar ports like AC4.

Buy Rare back and let them go back to what they were doing in the N64 era.

Fabrik

Banned
Wait for December sales lol
Seriously, SM3DW released a bit late in November to have any impact but that won't be enough anyway.
I don't know if they can change the current trend, but Mario Kart is their last real chance.
The price is a bit too high, the name was poorly chosen, Nintendo hasn't released a truly ambitious game on its home console since 2007.
I miss this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKUXteBhv8

Compared to this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0WvNfHGzs

Which is the more exiting?

Phreaker

They have a few choice:

1. Start releasing software for hardware that people own
2. Start releasing the games that people want to own on their own hardware in hopes people will buy it
3. Create new hardware (I don't think they will do this though, Wii U is only a year old)

I would love for it to be #1, but I don't think they will ever do that. However, I thought the same about Sega during Dreamcast era.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
ride out the Wii U; protect the image of Nintendo IP; use excess money to build new studios in Europe and the Americas; further expand EAD; research new technology that isn't modernly redundant (gamepad isn't as "revolutionary" as motion controls were at the time).

I think they have the right ideas, they're just not big enough to execute them well. I don't think they even need 3rd parties to be "successful," they just need to be unique.

jblank83

They would sell crazy amounts of games on PS4/XBO. Focusing on handhelds alone would alienate all the people who don't want to play games on a screen the size of their palm, and it restricts Nintendo from making fun local cooperative games on a big screen.

A game like SM3DW or SMG would easily sell 10m+ on PS4/XBO, which is a hell of a lot more than Nintendo is going to sell on the Wii U. Nintendo could even make the Wii U Gamepad compatible with those consoles solely for their games if they wanted to incorporate dual screen stuff into their games.

There is not an unlimited market for some games. Increasing the user pool does not proportionally increase sales. Look at Okami and RE4: releasing on systems with much larger install bases did not drastically increase sales numbers, whether that system is the PS2 or the Wii.

Now look at Rayman Legends sales, and sales of other cartoony games, on PS3-360, systems whose biggest sellers are CoD, GoW, NBA Live, Madden, etc. There is no guarantee that Mario would find a welcoming home on Sony-MS systems.

Which makes this suggestion, aside from all of the other good reasons given against it, bad. No sane CEO would follow this advice. Which is why Iwata stated that Nintendo would go out of business before it would get out of hardware. It's not going to happen, end of story.

They'll try again later.

They might have a big success hot off the heels of WiiU, they might have a moderate selling console and then follow it with one that "clicks". They've got enough money to burn to try again and again if need be.

Now whether their shareholders will let them throw money away chasing something that may never be attained again (Wii/DS profits) is another question entirely.

Problems

1) PPl think it's an upgrade not a next gen system.

My solution: 360 Slim like redesign, shave $ from production costs if possible, alter the casing of the console so it doesn't look like a large Wii.
Slighly change name or make the distinction on store displays

2) RRP is a joke compared to 360,PS3,PS4

My Solution: Lower price if possible, do more bundles including Wii stuff to make it worth it to different gamers, not everyone has played every Wii game.
EG WiiMote Core Gamer Bundle with Pikman 3, Skyward Sword, Sin & Punishment 2, Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy.
Wiimote Casual Bundle, Wiimotes, and 4 or 5 casual wiimote games.
JRPG Bundle, with Xenoblade, Last Story, Fire Emblim, Rune Factory (all out of print collectors Items
Platinum Games Bundle (3 months after Bayo 2 launches) W101, Bayo 2, If nobody is gonna buy it they might aswell give the game away

3) Lack of games that use the Wiipad to it's full potential.

My Solution: Moneyhat some small indie PC devs and buy up the cream of the crop PC Steamlight games and make them all exclusives

4) Misc

Make a better account system.
Lower barrier of entry for smaller developers.
Where are the hardcore niche titles are usually flock to underperforming systems, like Shmups, Visual Novels on Jap360, Otome Games, Entrian Odyssey, Rail Shooters on handhelds? Give the best studios incentives and free dev kits.
Get more display systems running games in stores (I've never seen one of these in the UK)

If still not selling in another 12 months, offer console without the Wiimote, sell that separately.

As far as Nintendo's titles go, there's no reason why their games couldn't only run on the Steambox they release.

The point of SteamOS and the Steam Machines is to have an open platform. I can't imagine Valve allowing partners to place artificial restrictions on what games can and can't run on the hardware, it would effectively be a complete betrayal of their entire vision for the project. Individual manufacturers having proprietary software that doesn't work across the entire platform completely defeats the purpose of the "platform" standards.

Nintendo could make their games only run on SteamOS, the Linux-based open standard for Steam Machines. That would prevent the games from running on every PC, requiring users to at least have SteamOS to run the software. They wouldn't be able to prevent the games from running on other Steam Machines or PCs that have been setup to run SteamOS, however.

PS: I find it amusing how only in Nintendo threads can we talk about how a company could specifically, intentionally hobble open standards to make their software run on as few systems as possible without people (quite reasonably) crying bloody murder about tyrannical anti-consumer practices. No, when people suggest Nintendo could try to adopt more open standards they're either port beggars or have an obvious anti-Nintendo agenda rather than just wanting better business practices.

zeldablue

Do what the 3DS did?

Announce a crap ton of titles next month for the year of 2014. New Zelda, New Starfox, New Metriod, New IP, Bayonetta 2, DK, X, Fire Emblem crossover, New Kid Icarus, New Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Another Zelda remake, Mario remake, and Smash Bros. Also allow for more integration with the 3DS. I'd rather play my 3DS games on the big screen. =/

Just show everything! And then give the system a good price drop.

Other recommendations: Remodel the system and the gamepad to make it look "hardcore," Market the system as if it were "hardcore" even if it isn't. And drop the "Wii" brand. Name it the "U" or name it the Wii 2. Oh...and be nice to your fans on Youtube.

They will have to lower the price of the console/bundles that will grab people's attention. An aggressive $100 price cut and new ambassador program that further rewards owners who already spent over $300 on it. Then they need to advertise the great games the system already has/will have. If they do this the Wii U should hang in there until 2016 or so.

leroidys

I have some good ideas. If Nintendo would do these, they'd find themselves on top:

• Get rid of the tablet controller. I've asked about 10 people and only 1 person admitted to liking it. They looked sad when they said it though.
  • Make the system $100. Bundle it with a 3DS for $125. $126 and you're dead meat.
  • Get Mario Kart and Smash out by March.
  • Tell 'From Software' to stop what they're doing and make a new Zelda by Christmas.
  • Create at least 10 new IPs for this year. Nobody will complain about more though.
  • "Money hat" third party exclusives like Halo 5 and GTA 6. Release them tomorrow.

Give this man a job, nintendo.

Padinn

I honestly like the name "Wii Too" (and I'm deliberately spelling it that way). If I recall correctly, "Wii" was chosen because it sounds like "We" and Nintendo wanted to include more members. "We Too" fits that model and also sounds exactly like "two" - suggesting something added and including more people.

Anyway, maybe I'm just nuts :)

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I honestly like the name "Wii Too" (and I'm deliberately spelling it that way). If I recall correctly, "Wii" was chosen because it sounds like "We" and Nintendo wanted to include more members. "We Too" fits that model and also sounds exactly like "two" - suggesting something added and including more people.

Anyway, maybe I'm just nuts :)

I always thought they would name the Wii successor this. It's just "too" good.

Anth0ny

I think if there is ONE rule Nintendo needs to completely accept and embrace going into next gen, it would be something like this:

Your console must have the best (or on par with the other consoles) version of Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, Madden, FIFA, NBA 2K and any other major 3rd party game.

pVUV4uE.png

If they can't realize this with their next console, they should probably just stay the fuck home. At this point it's clear that they can't find success in the console space with only first party support (the third party support for Wii U is negligible). The biggest games in the world are not Mario or Mario Kart, it's Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. They need to accept this, and if they don't, they will continue to struggle.

How can they achieve this?

First thing's first: they need to build something on par with the competition and is easy to develop for. The era of trying to catch lightning in a bottle with an underpowered/underpriced/gimmick controller console began with the Wii and ended about 4 years into the Wii's life. Co-operate with devs when putting the box together, like Sony did. The PS4 seems to be a dream to work on, plus it's relatively inexpensive and the most powerful console of the current gen. Nintendo needs it's own PS4.

Obviously, that won't be enough to win back the masses. You can make a powerful, affordable console with all of the biggest third party games... but why would anyone buy COD or FIFA for Nintendo over Playstation or Xbox?

Nintendo needs to totally rebrand.

The Nintendo brand is weaker than ever in the eyes of the largest, most dedicated audience in the world for console games: The 18-35 year old male, more commonly known as the "dudebro". Now that the "casual" audience has more or less moved on to mobile games, this seems pretty indisputable at this point.

These are the players who buy shooters and sports games every year. The guys who were waiting in line at midnight a couple of Fridays ago to drop $400+ on the new consoles and take off school/work to play all day. These are also the people who are telling their family and friends about how awesome the new console is, and will defend it to the death (usually making up things along the way. dat brand dedication)

The marketing for the Wii appealed to all ages. It mainly portrayed attractive teens/young adults in the commercials. The Wii would like to play ads were awesome. So while it found it's audience (and that was a HUGE audience... that isn't coming back), it completely missed this dudebro audience.

For some reason, with the Wii U, they dropped this image completely and have decided to put lame, little kids and their goofy ass parents into their commercials... Effectively appealing to no one. They are selling a console that looks lame to KIDS, let alone 18-35 males. They wouldn't be caught dead playing this thing.

Nintendo has managed to COMPLETELY alienate themselves from the largest audience in games because of their style of marketing and branding over the last 12 years. Gamecube was kiddy, Barney the dinosaur looking shit that didn't have GTA. Wii had a dildo controller and shit graphics. Wii U... doesn't even exist, because Nintendo hasn't been trying to market towards this audience (or anyone, really) AT ALL.

At this point, Nintendo has a pretty weak argument in convincing any 18-35 year old male to pick up their console and use it as their primary games machine. Not only does it not have the biggest games of the year (Madden, Grand Theft Auto), but why the fuck would anyone want to play it on that kiddy system with shit graphics when they could play it on their badass Xbox or Playstation?

I think this is by far their biggest problem. Nintendo's consoles are seen as the system "for kids", not for "all ages", and not even remotely "for adults". Nintendo seems to be afraid to aim for a more mature audience. Is it because they think they might alienate themselves from Jane Walmart? The average mother who trusts Mario and Pokemon as the safe games for little Jimmy? In 2013, I don't buy it. Times are changing.

tdLppKo.jpg

Call of Duty is the biggest game for kids and adults alike. This shit is just going to turn people off of the console and reinforce the idea that Nintendo is for kids, and only kids. Sony's PS4 commercial does a great job of portraying a console that is completely inclusive for all ages. Parents aren't watching that and thinking "Nope, not buying a PS4 for little Bobby. Too mature for him". Dudebro isn't waching that and thinking "bro that shit is fucking soft". It works. It's light hearted, funny, and gets the message across. It's perfect. Great song, too. Nintendo should take notes.

The best part: Nintendo has done this successfully in the past! Anyone remember the N64?

The Nintendo 64 was a console that:

-was more powerful than it's competition, graphically.
-focused heavily on the multiplayer experience.
-had the two biggest first person shooters of the generation.
-marketed towards a more mature crowd compared to prior generations, but did not exclude younger audiences (Mario 64 and Mario Kart were still the best selling games on the console)

These are the elements that are needed to dominate the Western video game market today, but in 1996, was a bit ahead of it's time. Back then, third party exclusives were a thing. Back then, Japanese third party games were still huge, and Western third party games were not. As a result, N64's western focus hurt Nintendo. Today, those things wouldn't be a problem. Of course, N64 had it's drawbacks. It's use of cartridges was the ultimate manifestation of Nintendo's "fuck third parties we can handle this shit ourselves" mentality that needs to die yesterday.

The most important thing to learn from the N64 era is that Nintendo is capable of making a console that appeals not only to the younger audience, but the older audience as well. The marketing was cool. The console itself looked cool. Goldeneye was THE dorm room game of the late 90s, and probably the most popular multiplayer game in general at that time. It outsold Ocarina of fucking Time, and it was a first person shooter exclusive to a Nintendo console. Unlike the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U, the N64 didn't give off the aura of a "kiddy" console.

CQsS2rn.jpg

For whatever reason, Nintendo decided to stop pursuing the audience that bought 8 million copies of Goldeneye with the Gamecube, a purple lunchbox. That audience promptly left Nintendo and moved on to Halo on the new Xbox, and after that, COD 4 on PS3/360. Since then, it's grown exponentially, Nintendo hasn't even tried to get them back.

So for next gen, if they want to see success, I really think Nintendo needs to get back into that N64 state of mind. Get the M rated shooters and sports games the masses want. Focus on online multiplayer. Hell, I think people will gladly pay $60 for yearly multiplayer if you give them access to a bunch of free Virtual Console games, in a similar style to Sony with PS Plus. Money hat your own exclusive, AAA FPS, like Microsoft did with Titanfall. Or get Retro to make one. Market towards an older crowd! The younger crowd will follow the older, "cooler" crowd.

No, this does NOT mean turning Zelda all dark and grey and bloody. All of Nintendo's first party properties are fine the way they are. Motion control can stay as an optional peripheral, as well as the gamepad. However, the focus should be on gaining respect and acceptance from that giant 18-35 male audience who are spending over a billion dollars on COD and GTA in 24 hours.

Am I crazy? Does Nintendo need to make a serious attempt to go after this audience to be successful? Or can they continue to ignore third parties/receive non-definitive versions of a handful of titles, while releasing maybe 4 popular first party games a year? Can they continue to have these giant software droughts while the competition is enjoying huge, AAA third party experiences on a regular basis?

AniHawk

anth0ny, i read your entire post. i'm not going to selectively quote it or anything, but i believe your argument breaks down into:

-nintendo once had a grip on gaming's biggest demographic
-they threw it all away
-they found a new demographic but that demographic left
-they currently have no fanbase

well, i think it would be wise if nintendo expanded westward. they shouldn't have ended every single deal they had with western studios during the gamecube era and turned nst into what it is now. they could deliver different game experiences the japanese studios aren't developing.

however i think it's a mistake to go after the xbox and playstation audiences now. if there was ever a chance to go after them, it was with the wii u. the wii u needed to be more powerful, have a far better online infrastructure, and far better marketing from the word go. with this upcoming gen and both microsoft and sony embracing paywalls, audiences are only going to become more entrenched. it will be nearly impossible for nintendo to steal away that fanbase without doing something drastic like paying for madden exclusivity or getting call of duty for a year. you're not going to see those people ditch their friends and trophies/achievements just so they can play some nintendo games too.

i think nintendo's biggest mistake was trying to go after this fanbase in the first place. they tried it with the 3ds, supposedly giving third-parties a window to release mature games like street fighter iv, metal gear solid 3, resident evil revelations, etc, but that fanbase doesn't buy handhelds. nintendo tried it again with the wii u, publishing ninja gaiden 3, and getting some ports of last-gen games for launch that traditionally appealed to that market. the gamepad and cc pro were both designed to appeal to the traditional gaming audience (instead of making the gamepad just a tablet or something). marketing campaigns were bright lights and dubstep- an attempt to be cool not unlike the gamecube launch commercials.

what should have happened was during 2009 and 2010, nintendo should have released the vitality sensor and marketed it. i think they lost that fanbase specifically because they stopped catering to them. those people wanted new experiences to improve their lives, whether it meant exericise, increased family time, or better ease of use. nintendo instead focused on more complex titles. where you or me might have seen wii output drop off in 2011, it happened for this audience right after wii fit plus came out, with only wii party a year later to pique any interest.

i think that instead of going after an entrenched marketplace, nintendo should branch out. wii wasn't lightning in a bottle- it was a good idea backed with quality software. their problem was assuming the fanbase they built with the ds and wii was with them all the way when they launched their current systems- that they were just waiting for new hardware, and they could also grab the aforementioned entrenched userbases from microsoft and sony.

there's a thread in off-topic right now about how paul dini couldn't get a second season of tower prep because the female audience was growing too big and executives didn't like that because girls don't buy toys. the reaction was 'then make something they'll buy!'

i feel that's similar to what you're suggesting, that nintendo has to sell to boys. there's 51% of the population that is increasingly marginalized by the westernization of the video game industry. nintendo should be trying to reach out to them. they should be trying to forge their own userbase. will major third-parties join on? probably not- they're too invested in the current userbase. it's nintendo's job to figure out how to effectively sell to everyone, to filll in their lineups.

the wii u and 3ds are mistakes because they're jacks of all trades, and masters of none. they don't offer anything to appeal to really either the traditional gaming market, or the one they grew from 2005-2009. how they go about returning to that former glory, i'm not sure, but if they were to reclaim it, the video game industry would surely be better off with more competition and a greater breadth of ideas.

What they should do:
Man the fuck up.

(and make sure their next console is the most powerful thing out there with plenty of 'core' games from ea, square-enix + ubisoft)

What they will do:
Be pussies.

(and say that they'll do something big with their wii u successor, but won't actually do it and iwata will think they have)

mysterj

Neo Member
Drop their stupid gamepad so they can drop price by another $100. I would buy a WiiU at $150.

I don't think Nintendo will ever become relevant in the home console business again, they have always struggled with third party developer since Playstation came out and have not evolved their strategy since.

Reduce the price on the Wii U

At most $200, maybe go $150 sans gamepad

Rebrand the console as something else, Wii 2 or Super Wii work I suppose

Then market the hell out of the rebranding

Griss

snip - maginficently overlong rebuttal of anthony's points

I agreed with every single word of that wonderful post.

Especially when you talk about going after the female market. They are a criminally underserved demographic in non-casual gaming, and I've long believed that the first company to figure that market out could be huge. Problem is that that audience is on phone and tablet and you'd really have to go to them. It would be very hard to get them to come to you.

I just wrote a post in another thread about how Nintendo refused to act like they were catering for two different audiences, ending up pleasing neither, so I'll just link it here. I genuinely believe they thought it was possible to serve Wii casuals and nintendo fans with the same hardware. It wasn't, and they lost almost everyone.

I agree with you that it's time to try for a brand new audience again. Until they're ready with a new product to do that though, they need to double down on the core fan to survive.

KoopaTheCasual

I agreed with every single word of that wonderful post.

Especially when you talk about going after the female market. They are a criminally underserved demographic in non-casual gaming, and I've long believed that the first company to figure that market out could be huge. Problem is that that audience is on phone and tablet and you'd really have to go to them. It would be very hard to get them to come to you.

I just wrote a post in another thread about how Nintendo refused to act like they were catering for two different audiences, ending up pleasing neither, so I'll just link it here. I genuinely believe they thought it was possible to serve Wii casuals and nintendo fans with the same hardware. It wasn't, and they lost almost everyone.

I agree with you that it's time to try for a brand new audience again. Until they're ready with a new product to do that though, they need to double down on the core fan to survive.
Hmm, a female oriented marketing strategy seems like it would be extremely risky, but if it pays off and girls begin flocking to a console "designed for them" that would not only be jackpot for Nintendo, but for console gaming in general. For that to work, the branding/marketing would need to be extremely subtle or else it runs the risk of completely scaring on young male gamers, who would be frightened to be associated with a feminine product. They would need a flagship title that would appeal to girls (idk what that would even be, tbh) and commercials that poke fun of the "but you're a girl, you're not supposed to like video games!" stereotype.

The whole thing sounds really out there, but if handled delicately enough, would not even scare off the core and male audience, if it doesn't succeed.

MEsoJD

Banned
Get rid of Iwata, make the gamepad optional and include a pro controller in every box, lower the price to $200, don't go after lertsplayers, better marketing, and revise online/ network account policies.

greg400

Banned

That way of thinking could literally be applied to any exclusive title ever released. It appears you have more of an issue with exclusives than you do anything specifically related to Nintendo.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
anth0ny, i read your entire post. i'm not going to selectively quote it or anything, but i believe your argument breaks down into:

-they threw it all away

well, i think it would be wise if nintendo expanded westward. they shouldn't have ended every single deal they had with western studios during the gamecube era and turned nst into what it is now. they could deliver different game experiences the japanese studios aren't developing.

however i think it's a mistake to go after the xbox and playstation audiences now. if there was ever a chance to go after them, it was with the wii u. the wii u needed to be more powerful, have a far better online infrastructure, and far better marketing from the word go. with this upcoming gen and both microsoft and sony embracing paywalls, audiences are only going to become more entrenched. it will be nearly impossible for nintendo to steal away that fanbase without doing something drastic like paying for madden exclusivity or getting call of duty for a year. you're not going to see those people ditch their friends and trophies/achievements just so they can play some nintendo games too.

i think nintendo's biggest mistake was trying to go after this fanbase in the first place. they tried it with the 3ds, supposedly giving third-parties a window to release mature games like street fighter iv, metal gear solid 3, resident evil revelations, etc, but that fanbase doesn't buy handhelds. nintendo tried it again with the wii u, publishing ninja gaiden 3, and getting some ports of last-gen games for launch that traditionally appealed to that market. the gamepad and cc pro were both designed to appeal to the traditional gaming audience (instead of making the gamepad just a tablet or something). marketing campaigns were bright lights and dubstep- an attempt to be cool not unlike the gamecube launch commercials.

what should have happened was during 2009 and 2010, nintendo should have released the vitality sensor and marketed it. i think they lost that fanbase specifically because they stopped catering to them. those people wanted new experiences to improve their lives, whether it meant exericise, increased family time, or better ease of use. nintendo instead focused on more complex titles. where you or me might have seen wii output drop off in 2011, it happened for this audience right after wii fit plus came out, with only wii party a year later to pique any interest.

i think that instead of going after an entrenched marketplace, nintendo should branch out. wii wasn't lightning in a bottle- it was a good idea backed with quality software. their problem was assuming the fanbase they built with the ds and wii was with them all the way when they launched their current systems- that they were just waiting for new hardware, and they could also grab the aforementioned entrenched userbases from microsoft and sony.

there's a thread in off-topic right now about how paul dini couldn't get a second season of tower prep because the female audience was growing too big and executives didn't like that because girls don't buy toys. the reaction was 'then make something they'll buy!'

i feel that's similar to what you're suggesting, that nintendo has to sell to boys. there's 51% of the population that is increasingly marginalized by the westernization of the video game industry. nintendo should be trying to reach out to them. they should be trying to forge their own userbase. will major third-parties join on? probably not- they're too invested in the current userbase. it's nintendo's job to figure out how to effectively sell to everyone, to filll in their lineups.

the wii u and 3ds are mistakes because they're jacks of all trades, and masters of none. they don't offer anything to appeal to really either the traditional gaming market, or the one they grew from 2005-2009. how they go about returning to that former glory, i'm not sure, but if they were to reclaim it, the video game industry would surely be better off with more competition and a greater breadth of ideas.

This is a great post. I too, feel that Nintendo should continue to cultivate what makes them different instead of being the third company going after the dudebros. That fight is lost for them, now they need to appeal to other groups, and at the same time possibly be able to sell their plattforms as a secondary console for core gamers.

redcrayon

I agree with AniHawk too. The Xbox One/PS4 are fairly straight evolutions of their predecessors, a customer base that has been built up around western online AAA gaming for the last 8 years, backed up by supporting tech like decent online, reasonable specs etc. You aren't going to get people to shift to Nintendo, it would be like if Xbox suddenly decided it was all about Japanese platformers instead while competing with Nintendo's entrenched hold on that kind of thing.

Much as it sounds like a good idea to turn about-face, I think they are better off refocusing on something other than that market. Better to be a complementary console that offers something unique (like Mario Kart etc) than a much worse one offering inferior versions of the same games, the problem is their current jack-of-all-trades approach with the WiiU, wasting time funding Bayonetta 2 to attract an extra 12 buyers (may be a mild exaggeration) etc, when they really should be doubling down on what they are good at instead. Perhaps now the they have realised how HD development actually needs to be organised they might have more luck.

Griss

Hmm, a female oriented marketing strategy seems like it would be extremely risky, but if it pays off and girls begin flocking to a console "designed for them" that would not only be jackpot for Nintendo, but for console gaming in general. For that to work, the branding/marketing would need to be extremely subtle or else it runs the risk of completely scaring on young male gamers, who would be frightened to be associated with a feminine product. They would need a flagship title that would appeal to girls (idk what that would even be, tbh) and commercials that poke fun of the "but you're a girl, you're not supposed to like video games!" stereotype.

The whole thing sounds really out there, but if handled delicately enough, would not even scare off the core and male audience, if it doesn't succeed.

If you're going for the girl audience, I think you have to not be worried about losing the male audience. You've lost most of them already, and you can still sell mario to the parents of little kids, which is your bread and butter.

What I'd do though is create a sub-brand of games and visual novels that can only be found on the new system. Give it a nice name and some pastel yellow colouring, and lots of anti-septic advertising of cool female celebs relaxing on a white couch in a beautiful house playing these girl games and you could get the female audience interested - IF the product is actually good.

Note that you wouldn't pink everything up and shout 'GIRL GAMES, GIRL GAMES HERE', but rather get the message across with gameplay screens of the content and the actors you use in ads all being female. I hate the word 'aspirational' but that's how you'd sell it.

If I had money I'd set up a company to do exactly this. Most of this stuff could be done on the cheap. I'd just need one programmer and artists. Unfortunately my career leads elsewhere. There's also the whole 'cleverer people have probably thought of this and failed' thing.

The thing is, they already did the "target women" thing effectively with the Nintendo DS, and somewhat less effectively with the 3DS. The DS campaigns in particular really sold the DS as a device that was for everyone. But notice all the female celebrity commercials that showed girls/women playing the DS and having fun. It did so without being offensive because they didn't show shallow horse petting games or Bratz or whatever. They showed Mario, Animal Crossing, Brain Training, games that everyone can enjoy.

The issue is that these demographics buy less software, and frankly there's less software FOR them. And what's more, they're perfectly happy with Candy Crush. At least in the west.

In the future it's not going to work without the hardware providing a serious advantage over mobile... but at the same time, Nintendo has to realize that nobody is going to stop carrying their mobile phone around with them. And that space in the pocket means less room for a handheld.

One suggestion is to create a mobile app that connects to the Nintendo ecosystem, or a piece of SMALL hardware that does so. For instance, take this:

FitMeterBordered2.jpg

This is actually pretty neat. It's a pedometer, measures your altitude, etc... and it's easy to fit in your pocket or snap to your jeans or what have you.

Now imagine a beefed up version that, in addition to being a pedometer and measuring your altitude, it also holds your Nintendo "identity." It has some storage to keep track of the games you have and some shareable data. It has a special button on it that you can press when you're at a location that you want to mark as significant.

When you carry it around, it acts as a relay for things like StreetPass and simple friend/communication like the 3DS does now. You can put simple messages, or photos, or whatever that are automatically shared when you pass by people. You get rewards for passing Nintendo Zone wifi hotspot locations, or by passing other people, for games that you have. Earn coins by walking around with it (like the 3DS coins) and use them in Nintendo games as a method of "free microtransactions" in games... like Animal Crossing, but across more of their games. The mere fact that you're walking around in public with it means you're more likely to share and get your friends and passers-by interested. When you get home, you can connect it to your Nintendo handheld OR console and upload your data. You can review the things you did and have them integrate into your console experience.

Basically, it becomes a gaming lifestyle device. The things you do normally in your life can connect to and enrich your games.

This is a really off-the-cuff idea, but I think if you're going to go for the mass audience, you have to at least meet them halfway.

Juice

If they don't want to go multi platform:

They should release a totally rebranded console called Nintendo TV with a pro controller and second screen controls for mobile devices, then launch a Netflix-style subscription service for their entire back catalog. Then continue to develop new games for it, included with subscription.

Basically a Roku for gaming

Shoot for market penetration and take advantage of their huge back catalog and VC infrastructure. Right now that value is doing nothing for them.

Nintendo spend a heap on R&D do they not? Forgetting about having to make future consoles would save them a whole heap of cash. Cash which has led them to the path of Wii U, hardly well spent! Stuff that money into new studios and software.

Can you imagine the attention and hype Nintendo games would get at E3 if they were for xbone and ps4? It would be massive, everyone would all of a sudden love them. A lot of people that used to dismiss them as kiddy and what not would turn into fans. Only way out I can see but maybe Iwata has a different idea.

Griss

The thing is, they already did the "target women" thing effectively with the Nintendo DS, and somewhat less effectively with the 3DS. The DS campaigns in particular really sold the DS as a device that was for everyone. But notice all the female celebrity commercials that showed girls/women playing the DS and having fun. It did so without being offensive because they didn't show shallow horse petting games or Bratz or whatever. They showed Mario, Animal Crossing, Brain Training, games that everyone can enjoy.

The issue is that these demographics buy less software, and frankly there's less software FOR them. And what's more, they're perfectly happy with Candy Crush. At least in the west.

In the future it's not going to work without the hardware providing a serious advantage over mobile... but at the same time, Nintendo has to realize that nobody is going to stop carrying their mobile phone around with them. And that space in the pocket means less room for a handheld.

One suggestion is to create a mobile app that connects to the Nintendo ecosystem, or a piece of SMALL hardware that does so. For instance, take this:

FitMeterBordered2.jpg

This is actually pretty neat. It's a pedometer, measures your altitude, etc... and it's easy to fit in your pocket or snap to your jeans or what have you.

Now imagine a beefed up version that, in addition to being a pedometer and measuring your altitude, it also holds your Nintendo "identity." It has some storage to keep track of the games you have and some shareable data. It has a special button on it that you can press when you're at a location that you want to mark as significant.

When you carry it around, it acts as a relay for things like StreetPass and simple friend/communication like the 3DS does now. You can put simple messages, or photos, or whatever that are automatically shared when you pass by people. You get rewards for passing Nintendo Zone wifi hotspot locations, or by passing other people, for games that you have. Earn coins by walking around with it (like the 3DS coins) and use them in Nintendo games as a method of "free microtransactions" in games... like Animal Crossing, but across more of their games. The mere fact that you're walking around in public with it means you're more likely to share and get your friends and passers-by interested. When you get home, you can connect it to your Nintendo handheld OR console and upload your data. You can review the things you did and have them integrate into your console experience.

Basically, it becomes a gaming lifestyle device. The things you do normally in your life can connect to and enrich your games.

This is a really off-the-cuff idea, but I think if you're going to go for the mass audience, you have to at least meet them halfway.

Yes, I was thinking of how they sold the DS to girls when I wrote my post. In fact, all of my female cousins had DS's and loved them. These were college aged girls, not kids. What's depressing is that they tried a whole bunch of DS games but never became gamers at all. There were plenty of gender neutral games on the DS, and yet nothing 'stuck'. They all play shallow phone games now. This experience is one of the things that makes me slightly doubt the 'give girls good games and they're just as likely to become hardcore gamers' thing. Did we lose all those female DS owners? Are they still around, playing hardcore games, and just not very visible?

I really don't like the pedometer idea, though. I think that in many ways Streetpass is one of the worst things nintendo has done, even if I like the idea behind it of getting people to take the console with them and make them feel like part of a community.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really don't like the pedometer idea, though. I think that in many ways Streetpass is one of the worst things nintendo has done, even if I like the idea behind it of getting people to take the console with them and make them feel like part of a community.
What's wrong with streetpass? For me it is one of the best things about the 3DS.

Glass Rebel

Am I crazy? Does Nintendo need to make a serious attempt to go after this audience to be successful? Or can they continue to ignore third parties/receive non-definitive versions of a handful of titles, while releasing maybe 4 popular first party games a year? Can they continue to have these giant software droughts while the competition is enjoying huge, AAA third party experiences on a regular basis?

Not crazy, I just disagree with you.

I don't think it makes sense to try to go after a market that has been cornered by Microsoft and Sony and the $399-499 price range required to be competitive in the space is one I think Nintendo can't compete in without completely abandoning their traditional target audience. Even $299 is too high. In general, hardware price has been one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes with the 3DS and the Wii U. Sony's and Microsoft's approach of "hardcore first, mainstream later" doesn't work for Nintendo so they have to hit mainstream prices out of the gate.

Furthermore, I'm not sure they need the big AAA blockbuster games to be successful. Or even if they had the, that wouldn't guarantee any success. The 18-35 y/o demographic is arguably the most catered to and they have found their place on Microsoft and Sony consoles. On the other hand, DS, Wii, smartphones, tablets and games like Minecraft or The Walking Dead demonstrated that there is a huge portion of people that are underserved and can be potentially lucrative and much more appreciative to Nintendo's design philosophies.

The problem is that to them Nintendo's hardware is a barrier to access these games, so unless they're going to develop for platforms people own, they're going to have to move the barrier lower, not higher.

Nintendo spend a heap on R&D do they not? Forgetting about having to make future consoles would save them a whole heap of cash. Cash which has led them to the path of Wii U, hardly well spent! Stuff that money into new studios and software.

Can you imagine the attention and hype Nintendo games would get at E3 if they were for xbone and ps4? It would be massive, everyone would all of a sudden love them. A lot of people that used to dismiss them as kiddy and what not would turn into fans. Only way out I can see but maybe Iwata has a different idea.

So what do they do with their R&D department? Just scrap the entire thing and lose tons of assets and people that make up a significant portion of their company?

AzaK

I agree with AniHawk too. The Xbox One/PS4 are fairly straight evolutions of their predecessors, a customer base that has been built up around western online AAA gaming for the last 8 years, backed up by supporting tech like decent online, reasonable specs etc. You aren't going to get people to shift to Nintendo, it would be like if Xbox suddenly decided it was all about Japanese platformers instead while competing with Nintendo's entrenched hold on that kind of thing.

Much as it sounds like a good idea to turn about-face, I think they are better off refocusing on something other than that market. Better to be a complementary console that offers something unique (like Mario Kart etc) than a much worse one offering inferior versions of the same games, the problem is their current jack-of-all-trades approach with the WiiU, wasting time funding Bayonetta 2 to attract an extra 12 buyers (may be a mild exaggeration) etc, when they really should be doubling down on what they are good at instead. Perhaps now the they have realised how HD development actually needs to be organised they might have more luck.

I think Nintendo likely had a chance when they first released to get back some of that core audience, but now it's impossible. Let's say they had an XBO specced machine (maybe PS4) and for a year were getting the 1080p or 60fps versions with added eye candy like the current gen is now.

Core gamers were hankering for new boxes and if Nintendo had have offered more gaming oriented feature sets (streaming, voice, some insane Nintendo idea) you might have seen a good start to changing their perception. Still ship a Motion Plus and still release their amazing games, just rebrand slightly.

That said, I think to do that would have not only required a massive change in Nintendo's mindset, but they would have had to have started it all many years ago, when the Wii was peaking in 2008-9.

Anth0ny

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

-they threw it all away

Right on the money!

Thank you for bringing this up, because I think this is the number 1 reason why a plan like I've outlined could not work. It's basically too little too late: Everyone in that audience is already integrated into the Xbox Live/Playstation Network infrastructure, their friends are all in there, so why would they jump to another platform, let alone a Nintendo platform?

It's tough, but I do think it's possible. Right now we are in the very early days of this new generation, but from what I could tell, I think Sony wants to take that Xbox audience that dominated North America during the last gen. The same Xbox audience that has been integrated into the Xbox Live infrastructure for the last 8 years, and win them over to Playstation 4 and PS Plus. Sony has been pushing all the right buttons since they unveiled the PS4: their marketing has been great, their console is clearly more powerful than the XBox One, and it's $100 cheaper! Thanks to all of this good will they've won from gamers, they were successfully able to implement a paywall for their online multiplayer. Not to mention all the great stuff they throw in with a subscription, such as free, retail games on a monthly basis. A month of PS Plus is a greater value than a month of Xbox Live Gold.

With this, I think it's simple: Give gamers the greater value, treat them with respect, market yourself well, and "brand loyalty" will only take them so far. I honestly believe that Sony is doing such a great job of this that players who only owned 360s for the entirety of last gen will drop that shit and flock over to Sony and the PS4 when they realize not only is it a better deal, but all of their friends are over there too.

Nintendo needs to do these things, and I think they can. Create an online, paid system that offers a greater value than Sony provides with the PS4 and PS Plus. Market yourself better. A LOT BETTER. If they have all the games, and the infrastructure is better than the competition, and they market this to the masses properly (as Sony did the PS4), then who's to say whether the Xbox or Playstation audience won't make the jump over to Nintendo?

Easier said than done, of course...

Well, of course, these are two completely half assed attempts that trying to go after that fanbase.

Number one, the portable market is irrelevant. Honestly, I think they are doing fine in the portable market. As well as they could be doing considering the circumstances (mobile/tablet gaming domination). Third party support won't really make a difference there, because, unlike the console space, in the portable space, the biggest games are Mario, Mario Kart and Pokemon (and in Japan, Monster Hunter). They have the biggest portable game franchises, so they will continue to be successful.

This isn't the case in the console space. Like I've said, Mario and Mario Kart aren't the biggest games in the console space. It's COD, GTA, Minecraft, Skyrim, FIFA, Madden... all games that they simply don't have. They can't find success with the 7th and 8th biggest games in the world driving the console forward, when the competition has #1, #2, #3...

Ninja Gaiden 3 and those late ports are proof that Nintendo had no idea what the fuck they were doing when going for the "hardcore" audience. Late ports do absolutely nothing, especially when they perform worse than the 360/PS3 versions. Nintendo was getting Mass Effect 3 and selling it for $60 when PS3/360 was getting Mass Effect Trilogy for $40!

The clean, sterile, dubstep commercials with children and a narrator reading a PR statement were NOT cool, and did a terrible job explaining what exactly the Wii U is.

What I'm saying is, maybe they did try to capture that audience with the Wii U at launch... but they did an awful, awful job. Any idiot could look at what they did and tell you that's not what you need to do to capture the 18-35 male demographic. I don't think you just give up on that audience because the Wii U approach failed. Iwata needs to go, Reggie needs to go, and the entire fucking marketing team in North America needs to go. The tone of marketing needs to shift, like when PS3 commercials went from this to this.

While this is true, I think it was inevitable that a large portion of the audience they captured with the Wii was going to move on to 99 cent/free games they had on their phones. They may have extended the Wiis life, sure, but the successor? Do you think that audience would have been willing to spend $350 on a new Wii? $250?

Exactly. That Wii userbase isn't coming back, nor did they really want a successor to the Wii (or the DS, to an extent). The half assed attempt to capture the MS/Sony userbase obviously did nothing, too.

So what you're suggesting here is basically that they double down on their current ideology. "Fuck third parties, we can handle this ourselves". Except actually handle it, and not just release 100 Mario games and hope for the best.

I think, while this is possible, is it not more risky than just getting on the good sides of third parties? They need to look at the market right now. What are the biggest selling games?

1. First Person Shooters
2. Sports games
3. Open World games
4. NFC Figure games
5. Fitness/dance games
6. Platformers

I think we can agree on this.

Nintendo has ZERO first party games that fall into the genres described by 1-4. 5 and 6 they have covered, for sure. I guess Skylanders and Disney Infinity is on Wii U, but how are they selling? 1-3 they simply don't have, and without the help of EA, Activision, Rockstar, 2K, Ubisoft, Bethesda... they'd have to do it all themselves? How?

First thing's first, they'd need to spend that Wii/DS money, big time. What is there, 5 EAD teams? If they're going to do this all themselves, there needs to be 15. They have Retro Studios in America? If they want to take a serious stab at capturing the largest audience for games in the world, AMERICA (and Europe, really), they're going to need 5 Retro Studios. Obviously I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass, but my point is THEY NEED TO EXPAND. Big time. It is not enough that their only Western Team has pumped out two Donkey Kong platformers over the span of 4 years.

Can they buy the James Bond license and get Retro to start working exclusively on AAA, high quality James Bond games (instead of fucking Donkey Kong platformers that cover the same audience as Mario platformers)? Bond being Nintendo exclusive would be pretty huge. The films are more popular than ever (Skyrim did over $1 billion at the box office), and many players have nostalgia for playing Goldeneye on their old Nintendo 64. The connection between Bond and Nintendo makes sense.

Can they effectively create a new, Uncharted style third person shooter? Would a Japanese team work on it?

Sports games. They're boned without EA support on Football games, unless that contract isn't renewed in a couple of years. However, this is a space where I think they could make some noise. Bring back 1080 Snowboarding. Bring back NBA Courtside. Bring back Wave Race. Bring back Excite Bike. Of course, you still have Wii Sports, for that other crowd. If they're good enough and well made, who's to say Nintendo can't be the home for sports games? NBA Live dominated the basketball gaming world, until 2K picked up their shit and started releasing better and better games every year. The sales were representative of this. Then they got Jordan involved, and now look at the last two years. 2K KILLED LIVE, and while Live came back this year, it was basically a zombie.

Look at Sony's MLB The Show. A new IP that is exclusive to a single platform pretty much came from out of nowhere in 2004 and is now the best selling baseball game on the market.

ZwNbrZf.png

Why can't NBA Courtside do the same for Nintendo? They just have to want it. Clearly, right now, they don't want it.

Open world games seem incredibly difficult without the help of Ubisoft and Rockstar, who utterly dominate this genre. They would need to expand BIG TIME to have the resources to develop an open world game, yet still get Mario, Zelda and the rest of the first party games out every year. Again, this is a world where Nintendo has little/no third party support!

To me, that sounds a little risky. And a little expensive. What makes more sense for Nintendo: trying to take on EVERY genre themselves, or just playing nice with third parties for once and getting the third parties to work with them? Ideally, there would be a combination of both. Nintendo sleeping on all of their sports franchises is a travesty, as Emily Rogers explains in this article. They should really invest in a shooter or two, considering the popularity of the genre.

I just really don't see what other direction they could go in. Is there another massive, untapped market just waiting out there? Just because the market has been cornered by Microsoft and Sony doesn't mean they should just give up on it. I'm not sure how far "being unique" is going to get them at this point.

I think AniHawk is totally correct in stating that the typical Xbox and to a lesser degree PlayStation Western blockbuster gamer simply is not interested in Nintendo branded stuff. However that doesn' t mean there isn't a sizable potential market for Wii U or a Nintendo console in general. Nintendo just needs to focus on the share of gamers that is intested in games different from COD and AC.

1. Vastly improve and market the VC. Retro gaming is hot and Nintendo systems have a tremendous library. It's mindbending that Nintendo doesn't do more with this, after doing a good job on Wii.
2. Secure fitting third party exclusives. Stuff like COD and AC won't work, but Beyond Good and Evil, Resident Evil, Castlevania, Silent Hill or Mega Man might.
3. Release a more diverse set of first party games. Mario really has been used too much lately, and Donkey Kong and platformers in general as well. Fatal Frame, Eternal Darkness, Disaster, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Starfox, etc. would drive sales to a more diverse audience.
4. Market indie games, especially when they appeal to a certain retro feeling, like 90s Arcade Racer
5. Cooperate (or buy if economic) much closer with Sega and release follow ups to stuff like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Etc.

Log4Girlz

I find it odd that they don't bundle VC games with their system. Like, a cheap Wii U bundle with NSMB Wii U and like classic Mario Bros 3, Donkey Kong, Excite Bike etc. Or maybe have a bundle with "100 CLASSIC GAMES" etc.

They should truly consider going third party. Games like Mario and Zelda would sell even more on a The One and I'm sure Nintendo would be super creative with The Ones feature set.

I find it odd that they don't bundle VC games with their system. Like, a cheap Wii U bundle with NSMB Wii U and like classic Mario Bros 3, Donkey Kong, Excite Bike etc. Or maybe have a bundle with "100 CLASSIC GAMES" etc.

Same reason Disney doesn't put out a cheap Blu Ray collection of all their classic films. It devalues them forever.

Top Bottom