• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New (?) Mario Kart Wii info (Snaking confirmed)

I'm trying to imagine someone snaking with the wheel in their hands...sort of like this GIF

9b8d8291a4a2001b5f11966f8a2b7ce4.gif

Ramenman

What's with this horrible thread title.

"Snaking" is not a game feature. It's an abusive way of using the Power Slide, meaning you use it ALL THE TIME, power sliding even on a straight road.

Snaking can only be "confirmed" if you play with douches who loooove hurting their thumb all the way to the finish line.

Also, if you actually turn the controller in an Excite Truck way, and try power sliding permanently, it's not your thumb who's gonna be bleeding, but your arms that will die in 2 minutes.

So imo Snaking is less likely to happen in this Wii version than on the DS one.

And yay for twice the number of tracks of Double Dash.

TJ Spyke

I will still buy the game and enjoy it offline, but snaking ruined online play in Mario Kart DS and it will ruin the online play of Mario Kart Wii too (which is why I will only play online with people who agree not snake).

ZeoVGM

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
I will still buy the game and enjoy it offline, but snaking ruined online play in Mario Kart DS and it will ruin the online play of Mario Kart Wii too (which is why I will only play online with people who agree not snake).

It didn't ruin online in Mario Kart DS, it still ruled. :p

But yeah, is this game coming out like.. now? How the hell do we have the boxart and we know like nothing about the game, really.

.dmc

Banned
omg rite said:
It didn't ruin online in Mario Kart DS, it still ruled. :p

I love MK-DS, three starred all the GPs, unlocked everything, played dozens of local wifi matches.. and never go online because of snaking AND because there is no penalty for dropping out. So when I do play the game online, it generally starts with someone snaking their way to an unassailable lead, and the other two players quitting shortly before the end of the last lap. Which leaves me with the choice of playing a 2player match against an OCD snaker who won't even see me after 10sec, or getting out as well.

If they don't fix those issues in MK-Wii, it won't stop me from buying or enjoying the game, but it will stop me from going online, ever.

Teknoman

.dmc said:
I love MK-DS, three starred all the GPs, unlocked everything, played dozens of local wifi matches.. and never go online because of snaking AND because there is no penalty for dropping out. So when I do play the game online, it generally starts with someone snaking their way to an unassailable lead, and the other two players quitting shortly before the end of the last lap. Which leaves me with the choice of playing a 2player match against an OCD snaker who won't even see me after 10sec, or getting out as well.

If they don't fix those issues in MK-Wii, it won't stop me from buying or enjoying the game, but it will stop me from going online, ever.

Not even with friend code GAF battles?

Firestorm

YakiSOBA said:
can you snake in mario kart for GBA?

Powersliding is REALLY weird in that game iirc. I don't think you can snake in that one. GBA and SNES are the only ones.

TheGreatDave said:
When everybody in a race is snaking it's fantastic though. It can be really intense. I just want options, give me the chance to play how I want to, and let me play with other people who don't.

Yeah. Sooo awesome. Especially when it's 8 people in the same room.

Haunted

layzie1989 said:
I'm trying to imagine someone snaking with the wheel in their hands...sort of like this GIF

9b8d8291a4a2001b5f11966f8a2b7ce4.gif
I'm sure it's just my lack of sleep, but that made me laugh so hard. :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Firestorm said:
Yeah. Sooo awesome. Especially when it's 8 people in the same room.
Absolutely. I like to call it "playing with other people who are good"

I understand the feeling of dislike towards that particular game mechanic, but to me "I'm not going to snake" smells the same as "I'm not going to play to the best of my ability".

For the times when I played LAN multi with both snakers and non-snakers (i.e. good people and scrubs), we just played teams and divided up the good and bad people evenly among the two teams. It was pretty fun because the shitty players actually had to play an important role of blue shell shooter since they were always at the end of the pack.

Letting 2nd place overtake you and then shouting at the last place guy on your team to fire his blue shell now was pretty interesting.

Sleeker

(Snaking confirmed)

Argggh.

The big fat snake sucks all the fun out of Mario Kart.
Especially on a DS lite where its almost physically impossible for my big hands to snake and keep the kart on the track.

Firestorm

Rentahamster said:
Absolutely. I like to call it "playing with other people who are good"

I understand the feeling of dislike towards that particular game mechanic, but to me "I'm not going to snake" smells the same as "I'm not going to play to the best of my ability".

For the times when I played LAN multi with both snakers and non-snakers (i.e. good people and scrubs), we just played teams and divided up the good and bad people evenly among the two teams. It was pretty fun because the shitty players actually had to play an important role of blue shell shooter since they were always at the end of the pack.

Letting 2nd place overtake you and then shouting at the last place guy on your team to fire his blue shell now was pretty interesting.

Yeah, I agree with the whole not snaking is just not playing to the best of your ability. I never thought of the teams thing. Damn. I should try that someday.

Duderz

Banned
Is anyone really interested in trying this out after a game like Smash Bros.?

Granted, we hardly know anything about this game, but form what we do know, it sure seems rushed (i.e. graphics aren't any better than MK:DD), or at the very least taking the safe route.

Teknoman

Duderz said:
Is anyone really interested in trying this out after a game like Smash Bros.?

Granted, we hardly know anything about this game, but form what we do know, it sure seems rushed (i.e. graphics aren't any better than MK:DD), or at the very least taking the safe route.

Well I know I will just on the fact that it's Mario Kart. I'm sure it'll still be tons of fun, but I dont think i'll snake my way to victory. Im probably just going to end up driving like normal (playing like a standard arcadey racer, doing power slides whenever beneficial, and using items when beneficial).

I know this is a dead horse, but doing the whole left, right, left, right steering constantly just seems like it would drain the fun of Mario Kart. But to each his/her own. That doesnt mean i'll give up if I come against a snaker though. One thing I never do is disconnect.

I can snake, but I find it more tiresome and boring than playing without abusing the technique. Seriously, it just doesn't seem fun at all if you have to be forced to snake just to pass an obsessive snaker (though you may not snake normally). If it isn't fun then what's the point? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just find it absolutely no fun at all to mash the directional buttons repeatedly for mini-turbos.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
.dmc said:

my problem is that you can't expect people not to snake, because it's a game mechanic. I stopped playing the game because of snaking, but when i played online I would snake as well, because it's that or it's lose. In the end it made me stop liking the game. I even played some people offline and they said 'don't do that!' and I found it actually difficult to not do it. I mean if someone is ahead of you by a tiny bit and you know HOW to get past them, it's really hard as a gamer to say 'nah, I'm not going to win, I'm going to lose'

The game is broken is all. Furthermore, the snaking method actually causes pain. Fuck that.

MikeOxbig

Ramenman said:
Snaking can only be "confirmed" if you play with douches who loooove hurting their thumb all the way to the finish line.
No, actually, I think snaking is for douches who looove to win. Douches like me.

.dmc

Banned
catfish said:
my problem is that you can't expect people not to snake, because it's a game mechanic..
The game is broken is all. Furthermore, the snaking method actually causes pain. Fuck that.

Yeah I know, it's not that I want power boosting to be stripped from the game, it just needs to be balanced so that it can't be abused and it can keep the game competitive, for one, and more importantly keep the game FUN.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The techniques that made snaking possible were intentially designed into the game, but the obuse was not. If the obuse was it wouldn't have been limited to certain vehicles nor would it have been so staining to do. It was a balancing issue that they simply did not imagine happening.

I stopped playing MKDS online a long time again. Back then, most snakers otherwise sucked at the game and could easily be beaten on the smaller tracks. I've never been beaten by a snaker on Baby Park; proper cornering and item usuage was far more valuable on that track. But that was over a year ago, I assume they gotten better.

What really pissed me off most where the people who would continue to snake even though the other three opponents clearly were not doing it. What enjoyment could they possibly get out of that? "Durr-durr, I'm the greetest! They all suck!" Rarely did anyone stick around to finish the entire cup. And then there cases where the snaker wasn't winning all the time, that dumbass would drop out.

I don't want to see the mini-turbos removed from the game, just better balanced. But I also think they need to take steps to reverse the damage caused by MKDS; people are going to expect to snake and are now going to look for every possible way to exploit the technique in the next game. A few things I like them to do regarding the mini-turbos:

1. Design areas of the track where turbos automatically shut off.
2. Make the effect of the turbos dependent on the terrain.
3. Design a weapon that specifically affects a player's ability to powerslide.
4. Create a replenishable gauge that limits the use of these turbos (ie. it costs a coin to do one)
5. If all else fails, handicap the lead kart.

In fact, they need to examine and balance any possible exploit there might be... because once a technique is discovered and gets out, everybody will be forced to play that way in order to compete.

mr stroke

anyone know if there is any word on voice chat yet? please don't tell me Nintendo will stick us with Smash Bros type chat :(

GCN controller support confirmed!

http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94389_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001c_122_1048lo.jpg

(Look at the online menu screen, notice the green and red buttons?)

I'll give the new Wii controls a try of course (Excite Truck's controls were excellent) but Mario Kart Arcade GP's controls suck, I don't think that Mario Kart's gameplay is well suited to a steering wheel though, it has always been tailored to a controller and has always controlled best with one.

New scans and info from famitsu here as well!

http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94381_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001a_122_954lo.jpg

http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94387_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001b_122_867lo.jpg

NEWS
Mario Kart Wii (Wii/Nintendo/4-10)
* Bikes in cup mode
* Bikes have special actions like "wheelie"
* 16 remake and new courses
* Wi-fi 12 players
* Play as Mii
Courses.

NEW:
"Mushroom Cup"
Luigi Circuit
Moo Moo Country
Mushroom Canyon
Toad Factory

"Flower Cup"
Mario Circuit - Figure-8 with underpass
Coconuts Mall
DK Snowboard Cross
Wario Mines

OLD:
"Shell Cup"
GC Peach Beach
DS Yoshi Falls
SFC Ghost Swamp 2
64 Mario Circuit

"Banana Cup"
64 Sherbert Land
GBA Hey Ho Beach
DS Monty Town
GC Waluigi Stadium

This is turning out to be the ultimate MK experience. The new levels look slick as hell. I'm loving the openness of Moo Moo Country. Reminds me of that train level from MK64.

[Nintex]

evilromero said:
This is turning out to be the ultimate MK experience. The new levels look slick as hell. I'm loving the openness of Moo Moo Country. Reminds me of that train level from MK64.
This better be the best fucking game ever made otherwise NoE made a huge mistake to release this earlier than Smash Bros.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
damn, it's looking great! i loved double dash, so i'm all for whatever they try with this. there is no such thing as bad mario kart.

Davidion

MisterHero said:
Play as Mii? Why not in Smash Bros.? =(

MK looks great though. Can't wait. :D

SSBB is too specific character oriented, you'd have to find a way to make the mii characters unique in action and that can get problematic. With MK you're just shoving the character into a kart and inject stats (if even that).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playing with Miis in Mario Kart will be great for online races. Nice way to know who is ahead.

Davidion said:
SSBB is too specific character oriented, you'd have to find a way to make the mii characters unique in action and that can get problematic. With MK you're just shoving the character into a kart and inject stats (if even that).

In the case of Mii characters in SSBB, all you'd have to do is allow for complete character customization from the other characters' pool of moves. It would be cool as hell but would ultimately destroy the game, as everyone would just use their Miis.

Davidion

Mac the KNife said:
In the case of Mii characters in SSBB, all you'd have to do is allow for complete character customization from the other characters' pool of moves. It would be cool as hell but would ultimately destroy the game, as everyone would just use their Miis.

That, and you'd have to link every single move animation to any body type...don't forget that the characters have different bodies.

I'd love some customized mii action in brawl, but think about it and you'll realize that it's a lot more demanding than it seems.

Top Bottom