• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2013: Voting Ends January 12th

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
3. The Last of Us

Honorable mentions:

Rayman Legends, so sorry I could not include you as the game deserves every attention it can get.

And all the other games that I have not played yet.

neos

1. Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch. Beautiful OST overall, the two map themes are incredible but my favourite is The First Dawn, it gives me goosebumps every time.

2. The Last Of Us. the guitar work suits pefectly the job of recreating a desperate atmosphere.

3. Metal gear Rising:Revengeance. How can one not be pumped while playing an action game with such an OST?

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

For a series with as many games as the Ace Attorney series, you would expect that at some point they might not be able to keep up with putting out great soundtracks with every game, yet it feels like the music is only getting better and better as they go on. Dual Destinies isn't groundbreaking in any way, as it is largely another Iwadare Ace Attorney score, but that's not a bad thing at all. The music is wonderful and fits the game perfectly, almost always conveying the perfect atmosphere for the scene, and the usage of new versions of favorite classics also really work.

Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Révolutionairre, Simon Blackquill ~ Distorted Swordsmanship, Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On, Appollo Justice ~ A New Chapter of Trials 2013, The Dark Age of the Law

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV

This game immediately became one of my favorite games of all time, and while the soundtrack isn't necessarily the reason for that, it certainly plays a good role in the game, and does a great job at conveying atmosphere. You're unlikely to wind up getting tunes from Shin Megami Tensei IV stuck in your head the way you might with an Ace Attorney or Persona soundtrack, but during the act of playing the game the music is always creating a wonderful atmosphere, even when you aren't actually focusing on it (perhaps even especially then).

Isabeau, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Tokyo Overworld

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

A new soundtrack that is as nostalgic as it is enjoyable. There were so many great nostalgic moments while playing the game, and there were so many times which I just sat back and appreciated the music. This is definitely the best Zelda soundtrack since Wind Waker.

Lorule Field, Hilda's Theme, Swamp Palace

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I’ll preface this with… well, it’s been an interesting year for soundtracks. I think it honestly stands head and shoulders above last year. I say this because last year it was fairly easy to narrow down what I liked and what I didn’t like. This year, it’s just so hard to narrow down what I like simply because there were so many soundtracks that were released that I enjoyed listening to so much. I fucking hated my 2013. It was nothing but trouble in terms of emotional issues, health issues, family issues, professional issues, and depression issues. So, to be honest, I’ve been sticking with a lot of familiar ground in terms of what I’ve played and what I listened to. I essentially had to rush this soundtrack list out because it took me so long to decide what I wanted to put on here.

I have decided to do a Top 5 this year. Because Nert lets me. :p I’m also as sick as a dog, so forgive me for typos.

Previous posts of mine:
2011 Soundtrack of the Year: 1, 2
2012 Soundtrack of the Year: 1, 2, LTTP Post

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Vocal Tracks + Metal Gear Rising Original Soundtrack

W7D9czI.jpg
DxHSECI.jpg

Composers: Jamie Christopherson, Konami Kukeiha Club (Ganbare Goemon themes)
VGMdb link: Vocal Tracks/Original Soundtrack ; iTunes: Vocal Tracks
Behind the Scenes stuff: Link

The thing about Metal Gear’s music is that it is typically slower and more labourious, as it is incredibly reflective of the games’ slower pacing. The music for a Metal Gear game is always going to be ever-linked to what is going on onscreen, thus the tones are incredibly subtle, the tension is something you could cut with a knife, every scene of the game seem s to have its own cue, and essentially—because of how the games are designed and laid out—the scores seem to be rather reminiscent of a military film score.

In this sense, it feels as though Metal Gear’s typical framework is permanent. It has a set style and a set point to which it furiously holds onto. There are certainly some outliers here and there (ex: Love Deterrence, the single CD which I have the pleasure of owning), but usually the series sticks to a certain sound, a certain quality, and a certain type of pacing.

What I love about Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is that it throws all of that away and does something incredibly new and different. Everything about the game feels different from the standard Metal Gear Solid game: from its name, to its developer, to the de-emphasis of stealth, the emphasis of Raiden as a main and sole character, Raiden taking enemies’ weapons and using them for his purpose, and a large amount of other differences. This large difference ended up carrying over into the soundtrack. One young fellow by the name of Jamie Christopherson composed it and took charge of the game’s music direction, realizing that the game needed high-octane music to make the player understand the pace of an action game fixated on combat, faster pacing, and a focus on cinematic-style combat. Add in Maniac Agenda taking some tracks and giving them their own spin, Akira Takizawa doing the Platinum Mixes, and Logan Mader, Pete Crossman, James Chapple, David Kelly, and Graeme Cornies taking part in the vocal tracks, and you have one hell of a collaborative effort.

While the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Original Soundtrack doesn’t get a lot of pull around here, I do feel like I should give it some thought. I liked Metal Gear Rising’s take on Ganbare Goemon. All three of them, from the Original, to the low-key version, to the Blade Mode version. It isn’t very often that we hear some of Konami’s other IPs’ music in other games lately, and I am happy to see that someone took the initiative and put two and two together.

I also genuinely like the Virtual Reality themes. Virtual Reality’s best portion is its backing, not necessarily its distortion or its feedback. It crosses that line into dubstep just a little, but much like other themes on the soundtracks that employ it, it doesn’t go too far into that territory to make it completely dominate the track. On the flipside, Virtual Reality (Low Key Version) takes away most of the backing in favour of distortion and minor synth sound/feedback. I adore it when themes use that lack of rhythmic sound to create something so ambient and meaningful, to the player in particular. Chasing the Wind and Endurance also share that high-octane theme that the vocal themes on the soundtrack employ.

I do enjoy the vocal themes and the vocal themes’ progression more, particularly because the game’s claim to fame is its boss battles. That is absolutely not an understatement. I certainly do feel like the game’s vocal themes are happily reminiscent of a lot of the music I had listened to when I was younger: from industrial rock to punk rock to alternative to various other rock subgenres. As someone who used to play the guitar incredibly often when I was younger, I am so absolutely thrilled to have a soundtrack like this in my possession, or rather more to the point, as a part of the VGM “subgenre”. If I were younger and less busy, I would more than likely learn to tab some of these themes out, while being heckled by my guitar instructor to coordinate something with my vocal coach to play while singing. I just can’t help but to think I’d be sitting in my high school classes with a few of my buddies listening to a few sides of several earbuds put through a splitter just so we could listen to this soundtrack together while shooting the shit.

Remember when I wrote about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword in 2011 and emphasized soundtrack dynamics as the main selling point behind that soundtrack? You could listen to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance’s soundtrack over and over, love the themes, but not completely understand what exactly makes the soundtrack so good. When you finally see the music in action alongside what you are doing in-battle, it is only then that you will appreciate the sheer beauty and best technical aspects of this soundtrack.

The Vocal Track soundtrack starts off with RULES OF NATURE, sung by James Miller (whom you may recognize from gODHEAD). Rules of Nature does so many things for the soundtrack’s progression. Not only does it start off slowly and takes time for the vocals to kick in (thus setting the tone for how the rest of the vocal themes in the game-proper tend to fluctuate between instrumental and lyrical portions), it also sets the tone that the majority of the game’s vocal music has: a mid/late-90s to early 2000s industrial sound. The thought hadn’t occurred to me while playing it and listening to it in the car, but now actively analyzing it, it is so reminiscent of the music I listened to in the late 90s/early 2000s. That’s what made this soundtrack so listenable and so special for me. Without realizing it, it was a sheer blast from the past with a lovely blend of the best parts of present-day music for me. Even just having James Miller there in both Rules of Nature and Red Sun (which leans a little more into industrial metal than industrial rock), I instantly think of a ton of industrial bands because those vocalists have that certain quality. It’s so easy to confuse industrial rock and industrial metal, but with that said, this soundtrack overall has both genres in spades.

The first time I’d ever heard a kidneythieves song was on the Queen of the Damned soundtrack; a song called Before I’m Dead. Granted, it was by then I was transitioning into listening into more alternative rock/90s rock/punk rock as opposed industrial metal and industrial rock, so I certainly didn’t hop onto the kidneythieves train at the time. Even then, it wasn’t often I listened to female rock vocalists at the time—especially in that genre—but I noted, and rightfully so, according to my vocal coach, that the lead vocalist had good diction. So fast-forward almost 11 years later when I am playing through Metal Gear Rising, get to a boss fight, and somewhat recognize a voice but not completely pick up on it. Then I import the soundtrack, read the liner notes, and realize that Free Dominguez’s name is on the soundtrack credits. Boy, that name sure sounded familiar. While Stranger I Remain is not as hard as kidneythieves’ current work, it certainly sounds more traditionally industrial. So that’s why I talk about Stranger I Remain so often if you’ve managed to talk to me off of GAF with respect to my soundtrack choices. It’s very important to me, not only as a lyrical piece and a dynamic piece, but also because it does give me a bit of a blast from the past. Deus Ex: Invisible War also features a few kidneythieves songs from their Trickster album. I also believe Free Dominguez’s voice was featured in Dissidia Duodecim’s God in Fire.

I have elected to link to a “full mix” version that a YouTube user has uploaded even if it is not the highest quality (Original Version; Platinum Mix; Instrumental/Platinum Mix) because it demonstrates what I would like to talk about. The biggest thing about Metal Gear Rising’s soundtrack is how dynamic it is. Additionally, the lyrics serve as backstories for each boss character you fight, whether it’s discussing how a storm can only allow hatred to remain despite washing away reasons for fighting or peace, a French character feeling like she’s a constant stranger who only considers the battlefield her home, slaves to countries giving up their free will forever, or two people fighting acknowledging that they’re the same.

I feel like A Stranger I Remain is one of my favourite tracks on the soundtrack, if not my favourite. I genuinely like the piano backing, and it’s my favourite part of the theme to be honest. I always love it when someone blends piano with other string instruments. I even love the shredding (I always used to love calling that ‘dirty guitar playing’). Everything about the song from its instrumentation to its lyrics to its vocalist is just superb. The riffs are excellent to listen to. Logan Mader and Len Rizzo did such an excellent job with each guitar portion of the track, and the bass is always so wonderful to listen to. I’m also deeply in love with Ralph Mader’s drumming. Logan Mader, who mixed the track, knew exactly what he was doing and did it right. The theme opens with a bang, carefully works its way through the instrumental as you’re at a slight disadvantage, and then as the combat’s climax hits, the lyrics come rushing out with the strongest part of the theme, and then as the boss battle ends, the finality of the conclusion of the song’s lyrical and compositional structure is mixed and carried out so well in-game that it feels like an utter joy to Zandatsu the boss.

The next track I would like to shed some light on is The Stains of Time. Both Stains of Time and A Soul That Can’t Be Cut were sung by Kit Walters of Scapegoat. Stains of Time also features Johnny Death (Before the Mourning) and Nita Strauss (Consume the Fire—she did the Dragonforce bits) on guitar. Logan Mader (Machine Head – yes, that Machine Head) was on guitar and bass (not just for this track, but for the majority of the soundtrack). Stains of Time also has several versions (Maniac Agenda Mix, instrumental (original)). The original version lacks a distinct case of wubwub, but in any case, Stains of Time typically veers into DragonForce and dubstep/electronic direction, but it just has a minor touch of it, and doesn’t completely immerse itself into the genre. I do think it works for the best since it makes the theme far more balanced, and because the culmination of the theme in terms of the dubstep/mixing/electronic truly works incredibly well for a wonderful finish. It’s wonderful having the vocals kick in at just the right moment when the second half of the fight begins right with the chorus.

Canadian Graeme Cormies worked on Dark Skies and I’m My Own Master Now. Both themes tend to veer into the dub and electronic sound that The Stains of Time ran into. They’re a little atypical of what I listen to, but they certainly fit the bosses in terms of architecture and progression. Cormies does an excellent job on vocals.

Collective Consciousness starts with the presidential suite, and then firmly and quickly casts it out to demonstrate why the player shouldn’t fuck with the senator with Jimmy Gnecco on vocals. The lyrics in this song are so awesomely cheesy, but the song sounds so reminiscent of 1980s rock, it isn’t even funny. It’s a careful blend of excellently-mixed vocals, 80s rock, dubstep, and electronic influence. The harmonies are incredibly on-the-mark, and they make the song so enjoyable to listen to. The bridge and conclusion sound so destructive and heaped in distortion that it’s a fitting end.

Finally, the strongest theme on this soundtrack truly has to be It Has To Be This Way (original version, instrumental (Platinum Mix)). It is used during the strongest fight in the game, the strongest boss in the game, and when the player should be at their strongest. This was also sung by Ours lead vocalist Jimmy Gnecco. I think what I like the most about this theme is how it’s applied in-game. If you’re doing terribly even though the vocals kicked in, the vocals get drowned out if you’re suddenly attacked and in the boss’s clutches. If you’re at an advantage, the vocals kick in again. Again, the vocalist does an excellent job, and the harmonies are an absolute joy to listen to. It sounds more rock-infused, despite having the Platinum Mix accompanying the theme. Best part of this theme, instrumentally, to me is the drum-playing by Ralph Alexander. It gives the theme its heavier nature.

The quality of both the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Original Soundtrack and Vocal Tracks truly cannot be understated. Metal Gear Rising’s Vocal Tracks, in particular, successfully deconstructs, autoclaves, rebuilds, and remasters Metal Gear’s sound direction completely. It took the regular and limited Metal Gear sound and threw it out the window in favour of music that reaches new heights and becomes completely and utterly unpredictable, especially in a dynamic sense. It is certainly, and rightfully so, one of the most confident and impeccable soundtracks of 2013. It is an excellent rock opera. If there is a sequel to Metal Gear Rising, I definitely can’t wait for the sequel to the Metal Gear Rising Vocal Tracks. So, congratulations to Jamie Christopherson. I’m very eager to see what he will do next.​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
2. Bravely Default Original Soundtrack*

CLJGNGO.jpg

Composer: Revo
VGMdb link: VGMdb (Flying Fairy)
AWESOME concert version: YouTube Playlist

*I played Bravely Default when For the Sequel came out in Japan.

I ignored Bravely Default’s soundtrack last year because I knew I would be playing the game somehow in 2013, and that actually happened. While the game was great and let me down in its second half due to its horrendous pacing, the music was consistently a treat to listen to.

Revo is known in Japan for his fantasy bands: Sound Horizon and Linked Horizon . You will probably know him from the Attack on Titan theme songs, to be honest. Looking up Revo’s repertoire and what instruments he could play is something else. He isn’t any stranger to releasing music on the internet, nor is he any stranger to releasing doujin music, having participated in Comiket. Sound Horizon went from composing themes songs for games like Chaos Wars and Belle Isle to including a bunch of big-name acts like Megadeth’s Marty Friedman and Hatsune Miku. Now with their new project Linked Horizon, they’ve started to compose for video games and themes for anime including Attack on Titan’s Guren no Yumiya.

With respect to Bravely Default’s soundtrack, the entire product sounds wonderfully-mastered, with the quality of the instruments being preserved and properly-mixed. I don’t get to hear this on soundtracks that often, so it’s quite a pleasure to hear on the final product that I usually put in a CD player or in my car. The soundtrack’s sound itself doesn’t veer into a completely retro domain, opting not to use chiptune sets or older sounds like FM or anything like that, but it ends up sounding fairly nostalgic because of the pacing of the tracks, and also because of certain sounds that are employed. A few days ago, I spoke to another GAF member and sent them some sound samples and they did note that despite not using retro soundfonts, it sounded so much like a SNES-era soundtrack and I’m very happy to see that other people picked that up as well.

I don’t particularly think as much of Prelude Moving Toward Hope, the game’s title theme (which essentially introduces the game’s prime motif), but with that said, it’s very reminiscent of a sound that Sakimoto would have used a while ago. While it begins with slower pacing, it shifts into a bombastic orchestrated affair. What’s nice is that it blends piano passages reminiscent of Sakuraba’s work (and coincidentally, Motoi Sakuraba plays the piano and organ on this soundtrack) with the orchestrated portions, and it’s mixed so well and seamlessly. The main theme of Bravely Default is used throughout the entire soundtrack, like the music box theme Toward That Prayer (supplemented with great sinister riffs, and an amazing violin melody). The game’s menu theme Eternity’s Moment is a very cute music box theme, fit with chimes to signify a loop and great backing percussion. It’s rather unintrusive and it fits its purpose. The main motif is also repurposed in this silly bombastic version of it in Foolish Event, which sounds like it fit right into a Disney film. Shrine Maiden’s Prayer essentially builds upon Toward That Prayer’s music box introduction.

Land of Beginnings is the first town’s theme that has a wonderful sense of duality to it. It may be fairly majestic to begin with, with a lot of brass, but it’s also fairly humble, which is where the strings and woodwind come in right after its introduction. Land of Sand and a Large Clock is the theme for the game’s second town, which is, as you can hear based on sitar/woodwind/percussion use, a desert town. I’m fairly fond of its tendency to actually progress into a downbeat segment with the woodwind harmonies leading the charge. The Fascinating Flower Country, Florem’s theme, is awfully Mediterranean and European in what instruments it employs. The reliance on strings ends up making the theme sound awfully elegant for obvious reasons. Truly, many of the town themes fit their in-game counterparts.

Sinking Land sounds fairly reminiscent of, and it’s more than likely it’s because I’m so used to the themes in that game being like this given that it revolved around water, some of Mitsuda’s guitar work in some themes in Chrono Cross. With that said, the ensemble part is, again, reminiscent of Sakuraba’s earlier works. I think Land of Civil War is one of the best town themes on the soundtrack. While it introduces the town’s industrial capacity for armour manufacturing in the beginning, it moves into an awesome section with a piano breakdown with frenetic/off-beat percussion, and builds up in a more harmonious, rhythmic, and exciting phase focusing on a heroism touch as opposed to the dour industrial phase. Finally, my favourite town theme is Land of Immortality, particularly because it has backing percussion. Typically snow themes sound so distant and lacking with little rhythm. This has bass and guitar in spades combined with piano, with a wonderful woodwind portion that still provides meaning to the track. Sunlight Filtering Through the Trees isn’t really a “town” theme, but it still is an area theme which is incredibly reminiscent of older happier town themes demonstrated by its bass, guitar, percussion progression, and piano progression.

Beneath the Hollow Moon is definitely one of my favourite tracks on the soundtrack. It sounds so Celtic infused, and it doesn’t seem overarranged or overcomposed. The woodwind and string harmony is so beautiful and the acoustic backing reminds me so much of Chrono Cross (which is my favourite soundtrack ever) that I can’t help but to adore it. World of Scattering Flowers is most definitely reminiscent of older Suikoden sad themes given its tendency to build upon layers and have various movements. Strained Time is the sort of theme I would expect to hear in fantasy horror game like Shadow Hearts, but I truly do love how it builds to a frantic head with creepy strings trying to blend into the theme.

It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to hear an airship theme, but Ship Soaring Through the Heavens is truly one of the best airship themes out there. If I can say so, it’s my favourite airship theme ever. It combines the main motif so seamlessly and heroically, while opening with a wonderful electric guitar intro playing nicely into a piano melody. It’s a wonderful and better arrangement of the world map theme’s, Horizon of Light and Shadow, use of the main motif. With that said, I truly feel like Horizon of Light and Shadow is a little reminiscent of some Suikoden work and I can’t put my finger on exactly why. I suppose it’s the ‘humility’ I feel from it. Ship Racing Across the Ocean is very reminiscent of Koichi Sugiyama’s work in Dragon Quest. It essentially seems to use the same sort of instrumentation and pacing that a Dragon Quest ship theme would use in the context of the Symphonic collections that Sugiyama typically works on. The strings blend in incredibly well with the brass.

The dungeon themes on the soundtrack are also top-notch. I haven’t heard dungeon themes like these in years. Silence of the Forest, while coincidentally sharing the name with one of his own pieces, sounds very much like a theme Mitsuda would have worked on if he still worked in that vein of sound. It sounds incredibly ethereal and uses the synthesizers in the right way, while letting the piano carry the piece. Cave of Darkness, used for multiple dungeons, uses strings so elegantly and harmoniously with the piano to create a dour atmosphere that I haven’t heard in a Square(soft) RPG in a while. Infiltrating Hostile Territory’s magical instruments are its bass and guitar, and it isn’t so often that we get to hear those two instruments in a dungeon setting to hear something fairly often unless they are outright trying to crib from a spy film. My favourite bit of that track is honestly the violin bit in combination with the melodic bass. Truly, the best part of playing Bravely Default was with headphones on to hear how all of these instruments worked in-tandem.

The character themes on this album are incredibly solid. This is truly the first time that I’ve ever been satisfied with every single character theme on a soundtrack before. All of the character themes are played when you use the characters’ super attacks/use a Friend Summon. You Are My Hope is a Celtic character theme for Tiz Arrior, reminiscent of the humble and rustic charm of the first town’s theme, yet also being incredibly heroic leading up to the woodwind and bagpipe breakdown. Wind’s Direction is a romantic (as in the era) theme for Wind Vestal Agnes Oblige, with a focus on romantic strings, gentle plucking, and wonderful violin work. Baby Bird is a theme I hear a lot because a lot of my Friend Summons seem to love using Edea Lee. It’s a happy pop-rock theme with some jazzy stylings, especially with the soprano saxophone being played by Makoto Hirahara. Finally, Love’s Vagrant is the hottest character theme on the soundtrack (especially when you watch the concert video of Revo rocking out while playing his accordion). Tetsuya Kuwayama plays the accordion on the soundtrack version of the theme, accompanied by flamenco guitar, electric guitar, castanets, bass and piano. It’s the best character theme I’ve heard in years.

On to the battle themes. I would put these battle and boss themes up there with the best of Falcom’s. It has been a terribly long time since I have been able to say that I like every single battle theme on a soundtrack in a genuine fashion. Conflict’s Chime does a lot of neat things, but superficially, it combines the new-age rock guitar with the old/retro brass. It’s essentially progressive rock in combination with brass. What it’s very reminiscent of is Grandia/Lunar work… which in turn means that it reminds me quite a bit of Idaware’s work. The breakdown before the loop makes the entire theme worth it to me. Signs of the Enemy Invasion is also fairly reminiscent of Kenji Ito’s work in Romancing SaGa with updated instrumentation. That Person’s Name Is, the Asterisk boss theme[/url] is one of the best RPG battle themes I’ve heard all year, particularly because it sounds a lot like a Falcom theme, bearing the guitar and violin trademark blend and proper mixing/alternating. The second phase of the theme is so delightful to hear with beat drops, frenetic pacing, and a great way to end the loop. Fighting to the End, the Crystal Boss battle theme, features Marty Friedman on guitar and Motoi Sakuraba on the electronic organ… which should truly come as no surprise given that it absolutely positively sounds like an arranged Sakuraba prog rock. I especially love the small bridge bit where most of the rhythm drops out and then builds back up again, because it features the best shredding in the theme overall. It even has a neat organ solo.

Finally, the last few themes on the soundtrack are undecidedly Revo-like. While I’ve been drawing comparisons to other composers’ work, Revo takes it home with his own take on things. Wicked Thing is a fairly special boss theme clearly featuring Atsushi Hasegawa on bass, Marty Friedman on guitar, and Motoi Sakuraba on the keyboard. It’s truly one of the best themes on the soundtrack with guitar, bass, and keyboard mini-solos. This theme’s motif carries on into the final battle themes of the game. Wicked Battle incorporates Wicked Thing’s motif into the theme but focuses heavily on guitar and synth melodies, and continuously builds upon its base with more instrumentation and keeps progressing throughout the theme’s duration. Truly give this one a listen. Wicked Flight opens with a great lead synth melody with rock influence, but predominately focuses on orchestrated melodies. The second portion is truly awesome, launching into a more heroic passage using the game’s main motif with great harmonies.

The best track is the final boss theme Serpent Devouring the Horizon which obviously pulls everything out, including a live choir, heavier guitar riffing, harder percussion, and brass. As with the previous two tracks, this track doesn’t loop. It keeps going. A piano version of the main motif and building it into the main theme’s instrumentation is seamlessly introduced, and then transitions back into the sinister atmosphere that the theme originally had, with more organ, synth, and a carnivalesque electric guitar before finally blending all of the character themes. It’s so wonderful to hear this in action live as the theme is going in-game. It truly ties all of the game’s music together and truly does make the characters themselves feel like a true-blue team. It’s certainly one of the best final battle themes I’ve heard in the last five years, if not the best.

Ballad Moving Toward Hope is a theme that has been featured on Revo’s Linked Horizon project before. Joelle’s voice (and we’ve encountered Joelle before on the Final Fantasy XIII-2 original soundtrack) blends so incredibly well with Revo’s, creating a melancholy and beautiful harmony. It isn’t often that we hear vocal themes for video games like this, so I will certainly take it.

I suppose what I appreciate the most about the Bravely Default soundtracks is that while it uses some complicated design and instruments, the whole product ends up sounding incredibly simple. Nothing seems overarranged or glaringly outstanding (in a bad way). Furthermore, every single theme on this soundtrack finds a way to progress and have more than one section as opposed to staying in one position and then looping that one segment. You can easily feel like the theme progresses. Instead of sounding like a showpiece for an anime come to life with some retro RPG touches like a certain other game’s soundtrack did, Revo gives Bravely Default his own touch from Sound Horizon’s general sound while still staying true to the game’s theoretical design era. It feels like a complete journey through all of the music that Japanese-developed RPGs exhibited, but with Revo’s take on it. This is the way it should be done, folks. I’d love to see Revo compose for more video games.​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
3. Sen no Kiseki Original Soundtrack

60oPLMA.png

Composer: Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama
VGMdb link: Link ; iTunes: US iTunes

This was an obvious pick as well. It was actually difficult to rank this one because there are just so many good soundtracks this year. But yes, this is this year’s Falcom album. Sen no Kiseki streamlines a few things, but this is our first ever glimpse into Erebonia through Class VII. With that said, this is one of those times where I feel like the Kiseki games’ soundtracks sound really good by virtue of having live instruments in some places and better sound samples instead of the iffy sound samples they typically employ (especially in the first two Sora games), so I hoped that would impact the soundtrack fairly well.

Skipping over the fairly triumphant and introductory Prelude –Age of Upheaval-, the OP theme Pulse Towards Tomorrow’s motifs carry on throughout the soundtrack a little. The theme is really catchy, with Kanako Kotera’s vocals being nicely harmonized, and Masaru Teramae’s skillful guitar-playing.

Atrocious Raid is actually one of the themes that opens the game, so it ends up giving players a great first impression of the newer quality samples that are in-use. It’s also a theme with great progression and how it’s used in-game is just great. It truly gives the player a great jolt of energy because it sounds very Falcom in terms of how it’s arranged and how it’s produced, but also because the synth sounds incredibly triumphant, and has a great section steeped in piano and synth before proceeding into a more triumphant and heroic section. It sounds super-cool before it loops back into its intro. By a similar token Risking Everything, Here We Stand called right back to it with a more triumphant intro.

The game has several schoolish themes, such as Refreshing Morning, Back to the Dorm, Evening Moments, Leisure Day, Brain-wracking Test, and Afterschool Hours. I’m terribly fond of Afterschool Hours because it’s simply surprisingly funky with some neat electronic piano. I just feel like each of these themes do their job, but when you’re thinking of a Falcom soundtrack, you aren’t exactly thinking of themes like these. Given the game’s new setting of a schooltime adventure, you’re probably going to notice a few themes that sound like that they dropped right out of a later-series Persona game. Game of Blades is this awesome jazzy track whose samples and instrumentation are things that I wouldn’t necessarily expect to find in a Falcom game. It has fantastic percussion, and a wonderful piano backing. Everything about the theme is catchy and fairly easy to listen to. Sound of Rainfall at the Academy is fairly decent and peaceful piano theme with nice piano backing. The classic Falcom violin makes the entire thing sound better.

Oddly enough, I find Paper-Thin Offense and Defense one of the better and catchier themes on the soundtrack, regardless of what I have to say about the synth. It’s incredibly catchy with a dance backing, and loops very nicely with a great bassline. To Become the Foundation of an Era works along the same lines with a violin harmony lead. The end result is a truly powerful track, excellent in its usage.

Skies of a Strange Land is one of Falcom’s best field themes, with an outstanding violin lead and violin harmony in its second portion with a great guitar backing. It’s an absolute joy to listen to in-game, and it loops fairly nicely. Through the Canyon Road feels so quintessentially Eiyuu Densetsu with how ethereal it sounds with a major focus on its piano melody and intermittent synth, then extending into its violin melody. Land of Blue Skies is legitimately my favourite field theme in the entire game. It reeks of older PS1 RPGs like Chrono Cross (hell, I think it uses the same samples in some places) and Suikoden to boot. More often than not, though, it truly is reminiscent of Chrono Cross’s music, and has a brilliant synth flute lead.

I think we’re all here for the battle themes anyway. They’re among the best in the Kiseki series (even if I still like 3rd’s the most). The Glint of Cold Steel leaves an excellent first impression on the player with respect to the game’s battle themes. Tie a Link of ARCUS! may not be filled with the best synth ever at the beginning (in fact, I genuinely dislike the synth used here as it reminds of the horrendous synth Falcom used in the early to mid-2000s), but as soon as the violin and guitar take the reins, the theme sounds fantastic with great violin and guitar harmonies. It’s one of the better battle themes in the game when it takes off. Don’t Be Defeated By a Friend! is guitar-driven battle theme, though with that said, I’m not as huge a fan of it because I don’t necessarily like the synth employed in it. Even if Driven to a Wall is this very neat chaotic guitar-driven battle theme that reaches its dissonance phase when the violin and synth jump in. It gets points for originality.

Eliminate Crisis! is fairly demonstrative of Falcom using better samples than they usually do. It has some hints of the game’s OP theme, and (and I had to spoil myself on this because I had never played it before Sen), I feel like it links fairly well with Ao’s A Miracle is Shown. It’s arranged very well, and the instrumentation used fits so well with what’s going on. This is definitely one of my favourite battle themes on the soundtrack. Machinery Attack is steeped in electric piano and heavy synth which makes it one of the more interesting battle themes on the entire soundtrack, especially when it jumps into its second portion with more harmonious synth with a piano interlude. Belief is a very awesome guitar-driven Falcom theme with some piano interlude and synth organ. It’s frenetic and as expected of Falcom.

Exceed is a super-cool boss theme, with excellent riffs and wonderful guitar play by Masaru Teramae. The track progresses incredibly well with an amazing pre-loop, so it’s just something that you truly must listen to.

With that said, I feel as though the dungeon themes in the game are fairly good. The game’s old school ruins theme Investigation has an excellent mid-portion with the synth flute and great piano backing overall. Into the Abyss is one of my favourite Kiseki dungeon themes in general, since it sounds like it stepped off of one of the Super Arrange albums. The violin melody is gorgeous, and the piano backing makes the theme sound more earnest. The second portion with synth is absolutely gorgeous. Castle of the Saints is one of the better dungeon themes on the soundtrack with a piano backing but it’s carried through with great synth flute and violin melodies and harmonies. Awakening Legend reminds me an awful lot of Banquet of Frenzy in its percussion, but even with that in the back of my head, I still enjoy the theme a lot.

The final boss theme The Decisive Collision has a beautiful piano intro, which leads into a synth main melody. With that said, I don’t necessarily think it’s the best battle theme on the soundtrack, or even the best final boss theme in the series. To be honest, I think A Mighty Power is a little better despite being a little more one-note as I feel like it ties into the game’s main theme a little better. It’s absolutely fitting in context because of things you’re doing in the final battle in-game, but I certainly feel as though Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land and Azure Arbitor are better final battle themes in the series. With that said, since this is the first chapter in Sen’s branch of the series, I think it is a little unfair to compare it directly to the final chapter final boss themes in any case. The ending scene theme The Only Hope is especially fitting and that’s the only thing I’ll say, haha. Let’s just say that there’s absolute reason to invest in a sequel.

The rock ending theme I Miss You is certainly dissonant from what you’d expect to hear during the credits given what you’d just witnessed. It’s certainly one of the more upbeat ending themes in the series because I expected to hear something more soothing in a sea of greyscale/black/white. In any case, the theme’s incredibly catchy and ends up coming out as one of the better credits themes in the series simply for the sake of being a little different.

I am unsure as to what to say other than this album is one of the best Kiseki albums produced. I think it’s absolutely more consistent than Zero no Kiseki’s was, but it’s not as consistent as Sora no Kiseki 3rd’s. With that said, I find a lot of the in-between themes stronger than the usual final boss/final dungeon themes that Falcom is fairly well-known for. It’s one of the better first chapter albums in the Kiseki series, or maybe even the Eiyuu Densetsu series in general.​

4. Gyakuten Saiban 5 Original Soundtrack

ZnOxOlg.jpg

Composer: Noriyuki Iwadare
VGMdb link: Link

The Gyakuten Saiban games have had a long legacy of excellent music, with a whole slew of arrangement albums to boot. With that said, I feel as though Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies has the best soundtrack out of all of the games due in part to better-quality samples, theme arrangements, and overall composition. Dual Destinies’s soundtrack is filled with prevailing motifs, from character motifs to thematic motifs to returning themes that fans of the series know well and love.

Prologue opens the soundtrack with a slew of various themes and thematic portions of the soundtrack in combination. It doesn’t necessarily seamlessly blend them well, but it works in context. In any case, Courtroom Lobby ~ Prelude to the Future seems to extend from Gyakuten Saiban 4’s reliance on bass, but add some of Phoenix’s own flair to the conversation with piano, guitar, and some synth. Trial plays off of the older trial themes but gives the original melody better backing with better-quality samples, and enhances it, making the theme far more dramatic and fitting of a courtroom trial.

The new cross-examination themes Questioning~Moderato 2013 and Questioning~Allegro 2013 are kind of weird to me because they have this weird time-signature. I don’t see that time signature every day, so it makes the themes more interesting. With that said, I think both themes are among the better cross-examination themes in the entire series. The new Announce the Truth theme for 2013 is an amazing take on the original composed 12 years before. It takes on a more tragic note, adding organs and better sound samples than ever before. Suspense 2013 sounds far more sinister than its original counterpart. Similarly, the improvements also go for Investigation ~ Core 2013, Great Revival 2013, Magical Girl 2013, and With Pearly 2013.

The new Pursuit theme is very good, one of the best in the series. It uses the prevailing instrumentation throughout the entire soundtrack with brass, a constant bassline, and a catchy melody to make its intent clear to the player. The new Detention Center theme is also very good with better string and synth samples.

Both Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice have their themes arranged to sound more elegant. Objection! 2013 has more bass drive accompanying the now-familiar violin-played melody. Apollo gets two themes to his name, both arrangements of his original one. The more sombre I’m Fine! with this absolutely wonderful bass backing and emerging violins with a piano melody, and The Start of a New Chapter! 2013 sounding far more triumphant and more confident with a peppy piano and synth melody leading the way with a guitar bridge.

With that said, the best themes on the soundtrack are the original ones. Nocturnowl pointed out Athena’s themes, and rightfully so. Those are the best themes on the soundtrack for me, never mind that Athena was well-written. Her upbeat theme Let’s Do This! is a peppy synth-filled melody, but where Athena seems to shine is in the courtroom. Bringer of Revolution! is one of the best character themes of the year, with an excellent melodic bass backing, awesome percussion with tons of cymbals and tambourines, and great synth and brass. The progression of the theme is excellent, with the build-up to the bridge of the loop and the brass supporting the way. It’s definitely one of the catchier character themes of the year. The distorted music box version of her theme in Sad Memories is one of the best-arranged versions of that theme on the soundtrack. The most interesting version is The Depths of the Depths of the Heart which is a distorted music box version of her theme. I’m very much a fan of those sort of arrangements.

I also find the additions of Mood Matrix, Wandering Heart, and Arafune Aquarium very pleasant to listen to. Two of them sound incredibly twisted (and essentially one is a cross-examination theme), and the other is a tender, sentimental theme. Departure from Regret is certainly the better out of the sentimental client/suspect pity themes.

The Dark Days of the Law and Phantom~Unknown are two themes I like putting together, not just because they’re right after each other on the soundtrack disc, but because they’re so reflective of what the game is trying to convey. Ace Attorney 5 is a little darker than the other games, I feel. The Dark Days of the Law is certainly a good piece that continues to be sombre throughout, with the bass adding to that, not just the overlaying ensemble. Getting to the brass section of the theme is the direst part of the theme. Phantom~Unknown is one of my favourite final villain themes in the series, because it uses a whole slew of instruments and movements to get its point across, as though it’s difficult to figure out, but it’s one singular entity. There are these strange breaks in the rhythm that’s completely unbecoming of a normal piece, but I enjoy it for that.

Gyakuten Saiban 5’s soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in the entire series, and certainly one of the most consistent soundtracks in the series. I don’t think there are a lot of themes I dislike. Even the NPC themes, which I tend to tire of in the other Gyakuten Saiban soundtracks, are very good, and well-composed. The soundtrack certainly benefits from its arrangements, and especially its better sound samples. It is definitely one of the best put-together soundtracks of 2013.​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
5. Device 6 Original Soundtrack

bp0Gmpl.jpg

Composer: Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng
Found on: Bandcamp

Aside from the fact that some of my favourite games of 2013 were developed by Simogo and scored by Daniel Olsén, I truly felt that the best aspect of Device 6 was its sound design. It’s also very interesting reading how the game’s music was actually made. Essentially the soundtrack—and the game, it feels like—is rooted in 1960s sound. So you have a lot of brass and strings being prevalent throughout the entire soundtrack.

Device 6 might open up with something that sounds like a computer opening, but it quickly switches into a spy flair, complete with swing, string, woodwind, and brass. I do love how it progresses with irregularities appearing throughout, and its conclusion has so much conviction and outright states its finality with a loss of backing and a strong finish. Our Past Products is a great music box rendition of the theme’s motif.

This is certainly one of the better spy-sounding soundtracks, using lower pitch and touchy percussion to its advantage, especially in Porte Pluto. Code Erotica sounds incredibly relaxed with some great brass, some swing, and a fairly jumpy and peppy melody. Mark Magnum blends that spy sound right with some distortion and brass to make it sound more menacing. Ritual Tape is smack right out of that era right down to the structure and instrumentation, which makes incredibly pleasing in terms of being a blast from the past. Alpha, Beta, Cocktail sounds exactly what you think it’ll sound like, with the strings and synth overshadowing its more peaceful soundscape. Lounge Meringue, by contrast, might be a little more palatable for people to listen to, as it lacks that distortion. It’s certainly one of the more ‘fun’ tracks on the soundtrack.

Oculus Opium fits into the game’s sound design so well, and it’s evocative of this through the use of distortion. Garden Festivities is loaded with distortion accompanying the woodwind, completely turning the theme from zen to something else. Radio Calculation does exactly the same thing, with the distortion being completely prevalent in the game’s sound design, making it incredibly unsettling to hear.

Revelation Haze is one of the more interesting themes on the soundtrack since it progresses a little more and its pitch is low. It’s fairly difficult for me to describe, so have at it. It’s one of my favourites on the soundtrack.

Jonathan Eng’s Anna is an awesome acoustic/brass theme, with great lyric mastering and great vocals. It’s incredibly catchy and is one of the better vocal themes of the year.

In any case, Device 6’s soundtrack probably sounds incredibly foreign and odd to people who probably haven’t played the game, but I can certainly say with complete and utter assurance that everything about it works contextually in the game. Device 6 features some of the best sound design in a video game this year, and the music truly favours that assertion. The way everything works in that game is utterly fantastic, right down to the game’s music direction. Given Olsén’s work on Year Walk, it will be interesting to see what he does next.​

Schala’s 2013 Soundtrack of the Year Special Awards

Again, I can certainly do writeups by request.

“Soundtrack I Wish I Could Have Voted For”: Shin Megami Tensei IV
Runners-Up: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Super Mario 3D World ; Pac-Man Championship DX+

This award was originally handed out to Pac-Man Championship DX+, until Shin Megami Tensei IV finally had an album announcement for 2014, which made it ineligible for the award it had won before I made my final edits. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World have so many arranged themes and remixes that I just couldn’t put either of them in the Top 5. In fact, the Top 5 was already set in stone by the time SMT4’s soundtrack had gotten an album date, so this is why it’s here.

I… don’t think I have anything else to add to Thoraxes’ and Yuterald’s posts. I think a lot of what I wanted to say about the album is well accounted-for, and anything else I could add would probably be superfluous or repetitive. Also GAF’s character count is a damn nightmare to deal with and I have more stuff to write. :V I’d wanted to point out the Tokyo tracks, but I see my job is already done.​

“Best Fan Arranged Album”: Mega Rock Carnival
Runners-up: Blue Skies, Green Hills ; Nier Gestalt & Replicant Jazz Arrange EP

aC5mqxx.jpg

Mega Rock Carnival is an album I’ve been trying to push in a few community threads because not only is it a doujin album, but it also has original tracks from former Mega Man composers themselves. The sound quality is very excellent, and I love what they did with a lot of the themes, primarily on the first disc of the album.

Outstanding tracks from Mega Rock Carnival:
PS: Check out that Nier arrangement album. I think it’s one of the best jazz arrangement albums released in years.

“Best Arranged Album” Award: Ys Zanmai
Runners-Up: Falcom Field Zanmai, the arranged tracks in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

NQWnWHA.jpg

I think this is cheating just a little bit because I had mentioned this album off-hand last year at the end of the SotY voting phase. With that said, I don’t think I listened to a lot of official arrangement albums this year, particularly because I don’t think I liked a lot of them.

Outstanding tracks from Ys Zanmai:
If I had thrown votes to A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World and classified them as arrangement albums (and I still feel like they are arrangement albums with some original tracks), I think I would’ve gotten my head bitten off. With that said, A Link Between Worlds’s arrangements are better than expected, standing up to the original A Link to the Past arrangement album that was released years ago. Super Mario 3D World takes a ton of older theme and more recent themes and gives them a jazzy or orchestrated atmosphere that breathes new life into some of the older arrangements. The 2014 Mario and Sonic themes seem to have their own thread, so I think the quality speaks for itself.​

“We Made a Fangame!” Award: Sonic After the Sequel Original Soundtrack
Composers/Arrangers: Tons of people who did an awesome job (Falk, Andy Tunstall, Funk Fiction, KgZ, Mr. Lange, DJ Max-E, Li Xiao’an)
YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW5DHzUU4aUepZGfkJF1iiYB-JYZaB-_h
Runner-Up: Sonic Unleashed mod Project

clY1wsn.png

Sonic Before the Sequel won this award last year, so it isn’t particularly surprising that the follow-up, Sonic After the Sequel, would win this. Sonic After the Sequel may feature some arrangements, but I’ve always appreciated the cool things the composers/arrangers have done with the original music in terms of genre use and neat additions. But the original stuff is just excellent to listen to. Give the soundtrack and the game a chance! It’s well-worth it.

Outstanding tracks from Sonic After the Sequel:

“This Should Be in a Game” Award: Jesper Kyd’s LEGACY

0JYV9VZ.jpg

Composer: Jesper Kyd
Website: http://www.firedearthmusic.com/jesper-kyds-legacy/ / http://www.westonemusic.com/album?catno=WOM_FEM_0017
Runner-up: Bells of Yggdrasil by Jeff Ball; Passage – Motoi Sakuraba

For those of you wondering where in the world Jesper Kyd has been, he’s actually been composing a lot of trailer music. For some, I know that a lot of his music truly sounds as though it came out of a movie score. Well, um, I guess that makes him fairly suited to score film trailers. With that said, I miss hearing Kyd in the usual spots so much, like Assassin’s Creed.

Outstanding tracks from Legacy:
Jeff Ball’s Bells of Yggdrasil is a piano album that takes many notes from Final Fantasy Piano Collection albums, so if you have an interest in that, I would suggest taking a look at it. Sakuraba fans should probably take a look at Passage if they’d like.​

“Crazy Bus” Award of Being Garbage: Time and Eternity Original Soundtrack

KGkZZuA.jpg

Yuzo Koshiro is my favourite composer of the forever, but I feel like he’s been letting me down lately for various reasons. While Koshiro was not the only composer on the Time and Eternity soundtrack, it certainly says something when his work is actually considered for this award, of all things. Time and Eternity’s soundtrack only has 4-5 good tracks. Out of 29 tracks. 2 of those are Koshiro’s. Just two.

It’s as though Koshiro didn’t bother to try with this one. Given the quality of Time and Eternity, I don’t think anyone would have wanted to put in the effort either! Who approved this?

I don’t even want to put the effort into re-writing things I’ve said about the soundtrack in the game’s official thread, so here’s a crosspost.

I'm still very astounded that it seems like Koshiro (and the other composer who did four tracks) phoned it home with this soundtrack. Like everything else, tracks get recycled, so you hear them ad nauseam to the point of growing very weary of them. Typically, when you see Koshiro headlining a soundtrack, you know it's going to be amazing. But this is so off-the-mark, and it dismays me to have to label a Koshiro soundtrack very by-the-numbers with little standouts. Even moreso because he's my favourite composer of all time.

The problem is that it's so typical RPG fare when it comes to music. You have orchestral themes because there's supposed to be orchestral themes somewhere, you have a prissy tea time theme, a horrible comedy theme, sad themes that are predictably played on a piano, heroic themes for heroic stuff, canyon themes that are canyon themes... nothing really stand out. Everything just seems so unoriginal. So unbecoming of Koshiro, who seems to make everything his own, despite the nature of the game he's composing for.

I honestly can't seem to remember a lot of the themes on the soundtrack! I can't remember most of the cutscene music because most of it was so bland. Not even the final boss music because the music cut out for me during the battle and almost froze the game. Now going back to listening to what the final boss theme is, it's the most by-the-numbers final boss theme you can get with any other RPG with a choral background, synth backing, some weird samples here and there, etc. Very little progression in the theme, too.

It's a huge shame that I simply felt that there were maybe 4-5 tracks overall on this 29-track soundtrack that I actually liked. Part of the problem may have been complete and utter repetition for theme use, but the other part of the problem was that there was little that stood out on this soundtrack that made me say, "yes, this is a Koshiro soundtrack and I will give all of my cash to this man yet again!"

Towa's battle theme is probably the best theme on the soundtrack, and that isn't saying much. I'm very underwhelmed by the soundtrack, period.

Time and Eternity is garbage through-and-through.​

LTTP 2012 Soundtrack: Asura’s Wrath Original Soundtrack

Writeup coming soonish. Give me a little break here.​

Honourable Mentions

I don’t think I’ll end up doing writeups for these since I have a ton of work put into this already, but if anyone wants me to elaborate on anything, let me know and I might throw a writeup out in this thread or the results thread.

x. Attack of the Friday Monsters Original Soundtrack ; I kind of want to do a writeup for this, but the Top 5 was the most important list to get out today—I feel like it’s one of the most overlooked soundtracks of the year and I’d truly like to shed some light onto it)

x. Killer Instinct Original Soundtrack ;

x. Year Walk Original Soundtrack ;

x. Gunpoint Original Soundtrack ;

x. Electronic Super Joy Original Soundtrack ;

x. Mighty Switch Force! 2 Original Soundtrack ;

x. Remember Me Original Soundtrack ;

x. Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien ;

x. Guacamelee! Original Soundtrack ;​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I did, so there! I would've loved your thoughts on SMTIV. Oh well.
I certainly can either in this thread or the results thread. Again, I'll take writeups by request like I did last year.

I just need a little break since I wrote all of this yesterday and a little bit this morning, lol.

Soulhouf

It was very hard to select only 3 soundtracks, but here they are. Only listing to balance Dark Schala's huge post XD

f1QZgw.jpg

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV

chapeau_1.jpg

2. Etrian Odyssey IV

chapeau_2.jpg

3. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

Thank god I didn't play Sen no Kiseki yet otherwise the selection would be even more difficult.

Yuterald

Christ, wish I could speak/read Japanese because I'd have a field day with some of that Kiseki stuff. So bummed we'll probably never get a chance to see all of those games in the west. Not that I would expect anything less from Falcom's sound team, but that shit's so good. Great write-ups!

Famassu

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
2. Tearaway
3. Guacamelee

So many great soundtracks, many of which could be argued to be in the Top 3 of 2014, and I'd still hope the voting would take into account even a couple more OSTs, but I'll just throw something in here... -_-; Kind of busy with a few essays and my maester's thesis, so sorry for not doing any write-ups for the OSTs.

1. Bravely Default
2. Fire Emblem Awakening
3. Shin Megami Tensei IV

Honorable Mentions: Etrian Odyssey IV, Pokémon XY, Metal Gear Rising

MrBadger

1. Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance
2. Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
3. Bit Trip presents Runner 2 - future legend of Rhythm Alien

Soulhouf

Just finished reading the 4 posts written by Dark Schala.
It was awesome and now I want to play Time & Eternity because of the soundtrack and Koshiro who is my favourite VG composer.
Thank you Dark Schala.

1) Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Basically Sega doing Nintendo tunes on Nintendo's level. Some of these songs are just like goddamn. I've played and still do not like the source game but the soundtrack leaves me floored every time I check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQn5vbwDrqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbPqUDlnBM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgJQRcs0nL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AwO-gG5zAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CKz4LaT7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avQsrRRMx8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIL2_ac4ME

2) Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

all relevant examples have already been posted. I started playing this game a couple nights ago and I reckon I'm about three quarters of the way through. I've never ever had an action game engage me this much and the music, synced to each fight, is a huge part of that. I'm sure this game will be my retroactive goty

3) Super Mario 3D World

Pretty much a perfect mix of styles for this sort of Mario game, the best OST in the series behind the Galaxy games, just pure fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw65iHvG_5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUwiSbwhlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyUMmWnAiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQnH_18i48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWmPvBSd3Tg

XPE

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Great new music and very good updates of the old music.

2. Tomb Raider

Always seemed to fit the mood when needed.

3. Mario 3D world

4. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

antitrop

I just beat Metal Gear Rising for the first time last night, and after reading Schala's post my head almost fell off from nodding so hard in agreement.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh man this thread is a gold mine of fantastic game soundtracks I've never heard of yet from 2013. *starts making my own list*

Wish I had gotten to this thread sooner, but a quick post will have to do.

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV

SMT IV was greeted with some skepticism due to the absence of several key staff members such as series artist Kazuma Kaneko (mostly absent), and Shoji Meguro, who has had a near-monopoly on SMT music in the past decade. Ryota Kozuka, a relatively newcomer to Atlus who joined the company in 2008, stepped up into the spotlight as the composer for SMT IV. He delivered a soundtrack that simultaneously honored the series' roots (as the entire game did), and took a bold step into the unknown.

Making the smart decision to keep the amount of remixes on the low side, Kozuka's tracks ooze atmosphere and style. It is almost as if tracks from veteran Atlus composers such as Tsukasa Masuko and Toshiki Tasaki were lifted up and had their technical limitations removed. Wandering the sprawling streets of post-apocalyptic Tokyo wouldn't be complete without the synths and beats of the various Field tracks. Town hubs such as Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, and Shibuya offer a conflicting sense of safety and cautiousness, as fitting the ever-dangerous environment. The battle themes, such as the Challenge Quest Battle Theme and Boss Battle Theme are numerous, gripping, and almost feel out of place in a turn-based RPG, adding that familiar sense of speed and action that so many SMT games have.

There is no weak element to SMT IV's soundtrack. From the battle themes to the dungeons to the overworlds, every track is consistent, confident, and memorable. Ryota Kozuka did more than meet expectations for an unknown composer, he completely knocked it out of the park and in doing so, created one of the strongest SMT OSTs around and my personal soundtrack of the year.

2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

MGR's soundtrack has had so much said about it even before it released that it's hard to say much more. It is difficult to truly 'get' the soundtrack until it is heard in context in-game. Dynamic tracks such as It Has To Be This Way and Stains of Time, if absent, would greatly diminish the impact of various boss battles. Even tracks for battles against Zandatsu-bait (otherwise known as soldiers) like A Soul Can't Be Cut and Dark Skies complete the ridiculous sense of action and exhilaration given off by the entire game. Jamie Christopherson's soundtrack could be argued to be more popular than the actual game, but even if that is the case, it's not hard to see why. The soundtrack is a complete reversal of the usual Metal Gear Solid faire, just as Metal Gear Rising itself is, and it is all too memorable and insane not to skyrocket to the front of my list and nearly overtake SMT IV.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening

Unfortunately, I'm running out of time to write here (in case it wasn't obvious above), and it's been some time since I played FE:A and listened to its soundtrack thoroughly. Still, it's memorable enough to still hold a strong third place on my list. Similar to MGR, the dynamic, bombastic soundtrack adds an sense of action to the game that makes it all the more exciting. Also similar to SMT IV, the tracks help to hide the fact that you're simply watching actions play out after selecting them from a list, and contribute so much to the atmosphere. Standout songs like Monstrosity and Divine Decree - Ablaze have an excellent sense of tension and power, while others like Old Battlefield and Conquest - Ablaze have a more formal, military-esque feel fitting with the game's setting. This soundtrack by the trio of Yuka Tsujiyoko, Hiroki Morishita, and Rei Kondoh started off the year with a bang, and in the end proved to be a good omen for gaming soundtracks in 2013.

I'll try to edit in songs quickly here before voting ends, but I really shouldn't have procrastinated on this one.

braves01

Banned
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Desert Palace

2. Super Mario 3D World
Snowball Park

3. Pikmin 3
Garden of Hope

Honorable Mentions: Hotline Miami (not eligible, but I played it this year), SMT IV, Killer Instinct

I'm 100% sure I've missed a lot of great stuff this year, but these were the ones that jumped out at me as I was playing this year. I didn't play SMT IV and KI, but they were featured earlier this year in a couple music threads, which I really enjoyed.

The Boat

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
3. Fire Emblem: Awakening

Honorable mentions:
Bravely Default
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Pokémon X/Y
Sonic Lost World
TW101
Pikmin 3

A shame I don't have time to flesh out on this. ALBW would win if it it didn't rely so much on remakes of old tracks. 3D World deserves an edge considering they're mostly original tunes. This year I didn't get a chance to play to a lot of games or listen to a lot of OSTs though.

SxP

1. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Joe Hisaishi really manages to make every part of exploring the world of Ni No Kuni so much better. All the cities themes are fantastic, with a lot of little nuances that really makes them stand out and make every city feel unique and special.
2. rain
Another soundtrack that really complements the game very well. It’s amazing what the composers managed to do with just a piano. Standout tracks: Girl in Profile and Raindrops, Footsteps
3. Tearaway
A really unique soundtrack, with a lot of variety in the different tracks. Some real standouts are Pilgrimage and both of the Between the Pages tracks.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Puppeteer
The themes of the main characters are the best tracks on the soundtrack and the game uses them in just the right places, which makes them stick in your head and stand out even more.

randomkid

I just realized I messed up the link in my stupid Rick Ross joke in my earlier post so in true OCD fashion I had to edit it.

Schala, I am all ready for a little Friday Monsters love, definitely slept on.

Burbeting

Banned
1. Ni No Kuni
The OST oozed with charm, and was very well done overall. The battle-theme still plays continuosly on my head from time to time.
Kokoro no Kakera

2. Tearaway
Very solid OST. It was a breath of fresh air with using very uncommon instruments making the songs instead of the usual rock-band or orchestral OST.
Pilgrimage

3. The Last Of Us
The songs are overall really slow-paced and almost peaceful, which makes it perfect fit for the atmosphere of the game. Overall nice package.
Vanishing Grace

Runnerup:
Pokemon X/Y
Great new songs and remixes of the old Pokemon songs. Tried to distinct itself from the earlier games ost-wise, which is always nice :).
Gym Leader

Nert

Uncle Nert’s Wacky Pick ™ of the day week(?) is...

SimCIty
i9lIZ7j5UXu5I.png

Composer: Chris Tilton
Album Information

------------------

Boy... wasn't last year's SimCity a total catastrophe? Before its release, it was my most anticipated title of 2013. Now that it's out, it is broadly considered to be one of the largest letdowns of the year, possibly sinking the entire franchise. Given this, bringing this game up in any positive context feels strange.

This thread, however, is centered around celebrating great music, and it would be a shame if Chris Tilton's work here went unnoticed. The official soundtrack release contains over two hours of meticulously crafted songs that serve as wonderful background music, even outside of the game. This music also rewards closer listening, as these generally minimalist and understated tracks still contain plenty of memorable melodies and a surprising amount of energy.

Building the Foundation was the first track that really grabbed me. Even with a six minute length, this song serenely glides from one mood to another in a way that never feels repetitive. After a warm and tranquil opening that is reminiscent of the sun rising, a wonderful strings melody picks up at around 2:00. This leads to a wonderful and lively crescendo as more instruments are thrown into the mix.

Like many of the other soundtracks that I've written about this year, SimCity's soundtrack offers two different versions of almost song. The "Night" variants often place a greater emphasis on guitars and percussion while cutting off several other instruments. In Building the Foundation - Night Mix, the crescendo I just described takes on a much more subdued quality, with the drums taking the place of the wind instruments. A Tale of Sim Cities - Night Mix benefits the most from paring its sound down, making great use of silence and simply sounding gorgeous from beginning to end.

I have a lot more to say about this soundtrack, and I better get to it before the servers start acting up agai...

SimCity-Server-Congestion.png

1. Beyond: Two Souls
Lorne Balfe outdid himself with this one. He finally emerged from the shadows of his mentor Zimmer and delivered his best work yet. Emotional, beautiful, intense and mysterious. This OST has it all. Instead of repeating a few good themes over and over again Balfe opted for a different approach and decided to compose unique cues for almost every scene resulting in 5 hours of music total. Since hardly anything is repeated nothing really stays with you after you first beat the game, although upon re-listening I realized how great most of it is. It works perfectly in the moment too to create a thick atmosphere all the time. My favourite OST of the year!

Notable Tunes:
Nathan's Theme Extended
Jodie's Theme
Beyond
Thinking
The Chase
Childhood Memories
The Experiment
The Embassy
Jodie's Home
Norah
Black Sun
Condenser Destroyed
Jodie Meets Nathan
Ending Credits Part 3
On the Road
They are Dead
Don't Leave Me
Training Montage
Tell Them
The Desert
Summoning
Saint John's Hospital
Mother and Daughter Extended
The Fire
The Fight
Race to the Sub
The Infraworld
Unreleased Theme

2. Remember Me
Olivier Deriviere is one of the all-time greats. He deserves much more recognition for his unique approach to OSTs. Powerful and beautiful.

Notable Tunes:
The Fight
Rise to the Light
Our Parents
Nilin the Memory Hunter
Neo Paris

3. The Last of Us
Santaolalla composed a very interesting and low-key soundtrack. It perfectly blends in with the game pretty much all the time and provides a lot of atmosphere throughout the game. This is not an easy task, so even though most tunes aren't that memorable outside of the game it works absolutely perfectly in the game and Santaolalla deserves props for that. Action scenes are intense too and there is one particular scene near the ending where the music does rise into the foreground during gameplay and makes the scene all the more powerful and special as a result, because it comes out of nowhere and as a surprise. It made me cry.

Notable Tunes:
All Gone (No Escape)
All Gone (Aftermath)
The Path
The Last of Us Theme

GhaleonQ

I moved into my new apartment yesterday. I SKIPPED CHURCH TO GET MY SOUNDTRACKS IN. They will be in later tonight.

As always, I'd love to continue conversations after the deadline and in the results topic. Amazing posts, and I'm glad Dark Schala came through.

Oh man this thread is a gold mine of fantastic game soundtracks I've never heard of yet from 2013. *starts making my own list*

NeoGAF has pretty wide taste. Nert's (and sometimes my) work fostering that has no peer these days, I think.

I was worried that I wouldn't have obscurities, but I'm happy to say that some games I didn't play or did and thought were mediocre have fun soundtracks. (Get on that Gyrozetter, people.)

Budr

1. Grand Theft Auto V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKvsXA94Zk
I haven't actually played it yet but have listened to the score countless times, can't wait until it finally comes to the PC.
2. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6H0kLdhnkk
The game was already dripping with atmosphere and the score complemented it perfectly. Everything going batshit at the end was a particular highlight. The linked track has speech from the game, so spoiler-y.
3. Gone Home
No stand out track, just perfect, low key mood building from start to finish.

Refyref

I wanted to have write-ups about my choices, but due to certain stuff happening, I couldn't actually find the time to write anything. So unfortunately, I'll just have to put up with mostly a list.

1. Pokemon X/Y

This time, the leading composer was Shota Kageyama, resulting in the soundtrack having a more grandiose flavor overall.
Sample tracks:
Cyllage City
Wild Battle
Friends Theme

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV

With Ryota Koduka, a newcomer at Atlus that has previously only composed an intro for a remake, at the helm of this game, we get a soundtrack that turns out to be one of the strongest in the series, that manages to bring the legacy and tradition of the series into a new area.
Sample tracks:
Tokyo Battle
Shibuya Overworld Map
Demon Domain

3. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Noriyuki Iwadare returning again for a great soundtrack in the series. This time, I'd say character themes are the biggest focus. They all fit the characters they represent perfectly, and sets the mood for each of the protagonists' unique personalities.
Sample tracks:
Athena Cykes Objection! 2013
The Dark Age of the Law
Synaptic Resonance

Honorable Mentions:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Finally released in English, this classic's soundtrack is just as worthy of the status as the game itself.

Rise of the Triad
The music fits the mood of the game itself, that being extremely high paced and loud. And it works perfectly.

Mii Force
The StreetPass games have surprisingly good music. Out of the 4 SP games released this years, this one stood out to me as having the most exceptional soundtrack of the lot.

Crayolan

1. Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Basically Sega remixing a slew of already great Mario and Sonic music and making them even better. If anyone paid attention to this game it'd probably on most people's lists. Even if you don't plan on playing this game, the entire soundtrack is worth a listen.
Notable tracks (as if every track is not notable):
Bowser's Galaxy Generator
Buoy Base Galaxy
Coincentration
Super Mario World Ending

2. Rayman Legends
Rayman Legends goes all out in the music department, giving us cheesy spy flick music for underwater mansions, ridiculously stereotypical mexican music for wrestling with giants, and, best of all, the music levels. This spot was tough to choose, but music is such an essential part of Rayman and so was so well done in Legends that it had to take 3rd. In fact, for most songs in the game, posting just the song doesn't do it justice, since songs evolve as you move through the level.
Notable Tracks:
EVERY music level. To see the gameplay for these is to hear the soundtrack how it was meant to be heard.
Luchador
The Spy Who Kicked Me
Ocean Invaded
Dark Creature Pursuit
Strategy and Spying
Hades' Hand

3. Pokemon X/Y
Well it's Pokemon, so of course the music will be amazing. Pokemon XY has a bit of a unique feel with its music compared to past games, but the quality OST is still there.
Notable tracks:
Elite 4
Kalos Legendary Battle Theme
Anistar City
Kalos Power Plant/Pokeball Factory

Honorable Mentions:

x. Super Mario 3D World
The soundtrack was pretty good, but not really stand out like the Galaxy games, keeping it from the Top 3.
Notable Tracks:
A Banquet with Hisstocrat
Castle Theme
Savannah Theme

x. The Last of Us
The music in The Last of Us was only really used to enhance story moments rather than be a constant background, which worked extremely well, but does prevent it from hitting the top 3. Most of the music is designed to work with specific moments, not really for general listening.
Credits Theme (especially the first song!)
The Last of Us

Top Bottom