• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKAMI for Wii confirmed 16:9 or flark is publically flayed alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

marwan

Banned
Okami was one of my biggest disappointments, besides the cool paint brush art, the game plain sucked donkey dick!

Squeak

My biggest concern is the camera. But that's a really big concern.
The camera was huge part of the original PS2 game, the way you could sweep it around and look at the surroundings while running, added immensely to the overall beauty and feel of the game.
The wiimote CAN be AWESOME as a camera controller (much better than even a mouse) as witnessed in the Weather Channel on the Globe.
Oddly and sadly very few games seem to have implemented a camera control scheme involving the IR pointer as an absolute pointing device(Metroid Corruption for one, would have been a completely different game with it).
Here is for hoping that Capcom will have the guts to go against the grain and just do it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
leroy hacker said:
LOL.

I bought Okami on day one expecting to love it and played through the whole thing, so don't think I'm coming at this with some bias.

But LOL.

The moon cave was probably the dumbest, and most momentum killing fetch quest I've ever seen in an action adventure game.

well, my savegame is right before that so i'll see for myself quite soon. maybe i'll feel the same way about it as you did, maybe not.

I did not own a ps2 last gen. So I am excited about the Okami release on Wii. I have to agree with one of the posters above who is concerned about the camera. Hopefully it will not be too restrictive.

The game was barely even available on PS2 round here, by the time they decided to try and release it all the stores and distributors were jerking off to next gen stuff instead.

So even if people wanted too they'd have a hard time just finding the original... let-alone playing it.

Instead of complaining for no reason, I for one welcome a 're-release' on the most popular current gen console giving it a brand new stage to hopefully enjoy a 2nd chance to shine.

Amir0x said:
But there are legitimate reasons to boycott Sony goods. I myself have avoided buying Sony-branded equipment new ever since the whole rootkit debacle made it absolutely clear that their future DRM policies would be designed in such a way as to limit consumer freedom. Both my PS2 and PSP (hacked) are second hand and the only games I bought as new in retail were third party*.

Mind you, if Sony sold off their stakes in the movie and music industries (by that, I mean controlling the content) and focused instead just on hardware, I'd probably forgive them instantly and be back buying everything Sony. If they didn't have those stakes in the content, they wouldn't deliberately gimp their extremely well-engineered hardware by integrating it with draconian DRM.

I also have an aversion to paying full price for Nintendo goods since I know that their margins are falsely inflated (don't even get me started on how they deal with regioning). Brand equity takes them a long way and despite admiring what they've done as a business (under Iwata, naturally) and for the industry, want no truck with an "image" markup as a consumer. I also don't trust Microsoft at all, but then again, I was a jaded Linux user not too long ago.

These companies only want our money and sell us hardware as well as software. They also want to control what the consumer does and what it is we can buy. For some, this is enough reason in itself to avoid the purchase of a company's goods. Then again though, a lot of people will do this for other reasons, many far less rational.

*Admittedly, this does result in giving them some of my money, as does the purchase of UMD movies. But hey, my desire to play games like Okami overwhelms any moral objections I have regarding consumer freedom.

Squeak said:
My biggest concern is the camera. But that's a really big concern.
The camera was huge part of the original PS2 game, the way you could sweep it around and look at the surroundings while running, added immensely to the overall beauty and feel of the game.
The wiimote CAN be AWESOME as a camera controller (much better than even a mouse) as witnessed in the Weather Channel on the Globe.
Oddly and sadly very few games seem to have implemented a camera control scheme involving the IR pointer as an absolute pointing device(Metroid Corruption for one, would have been a completely different game with it).
Here is for hoping that Capcom will have the guts to go against the grain and just do it.

I'm confused by what you mean about that part. Can you please explain? Thanks.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:

Look, Amir0x my old buddy, the fact of the matter is that there are only a few companies I have a dislike for due to corporate policies and the like... and both managed to shoehorn their way into the game industry during the 90s and 00s. I find it comical, personally, but I do have a particular dislike of buying hardware from them because of it... and nearly everyone else is out of the market at the moment. However, I can see folks not buying a PS2 for a variety of reasons involving Sony as a corporation, and I don't see how refusing to buy a luxury item due to dislike of the parent company equates to stupidity.

Granted, I'll probably buy a used PS2 in the next three years or so and make up some time on the lost Capcom and Konami stuff, but still...

sphinx

the piano man
I was gamecube only for several years from 2004 to 2007 and never owned an Xbox or PS2.

I can assure everyone, never once in my many gaming nights did I feel I needed anything else. EVER. I always had something new to play and something good and high quality by the way, believe it or not.

People can go through a generation with one console only perfectly fine.

Jammy

Banned
I have a PS2, but I only bought Greatest Hits games or budget-priced games for the system. I got a lot of play out of it doing this and renting games, but Okami was one of the games I passed on (also because next-gen started to be pumped up more then).

If this gets good reviews like it should, I'll check it out.

Amir0x

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Look, Amir0x my old buddy, the fact of the matter is that there are only a few companies I have a dislike for due to corporate policies and the like... and both managed to shoehorn their way into the game industry during the 90s and 00s. I find it comical, personally, but I do have a particular dislike of buying hardware from them because of it... and nearly everyone else is out of the market at the moment. However, I can see folks not buying a PS2 for a variety of reasons involving Sony as a corporation, and I don't see how refusing to buy a luxury item due to dislike of the parent company equates to stupidity.

Granted, I'll probably buy a used PS2 in the next three years or so and make up some time on the lost Capcom and Konami stuff, but still...

because
they
were
dumb

whatever your personal hangups were, as a gamer, you had no excuse. So you avoided it either because you were dumb, too poor to afford one or dumb. I can understand those who were too poor. But too dumb? Well, I hope while you're busy imagining up reasons to hate the evil Sony corporation in your next response to my post that it'll finally hit you (10 years too late) that rejecting their system also meant rejecting the works of a thousand other completely unrelated developers who created timeless gaming classics.

Maybe it'll also hit you that, hey, maybe that was pretty stupid. Because we play fucking games, not companies.

So. I repeat.

because
they
were
dumb

Haunted

Conrad Link said:
Instead of complaining for no reason, I for one welcome a 're-release' on the most popular current gen console giving it a brand new stage to hopefully enjoy a 2nd chance to shine.
Oh, but Ami's hate for his fellow Nintendo fans is reason enough to shit up this thread.

jarrod said:
Minish Cap was pretty easily the worst 2D Zelda... here's to hoping Okami doesn't keep with tradition. :D
wat. Minish Cap was great.

Amir0x

Banned
Haunted One said:
Oh, but Ami's hate for his fellow Nintendo fans is reason enough to shit up this thread.

Of course! Although my comments are pretty much relegated to chastising people who tried to discourage someone from playing a copy of Okami MoxManiac owned right this second because those Nintards hate games.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Of course! Although my comments are pretty much relegated to chastising people who tried to discourage someone from playing a copy of Okami a person owned right this second because those Nintards hate games.
Well, it's up to him to decide that. I just hope he's going to play the unquestionably superior version of the game which will be released in two months. What he does in the meantime is of no concern to me.

Jammy

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yup!

MC's Cloud Dungeon >>>>xinfinity TP's sky dungeon

<tangent>

I can't remember a thing about that Minish Cap dungeon. City in the Sky was definitely one memorable Zelda dungeon, and certainly one of the best ever, including everything from the beginning to the item and then the boss.

</tangent>

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Yup!

The second half of TMC was the best 2D Zelda ever (though LA is the best as a complete whole), but City in the Sky is the best dungeon in any Zelda ever made. Look it up on google. It's a fact.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I missed Okami too, and I was hyped as hell for it. It just came out at a really crowded time... Wii launch, Zelda, FFXII... by the time the dust settled I couldn't readily find a copy. The Wii version is great news.. though of course it puts off my playing it even more.. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
The second half of TMC was the best 2D Zelda ever (though LA is the best as a complete whole), but City in the Sky is the best dungeon in any Zelda ever made. Look it up on google. It's a fact.

Not only did this sole dungeon shit on the very idea of fan obsession with Zelda storyline/continuity (
LOL CHICKENS IN THE SKY
), but it was a series of increasingly disappointing puzzles which just so happened to be capped off with the only challenging puzzle in the game (
the final one where you have to lower yourself into the room below
). The dual clawshots is a novel concept but they really didn't provide any compelling puzzles inside the dungeon, it just looked cool.

Cloud Dungeon was one of the most perfectly crafted Zelda dungeons in the entire series, where nearly every puzzle/obstacle was at the very least cleverly designed, and at the most brilliant and innovative. Its end, I will admit though, is not quite as cool as the sky dungeon
dragon boss

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AniHawk said:

Sorry, it's not a fact, because Arbiter's Grounds is the best dungeon ever.

Amir0x said:
which just so happened to be capped off with the only challenging puzzle in the game

The Aribiter's Grounds
"chandelier dropping on you"
puzzle would like to have a word with you.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
whatever your personal hangups were, as a gamer, you had no excuse. So you avoided it either because you were dumb, too poor to afford one or dumb. I can understand those who were too poor. But too dumb? Well, I hope while you're busy imagining up reasons to hate the evil Sony corporation in your next response to my post that it'll finally hit you (10 years too late) that rejecting their system also meant rejecting the works of a thousand other completely unrelated developers who created timeless gaming classics.

Eh -- I never saw video games as being important enough to override everything else. How is the personal choice of not buying a particular hardware platform "dumb"? I knew that I'd lose access to a flood of great games, but I'm a patient gamer -- I can wait to play them. Heck, large numbers of great games appeared in multiple formats last generation anyway. I just chose to not buy Sony-made products, and I don't see how that's necessarily "dumb". You can choose to disagree, and you have every right to do that, but I don't see how that makes me "dumb". Perhaps it narrows my choices in electronic entertainment, but again, video games aren't a necessary commodity, and there's nothing wrong nor stupid with not playing them or not having access to them for a point in time. If my reason was something stupid like "DURN THAT SONY FOR ENTERING THE GAME INDUSTRY AND WRECKING IT", I suppose you'd have a case, but as my distaste for the company predates that and ties into corporate donations and political causes, I don't think it's an issue in this case.

Now, if games were open platform formats...

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Not only did this sole dungeon shit on the very idea of fan obsession with Zelda storyline/continuity (
LOL CHICKENS IN THE SKY
), but it was a series of increasingly disappointing puzzles which just so happened to be capped off with the only challenging puzzle in the game (
the final one where you have to lower yourself into the room below
). The dual clawshots is a novel concept but they really didn't provide any compelling puzzles inside the dungeon, it just looked cool.

I've said this over and over, but part of my love for this dungeon, aside from the final puzzle (which was the icing on the cake), was the general atmosphere. You make too much a deal out of the chickens when that dungeon was one of the more aesthetically pleasing in the game and had some of the best dungeon music to boot. It was the lengthiest dungeon in the game, so it had a sort of adventure-within-an-adventure appeal as well. I don't look at the individual puzzles. I hardly remember any dungeon for their individual puzzles in any game, let alone the Zelda series. It's the overall experience. Or something.

Kinda like how that final dungeon in Okami was so awesome
(the one with the lightning)
. Overall it was an extended adventure compared to the rest of the game. Can't tell you much about what went on inside it though, but I know I liked it (see? getting this topic back on track).

DDayton

I did like the double hookshots for the gameplay alterations they offered, but (like nearly everything else in the recent Zelda games) they were barely used outside of their dungeon.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I've said this over and over, but part of my love for this dungeon, aside from the final puzzle (which was the icing on the cake), was the general atmosphere. You make too much a deal out of the chickens when that dungeon was one of the more aesthetically pleasing in the game and had some of the best dungeon music to boot. It was the lengthiest dungeon in the game, so it had a sort of adventure-within-an-adventure appeal as well. I don't look at the individual puzzles. I hardly remember any dungeon for their individual puzzles in any game, let alone the Zelda series. It's the overall experience. Or something.

Kinda like how that final dungeon in Okami was so awesome
(the one with the lightning)
. Overall it was an extended adventure compared to the rest of the game. Can't tell you much about what went on inside it though, but I know I liked it (see? getting this topic back on track).

See honestly, I thought sky dungeon was one of the least appealing looking places in the game as well. I was more fond of Arbiter Grounds. To me sky dungeon's best asset was its ethereal feeling, but the actual design was just a series of repeating block textures on the floor and walls in at least 75% of the rooms, and it wasn't even a particularly appealing texture. It was not attractive to me at all, and believe me this was the dungeon I was most anticipating playing through.

oh yeah that Okami dungeon is cool

DDayton

Amir0x said:
See honestly, I thought sky dungeon was one of the least appealing looking places in the game as well. I was more fond of Arbiter Grounds. To me sky dungeon's best asset was its ethereal feeling, but the actual design was just a series of repeating block textures on the floor and walls in at least 75% of the rooms, and it wasn't even a particularly appealing texture. It was not attractive to me at all, and believe me this was the dungeon I was most anticipating playing through.

The repetitive part is true, but I think the Sky Dungeon also suffered a bit from relying a bit too much on the sky gimmick without actually making it fun, too many opportunities to fall and restart a room, slow segments of dangling and waiting to do things...

Has there been a Zelda game with either a stealth or "wait" sequence that actually made it fun? I guess I'm vaguely talking about a Zelda sequence which removes player control over progression speed... the closest I can think of would be the "ship of death" in Ocarina of Time, but that was a fairly small sequence.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amir0x said:
See honestly, I thought sky dungeon was one of the least appealing looking places in the game as well. I was more fond of Arbiter Grounds.

Eh? Arbiter's Grounds is the best dungeon ever but its aesthetics was pretty weak. Lots and lots of brown.

If you want aesthetically pleasing dungeons in TP, the Ice Mansion and the Twilight Dungeon are the ones worth noting.

jarrod

Banned
Minish Crap was easily more dissapointing than Twilight Princess, but not quite as dissapointing as Wind Wanker. It's pretty janky and unrefined overall though, with a flat out terrible dual world mechanic and the worst exploration and puzzle solving in the series imo. I dunno what happened after the greatness of the Oracle twins, maybe Inaba needs Miyamoto breathing down his neck to get decent results? :lol

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yup!

I can't agree with you on this but can I agree with you on MC>PH?

jarrod said:
Minish Crap was easily more dissapointing than Twilight Princess, but not quite as dissapointing as Wind Wanker. It's pretty janky and unrefined overall though, with a flat out terrible dual world mechanic and the worst exploration and puzzle solving in the series imo. I dunno what happened after the greatness of the Oracle twins, maybe Inaba needs Miyamoto breathing down his neck to get decent results?

Minish Cap is one of the best Zelda games in the handheld series. Second to LA.

You can't honestly call Minish Cap "Minish Crap" after the disaster called "Phantom Hourglass".

Its really a shame how low MC sold :\

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
From the Boxart thread: tiny, tiny boxart shot from Capcom's online store:
Wii_Okami_boxShotLarge.jpg

Also: The first, tiny, tiny screenshots of the actual Wii version! Unfortunately, this confirms that 16:9 mode = 4:3 Mode with black bars. I guess it is kind of nice that I don't have to mess with the aspect ratio button on my tv, but I don't consider this real 16:9 support.

Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge2.jpg
Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge1.jpg
Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge3.jpg

Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge4.jpg
Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge5.jpg
Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge6.jpg

viciouskillersquirrel said:
That looks delicious. At least Capcom took the time to rethink their branding. That's gotta count for something, right guys?

Except there's no Clover logo on the box...

Also, is it just me, or do the colors seem darker in those screens?
The game was beautiful, but seemed a bit more washed out on the PS2 than those screens...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
morningbus said:
Also: The first, tiny, tiny screenshots of the actual Wii version! Unfortunately, this confirms that 16:9 mode = 4:3 Mode with black bars. I guess it is kind of nice that I don't have to mess with the aspect ratio button on my tv, but I don't consider this real 16:9 support.

oh well. i'll still double-dip as this game outright deserves it.

Jigsaw

Banned
230247b.jpg
256px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

same artwork,only mirrored + turned a few degrees x)

original looks better though,the many pink hearts look kinda gay

duffey

I'm kind of hoping (I know, it's wrong to hope for things) that those are just old screenshots and that the full build will have 16:9. But at least if progressive scan is in I'll be happy.

morningbus said:

Their shots for the PS2 version have the same bars. I'm hoping someone just messed up with the screen captures, but I doubt it. :(

AceBandage said:
Except there's no Clover logo on the box...

Also, is it just me, or do the colors seem darker in those screens?
The game was beautiful, but seemed a bit more washed out on the PS2 than those screens...
Ah, glad I'm not the only one. I've been trying to put my finger on what's different, but I can't... I think it may just be scaled down and things seem sharper...

Also, it IS the Wii version, you can see the PLUS button.

morningbus said:

Wii_Okami_screenShotLarge2.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me? BLACK BARS!?! With the length of time this took, the least they could do was widescreen it. I have a widescreen TV, and now I have to look at these ugly black bars for the whole game!

BTW, the new boxart fails. Marketing to girls ftw? I mean, how is a non-gamer going to take those hearts seriously?

Anihawk said:
City in the Sky is the best dungeon in any Zelda ever made. Look it up on google. It's a fact.

Hells no! That music drove me batshit insane, and don't even start on those creepy-ass Ocoocoos. The hookshot puzzles were annoying, though the final boss was fucking Awesome with a capital A.

fwiw, the Nintendo Power article and interview last month did state that they were specifically looking at 16x9 and 480p. Isn't this the same issue that came up when the first RE4 Wii shots appeared? I think it more has to do with the screenshots Capcom uses than the actual game itself.

Lobster

Banned
I thought the new boxart looked mature :lol

Then I noticed the hearts.

I still like it though, the purple colours nice and will make it stand out in the Wii games.

Innotech

Banned
hmm it does seem more vibrant. the wii is capable of much better texture rendering than the Ps2 which always washed out colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom