• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

MAtgS

If we get Pit, Mega Man, & Simon in SSB but no Captain N I'm gonna be pissed.
& I'll be the only one.

Azure J

I could be wrong, but didn't she not do any work on Castlevania between DXC and HoD? I thought OoE was just by an artist that was more similar in style to Kojima.

Really? I seem to remember one of the big deals about OoE's stuff (at the time) was Kojima handling most of the art for it. Either way, I liked that style and would love to see more of that style used in Castlevania in the future.

Really? I seem to remember one of the big deals about OoE's stuff (at the time) was Kojima handling most of the art for it. Either way, I liked that style and would love to see more of that style used in Castlevania in the future.

Just checked, OoE's art is credited to Masaki Hirooka. Here's his website with more work, if you're curious.

Kjellson

I just found out that Hanuary 21st is not only Smash Bros.'s 15th anniversary, it is also the 20th anniversary for the first Wario Land game. Hype.

I can just imagine the character trailer. Pit, Luigi, and Kirby see a castle and decided to explore it. After they enter, the door shuts behind them. A swarm of bats attacks them and the three are momentarily blinded. Then all the bats get blown up. The screen moves over to the shadowy figure that helped them.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

Fixed that for ya, bud.

I just found out that Hanuary 21st is not only Smash Bros.'s 15th anniversary, it is also the 20th anniversary for the first Wario Land game. Hype.

Is there any precedent for anniversaries having an influence on updates? As far as I can recall only new releases have been tied to character reveals.

Neiteio

They should copy Pokemon Trainer for Advance Wars

Nell is the trainer while Andy, Sami, and Max are Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard respectively.
Fun idea. :) If I may riff on it, how about Andy, Sami and Max launch the vehicle sprites for their specials, as per the Assist Trophy in Brawl, I.E. summoning plane sprites, tank sprites, etc. They could of course have their own unique CO powers and other defining features like Andy's wrench, etc.

In my opinion, I'd rather have someone like King Boo, Monita, Captain Rainbow, Birdo, or heck even Stork and the Babies before we got someone like Simon. But then again, I have always been partial to including those sort of not well known/requested characters, anyway.

Gartooth

In my opinion, I'd rather have someone like King Boo, Monita, Captain Rainbow, Birdo, or heck even Stork and the Babies before we got someone like Simon. But then again, I have always been partial to including those sort of not well known/requested characters, anyway.

Completely disagree on that. Simon Belmont would draw more attention than all of those characters combined. As far as character choices that weren't highly requested / popular, I think the roster is doing that well enough with a lot of the newcomers. The only character like that to get in so far has been Mega Man. There wasn't a soul who asked for Wii Fit Trainer, and the Mario and Animal Crossing fan bases were very split on who they wanted to see show up. (With the latter giving up hope to even get a fighter post-Brawl)

leroidys

So I have some legitimate
(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced newcomers rather than 5 or 6.

I was completely stonewalled trying to get any information or specifics. I did find out something interesting though, that they were never allowed to play as Kirby, as that would spoil/reveal something.

Fiktion

Banned
(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced characters rather than 5 or 6.

I was completely stonewalled trying to get any information or specifics. I did find out something interesting though, that they were never allowed to play as Kirby, as that would spoil/reveal something.

Time to comb through Kirby screenshots. Which moves haven't we seen yet?

DaBoss

What positions do these people have in Nintendo that allow them to play builds of Super Smash Bros? I don't mean to call your friends liars, but that makes it seem like lots of info are prone to being leaked.

Ryce

(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced characters rather than 5 or 6.

So your "friend" is allowed to play as unannounced newcomers, but using Kirby is where Nintendo draws the line? That doesn't make any sense.

leroidys

What positions do these people have in Nintendo that allow them to play builds of Super Smash Bros? I don't mean to call your friends liars, but that a makes it seem like lots of info are prone to being leaked.

It seemed to me like actually getting to play smash and knowing unrevealed stuff were separate things, like they had possibly heard about the roster or whatever through corporate chatter, whilst on the other hand the build they played only had e3 characters, or something like that.

So your "friend" is allowed to play as unannounced newcomers, but using Kirby is where Nintendo draws the line? That doesn't make any sense.

No, I didn't get the impression that they had played unrevealed characters.

leroidys

Ah, I see. Your friend played as the E3 characters and only heard about the others? (You've managed to last five years at GAF, so I think I trust you.)

Yeah I wasn't really able to get any new information, sorry smash-bros :(

They did say that the target was a spring release though, which seems to confirm what the NoE dude let slip a few weeks back.

The person I was talking to is also not a "hardcore" gamer, so it's possible the they don't know that Rosalina has been revealed publicly, for example. We mostly talked about Nintendo corporate stuff.

-Horizon-

(non)

Oh man, come on Lucina and Palutena reveal. That's all I want/need.

leroidys

Oh, one other thing that may be interesting. I asked if there were any 3rd party characters besides Mega Man and Sonic, and they wouldn't answer yes or no.

DaBoss

Yea, I imagine it is the hats for Kirby that prevents people from playing it.
It seemed to me like actually getting to play smash and knowing unrevealed stuff were separate things, like they had possibly heard about the roster or whatever through corporate chatter, whilst on the other hand the build they played only had e3 characters, or something like that.
Ahh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

JazzmanZ

(non)

Why would there only be 1-2 unrevealed characters left?

Sponge

Banned
(non)

I'm guessing it was Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii since they were in that post along with WFT, Villager and Mega Man before E3.

Loco4Coco

(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced newcomers rather than 5 or 6.

Oh, one other thing that may be interesting. I asked if there were any 3rd party characters besides Mega Man and Sonic, and they wouldn't answer yes or no.

That's just my own interpretation. I meant unannounced newcomers specifically. I'll edit the original post.

skeptical.gif

leroidys

Just skeptical.

That's probably the smartest stance to take. I'll just point out though that I've been here for over 5 years without a ban, and have never posted "insider" bullshit before.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for new information. Come on, Nintendo Direct.

Thanks, leroidys.

No Problem. It just made me want some real news too :( I thought I would go ahead and post what little I was able to scrape anyway.

jph139

It's entirely possible your bullshitting but considering there's no actual information I'm inclined to believe you.

Spring release would be golden.

(non)

Why even bother teasing people if you have nothing new to reveal? Kidnap your friend and force him to spill the beans.

New rumor for the tumblr

First off, I do not know what Sakurai plans to update with for individual POTDs, as he does it as his own pace bar special examples like revealing characters to coincide with releases and Nintendo Directs.

Anyway, I have been talking to a source of mine who knows quite a bit about Smash 4, and has shared with me various details that I have compiled, some of this info is based on planned content and may not make it into the final cut, however, he believes that at this point in time everything is more or less set.

First, the only cuts are Snake (due to issues with Konami), and Lucario and Ike, due to lacking "relevancy" when the character roster was being formed.

Newcomers are Villager, WFT, Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Medusa, Mewtwo, Genesect, Mach Rider, Chrom, and a new original character named "Master Hanafuda". Little Mac will be the next newcomer to be revealed, but I am not sure when, but in a soon-to-be Nintendo Direct.

Rather than typing up the mass amount of info I've been given, instead I will answer questions asked about what is, or isn't, included in Smash. Believe me or not, but I shall provide answers regardless to any question.

leroidys

It's possible your friend is 'bullshitting' too through.

Yeah. The information was innocuous enough though that I thought it would be worthwhile to post anyway. It's someone I've known for ~20 years, so I'm inclined to believe them even if I don't think they're up on all the latest gaming news.

New rumor for the tumblr:
"Newcomers are Villager, WFT, Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Medusa, Mewtwo, Genesect, Mach Rider, Chrom, and a new original character named "Master Hanafuda". Little Mac will be the next newcomer to be revealed, but I am not sure when, but in a soon-to-be Nintendo Direct."

Removing Lucario for lack of relevancy but putting Genesect in?

NFHV9K4.gif

Top Bottom