• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

leroidys

Last part is kind of confusing. Was your friend hinting that he knew of a couple new characters that weren't shown off at E3 exclusively, or was he referring to the roster as a whole? If its just E3 I can imagine Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man being the characters shelved for a later date; just hoping what I'm reading into your words isn't what I think it means.

They didn't say E3 exclusively, I think the term they used was "in the trailer", so I interpolated E3 into the quotation with the square brackets []. I assumed by "the trailer" that they meant "the E3 trailer".

Sorry, I don't know if that clears up anything. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

One other thing they said was that MK8 is amazing and that the online is fantastic. I don't think that's news though lol.

leroidys I hope I can trust you on the spring date because if true mybe my june hope is not a far off as everyone thinks, I mean sakurai did say he wanted to get this out as soon as possible and there currently beefing up the roster.

I hope your friend just means just the newcomers at e3 and not that there are only a few newcomers left that be disappointing. Does your friends work in the gaming industry, how would they get hold of this info?

leroidys

leroidys I hope I can trust you on the spring date because if true mybe my june hope is not a far off as everyone thinks, I mean sakurai did say he wanted to get this out as soon as possible and there currently beefing up the roster.

I hope your friend just means just the newcomers at e3 and not that there are only a few newcomers left that be disappointing. Does your friends work in the gaming industry, how would they get hold of this info?

It's not me that you'd want to trust on the spring date, but rather the dev team.

I got the sense that they were talking about the roster as a whole. I don't think every trailer and daily pic is a discrete event to them, as they are more of a casual gamer. Also if you already know the games content, you're not going to be following the trickle of info too closely. The conversation was more centered around revealed stuff vs. not revealed stuff rather than specific reveals/directs/daily pics, builds, etc.

They didn't say E3 exclusively, I think the term they used was "in the trailer", so I interpolated E3 into the quotation with the square brackets []. I assumed by "the trailer" that they meant "the E3 trailer".

Sorry, I don't know if that clears up anything. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

One other thing they said was that MK8 is amazing and that the online is fantastic. I don't think that's news though lol.
does mario kart 8 still have funky kong

mario kart 7's online was sorely missing this

Well, I don't necessarily mean legal issues, but technicalities and such. Like, would Sakurai even consider it since it's not a Nintendo created character, and not even a video game character? It would be fitting, though, given Nintendo's history.

Wouldn't that mean Medusa and Hades are off the table too?

KHlover

Banned
That wasn't a fight at all , you were running away from her as you wanted to fight the Chaos Kin.Wasn't the second fight a clone made by Dyntos?

People consider being a brainwashed slave a true fight?

Idk, but the fight against
the clone
definitively is.
And since Dyntos clones are perfect it DOES give us a pretty good idea of what Palutena could fight like

That clears it up, thanks. Somehow I assumed you were talking about newcomers in totality. "A few" can have different interpretations depending upon the person.

leroidys

That wasn't a fight at all , you were running away from her as you wanted to fight the Chaos Kin.Wasn't the second fight a clone made by Dyntos?

People consider being a brainwashed slave a true fight?

Well she has her own moves, so I do. (To your second part).

It's not me that you'd want to trust on the spring date, but rather the dev team.

I got the sense that they were talking about the roster as a whole. I don't think every trailer and daily pic is a discrete event to them, as they are more of a casual gamer. Also if you already know the games content, you're not going to be following the trickle of info too closely. The conversation was more centered around revealed stuff vs. not revealed stuff rather than specific reveals/directs/daily pics, builds, etc.

so you think based on what your friends said we only be getting 2 more NEW characters in the final roster :( please clarify if I am wrong

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The mythology in the Kid Icarus series is more Japanese wearing a laurel wreath than Greek.

Flowmoney

Her name's in the title. In Japan anyway. Kinda counts for something.

Palutena is an alright character but we already have female characters that rep magic .

Zelda , Sheik , Rosalina and like Peach to an extent.

Would be nice to see true combat ready female from like fire emblem or the advance wars series.

I believe great diversity in terms of play styles make for a better game.Which includes giving female characters more to do than be like royalty based characters that utilize magic. Samus is like only female character that is serious enough out of the roster.

Village

Palutena is an alright character but we already have female characters that rep magic .

Would be nice to see true combat ready female from like fire emblem or the advance wars series.

I believe great diversity in terms of play styles make for a better game.Which includes giving female characters more to do than be like royalty based characters that utilize magic. Samus is like only female character that is serious enough out of the roster.

Twilight princess zelda is pretty serious actually.

rawktapus

Those characters still all play dramatically different, and Palutena, in addition to having an incredibly distinct personality that sets her apart from the other "royalty",, certainly could rely on things other than magic, such as summoning centurions or weilding her staff in battle to prove herself a fun, unique addition to smash.

leroidys

so you think based on what your friends said we only be getting 2 more NEW characters in the final roster :( please clarify if I am wrong
That's how I interpreted it, but now that you mention it, that doesn't seem plausible. That would mean 4 would have only half of the newcomers as brawl. Maybe they were talking about the E3 trailer in particular? Or maybe they said "a couple" as that was all the un revealed newcomers they were privy to?

Betty

Banned

Wii Fit trainer is serious.

Neoxon

Last part is kind of confusing. Was your friend hinting that he knew of a couple new characters that weren't shown off at E3 exclusively, or was he referring to the roster as a whole? If its just E3 I can imagine Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man being the characters shelved for a later date; just hoping what I'm reading into your words isn't what I think it means.
I read it as there were characters that were intended to be revealed at E3 last year but we're held back for whatever reason.

That's how I interpreted it, but now that you mention it, that doesn't seem plausible. That would mean 4 would have only half of the newcomers as brawl. Maybe they were talking about the E3 trailer in particular? Or maybe they said "a couple" as that was all the un revealed newcomers they were privy to?
If the next E3 trailer is set up the way last year's was, they could have just meant the couple (so a Nintendo newcomer and a 3rd party?) being held back for that. Even ignoring how that'd annoy me personally only having 6 newcomers, it'd be weird to reveal the entire newcomer cast and have nothing left for unlockables.

I'm still banking around 10 newcomers, which honestly is pretty conservative in itself if you compare how many newcomers every other game had (12, 14 and 18).

leroidys

If the next E3 trailer is set up the way last year's was, they could have just meant the couple (so a Nintendo newcomer and a 3rd party?) being held back for that. Even ignoring how that'd annoy me personally only having 6 newcomers, it'd be weird to reveal the entire newcomer cast and have nothing left for unlockables.

I'm still banking around 10 newcomers, which honestly is pretty conservative in itself if you compare how many newcomers every other game had (12, 14 and 18).

Yeah, "a couple" in colloquial speech can be pretty loose though, could even mean 4 or 5 (unlikely) in which case that would be 8 or 9 newcomers.

14 is technically correct for melee, but I would add the asterisk that 6 very unimaginative clones were added late in development at the expense of Dedede (for a net of 5). If we ignore clones, which Sakurai seemed to eschew for Brawl (I don't consider Lucas, Wolf, Ike, etc clones, and several returning clone characters were made more unique), that would be a net of 9 non-clone newcomers for Melee. In light of this I think a number as low as 9 is plausible, but I think (and hope) that it's probably higher.

Yeah, "a couple" in colloquial speech can be pretty loose though, could even mean 4 or 5 (unlikely) in which case that would be 8 or 9 newcomers.

14 is technically correct for melee, but I would add the asterisk that 6 very unimaginative clones were added late in development at the expense of Dedede (for a net of 5). If we ignore clones, which Sakurai seemed to eschew for Brawl (I don't consider Lucas, Wolf, Ike, etc clones, and several returning clone characters were made more unique), that would be a net of 9 non-clone newcomers for Melee. In light of this I think a number as low as 9 is plausible, but I think (and hope) that it's probably higher.
Rereading your original post, did they actually put it as 'even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]'? Because that sort of does read to me that they meant more that there were more newcomers he was playing with than Villager/WFT/Mega Man, or even just that the veterans shown off post-2013 E3 like Luigi/Olimar/Zelda/Dedede/etc. compared to the 2013 demo Sakurai showed off at E3 and on the Direct which only showed off the initial 12.

Brawl's demo's that made the rounds constantly cycled through who was available to play as and who wasn't, so unless your friend's in QA or is part of the localisation team it could maybe possibly be something along those lines.
I'm starting to sound like how I did on other forums when Brawl's roster was leaked and I was trying to desperately disprove it because I really wanted more characters than the actual 39.

EDIT: Also Kirby was held off from Brawl's pre E3 demoes as well. Probably due to the possibility the game's beta code could glitch out if he did his default B move and cycle through to a character's hat who hasn't been properly revealed yet. Not sure why that'd be a deal to actual Nintendo of America employees though.

leroidys

Rereading your original post, did they actually put it as 'even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]'? Because that sort of does read to me that they meant more that there were more newcomers he was playing with than Villager/WFT/Mega Man, or even just that the veterans shown off post-2013 E3 like Luigi/Olimar/Zelda/Dedede/etc. compared to the 2013 demo Sakurai showed off at E3 and on the Direct which only showed off the initial 12.

Brawl's demo's that made the rounds constantly cycled through who was available to play as and who wasn't, so unless your friend's in QA or is part of the localisation team it could maybe possibly be something along those lines.
I'm starting to sound like how I did on other forums when Brawl's roster was leaked and I was trying to desperately disprove it because I really wanted more characters than the actual 39.

EDIT: Also Kirby was held off from Brawl's pre E3 demoes as well. Probably due to the possibility the game's beta code could glitch out if he did his default B move and cycle through to a character's hat who hasn't been properly revealed yet. Not sure why that'd be a deal to actual Nintendo of America employees though.
Yeah it was in terms of newcomers, we were just talking about MM and WFT.

I didn't ask who they had played with. I assume it was other Nintendo employees, but it could have been media, partners, employees kids, etc. that they wouldn't want to disclose anything to.

Also, it's Nintendo. I'm sure that even if everyone in the building knew the roster, Nintendo would keep up the facade of SECRET SECRETS! just because things haven't been officially revealed.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
My friend at Nintendo ignores my phone calls.

GamerSoul

Perhaps a stretch but maybe to do with a Kirby Stone (Down + B) Cameo?

That would be nice. They are probably reworking is move set again. Sakurai has been slowly revealing little changes to certain character moves so I can understand why he wants to keep certain characters moves under wraps for now.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Just came to say that Wolf is cool. Wolf Flash spikes are immensely satisfying and awesome. You should all play Wolf right now.

Plus he's surprisingly tall, but chooses to stay low at all times because he's actually smart.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I like Wolf in Project M. Forward B kills are yummy.

Yeah, Wolf in Project M is really fun. Combos into Wolf Flash are just brutal.

They're so cool when off-stage too, because Wolf gains an extra Flash if he lands the hit on an opponent.

Yeah it was in terms of newcomers, we were just talking about MM and WFT.

I didn't ask who they had played with. I assume it was other Nintendo employees, but it could have been media, partners, employees kids, etc. that they wouldn't want to disclose anything to.

Also, it's Nintendo. I'm sure that even if everyone in the building knew the roster, Nintendo would keep up the facade of SECRET SECRETS! just because things haven't been officially revealed.

Anyway you can ask them what they meant, and how exactly did they word it?

leroidys

Anyway you can ask them what they meant, and how exactly did they word it?
I got all the information out of them that I could (which was essentially nothing). I'm not going to be seeing this person again for a couple months at best.

Ты настоящий принц?

I got all the information out of them that I could (which was essentially nothing). I'm not going to be seeing this person again for a couple months at best.

Ты настоящий принц?

darn, anyway possible they wernt shown the full game?

sorry I just be very disappointment if we are only getting 2 more new characters it just seems like so little after waking this long between brawl and this game

edit- no I am not a real prince(wish) it's just a username that I used for starwars battlefront loooooooooooong time ago and it stuck.

leroidys

sorry I just be very dissapointed if we are only getting 2 more new characters it just seems like so little after waking this long between brawl and this game
I think you're worrying too much. I bet we'll see at least four more. Only two more would mean less non clone newcomers than melee, which was made in a year.

I think you're worrying too much. I bet we'll see at least four more. Only two more would mean less non clone newcomers than melee, which was made in a year.

honestly I hope we get more then that since I am pretty sure little mac, pacman, and mii are in based on the pre e3 leak.

Triton55

Theoretically, if there WAS a beta version floating around Nintendo, it would probably just be a demo version. I doubt a build with the full roster would leave the main development offices. Maybe Mario Club after a certain point.

is this what you were told that you assume meant couple more characters left for the entire roster?

"even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]",

if so they could easily mean there were talking about just a couple more characters that were revealed at the time. did they say they played with just the characters revealed at the time which I believe was 12 vets and 3 newcomers + a few others?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Not too worried about newcomers to be honest. As long as Sakurai doesn't pour resources into another stupid story mode then I think we're good. Brawl was definitely a lesson to learn from in that regard.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Disaster: Day of Crisis had plenty of them.

It never came out for United States, so I never had chance to play that game. I just realized that both games wasn't created by Nintendo, but they are Second Party Company.

Kung fu Jiggly is the most combat ready female.

Please give us Jigglypuff soon.

sorry I just be very disappointment if we are only getting 2 more new characters it just seems like so little after waking this long between brawl and this game

methinks that you worried tooooooo mucccccch. We might have less newcomers for starting character, but more newcomer secret characters. That;'s if unlockable character still exist.

Gartooth

Spring release for Smash sounds more probable than the late 2014 / November talk anyway. I could definitely see this game release somewhere between May and September depending on when MK8 launches.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
. That;'s if unlockable character still exist.
8pt70Dx.png

Don't say things like that.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think for this game whenever the release date is announced I'm going to tread lightly around the internet. I don't want to be spoiled about everything in the game like Brawl. I want to feel surprised when I was a kid to unlock Mewtwo and Falco and "WTF" when I unlocked Game & Watch.

Gartooth

Unlocking characters in Smash is awesome because you have to beat them in a match to have them along with the whole shock of seeing someone like Mewtwo or Mr. Game & Watch come running at you. Only time I didn't like it was Brawl where the characters were given for "free" (SSE) or when the characters are already known to be in the game. (Snake/Sonic)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
8pt70Dx.png

Don't say things like that.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I really love to unlocking the characters, and Melee's method to unlocking characters is one of best. However I'm concerned about Sakurai's thoughts where he might be concerned about people became uninteresting if they had to unlocking the characters twice on 3DS and Wii U.

Don't a lot of people usually complain if they have to apply effort to unlock a character?

I remembered a lot of complaints about Brawl's, but I know many people love Melee's methods of unlocking. I guess people were burned out by SSE, so they probably don't want to go through that again if they lost the saves.

Top Bottom