• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

NeonZ

& the whole "knowing the roster" deal kind of started with Dojo. Yeah, it was cool getting all those updates, but on the other hand, we knew so much of the game, there wasn't much to discover for ourselves. There's no sense of trying to discover the unknown that the game has (maybe aside from "what'll be a trophy next?")

I don't think the Dojo had much to do with that. The unlockable character line up, aside from 3rd parties, was leaked, not officially revealed before the game was out. So, most of the content exclusively revealed in the dojo were bgms, starting stages, details about items and character movesets... I don't think any of that was really spoiling anything. People just seem to mix up the leaks with the actual official dojo updates nowadays.

Hopefully the shift away from a cutscene driven thing like SSE means we're getting back nice, solid Target Practice and platform challenges, I loved those in Melee. Especially the 'Break The Targets!' mode!

The increase in characters pretty much means that making unique Break The Targets levels for everyone would be almost comparable to the effort of building adventure mode stages, which seem like a much more mainstream feature, so I don't think we'll see that returning. We'll probably have generic Break the Target stages like in Brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Classic, All Star, targets, home run... Doesn't matter the mode, I just don't want to see that requirement return.

Unfortunately for you, I do want that to returning tho.

Home Run
Break the Targets
Classic
All Stars
Adventure
Multi-Man Melee
Boss Battles
Event Matches
New mode

Example:
Beat Adventure mode with Pit would unlocking Palutena
Beat Boss Battles would unlocking a new villain character
Beat Break the Targets would unlocking Duck Hunt Dog

Devil

Give me a cheatcode or something to unlock every character right from the start. This way everybody else could go through the tedious but "exciting" process of unlocking them by themselves. Personally, I just want to jump right in, figure out which characters I like or may main and be happy for the rest of the time playing it. I don't want to play through the game modes with characters I don't like, constantly switching to the next "best of the worst" character once I unlocked one I like a little more than the one before, but ultimately will never touch that character again once I found the 2-3 I love.

It is a Fighting Game and I would like to talk about all the characters, matchups and changes right away without the fear of "spoiling" anybody. I'll look up every unlockable character anyway once they leak.

Oh and give me any character that represents the playstyle of Falco in Melee back. Unnecessarily "de-cloning" him just ended up killing that playstyle.

SuperSah

Banned
I played Smash 4 in a dream last night.

Some "info" I took was that each ver. had 35 stages.

Apparently, Wii U GamePad was a boss. Weird ass dreams, lol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think the Dojo had much to do with that. The unlockable character line up, aside from 3rd parties, was leaked, not officially revealed before the game was out. So, most of the content exclusively revealed in the dojo were bgms, starting stages, details about items and character movesets... I don't think any of that was really spoiling anything.
Yeah, I think the fact that Japan got the game first & was posting tons of info the month before we got the game played a much bigger role. I just like format better because we don't get days of "Look at the menu! Look at this character doing a final smash! Let's talk about game mechanics!" We're still shown new content, but it's still a spectacle on WHAT they'll do (for the most part). We know Ashley & Skull Kid are ATs, but no idea on what happens when they appear. With the Dojo, it would have been told to us. There's still a sense of mystery and wanting to discover something within the game (unless we later get a pic telling us).

Yeah, I think the fact that Japan got the game first & was posting tons of info the month before we got the game played a much bigger role. I just like format better because we don't get days of "Look at the menu! Look at this character doing a final smash! Let's talk about game mechanics!" We're still shown new content, but it's still a spectacle on WHAT they'll do (for the most part). We know Ashley & Skull Kid are ATs, but no idea on what happens when they appear. With the Dojo, it would have been told to us. There's still a sense of mystery and wanting to discover something within the game (unless we later get a pic telling us).

Speaking of leaks from the Japan version, has anything been said about Smash 4 being a worldwide simultaneous release like Pokemon X/Y were?

DaBoss

Just make it like Brawl in that you can unlock things in different ways without requiring one to play through different modes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just make it like Brawl in that you can unlock things in different ways without requiring one to play through different modes.
Yeah, keep the tradition of unlocking stuff via "Play ### V.S matches" for people who play tons of multiplayer with the single player unlockable requirements. It's a nice balance between multiplayer focused players & single player gamers.

Gartooth

Brawl was "let's throw so many things in!" with most being half-assed. Stage creator, online mode, classic/adventure mode, mini games (break the targets), etc. SSE probably took a lot of resources from everything else but it certainly didn't make up for it so I consider its absence a positive.

EhoaVash

no, Brawl made unlocking stuff way too easy which was part of the reason why I played it less than Melee, where I remember playing Melee day and night, 700 multiplayer matches to unlock mew Two !!!! very satisfying :3 I hate having option

Gartooth

I never want to see an E3 Direct again. Laggy ass mess forced me to wait for YouTube archive of it but many surprises were spoiled for me like Mega Man before seeing the trailer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
While not 3 hours long, dont front. There is gonna be a super bomb direct, directs. The road to e3 mania 19 is filled with ppv's my friends.

I think every direct will be a bomb either way. Either amazing things happen or GAF overheats from overhype and is left disappointed at overbloated expectations that become unrealistic and unreachable. It's going to be amazing. Can't wait.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Unfortunately for you, I do want that to returning tho.

Home Run
Break the Targets
Classic
All Stars
Adventure
Multi-Man Melee
Boss Battles
Event Matches
New mode

Example:
Beat Adventure mode with Pit would unlocking Palutena
Beat Boss Battles would unlocking a new villain character
Beat Break the Targets would unlocking Duck Hunt Dog
That's playing through each mode once. I'm talking about playing through it again and again with every single character. After a while it just becomes boring. Especially since the only thing you get is a Congratulations image that you can't even view again in an image gallery.

Also I don't get the "Unfortunately for you" comment.

The only underwhelming single-player modes for me in Brawl were Events and uh....targets, I guess.

The challenge menu was so incredible. No doubt it'll return for the next game.

Jagsrock

Banned
no, Brawl made unlocking stuff way too easy which was part of the reason why I played it less than Melee, where I remember playing Melee day and night, 700 multiplayer matches to unlock mew Two !!!! very satisfying :3 I hate having option

Melee had at least 2-3 options to unlock each character too.f or mewtwo I simply left my game in a vs match over night and came back killed player 2 and then caught mewtwo.

qq more

The only underwhelming single-player modes for me in Brawl were Events and uh....targets, I guess.

The challenge menu was so incredible. No doubt it'll return for the next game.
For me it was Classic, Event, Targets, SSE, er... yeah just about almost every mode. Bosses were cool even though Tabuu sucks

Thought challenges was pretty decent although weren't a lot of it just "do this and that X number of times" or am I remembering it wrong?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's playing through each mode once. I'm talking about playing through it again and again with every single character. After a while it just becomes boring. Especially since the only thing you get is a Congratulations image that you can't even view again in an image gallery.

Also I don't get the "Unfortunately for you" comment.

Well, as I highlighted that Pit would only unlocking Palutena, but of course I would support the ideas that we would play the same mode repeatedly if there are other newcomers to unlocked with other characters.

Unfortunately comment meant that I disagree with you there, and hoping that it would be back. Perhaps I might use wrong term there. I apologized for that.

EhoaVash

Melee had at least 2-3 options to unlock each character too.f or mewtwo I simply left my game in a vs match over night and came back killed player 2 and then caught mewtwo.

i read about that in some cheat code game book once back then, I used to think that it was false cause the same book also had the stupid SONIC IS IN melee so I never bothered also i thought that if I left it on for that long it, GC might overheat or break or something lol

Thought challenges was pretty decent although weren't a lot of it just "do this and that X number of times" or am I remembering it wrong?

Pretty much. It generally involved stuff like using characters multiple amounts of times, completing certain modes under certain difficulties/conditions, and whatnot.

Most of it involved the single-player modes, so your enjoyment of it would depended on your tolerance levels for those. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed most of them (Yes, even the SSE), so I loved it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I must be the only one who absolutely hates the target smash and other mini-games

Yeah, there are some people disliking those modes, but people always considered those complaints as unpopular opinions tho.

I understand where some people came from, and I don't really blame them for that.

I don't particularly care for them myself. Sandbag Derby can go away though.

I remember those day that I was addicted to that mode, and I kept wanting to break my own records every single times.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Some of the failings of Brawl was they tried to be clever but it resulted in a monotonous experience. Take for example the order you challenge opponents in All Star mode; it is based on the date of their first appearance. Unfortunately it means every time you play it the order is the same.

Classic mode was a bit better but it still more rigid than I would have liked.

Basically if they can mix things up a bit every time you play it I wouldn't mind replaying the modes again and again. But if I can basically predict the order before I even start then it will be b.o.r.i.n.g.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The mini-games were nice diversions, though I hated doing Sandbag Derby with certain characters like Captain Falcon who had awkward Homerun Bat animations.

Ricky 7

On the topic of dreams, I recently dreamt that Shulk was announced in the next Nintendo Direct. Fingers crossed. (・ω・)

I've gone into every Smash knowing the full roster, I don't really care much for character and stage unlocking. Even if I hadn't known before hand I still think it would be better to not have unlocking of key content--I mean, sure, the surprise is nice, but that will only happen once and fighting games are supposed to provide many hundreds of hours of playtime. In the grand scheme of things, how long was the character unlock period for any of the previous Smash games, like, 1% of the total playtime?

Ryce

I just ordered Kid Icarus: Uprising. Hopefully I like it, and hopefully it makes me want to see some Kid Icarus newcomers in Smash Bros.

no items, Meta Knight only, Smashville hype
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Ryce

Wait? I thought you already beat the game!
I've been trying to decide since Christmas whether or not I should get it, but now that I've finished A Link Between Worlds and Pokémon X I need a new game to play. I'm still not sold on the controls, but Sakurai's never let me down before. We'll see.

Top Bottom