• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Edited: Sorry for double posts.

I think for this game whenever the release date is announced I'm going to tread lightly around the internet. I don't want to be spoiled about everything in the game like Brawl. I want to feel surprised when I was a kid to unlock Mewtwo and Falco and "WTF" when I unlocked Game & Watch.

I'm considering to do same thing, and I'm more likely to not including secret characters in Official Smash OT until OT2 or reaching to specific date.

Gartooth

Edited: Sorry for double posts.

I'm considering to do same thing, and I'm more likely to not including secret characters in Official Smash OT until OT2 or reaching to specific date.

Really hoping for international release for Smash 4, because I think many (myself included) got weak and spoiled themselves the roster after Brawl released in Japan.

qq more

What they could do is sync both games so they can instantly unlock whichever characters they've already unlocked in another version.

Really hoping for international release for Smash 4, because I think many (myself included) got weak and spoiled themselves the roster after Brawl released in Japan.

Same here, it was horrible being in Europe. Japan got the game in Jan '08, I had to wait until July. I remember waking up and seeing Marth confirmed via SSE and then the unlocks followed.

Village

I remembered a lot of complaints about Brawl's, but I know many people love Melee's methods of unlocking. I guess people were burned out by SSE, so they probably don't want to go through that again if they lost the saves.

I have heard the exact opposite, from what I understand, and agree with, melee unlocking was rather poo.

Melee

" hey wanna unlock erry body"

" yes"

" do unnecessary challenges"

" what if i just wanna play the video game "

" well you can do that too, but you have to play it over and over and over and over again"

" Thats pretty dumb."
Brawl

" hey I wanna unlock errybody "

" you could do it the same way in melee with repetition, oooooor.... you could play this story mode and unlock people way faster like a normal fighting game."

" oh that is way easier"

"yes it is "

I have never really gotten this whole " wonder " thing in these types of situations, just give me all the characters at the beginning of the fighting game. I hope it jumps on that fighting game trend.

Brawl offers more variety in how to unlock characters but there was no real challenge or sense of accomplishment once you had them it was just like "Okay, cool now I just unlocked Ness and Falco." With Melee when you unlocked Mewtwo or G&W you were like "HOLYSHIT, I just unlocked Mewtwo and this random 2D character."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have heard the exact opposite, from what I understand, and agree with, melee unlocking was rather poo.

I have never really gotten this whole " wonder " thing in these types of situations, just give me all the characters at the beginning of the fighting game. I hope it jumps on that fighting game trend.

I guess it's depend on the community itself, since different communities have different tastes.

It's possible since Sakurai is working with Namco Bandai, and they could influence Sakurai's opinions if it ever happens.

qq more

Brawl offers more variety in how to unlock characters but there was no real challenge or sense of accomplishment once you had them it was just like "Okay, cool now I just unlocked Ness and Falco." With Melee when you unlocked Mewtwo or G&W you were like "HOLYSHIT, I just unlocked Mewtwo and this random 2D character."

Worst part is that more than a good half of the unlockables in Brawl were veterans. So it's like "oh I've unlocked Captain Falcon... again... woo...". There were only 6 newcomers that were unlockable, 2 were 3rd party and shown on the back of the box and one was basically a replacement of Young Link.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can understand wanting the ease of unlocking everyone to be simpler & quicker so everyone's available & people can choose who they like to play as for parties, tournaments, & such, but I have to agree I like unlocking stuff because it gives me motivation to keep playing the game (I dug the challenge chart in Brawl, hoping that returns) and it feels rewarding to unlock....well, rewards.

Worst part is that more than a good half of the unlockables in Brawl were veterans. So it's like "oh I've unlocked Captain Falcon... again... woo...". There were only 6 newcomers that were unlockable, 2 were 3rd party and shown on the back of the box and one was basically a replacement of Young Link.
Yeah, looking back, Melee had 11 unlockable players, 2 of which where veterans, compared to Brawl's 14 unlockables, but 8 were from the previous game, not to mention some were repeat unlocks (Marth, Luigi, Falco, Jigglypuff, etc.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pretty sure I read up on the unlockable characters for Melee since we had to wait for the GameCube release. Still the name Mr Game & Watch didn't really tell me much so when I finally saw him it was still a surprise. I first thought he was going to be an animated G&W system.

Village

I guess it's depend on the community itself, since different communities have different tastes.

It's possible since Sakurai is working with Namco Bandai, and they could influence Sakurai's opinions if it ever happens.

He realized the concept of unlocking people in a fighting game that isn't a boss in inherently flawed, oh goodness I hope so .

Give all my options from the beginning so I know who i am and am not playing as, all that work seems kinda pointless when you are unlocking characters you don't particularly care for. Luckly this is smash bros, and I am generally fine with most of the roster, i'm not plying with most of the roster though.

I wasn't really. I felt no differently unlocking characters, brawl was just more convenient. I have never found the need to unlock more characters in fighting games, unless its like a boss. Anyway to get me to full roster faster, the better.

Berordn

They're kind of stuck in a strange trap. If they don't show off the newcomers, it doesn't look like a new game. If they do show off the newcomers, then there's no secrets left to be unlocked which is a series tradition and where most of the single player content comes from.

They could cut unlockable characters entirely, or not keep the roster a secret this time around, but either way somebody loses.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They'll do a Mario Kart 7 and make the starting roster the same as the original and everyone else is locked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the moment, considering Snake & Sonic had to be unlocked, I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Man (& his stage) had to be unlocked. Though the question is, how.

They're kind of stuck in a strange trap. If they don't show off the newcomers, it doesn't look like a new game. If they do show off the newcomers, then there's no secrets left to be unlocked which is a series tradition and where most of the single player content comes from.

They could cut unlockable characters entirely, or not keep the roster a secret this time around, but either way somebody loses.
Yeah, I recall Brawl tried to show off newcomers, but made some of them a secret to discover (R.O.B, Wolf), though it didn't really work out due to Japan getting the game first & the secrets being posted online, meaning US fans pretty much already knew how to get them at launch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For whatever reason I never followed Melee's community online, pre or post launch. So not only was the roster huge over Smash 64, it was full of surprises on my end. I had no idea who was in the game beyond the box art and early trailers/screenshots.

Brawl, on the other hand, I knew the full roster of as soon as it was available. And so a lot of that magic was gone. That's likely going to happen again with Smash 4.

I'm in two minds about it. On one hand it's a fighting game, so arbitrarily locking off characters is a pain in the arse when all you want to do is beat up your buddies and enjoy multiplayer. On the other hand I'm a sucker for unlocking stuff, and Smash's "A CHALLENGER APPEARS" is iconic enough for me to want it to return.

Unlocking characters was easier in Brawl, but despite the larger production Subspace Emissary was nothing but a monotonous grind for me. So despite being easier I probably enjoyed actually playing Melee to unlock stuff more. Snappier challenges.

Village

They're kind of stuck in a strange trap. If they don't show off the newcomers, it doesn't look like a new game. If they do show off the newcomers, then there's nothing left to be unlocked which is a series tradition and where most of the single player content comes from.

They could break tradition.

I can understand wanting the ease of unlocking everyone to be simpler & quicker so everyone's available & people can choose who they like to play as for parties, tournaments, & such, but I have to agree I like unlocking stuff because it gives me motivation to keep playing the game (I dug the challenge chart in Brawl, hoping that returns) and it feels rewarding to unlock....well, rewards.

I like unlocking stuff, like costumes or trophies , stages or in other games art and stuff. I just never liked unlocking characters in a fighting game, other types of game, especially more narrative focused ones, sure.

But at the end of the day, i keep playing smash way after i have unlocked everything. To this day, because I like smash. Smash is what keeps me there, I would like more things with my smash ( like some type of campaign).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For whatever reason I never followed Melee's community online, pre or post launch. So not only was the roster huge over Smash 64, it was full of surprises on my end. I had no idea who was in the game beyond the box art and early trailers/screenshots.

Brawl, on the other hand, I knew the full roster of as soon as it was available. And so a lot of that magic was gone. That's likely going to happen again with Smash 4.

I'm in two minds about it. On one hand it's a fighting game, so arbitrarily locking off characters is a pain in the arse when all you want to do is beat up your buddies and enjoy multiplayer. On the other hand I'm a sucker for unlocking stuff, and Smash's "A CHALLENGER APPEARS" is iconic enough for me to want it to return.

Unlocking characters was easier in Brawl, but despite the larger production Subspace Emissary was nothing but a monotonous grind for me. So despite being easier I probably enjoyed actually playing Melee to unlock stuff more. Snappier challenges.

I enjoyed Adventure Mode to Subspace as well. While the cutscenes in Subspace were kind of cool, the game felt too much like a poor-man's Kirby game. Adventure Mode is more grindy, but I liked the variety of challenges and stage goals, and even the proper 'levels' (Peach's Castle, Bottom of the Well, Mute City, etc.) felt more inspired and fun to me than Brawl's type stages. It was cool having stages designed after the games they came from, and I think the sort of thing is tackled best in short chunks per character with more zany qualities and variety than some hours-long epic.

qq more

I am in agreement. Honestly unlocking stuff and doing single player stuff is a HUGE deal for me in Smash Bros. It's one of the reasons why I'm having more fun with Melee than Brawl now. I hope Smash 4 makes single player fun again...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well all I had read were a list of names and the criteria to unlock them. So names like Marth and Four Side meant nothing to me until I saw them in game.

Of course since I am far more knowledgeable about Nintendo now there is likely not to be a name I won't recognise. That and I have the web (I did have it but it was slow and I was only allowed on on weekends), back then magazines were still my primary source for in formation

-Horizon-

I actually liked some of the boss fights in SubEm but playing through it was kind of boring.
I'd rather we just have the standard "play as peach 20 times to unlock superior rosalina".
Unless of course they change it up a lot and somehow make a turn based single player rpg lol.

I gotta feeling we'd get Hades over Palentina also because he's a baddie and we ain't got a new one yet.

...nah

Hades can be a stage hazard

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

I think I feel the same way. I understand from a multiplayer standpoint, people want faster/easier methods to unlock characters so they can have everyone quicker & therefore have more fun. But considering how often I do single player, I like the challenge and therefore feels more rewarding to me when I unlock them, especially as a kid when I was trying to unlock Mewtwo & then Mr. Game & Watch, because I wanted to see them for myself back when I really didn't know about the internet's power

& the whole "knowing the roster" deal kind of started with Dojo. Yeah, it was cool getting all those updates, but on the other hand, we knew so much of the game, there wasn't much to discover for ourselves. There's no sense of trying to discover the unknown that the game has (maybe aside from "what'll be a trophy next?")

I like unlocking stuff, like costumes or trophies , stages or in other games art and stuff. I just never liked unlocking characters in a fighting game, other types of game, especially more narrative focused ones, sure.

But at the end of the day, i keep playing smash way after i have unlocked everything. To this day, because I like smash. Smash is what keeps me there, I would like more things with my smash ( like some type of campaign).
I totally understand, & that was why I liked how Brawl expanded to unlocking stickers & music in addition to stages & trophies, along with that challenge chart. I was driven by filling that chart out & seeing what music I could unlock and such.

Village

I enjoyed Adventure Mode to Subspace as well. While the cutscenes in Subspace were kind of cool, the game felt too much like a poor-man's Kirby game. Adventure Mode is more grindy, but I liked the variety of challenges and stage goals, and even the proper 'levels' (Peach's Castle, Bottom of the Well, Mute City, etc.) felt more inspired and fun to me than Brawl's type stages. It was cool having stages designed after the games they came from, and I think the sort of thing is tackled best in short chunks per character with more zany qualities and variety than some hours-long epic.

I personally never really liked adventure mode, it was just.. stuff to do . Brawl came arund and was like

" hey kirby with other characters and they hang out and stuff "

I am ok with all of this

I do however agree that brawl being on one planet was.. dumb. I would like a campaign that took place on multiple worlds, kind of like a kingdom hearts situation. Each section of story started on each respective world/spaceship/ect, and their worlds collide as the storie goes on. People find them selves on different worlds and stuff like that. Also letting the characters who can talk, talk. Its something I always found funny in the paper mario games, also make everyone sassy like in super paper mario . Peach had all the sass.

qq more

I'd rather we just have the standard "play as peach 20 times to unlock superior rosalina".
I'm not a fan of the whole "do this X of times to unlock Y", I like it when the challenges are more unique like getting a certain distance in the homerun contest or break all the targets as everyone.

J-Tier

Some of the recognizable boss fights in SE were epic.

The first time.

I do think some kind of boss mode would be nice, but without all the SE bullcrap.

DaBoss

This is how I feel.

This is what I think is going on.
Some of the recognizable boss fights in SE were epic.

The first time.

I do think some kind of boss mode would be nice, but without all the SE bullcrap.
There is a Boss Fight mode in Brawl.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If they can somehow combine Adventure Mode taking place in actual Nintendo locations with their respective enemies with a (shorter) SSB, I would be happy.

....& have more bosses based on actual Nintendo characters again. COOL, fightin' Porky from Mother!.....now I'm fighting these weird things....SWEET RIDLEY WHO ELSE WILL I SEEEeeehhhhhh more of these weird robots....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've said it before but I really hope something significant isn't locked behind beating classic mode with all characters. It was alight in Melee, but Brawl was the point when it just became a monotonous grind. It will be even worse with even more characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I definitely agreed with the statement, and I really hope that method is coming back for Smash 4.

DaBoss

I didn't care who I unlocked, I cared about unlocking, and Brawl's SSE ruined the fun.

Though I hope when they do the New Challenger Approaching thing for newcomers, they put the CGI scene right after it with the whole "joins the fight" thing at the end of it and then start the battle.
I've said it before but I really hope something significant isn't locked behind beating classic mode with all characters. It was alight in Melee, but Brawl was the point when it just became a monotonous grind. It will be even worse with even more characters.
Forget Classic, All-Stars mode is even worse. Though I don't think there is anything unlocked by doing that.

Hopefully the shift away from a cutscene driven thing like SSE means we're getting back nice, solid Target Practice and platform challenges, I loved those in Melee. Especially the 'Break The Targets!' mode!

-Horizon-

I'm not a fan of the whole "do this X of times to unlock Y", I like it when the challenges are more unique like getting a certain distance in the homerun contest or break all the targets as everyone.

This just reminds me how much I hated playing the target breaking game in Brawl to get those achievements.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This just reminds me how much I hated playing the target breaking game in Brawl to get those achievements.

Break the Targets mode is so shitty in Brawl. I really hope that they would bring Melee's Break the Targets style back since it really help you to learn the characters better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looking at Brawl, it wasn't too bad. Sonic was unlocked for beating it with 10 characters & you could combine that with unlocking others (Marth for beating it once, Ganondorf for beating it with Link or Zelda on Hard, Captain Falcon for beating it in under 12 minutes, Luigi for not continuing), and most of the stuff was trophies & music.

Ugh, Brawl's was so lame. I wish everyone got their unique levels back :(
As nice as this would be, I would be surprised considering how there's going to be even more characters this time around.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's obviously going to be
Lightning

That's already in the game.

130px-Lightning_-_Brawl_Trophy.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I didn't care who I unlocked, I cared about unlocking, and Brawl's SSE ruined the fun.

Though I hope when they do the New Challenger Approaching thing for newcomers, they put the CGI scene right after it with the whole "joins the fight" thing at the end of it and then start the battle.

Forget Classic, All-Stars mode is even worse. Though I don't think there is anything unlocked by doing that.
Classic, All Star, targets, home run... Doesn't matter the mode, I just don't want to see that requirement return.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ya know, I totally forgot about the fact there was a couple of Assist Trophies that had to be unlocked, aside from Shadow & Grey Fox. Granted, there was only 6, but I wonder if that'll happen again....which it might, now that I think about it, considering we might get a Mega Man character as an AT.

Berordn

Something I'd actually like to see in the game is the final level of SSE fleshed out into a full mode. Pick a character, pick a starting point, and then run around a big open ended maze with no story and a lot of Nintendo universes colliding. Roam around, fight bosses, unlock stages and characters, and then end with a battle against Master Hand or something.

They just have to do something about translating the gameplay well. Give the characters an actual stamina meter in it or something so the gameplay isn't as awful as it was in SSE.

Top Bottom