• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

They did say that the target was a spring release though, which seems to confirm what the NoE dude let slip a few weeks back.

It's not that I don't believe you, but this tripped me up since I think it'll be much later than that (didn't Sakurai make a twitter comment on how he'd try his hardest to make them come out in 2014 or w/e?).

In any case, I am jealous of your friend.

leroidys

Removing Lucario for lack of relevancy but putting Genesect in?

NFHV9K4.gif

lol my first thought too. Master hanafuda is clever though, but I wouldn't want it to be more than a boss or stage hazard.

It's not that I don't believe you, but this tripped me up since I think it'll be much later than that (didn't Sakurai make a twitter comment on how he'd try his hardest to make them come out in 2014 or w/e?).

In any case, I am jealous of your friend.

Yeah. I hesitated to post this part because I don't actually think it will actually make spring, but decided to just post everything I was told more or less verbatim rather than try to edit it so I could look "more credible". This only confirmed (in my mind) that it was at least an internal goal recently, if not currently. The person is not working on the game, so it's not like they would know every release projection update as part of their job.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's ripped from a thread I saw on /v/ where the guy is doing a "AMA"-type thing.

He explained that Lucario's role in XY wasn't known when the team was planning characters, while Genesect and Mewtwo were "in" and popular due to the film. He also says only Mewtwo Y is included as X wasn't revealed till far later.

That makes sense, honestly. It seems they more or less had the roster set mostly during the E3 showing, and we hadn't learned about Mega Pokemon yet. Genesect and Mewtwo were still fresh.

/v/ rumor said:
Like I said before, the roster was being worked on mainly last year, and the team was not aware of exactly how big a role Lucario would play in XY. I do not believe they knew he had a Mega either, or really understood the concept.

As far as I know, only Mega Y Mewtwo will be appearing due to similar reasons as Mewtwo's Final Smash, it being revealed before Mega X Mewtwo was, and at the time the team more or less assumed it was a special case. Mega Charizard isn't playable either.

XY's inclusion will be limited to a few PokeBall Pokemon otherwise.

Brawl's Gen IV was limited to mainly pre-release Pokemon bar a few exceptions, and Lucario probably got in due to Movie 8. I don't think we'll see a lot of XY stuff beyond like the Legendaries.

leroidys

That's ripped from a thread I saw on /v/ where the guy is doing a "AMA"-type thing.

He explained that Lucario's role in XY wasn't known when the team was planning characters, while Genesect and Mewtwo were "in" and popular due to the film. He also says only Mewtwo Y is included as X wasn't revealed till far later.

That makes sense, honestly. It seems they more or less had the roster set mostly during the E3 showing, and we hadn't learned about Mega Pokemon yet. Genesect and Mewtwo were still fresh.

Genesect is so relevant that you still can't get one.

SmithnCo

But Sakurai has said that GameFreak guides him by telling him which Pokemon they want in. They probably would've shared what they had planned for X/Y.

Ryce

"Master Hanafunda" is the ultimate "fake leaker's attempt at a G&W/R.O.B.-esque character," except it doesn't make any sense.

LOL at Lucario lacking relevancy. He was pushed heavily in the promotion for B/W 2, and even replaced the very Pokemon that replaced him on that crazy Pokemon Sunday show (Zoroark...). That leaker is full of crap.

Tyeforce

I don't believe that rumor at all, lol, but a Hanafuda character would be interesting. Around the time of Brawl, I came across someone's suggestion for a character called "Rainman," which is a character from Hanafuda cards. The person who suggested this imagined a move set for him based on the various special Hanafuda cards, and I thought it was really clever and could totally see Nintendo doing something like that. The only odd thing about it, though, is the fact that Nintendo doesn't own Hanafuda, they just manufactured Hanafuda cards. So I don't know if there would be issues there or not.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't believe that rumor at all, lol, but a Hanafuda character would be interesting. Around the time of Brawl, I came across someone's suggestion for a character called "Rainman," which is a character from Hanafuda cards. The person who suggested this imagined a move set for him based on the various special Hanafuda cards, and I thought it was really clever and could totally see Nintendo doing something like that. The only odd thing about it, though, is the fact that Nintendo doesn't own Hanafuda, they just manufactured Hanafuda cards. So I don't know if there would be issues there or not.

Hanafuda's an ancient card game, right? I don't think there'd be any legal issues.

leroidys

Another note on the Spring release date speculation (I'm operating under the assumption that it will be delayed past this, but they do have a LOT of manpower on this title so who knows) - the person said that Wii U was failing because they had "only been able to release 5% of the software they had planned for it". Obviously this is hyperbole, but it makes me pretty interested in how many projects are going on or were cancelled that we haven't seen yet. Or it could be something even more drastic. Maybe, for example, a project to facilitate porting 3DS software to Wii U (Iwata has commented on the desire to combine software development for disparate platforms) has stalled.

In any event, it seems that the software production problems we've heard about are only the tip of the iceberg. Almost makes SCEJ look like EA.

RomanceDawn

So I have some legitimate
(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced newcomers rather than 5 or 6.

I was completely stonewalled trying to get any information or specifics. I did find out something interesting though, that they were never allowed to play as Kirby, as that would spoil/reveal something.

Non news or not this is great! I believe despite there being nothing to really believe in. We'll be watching you…

Oh and that other leak claiming Lucario isn't relevant? Ha! Black 2 White 2 and X and Y pushed him heavily. He's still as much a mascot as he's ever been.

Tyeforce

Hanafuda's an ancient card game, right? I don't think there'd be any legal issues.
Well, I don't necessarily mean legal issues, but technicalities and such. Like, would Sakurai even consider it since it's not a Nintendo created character, and not even a video game character? It would be fitting, though, given Nintendo's history.

Masked Man

I said wow
Yeah. I hesitated to post this part because I don't actually think it will actually make spring, but decided to just post everything I was told more or less verbatim rather than try to edit it so I could look "more credible". This only confirmed (in my mind) that it was at least an internal goal recently, if not currently. The person is not working on the game, so it's not like they would know every release projection update as part of their job.

If that's an internal goal, then my guess is that the dev team will be doing everything in their power to meet said deadline. None of those are ever set in stone, and I know that our company's projected dates are notoriously unreliable, but I would venture to say that Nintendo is going to be pushing them to get Smash out ASAP in the hopes that it will boost Wii U sales.

Village

here is the biggest tell about that leaker.

he said genecet was already in

When the hell did sakurai start putting anyone in with out consulting some one first, ESPICALLY pokemon?

?oe?oe

Well, I don't necessarily mean legal issues, but technicalities and such. Like, would Sakurai even consider it since it's not a Nintendo created character, and not even a video game character? It would be fitting, though, given Nintendo's history.
We could go with Yamuachi. One of his moves could be driving a taxi and his final smash would be luring opponents into a love hotel. Gotta get more of Nintendo's history in there!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
(non)
news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced newcomers rather than 5 or 6.

That's interesting. If they implied few characters, so that might solid Mii, Little Mac and Pac Man but who know. I'm still skeptic about rumors tho.

Another note on the Spring release date speculation (I'm operating under the assumption that it will be delayed past this, but they do have a LOT of manpower on this title so who knows) - the person said that Wii U was failing because they had "only been able to release 5% of the software they had planned for it". Obviously this is hyperbole, but it makes me pretty interested in how many projects are going on or were cancelled that we haven't seen yet. Or it could be something even more drastic. Maybe, for example, a project to facilitate porting 3DS software to Wii U (Iwata has commented on the desire to combine software development for disparate platforms) has stalled.

In any event, it seems that the software production problems we've heard about are only the tip of the iceberg. Almost makes SCEJ look like EA.

I'm pretty sure that the game probably got delayed, and that would make sense why Sakurai mentioned Smash 4 in his resolution. 5% sound pretty bad, but I can't blame them for that since they are entering into pretty tough patch with Wii U and all that. Hopefully that they would learn everything from this bad experience, and get better for next generation.

Thanks, Leroidys

Dammit, now I'm hungry for new information. Come on, Nintendo Direct.

Thanks, leroidys.

Same here. I'm very hungry.

Jan 21 - SMASH DIRECT! BELIEVE!

leroidys

Speaking of oldschool nintendo history, I hope that Sherrif is represented somehow, as either a stage hazard or AT.

sdOCMKz.jpg

fwt9oJl.png

fTElSmd.png

Nintendo were making sprites that were charming as fuck way back in 1979. If you told me that they designed Sherrif on Monday, Kirby on Tuesday, and Olimar on Wednesday, I would almost believe you. That's 35 years of (almost always having) extremely tight design continuity without dropping a beat. I love it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speaking of oldschool nintendo history, I hope that Sherrif is represented somehow, as either a stage hazard or AT.

Nintendo were making sprites that were charming as fuck way back in 1979. If you told me that they designed Sherrif on Monday, Kirby on Tuesday, and Olimar on Wednesday, I would almost believe you. That's 35 years of (almost always having) extremely tight design continuity without dropping a beat. I love it.

I'm not sure if it's possible, since Sakurai said that he don't want to add real life weapons to the smash. (Mainly guns.) That's why Snake didn't have knife, guns and few realistic weapons, but explosive weapons are okay tho.

Ryce

I'm not sure if it's possible, since Sakurai said that he don't want to add real life weapons to the smash. (Mainly guns.) That's why Snake didn't have knife, guns and few realistic weapons, but explosive weapons are okay tho.
Yeah, and unlike Snake, you can't have Sheriff without his revolver. A colorful toy gun wouldn't look right.

Flowmoney

New rumor for the tumblr

Newcomers are Villager, WFT, Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Medusa, Mewtwo, Genesect, Mach Rider, Chrom, and a new original character named "Master Hanafuda". Little Mac will be the next newcomer to be revealed, but I am not sure when, but in a soon-to-be Nintendo Direct.

I would actually be happy with that roster.Which is why I know it is fake.

I would main Mach Rider and never pick anyone else , unless he is someone completely awful to play as.

To be honest, I never thought it looked *that* weird having Radec or Sweet Tooth use realistic snipers shotguns in PSASBR alongside more kid-friendly characters like Fat P. or Parappa.

I'm assuming not everybody feels that way though, and obviously Sakurai doesn't..

EDIT: They could always have an AGES-like character in Smash who shuffles through different 8-bit characters for every move, with one of them being the original Sheriff sprite. Guess the main problem is locking down how you'd even properly describe that entity, since even Mr. Game & Watch was still for the most part a single character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
To be honest, I never thought it looked *that* weird having Radec or Sweet Tooth use realistic snipers shotguns in PSASBR alongside more kid-friendly characters like Fat P. or Parappa.

II'm assuming not everybody feels that way though, and obviously Sakurai doesn't..

I'm not sure if it is because it look weird. I think it is more of Nintendo's Kid-Friendly policy. I can't even remember when last time that they had guns in Nintendo game, other than Wonderful 101.

Flowmoney

How come people want Palutena? She never fights at all , unless you include Shaft studio's video with monster vegetables...

I wouldn't accept her without the Shaft studio's headtilt as a taunt.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
How come people want Palutena? She never fights at all , unless you include Shaft studio's video with monster vegetables...

I wouldn't accept her without the Shaft studio's headtilt as a taunt.

Did you play Kid Icarus: Uprising? You would have to fight against her in one of those chapter. Technically.

(non)

I was completely stonewalled trying to get any information or specifics. I did find out something interesting though, that they were never allowed to play as Kirby, as that would spoil/reveal something.
Last part is kind of confusing. Was your friend hinting that he knew of a couple new characters that weren't shown off at E3 exclusively, or was he referring to the roster as a whole? If its just E3 I can imagine Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man being the characters shelved for a later date; just hoping what I'm reading into your words isn't what I think it means.

Top Bottom