• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

KaiPow

Banned
Got my art book copy at GS, just waiting until I get off to play it.

I would have given BBY my money with a 30% discount (gamers club epic 20% discount and 10% off ps4 game/accessory coupons) but they won't sell it until the 4th here.

ethomaz

Banned
From a friend in another forum (thanks CGI).

PC is always the first picture. For me PS4 looks sharper and have more details.

858090_10202903673175684_427165856_o.jpg

1487964_10202903668575569_1605654619_o.jpg

1553360_10202904780203359_226387501_o.jpg

1512241_10202904698961328_1516262241_o.jpg

1523141_10202904932807174_135801518_o.jpg

1518101_10202904930927127_1808319360_o.jpg

1602098_10202903609374089_465930511_o.jpg

1501620_10202903577373289_1047702004_o.jpg

His thoughts

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does look better! I can max /run the original at 120fps+ on PC, but that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics/behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is.

So yes, carry on now.

TyrantII

Looks like they accidentally stretched the texture on that tree in the DE. But then DE has some better texture work later on that ground.

low-G

I don't know why PC gamers thought the textures, of all things, would be downgraded on a system with more RAM available for textures than their computers.

TyrantII

I don't think the blacks are crushed... well I don't know... seems like they changed the lighting... the draw distance seems better on PC.

JPG is a lossy format. It's gonna have issues either way.

EDIT: Add in facebook, and yeah. Tell friend to use PNG for best comparisons.

Sanke__

Maybe it will get old but im really enjoying the lightbar stuff on ps4

Especially the muzzle flash when you fire a gun

PS4 version has voice controls, and it looks pretty damn good, and oh the light bar is a nice touch. If you have a 7.1 system this game gives it a pretty good workout, love the atmospherics.

PS4 version is really great. Occasional stutters but nothing crazy. I haven't played the game at all so this is a nice treat for me. I was conflicted cause of the price tag but I'm glad I got it. Multiplayer is a hot mess though.

TyrantII

I don't know if new Lara is more detailed or looks better or not. But new Lara is clearly incapable of expressing any appropriate emotion.

Watching a feed now, and the face looks much better in motion than stills... but...

There something really off with the animations. Like the eyes and mouth are animated, but not the cheeks, nose or forehead. The facial animations on the last gen consoles were better.

Wonder if its a bug, or they just didn't get around to animating it right.

Face Model +
Face Animation -

flying dutchman

Neo Member
The latest lot of screens deff show a jump in graphics over PC. Nice work CD. Its pretty much a launch title to boot, so the future looks pretty good for PS4. We have gone from "PS4 cant do TR in 1080P @60", to "no way it will match PC visually", to now "PS4 laras face doesnt show as much emotion as PC lara".
Still would love to see some xb1 screens. If it can pull of the same jump in graphics over PC as PS4 does, then maybe its not all doom and gloom. However if it does, there may well be mass suicides from PC only gamers.

Chucker

Picked it up from Gamestop, tried telling me it was streetdated, then told me that the Artbook ones were streetdated. Anyway, I might be streaming it soon for kicks if there is interest..

slapnuts

thanks bud....lots of the PC vs PS4 comparison at your post...exactly what i was looking for. I gotta say it again...i am very impressed with the PS4 version coming out so nice with these extra graphic effects and still holding that 1080p and 60frames

Vire

Is there an option to turn off the silly camera bob in this version? One of the few games that made my stomach turn.

slapnuts

You aren't serious right?

Dude..give credit where credit is due. I am more of a PC gamer myself and have a pretty damn powerful PC but im not going to get my feathers all ruffled up because the PS4 is starting to hang performance wise to decent gaming PC's. I personally have both a PS4 and gaming PC and im absolutely THRILLED to see the PS4 perform better than most gaming PC's out there. Besides PC will benefit from these new consoles...be grateful

Note: Not everybody has a uber high end gaming PC. In fact they are few that are running stuff high end out there.

Beck

Here are a couple of comparisons of my own. (PC on top)

There's more here, along with my review. I have a couple more but they're either not worth posting or I was a second off so the camera is in a different place. I also wish I got past the Coastal Forest on PC, then I'd have a lot more shots.

TyrantII

Dude..give credit where credit is due. I am more of a PC gamer myself and have a pretty damn powerful PC but im not going to get my feathers all ruffled up because the PS4 is starting to hang performance wise to decent gaming PC's. I personally have both a PS4 and gaming PC and im absolutely THRILLED to see the PS4 perform better than most gaming PC's out there. Besides PC will benefit from these new consoles...be grateful

Note: Not everybody has a uber high end gaming PC. In fact they are few that are running stuff high end out there.

The guy should be thankful. Nixxes (PS4 port) did a talk about Mantel and how their work on consoles is helping to drive their work and processes on Mantel (being similar).

SRTtoZ

Do we have confirmation if Gamestop is selling this now? I got an email earlier from Powerup saying its available and on Gamestops website it says available now, not a preorder.

Do we have confirmation if Gamestop is selling this now? I got an email earlier from Powerup saying its available and on Gamestops website it says available now, not a preorder.

10 pages of people talking about picking it up at Gamestop today, plus you got an email saying it's available and the website says it's available. Really?

Ryaaan14

Banned

There's more here, along with my review. I have a couple more but they're either not worth posting or I was a second off so the camera is in a different place. I also wish I got past the Coastal Forest on PC, then I'd have a lot more shots.

For fun I just did a blind test with my girlfriend and she picked both of the PC screenshots.

SRTtoZ

10 pages of people talking about picking it up at Gamestop today, plus you got an email saying it's available and the website says it's available. Really?

Yes really. No need to be an ass. I didnt read the entire thread and asked a question. Problem? You act as if its the first time a website said something was available and the store didnt want to break streetdate.

TyrantII

FlameO2.jpg

FlameO.jpg

Uhoh. Better lighting AND more TreesFX.

PC GAF gonna be salty.

These are dark too. Not facebook this time right? Getting worried. I'm not buying this game if the blacks are crushed.

Top Bottom