• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

I'll admit when I first saw the old Lara in the game, I was a little surprised because it looked so different from the original CG design, character designs, AND the cut scenes.

But was so well done, voice acting was great, and the animation was superb. It grew on me.

Ironically, the newer model looks more like the original designs yet it's looking odd.

I guess it needs to grow on me again!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll admit when I first saw the old Lara in the game, I was a little surprised because it looked so different from the original CG design, character designs, AND the cut scenes.

But was so well done, voice acting was great, and the animation was superb. It grew on me.

Ironically, the newer model looks more like the original designs yet it's looking odd.

I guess it needs to grow on me again!
Yeah I think thats what it is.

sphinx

the piano man
a friend told me this game was a bit like metroid in the sense that you needed to get equipment to progress through the world, which has substantial backtracking.

is he right or did he lie?

Purexed

Banned
Ugh, so my surround sound volume keeps inadvertently pausing the game with voice commands on. Time to turn those suckers off.

Great port though!

a friend told me this game was a bit like metroid in the sense that you needed to get equipment to progress through the world, which has substantial backtracking.

Yes but not quite as well done as say something like Metroid or Batman AA.

Installing now. At 60%. The counter showed up after having chosen normal difficulty setting on PS4.

Can't wait to play. Comparing old and new faces of Lara in screenshots seems a bit strange. I'll make up my mind after seeing the game in action.

74%

UnrealEck

Installing now. At 60%. The counter showed up after having chosen normal difficulty setting on PS4.

Can't wait to play. Comparing old and new faces of Lara in screenshots seems a bit strange. I'll make up my mind after seeing the game in action.

74%

Let us know when you're at 80%

R3TRODYCE

Did they redo the MP graphics for next gen? I played a couple rounds on PS4 then I hopped on the campaign and it was like the campaign was next gen and the MP was last gen.

There really no needed for backtracking unlike metroid. Its linear so you will have equipment to move ahead at the right time.

cameron

It's true that some areas are blocked and you need ability/equipment upgrades to proceed. Backtracking is minimal though, since the areas and upgrades are laid out and occur in a way that's linear. It's never tedious. There's also fast travel.

DieH@rd

Banned

There not a lot of backtracking, but when you retur to old areas, you are using new paths, and those areas are showcased in a different way [different TOD, changes in the environment]. They did a good job there.

TGO

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they haven't fixed that when you've killed everyone the island is deserted
They should have had regenerated enemies

Heh, the What's New section actually calls it Tomb Raider HD Edition

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they haven't fixed that when you've killed everyone the island is deserted
They should have had regenerated enemies
You could respawn a handful of enemies on the beach, from what I remember.

benzy

While the new face can look great at certain points, it can definitely look terrible too.
I think the old face was more consistent at looking good.
Joining the war on faces. PC version shot.
screenshots_00001kukcs.png

Yup, that looks great. The eyes and eyebrows are much more expressive.

Just played the intro on PS4. Looks great. Loved the PS3-version. If you haven't tried TR i would recommend jumping on ship now.

Got it for free, and will play it through again. Don't know if I would have gone for it full price.

If you already played it but didn't like it, no reason to think you will now. Still exactly the same game.

Can't say I see much difference in Laras face. Haven't done any tree studies, but that is on top of my list.
Lol

TGO

Nicked from the Nextgen screenshot thread, can't wait for this Lara looks fantastic
amarectv2014-01-2414-f3up0.png

Sh0k

Finished the game on the 360 but thinking of double dipping on the XBOX ONE. Don't remember much, but does this game have a difficulty setting? I would like to start the game on the hardest difficulty my second play through.

UnrealEck

While the new face can look great at certain points, it can definitely look terrible too.
I think the old face was more consistent at looking good.
Joining the war on faces. PC version shot.
screenshots_00001kukcs.png

That's probably the best screenshot I've seen of that character model.

Atlas157

Finished the game on the 360 but thinking of double dipping on the XBOX ONE. Don't remember much, but does this game have a difficulty setting? I would like to start the game on the hardest difficulty my second play through.

Why not go for the version with the tasty gravy?

UnrealEck

Yes you can change combat difficulty.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
There appears to be some hurt pc gamers going out of their way to find a pixel here or texture there to prove the PS4 version isnt as good as the PC version is.
I mean the mid line gpu and laptop cpu isnt ment to be able to do graphics like this. They told me so.
Well looks like the PS4 is quite powerful indeed and crow doesnt taste nice.
So is there any pics or gifs from the xb1 version?

TGO

I had the choice at the store last night, and that was exactly why I chose the regular case. I can't stand unique cases!
Wait so its just the artwork thats the case? I thought it was the same as the standard case with slip case or a slip case was the standard artwork with the artwork case inside.

icespide

Banned
Wait so its just the artwork thats the case? I thought it was the same as the standard case with slip case or a slip case was the standard artwork with the artwork case inside.

nope it's a slip case with the art book inside and the disc actually sits inside the art book

TGO

nope it's a slip case with the art book inside and the disc actually sits inside the art book
Right so the slip case is like the standard edition artwork with PS4/XBOX ONE with the artwork book case inside, ok that's alright
Its a bit like the uncharted one then, does the disc clip in like a normal case or does it slip in one of the page's like Uncharted did?
Thanks guys

icespide

Banned
Right so the slip case is like the standard edition artwork with PS4/XBOX ONE with the artwork book case inside, ok that's alright
Its a bit like the uncharted one then, does the disc clip in like a normal case or does it slip in one of the page's like Uncharted did?
Thanks guys

it clips in

Colly_M_

Neo Member
It's a special cardboard case.

A real shame this i have loads of ps3 games in slip case packaging and cardboard outer's all G2 in size, happening alot thought the new GTAV special edition was g1 sized outer with a g2 steelbook inside and a stupid bit of foam to stop it moving about.

Top Bottom