• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Maybe it's for extra stability?

I notice a lot of official models are much sturdier than my own creations, and I assume they actually engineer designs to be as such.

I wonder if they have to have a certain strength to them. Or whether certain advanced building techniques are required to use specific ways, such as a circular 2x2 plate HAS to go on studs and not just fitting on top somewhere (as in example above).

It is for stability. Without the two 1x1 studs in the middle, the round plate would just pop right off.

KjJTEsO.gif

1nUvu8O.gif

I've seen this in a few builds, but in the Simpsons set it just seems a bit ridiculous.

What's the point of the two circular 1x1 plates? What is gained by putting them in the bowl aside from increasing the piece count?

I was just doing the final section and was thinking about this. I am thinking the two clear single studs help add the stability to the bowl so it doesn't pop out since it is being used as stoppers for the roof parts.

After putting the Mine Shootout set from the LR, the teepee set just seemed rather lackluster. The Lego Movie set with the Police SUV was great, the SUV is really bulky and looks like it could run through a wall.

wetwired

I've been wanting to do this for ages but I finally got around to it last night, I'm doing some of my Ikea frames for Indiana Jones, basically 2 films per frame. The Last Crusade was a bit short on minifigs to use so I made up a few customs for it.

I may adjust them somewhat (feel free to suggest better parts if you know of any) but here they are...

Indiana Jones - Marcus Brody by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Indiana Jones - Major Toht by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Indiana Jones - Grail Knight by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Indiana Jones - Sallah by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Indiana Jones - Donovan by Brent Waller, on Flickr

mrklaw

MrArseFace

hmm...haven't been on Lego gaf in a while, might just check in.....what the!?

edit: could a kind soul summarise what is happening - especially in the world of UCS and/or SW? Just in the last two pages I've seen a nice sized star destroyer and a UCS sandcrawler. What else is out there?

edit 2: Been on a hiatus, not helped by my son entering a fallow lego phase - he wants me to dismantle the modular street in his room as it is 'taking up space'. Don't want to sell the modulars so will pack up and probably store in the set boxes so its easier to deal with rebuilding in a few years. Now I'm wondering whether to buy the Cinema and Restaurant to keep the sets relatively complete? Missed Green Grocer but have all the others.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wow. I can appreciate the OCD collector in you at such a young age. Still have boxes and all.

Yea, The first big set I can remember getting ever was 6393 Big Rig Truck Stop. I got it for Christmas and I was sooooo Happy. My mom was cleaning up and trashed the box away. It had the instructions in it. I think I was 4 or 5 and I was pretty upset. I believe I had already built it, but I had no instructions or box. Mom called LEGO and and they mailed us a photo copy of the instructions. I found the photo copy in the box with these magazines actually. But ever since that happened my mom didn't throw anything away. We came to an understanding that we throw nothing away unless I give the okay first.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
hmm...haven't been on Lego gaf in a while, might just check in.....what the!?

edit: could a kind soul summarise what is happening - especially in the world of UCS and/or SW? Just in the last two pages I've seen a nice sized star destroyer and a UCS sandcrawler. What else is out there?

edit 2: Been on a hiatus, not helped by my son entering a fallow lego phase - he wants me to dismantle the modular street in his room as it is 'taking up space'. Don't want to sell the modulars so will pack up and probably store in the set boxes so its easier to deal with rebuilding in a few years. Now I'm wondering whether to buy the Cinema and Restaurant to keep the sets relatively complete? Missed Green Grocer but have all the others.

I would say buy them now if you enjoy it. If not save the money. You will regret it later if you don't have it though. I am beginning to Brinklink/PAB the green grocer myself.

judhudson

I can't wait to see clear pics of the SeaCow Ship...Any day now... On the fence on getting it, but I know that if I do, I'll have to get all of the LEGO Movie sets XD

ghostmind

LEGO is not allowing photos to be taken of their sets at the Nürnberg Toy Fair, though they will be releasing some promo pictures of their own during the event.

We will have to wait for the New. York Toy Fair in a couple weeks to get good pictures of final sets.

Dragoshi1

US movie theater promos. You need to be part of their rewards program to get these. Regal's is free but AMC costs $12 to join.

I have a Regal Club card, but what is Real D 3D?

I've seen the plaque with that word on it outside certain rooms at my local theater, but I never understood what makes it different from 2D and regular 3D movies.

ruxtpin

Banned
I have a Regal Club card, but what is Real D 3D?

I've seen the plaque with that word on it outside certain rooms at my local theater, but I never understood what makes it different from 2D and regular 3D movies.

I saw the Hobbit in Real D 3D. All I know is that it was the most expensive out of all the Hobbit viewing options.

I saw the Hobbit in Real D 3D. All I know is that it was the most expensive out of all the Hobbit viewing options.

Real D 3D is just one of the brands of 3D teach theaters use. It should be the same price as all other 3D options unless it is IMAX 3D or if your theater charges for HFR (High Frame Rate) 3D. The only movie released so far in HFR has been The Hobbit. My theater here charged the same for HFR because it uses the same glasses and everything.
The other competing 3D format out there is Dolby 3D, which I have never seen a movie in, but many say it is not as good or reliable as Real D.

Those promo figures are very cool. Hopefully Rave Cinemas (what my theater is), which is part of Cinemark now, get an exclusive.

judhudson

Real D 3D is just one of the brands of 3D teach theaters use. It should be the same price as all other 3D options unless it is IMAX 3D or if your theater charges for HFR (High Frame Rate) 3D. The only movie released so far in HFR has been The Hobbit. My theater here charged the same for HFR because it uses the same glasses and everything.
The other competing 3D format out there is Dolby 3D, which I have never seen a movie in, but many say it is not as good or reliable as Real D.

Those promo figures are very cool. Hopefully Rave Cinemas (what my theater is), which is part of Cinemark now, get an exclusive.

Ditto that. Plans are that Friday to go pick up The LEGO Movie Videogame (have a giftcard just waiting to be used for that), get that free minifig inside of it along with the free movie pass, and use it at my RAVE theater. I really hope they get a minifig deal as well, that'd be icing on the cake there!

ruxtpin

Banned

Aye - I think I saw it in HFR3D, so that's why it was so much. I'm thinking about pre-order the Lego Movie game from Wal-Mart (which snags you the robot DJ figure). Not sure if I want to hang out in line at the theater for the sleepyhead figure.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ditto that. Plans are that Friday to go pick up The LEGO Movie Videogame (have a giftcard just waiting to be used for that), get that free minifig inside of it along with the free movie pass, and use it at my RAVE theater. I really hope they get a minifig deal as well, that'd be icing on the cake there!

But would you qualify for the theater minifig if you used a ticket voucher?

I'd like to think yes but businesses can have strict policies about all sorts of things.

Vyer

The LEGO Movie promotional tin from Reddit

is that the first time we've seen a Vitruvius fig?

K'nex just released some brick sets based on the Family Guy license. These are so bad they're hilarious! I love that K'nex calls themselves "America's Building Toy".

91s4Ct9ZgSL._SL300_.jpg
91DOYW-zQ4L._SL300_.jpg

The red station wagon looks really odd and uses cardboard for the roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHC1V2qAqZk

The reviewer of Stewie's time machine gave up on building it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ck30QPmkM

good god that's terrible

K'nex just released some brick sets based on the Family Guy license. These are so bad they're hilarious! I love that K'nex calls themselves "America's Building Toy".

91s4Ct9ZgSL._SL300_.jpg
91DOYW-zQ4L._SL300_.jpg

The red station wagon looks really odd and uses cardboard for the roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHC1V2qAqZk

The reviewer of Stewie's time machine gave up on building it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ck30QPmkM

They are quite attrocious. I have a nasty habit to collect LEGO compatible minifigs especially for licenses LEGO doesn't have. My kid got a k'nex Mario cart set and those bricks are awful. TRU is the only place I've seen carrying them, but I haven't see the Family Guy character packs. They are available on knex home page which I wish Mega Bloks would do since I can't find some of their product ANYWHERE.

http://www.knex.com/products/family-guy/

K'nex minifig scale is a bit larger than LEGO's. What's weird is the way the heads are connected. Instead of a whole to connect to the head, they have a the long stud coming out of the head. This makes it incompatible with LEGO. What's stranger is the smaller figures such Toadstool for Super Mario has the whole in the head and can fit a LEGO minifigure. I suspect Stewie and Brian to be the same. Heads will be super huge, but I wanna put it on a LEGO minifig.

Judge me not, but I've been hunting for some of the Mega Blok Smurfs too.

Will it be Goodbye Kitty or Smurfette gets smurfed? Place your bets. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

Found this one while looking for a one of my Smurf photos.

"Naturally" or "Not so mini minifig."

Man is love that Movie Tin...

Also does anyone have advice for Legoland?

I'm going this weekend most likely and was wondering if I should know stuff before going... Like if their PAB is awesome or something

ghostmind

LEGO did reveal (at least mostly) their new Star Wars Rebels sets today in Nürnberg - note the specific packaging for Rebels-related merchandise:

XeYOvB5.jpg

q0TKPC9.jpg

Ax6hBPB.jpg

LJBQyJa.jpg

(note the docking port in the back to connect the Phantom to the Ghost)

Buwv9AR.jpg

They also revealed a LEGO model of Chopper (not for sale), the new astromech droid to be featured in the Rebels series. Hopefully the minifig for this character will be in one of the new sets.

657bXoh.jpg

I really don't know what to think of the Ghost...it looks interesting but kinda clunky. Would need to see it built in person (like quite a few sets) before I consider a purchase.

Fowler

I really don't know what to think of the Ghost...it looks interesting but kinda clunky. Would need to see it built in person (like quite a few sets) before I consider a purchase.

Looks too busy. Star Wars ships aren't exactly clean, I know, but there's too much going on there.

Jimbro72

Well, I do like the packaging that the Rebel stuff will come in. Still not sure how crazy I am for the ship designs themselves just yet. Need to see them in action first.

And yet I'll still buy them.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm definitely getting The Ghost, not yet sold on the rest but I like that new droid, so I'll probably seek out a set with it at the very least.

Looks like there is a Jedi as part of their crew... curious to see where this show goes. Supposedly it will tie in really well with Ep 7 in some way, maybe some characters in common?

Man is love that Movie Tin...

Also does anyone have advice for Legoland?

I'm going this weekend most likely and was wondering if I should know stuff before going... Like if their PAB is awesome or something

Legoland PAB is a ripoff. They charge by the weight. It may be good for some parts, but heavy pieces such as tiles you're better off with other sources. Last time I was there, their PAB selection was greatly reduced. Before, even for higher prices, they at least had some stuff that you wouldn't find anywhere else such as technic pieces. Not sure how far the official San Diego LEGO store is from Legoland, but I mainly stick with LEGO Store PAB.

One good thing about Legoland is they sometimes have very old stock of stuff. Polybags too. Just a few months ago I saw they still had a bunch of Castle battle packs from a few years ago. They almost always have old keychains at heavy discount.

LEGO did reveal (at least mostly) their new Star Wars Rebels sets today in Nürnberg - note the specific packaging for Rebels-related merchandise:

q0TKPC9.jpg

Ax6hBPB.jpg

I'm going against the current grain and saying I like the Phantom. It's definitely bulky looking, but I like that. I like that they have that trans dome piece and the round plate with a 2x2 hole in it. Definitely need more colors of those 2 pieces.

Draxal

(note the docking port in the back to connect the Phantom to the Ghost)

They also revealed a LEGO model of Chopper (not for sale), the new astromech droid to be featured in the Rebels series. Hopefully the minifig for this character will be in one of the new sets.

Wasn't the astromech in the prelim picture of the phantom? The spot is just blocked by the black bricks in that picture. I like both.

ghostmind

Wasn't the astromech in the prelim picture of the phantom? The spot is just blocked by the black bricks in that picture. I like both.

Yes, it looks like Chopper is included with the Phantom set.

I love spaceship design, both sleek and bulky, so I quite like both of these sets.

I would think that we may see more Rebels sets announced for later in 2014 as well.

Top Bottom