• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about making this thread for a while. Instead of clogging up other fantasy league threads with questions, why not have one thread for all questions. Here's my question.

I've been flipflopping on this decision since January. I'm in a dynasty league and can only keep 1 of the following 2 players. Who do I keep:

Shane Vereen or Desean Jackson

It's not a PPR league. Basically standard scoring with an emphasis on TDs (all tds=6 points, and a deemphasis on yardage. We start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 QB, 1 TE, and 1 Flex.

I'm leaning towards Vereen at this point because backs are harder to find, but NE's RBBC is concerning.

Kill3r7

I've been thinking about making this thread for a while. Instead of clogging up other fantasy league threads with questions, why not have one thread for all questions. Here's my question.

I've been flipflopping on this decision since January. I'm in a dynasty league and can only keep 1 of the following 2 players. Who do I keep:

Shane Vereen or Desean Jackson

It's not a PPR league. Basically standard scoring with an emphasis on TDs (all tds=6 points, and a deemphasis on yardage. We start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 QB, 1 TE, and 1 Flex.

I'm leaning towards Vereen at this point because backs are harder to find, but NE's RBBC is concerning.

Shane Vereen if you want to play it safe, though his value is pretty high in PPR league but in a std league I think you can get better/similar production from a guy like Rashad Jennings.

Desean Jackson if you are a gambling man. He could have an amazing year with the Redskins and he put up some impressive numbers last year.

Shane Vereen if you want to play it safe, though his value is pretty high in PPR league but in a std league I think you can get better/similar production from a guy like Rashad Jennings.

Desean Jackson if you are a gambling man. He could have an amazing year with the Redskins and he put up some impressive numbers last year.

Yeah, it's my dynasty keepers, so I don't necessarily have a choice of other players. I was considering dropping Patterson but his hype is so high right now I can't let that potential lottery ticket go. So that's why it's either jackson or vereen. So you're saying Vereen too.

I've simulated the first round of our draft (which is actually round 8-we keep 7 players a year), and I'll be able to grab Richardson who will be a boom or bust guy. I hope I can grab Cooks in the 9th round, as I already have Brees.

I have a question about fantasy trade calculators.

I'm sure everyone's familiar with them, but I wonder how they work.

Do they just project stats for each player, add the values then compare the two sides together? If so, that would lead to pretty inaccurate results.

Just curious if anyone has the info on this.

RBH

I am in a PPR league and I'm allowed to have 1 keeper (QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T). The player I choose as my keeper will cost me the draft pick he is projected to go in for the 2014 season. I'm picking 2nd overall in a 12-person league.

Here are the players I have to decide between:

Giovani Bernard (I would lose my 2nd round pick)
Zac Stacy (I would lose my 3rd round pick)
DeSean Jackson (I would lose my 5th round pick)
Vincent Jackson (I would lose my 3rd round pick)
Shane Vereen (I would lose my 5th round pick)

I'm leaning towards either Bernard or Stacy, but I'm having a tough time making a choice overall.

I am in a PPR league and I'm allowed to have 1 keeper (QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T). The player I choose as my keeper will cost me the draft pick he is projected to go in for the 2014 season. I'm picking 2nd overall in a 12-person league.

I'm leaning towards either Bernard or Stacy, but I'm having a tough time making a choice overall.

I'd go for Bernard or Vereen, probably Bernard. Since you're picking second there's very little difference between your 2nd and 3rd rounders, and Bernard has more upside. Stacy is solid but I don't think he's going to keep getting 20+ carries a game, whereas Bernard may get more touches this year. He obviously gains more value in PPR, too.

Vereen is probably the best value, but Bernard is the best talent and needing to fill two RBs plus a flex, I keep the best back.

RBH

I'd go for Bernard or Vereen, probably Bernard. Since you're picking second there's very little difference between your 2nd and 3rd rounders, and Bernard has more upside. Stacy is solid but I don't think he's going to keep getting 20+ carries a game, whereas Bernard may get more touches this year. He obviously gains more value in PPR, too.

Vereen is probably the best value, but Bernard is the best talent and needing to fill two RBs plus a flex, I keep the best back.

Thanks, maybe I'll go with Bernard then....

Rudakus

I think Stacy in the third is great value most drafts I've seen have him going in the second . Is this PPR? If not then I'd definitely go Stacy. If it is PPR I can see the allure of Bernard, but I'd still go Stacy. Either way you are getting a great value. Being able to get Charles/McCoy(If they are not kept), Stacy, and insert second round WR here... That's a nice start.

MBison

I am pick 10 out of 12 in a keeper league. I have Giovani Bernard for a 4th round pick and Alshon Jeffery for a 9th round pick. So I have 2 top 12 guys at their positions already on my team.

This is a non-ppr league, 6 points per ALL touchdowns, including passing. 1 per 15 yards rush/rec, and 1 per 40 passing. Roster is QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE

Looking for advice on my 1st and 2nd round picks. (#10 overall and #15 overall)

Here's what I expect to be there:

1) Could go WR/WR, grabbing something like Dez and Julio level.

2) Could go RB/WR, as Lynch might fall to there but everyone above Lynch (Charles, McCoy, Peterson, Forte, Lacy) will for sure be gone. Lynch would be the best option at RB if I take an RB.

3) Could go QB/WR or RB/QB. Rodgers or Brees should be there (Manning is kept). At 6 points per touchdown, these high potent QBs are valuable. I could go Lynch then Brees or Rodgers and like Julio.

4) Could go TE/QB or TE/WR: Graham might fall to 10, there's a chance. Could get him and pair with Brees or get Julio.

What do you think is the best strategy? Lynch is like the last of the RBs that I'd consider desirable (Murray maybe). But having 3 top 12 WRs is pretty powerful. But then again so is having one of the top 3 QBs. I usually wait till late for QB in this league but I have missed the playoffs for 3 years running. Last year I waited and got Vick and you see how that worked out.

If I wait on RB, I'm targetting Joique Bell and Fred Jackson later as I think they'll get tds.

thoughts?

Please help with some advice! Will help in return!!

RBH

I think Stacy in the third is great value most drafts I've seen have him going in the second . Is this PPR? If not then I'd definitely go Stacy. If it is PPR I can see the allure of Bernard, but I'd still go Stacy. Either way you are getting a great value. Being able to get Charles/McCoy(If they are not kept), Stacy, and insert second round WR here... That's a nice start.

It's PPR. Yesterday was my deadline to pick a keeper, and I chose Bernard. My thinking was that the rest of the Rams offense isn't very good, so Stacy will draw more attention from opponents, and now with the news of Sam Bradford possibly re-injuring his ACL, Stacy might draw even more attention from opposing defenses.

RBH

I am pick 10 out of 12 in a keeper league. I have Giovani Bernard for a 4th round pick and Alshon Jeffery for a 9th round pick. So I have 2 top 12 guys at their positions already on my team.

This is a non-ppr league, 6 points per ALL touchdowns, including passing. 1 per 15 yards rush/rec, and 1 per 40 passing. Roster is QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE

Looking for advice on my 1st and 2nd round picks. (#10 overall and #15 overall)

Here's what I expect to be there:

1) Could go WR/WR, grabbing something like Dez and Julio level.

2) Could go RB/WR, as Lynch might fall to there but everyone above Lynch (Charles, McCoy, Peterson, Forte, Lacy) will for sure be gone. Lynch would be the best option at RB if I take an RB.

3) Could go QB/WR or RB/QB. Rodgers or Brees should be there (Manning is kept). At 6 points per touchdown, these high potent QBs are valuable. I could go Lynch then Brees or Rodgers and like Julio.

4) Could go TE/QB or TE/WR: Graham might fall to 10, there's a chance. Could get him and pair with Brees or get Julio.

What do you think is the best strategy? Lynch is like the last of the RBs that I'd consider desirable (Murray maybe). But having 3 top 12 WRs is pretty powerful. But then again so is having one of the top 3 QBs. I usually wait till late for QB in this league but I have missed the playoffs for 3 years running. Last year I waited and got Vick and you see how that worked out.

If I wait on RB, I'm targetting Joique Bell and Fred Jackson later as I think they'll get tds.

thoughts?

Please help with some advice! Will help in return!!
Honestly, I would go with QB/WR. I think given the paucity of talent at RB, I think grabbing Brees + Julio would be ideal for you.

If anyone was still looking for a FF league my league is about 4 people short, send me a PM or post in this thread. non-PPR league format, two Flex spots (W/R/T and W/T) and half the league makes the playoffs with Top 4 cashing. Buy-in is $35 and we draft Monday at 9 PM.

Should I drop Jordan Matthews to pick up MIles Austin? Miles Austin is a starting receiver and could get lots of targets and this could be my last chance to get him before he's a hot commodity. Conversely, if Maclin loses his spot or gets injured I got the #1 receiver w/ Matthews in a fast paced, high flying offense.

RBH

Trying to figure out my flex spot. It's between Fred Jackson, Mike Evans or Bishop Sankey. What you guys think?
Fred Jackson

Should I drop Jordan Matthews to pick up MIles Austin? Miles Austin is a starting receiver and could get lots of targets and this could be my last chance to get him before he's a hot commodity. Conversely, if Maclin loses his spot or gets injured I got the #1 receiver w/ Matthews in a fast paced, high flying offense.
I don't think Miles will ever be the same due to his injuries. And with Cleveland's QB situation.......I'd stick with Matthews

FTF

Pierre Garcon at Texans -or- Eric Decker vs Raiders

PPR league

Right now I'm starting Garcon, but I've been going back and forth on this one.

Michael Crabtree @ Dallas

OR

Emmanuel Sanders vs. Indianapolis?

Sanders, especially with no Welker for the next few weeks.

Start Gronk or anyone else?

Unless your other TE's are Jimmy Graham or Julius Thomas, play Gronk.

PPR league

Sanders, especially with no Welker for the next few weeks.

Unless your other TE's are Jimmy Graham or Julius Thomas, play Gronk.

Garçon and it's not close. Texans pass rush just means RG3 needs to stick to shorter passes, which Garçon catches a lot of. I wouldn't go near Decker until we see how much he improves their offense.

Heads up - Cecil Shorts its out for the first game

I don't think Miles will ever be the same due to his injuries. And with Cleveland's QB situation.......I'd stick with Matthews
Thanks. Yeah I let Austin sit. He prob wont be good enough to make an impact. I picked up Dwyer (Ellingtons back up) instead.

OR

Man Dallas d is so terrible but I like Sanders here.

Start Gronk or anyone else?
Start Gronk.

St. Louis defense vs. Minnesota

OR

Chicago defense vs. Buffalo?
I personally would go with da Bears.

I have Cam Newton and Phillip Rivers.

Who do I start?
Rivers

PPR league

Garcon. That's who I'm starting but I will say Texans D makes me nervous for this. I just can't trust Geno Smith yet after last season. If it were Vick throwing to Decker I might lean his way a bit more. Garcon though, through thick and thin usually puts up a good 20 points per game (at least in the way my league is scored).

OR

I'm in the same boat w my flex.

Sanders did practice all week, unlike Crabtree. And Peyton likes to spread the ball around. I easily imagine Crabs limping off the field in the second quarter after getting 3 catches and 23 yards while Sanders blows up in a high scoring game. I think Sanders is the safer choice

Choomp

Banned
Ugh, I had a hunch I should've started Russell Wilson over Cam earlier this week, now I'm screwed.

Hey, should I play James Jones over MJD at FLEX? I was pretty set on MJD but they're projections are similar.

Kusagari

I have the Cards D but I'm thinking of benching them today and dropping one of my other fillers for the Texans, Jets or Lions D.

Leaning mostly toward the Texans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom