• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Justice League (F2P Fantasy Football) 2017 |OT| 28-3

Hopefully someone will show up for a last minute entry.. But it is what it is.

I've had to run a ghost team in other leagues in the past. I wish I saw this earlier.. But I'll see if anyone I know here wants to participates.

Did my first mock auction draft today.. Holy crap its way different. Glad I did though so I can sort of figure out what to do tomorrow.

How does waivers etc work during the year? Is it based of money we save from the draft? Or is there a new pool of $$$ to work with during the season?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I've had to run a ghost team in other leagues in the past. I wish I saw this earlier.. But I'll see if anyone I know here wants to participates.

Did my first mock auction draft today.. Holy crap its way different. Glad I did though so I can sort of figure out what to do tomorrow.

How does waivers etc work during the year? Is it based of money we save from the draft? Or is there a new pool of $$$ to work with during the season?

I love auction, it involves a different mindset.

New pool of money. $100-200 depending on the league. Usually, it is $100. You bid on the player through wires. Whatever amount you want.

I can transfer control of a team after the draft, if necessary. It's not ideal, but it is better than the alternative. I think we actually ended up doing just that last year.

As far as the waivers...

I love auction, it involves a different mindset.

New pool of money. $100-200 depending on the league. Usually, it is $100. You bid on the player through wires. Whatever amount you want.

Yep. New pool of money. $100 for the season. Use it wisely!

KingV

I'm in GLJ2 as KingV Bottom Dollars

Edit: I have not prepared enough for the auction this year. My draft may be... terrible.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I love the smell of draft day.

Edit - Someone dropped from GJL2. Also, there are 14 teams? I thought it was 12.

I love the smell of draft day.

Edit - Someone dropped from GJL2. Also, there are 14 teams? I thought it was 12.
13 right now. My team (Cap's Kooky Quartet) is a placeholder. Will be transferring commissioner tools over to KingV and then my team will get removed, bringing it down to an even 12.

All leagues are officially set up! Thank you everyone for registering on time and making this a smooth process.

And here's your official notice:

DRAFT IS TODAY.

AUGUST 27TH. 5PM EDT.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Oh, and uh... good luck!

Compbros

I've been running mocks for the past couple days, finally locked down what I'm shooting for and how realistic it is. I'm ready.

JFunky

I didn't prep as much as I wanted to and I've never done an auction draft so this will be interesting 😂

Compbros

Advice:

Have a strategy: There's two main ways I think about auction drafts - Stars and Scrubs and Balanced. Stars and Scrubs is spending a ton of money on 3 or so players and then building around them a team of 3-5 dollar players. With this you may spend 180 dollars to get David Johnson, Mike Evans, and A.J. Green but now you have 12 roster spots and 20 dollars to fill them. A dollar for kickers/defends leaves you with 10 spots at 18 dollars for an average of 1.8 dollars per player. These are just whatever numbers thrown out. Balanced is going "Okay, I'll spend 120 on skill positions (WR/RB), 15~ on a QB (This is Matt Ryan territory), and fill out the rest". This leaves you with 65 dollars to grab some talent for your bench so you aren't dependent on a few guys every week.

Know who you're going for and how much you wanna spend: If you're going for, say, Julio Jones and he usually goes for 60 dollars you can say "I'll go as high as 71 on Julio". You may go a bit over but know when to bow out. You're not gonna get every player you want.

Don't always nominate a player you actually want: If it's your turn to nominate and, say, Miller is still at play, who you want on your team, you may want to nominate someone like Isiah Crowell to get an RB spot/money off the table. This is especially effective early on when people have a ton of money and are willing to overspend a bit.

Don't be afraid to spend: You may think you spent a few bucks too much on a player but it's better to overspend by 6 bucks than to leave the draft with 15 dollars left over that could've went to upgrading a position.

Read the room: Some people value WRs over RB, some will wait forever on QB, some will scramble and overspend on top QBs, what have you. Look at the teams they have so far, it may be a player and you with 90 bucks left over that's the most in the league ATM but they've got 4 RBs on their team so you throw out an RB you want and they're less likely to bid.

DO NOT BID ON A PLAYER UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY WANT THEM!!!!: This gets people all the time. Somebody is being drafted way below the dollar amount you think they should, let's say Gordon is going for 35 when usually he goes for 50, you may want to bid to drive up the cost on the owner that wants him and to get a few more bucks out of them. You don't really want Gordon, you don't believe in him or whatever, but you don't want him to go that low. Well the bid is now 42 and you're in the lead and the other owner stops bidding. You're now stuck with a player you didn't want just because you wanted to drive up the price a bit.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^That last bit of price enforcing is true. But man, is it so satisfying when you make someone spend a few more dollars.

We've still a got bit of time, so I'd honestly recommend doing at least a round or two of a mock auction draft to at least get familiar with how it works. It's very different than your usual snake draft, but I had a great experience with it last year.

Our illustrious Champion, Kelik, is the only one who couldn't make the JLP draft. Big money being thrown around. *eyes the $71 I somehow spent on Bell*

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Folks left a good chunk of change on the table in GJL2.

It's all moot though since LQX (Eli's Red Bucket) is going to win it all this year. 4 QBs.

Look like all leagues have concluded their drafts.

Thank you to everyone for participating. Here's to another fantastic season of football!

I don't feel too confident about the WR's on my team at all but overall my team is alright. No real room for error though unfortunately

For some reason I bidded $45 on Elliot when I was joking to everyone at home that no one should bet that for him.. and I won.

My one big mistake. And I ended up with $18 or something left over. Not my best work, but it was my first real auction draft.. its exciting! Thankfully ended up with McFadden for $1 so hopefully I'm covered.

All three leagues share any discussion in this thread, yeah?

Mhm! Helps to specify what league you're talking about that, for those that don't pay attention.
For some reason I bidded $45 on Elliot when I was joking to everyone at home that no one should bet that for him.. and I won.

My one big mistake. And I ended up with $18 or something left over. Not my best work, but it was my first real auction draft.. its exciting! Thankfully ended up with McFadden for $1 so hopefully I'm covered.

McFadden went for 20+ in GJLP. Madness.

The 10 team thing really blew up my auction values. Totally forgot it wasn't 12. Now I have a bunch of could be good players, no room for waivers and I left a bunch of money on the table :lol

Gah!! I didn't notice till just now they dropped the teams to 10. All my mock drafts were 12-teams.

Note to self.. Don't drink and draft as much. This was my 2nd draft of the day.

Oof.

The 10 team thing really blew up my auction values. Totally forgot it wasn't 12. Now I have a bunch of could be good players, no room for waivers and I left a bunch of money on the table :lol

Gah!! I didn't notice till just now they dropped the teams to 10. All my mock drafts were 12-teams.

Note to self.. Don't drink and draft as much. This was my 2nd draft of the day.

Oof.

Sorry, guys, I think my announcement about 10 teams might have been buried at the bottom of last page. Didn't think to reiterate for the draft today.

I (FrankGoreWaifuPillow) am open to trades in regards to either on my QBs in GJLP. Looking for a rb specifically but open to anything.

KingV

GLJ2 had a few people not show up. The auto draft were animals. I'm still giggling over how travis Kelce went for $40 as the auto drafters bid him up over each other.

I always end up trying to price enforce and blowing too much early by doing it. It sort of worked out this year as I ended up with with David Johnson for $68... even though my plan was to load up on three or four RB2/3's and hope their roles expanded through the year.

I also ended up with too many WRs. Last year, trading in GJL3 didn't work too well, I think because everybody approached trades very zero sum because for the most part we don't actually know each other.

Edit: ^ good luck trading QBs. They are usually terrible trade bait because the pool is so deep

KingV

I feel like AFK Chicken can beat my team lol

Honestly, if you are sharp with waivers, the landscape will change a lot in the first 2 weeks. There's dudes that are better than expected, that we don't know about yet, and guys that seemed like decent bets that are obviously not going to be used at all.

Cappa

Banned
GLJ2 had a few people not show up. The auto draft were animals. I'm still giggling over how travis Kelce went for $40 as the auto drafters bid him up over each other.

I always end up trying to price enforce and blowing too much early by doing it. It sort of worked out this year as I ended up with with David Johnson for $68... even though my plan was to load up on three or four RB2/3's and hope their roles expanded through the year.

I also ended up with too many WRs. Last year, trading in GJL3 didn't work too well, I think because everybody approached trades very zero sum because for the most part we don't actually know each other.

Edit: ^ good luck trading QBs. They are usually terrible trade bait because the pool is so deep
Im winning gl2 easily

Top Bottom