• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

legacyzero

Banned
I need to get a wireless extender for my apartment I think. If I'm in my man-cave with my router, Remote Play runs flawless. But I have a gigantic apartment. So when I go to my living room, the signal is terrible.

darkwing

I need to get a wireless extender for my apartment I think. If I'm in my man-cave with my router, Remote Play runs flawless. But I have a gigantic apartment. So when I go to my living room, the signal is terrible.

do it, I bought a stronger signal router myself

Pop

Is there a way to force my Vita to connect via my router when I'm home instead of directly to the PS4?

It has "Connect directly with PS Vita: If you turn on this setting a PS Vita can connect directly to this PS4 using Wi-Fi. This setting is available only when you connect using Remote Play."

But I imagine that's for if I want to connect via wi-fi and I'm outside of my house.

Whenever I try to remote play home it always 100% of the time attempts to connect to my PS4 directly.

I wouldn't use that setting. Pretty useless if you ask me. I've never use that setting and my vita works just fine in my home and anywhere else with wifi.

Something like this would be a better solution if you don't want to change your router

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSQAIQU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is close to a wired connection extending your network as most wireless extenders pick up the signal wirelessly then repeat it wirelessly which is less compelling a solution

How does something like that work??

EDIT: Wait, this isn't for the US, is it? Those strange plugins LOL

These are for the US and have standard US plugs

Now let me tell you the good word about powerline adapters, my child

Powerline adapters plug into electrical outlets in your house. One next to your router and the other one next to the device you want to "direct" connect. They take the wired internet signal from your router and send it across your electrical wiring in your house to provide an almost guaranteed more robust internet signal than wireless.

So in your case with the powerline adapters that also double as a Wifi extender, it'd be a little like having a second router at that plug since the connection to that plug would be closer to wired than wireless, hence the wireless signal it'll give off would be far more robust than a wireless repeater/extender that's not powerline adapter based

lol I feel like a shady internet salesman

Blackage

I wouldn't use that setting. Pretty useless if you ask me. I've never use that setting and my vita works just fine in my home and anywhere else with wifi.

Yes I know, what I'm asking is, is there a way to force my Vita to bypass direct connection and just use wifi instead? :)

Oh, sorry I was watching Youtube vids for reviews and such, and the plugins were strange LOL. But the Amazon pics show normal plugs.

This sounds awesome.

It should be a much better solution than a wireless extender although a better router is always an option too, really depends on the distance required and such. Powerline adapters are super flexible though especially that one as it will not only act as a wifi router at the 2nd plug location but you'll get an Ethernet port too if you wanted to connect something wired there

Yes I know, what I'm asking is, is there a way to force my Vita to bypass direct connection and just use wifi instead? :)

If you turn off the "Connect directly to PS4" option it should force RP to use your wifi via your router

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I need help. I've been unable to get remote play working over the internet at all. It's flawless using remote play in my house but away from home it just doesn't connect to my PS4 at all. It just stays on "searching via internet" forever. The settings on my PS4 are all on for this feature. I don't understand what's wrong.

DieH@rd

Banned
I need help. I've been unable to get remote play working over the internet at all. It's flawless using remote play in my house but away from home it just doesn't connect to my PS4 at all. It just stays on "searching via internet" forever. The settings on my PS4 are all on for this feature. I don't understand what's wrong.

Problem is either in your home router or in router at your destination.

If you try RP on few other locations, you maybe get it to work, thus proving that your home router works fine and that router at location#1 is preventing good data flow.

You have info in OP. Either enable uPNP, open up few ports or put entire router under DMZ [last resort].

Bacause all of this, Sony guarantees that RP will only work in home conditinos [both PS4 and Vita have their own wifi modules for direct communication]. When you introduce random routers, shit can go wrong very quickly...

btkadams

I have an AE router and have opened up the ports in the OP.

When I search on the vita, it turns on the ps4, but the vita never stops searching. The moment it stops searching and gives the error screen, my ps4 goes back into standby. Anybody know what's happening? Is it connecting but not having good enough bandwidth? I have great internet at home and my vita was tethered to my iPhone 5 with 20 ms ping and 37 down. Nothing on the ps4 shows it's connected to the vita. It just boots up to the login screen.

reson8or

This is going to probably be a really dumb question. But as an AirPort Extreme owner, I am very happy with the router in all aspects beside RP. However RP is something I absolutely want., so am trying all options before spending another $130 on a router.

So question is: If I were to just unplug y router before leaving from home, and plug my PS4 directly into the cable modem, would this work?! I'll probably have to power cycle the modem but if anyone has any thoughts before I rewire everything to test this out, I'd appreciate it.

reson8or

I have an AE router and have opened up the ports in the OP.

When I search on the vita, it turns on the ps4, but the vita never stops searching. The moment it stops searching and gives the error screen, my ps4 goes back into standby. Anybody know what's happening? Is it connecting but not having good enough bandwidth? I have great internet at home and my vita was tethered to my iPhone 5 with 20 ms ping and 37 down. Nothing on the ps4 shows it's connected to the vita. It just boots up to the login screen.

Everyone with AE are having problems, as in RP it does not work with AE because Apple does not use UPnP. Personally I've tried every possible solution, but as other have stated, it just doesn't work. I'm at an impasse myself since the AE is wonderful with this one exception.

btkadams

Everyone with AE are having problems, as in RP it does not work with AE because Apple does not use UPnP. Personally I've tried every possible solution, but as other have stated, it just doesn't work. I'm at an impasse myself since the AE is wonderful with this one exception.

i can't seem to find anyone with my issue though, with the ps4 actually turning on. is that what happens with yours too?

reson8or

i can't seem to find anyone with my issue though, with the ps4 actually turning on. is that what happens with yours too?

I haven't actually had someone check the PS4's status while I performed my tests outside, however, I have seen posts from those that have, and yes they said it would turn on, but not connect.

btkadams

So your PS4 won't turn on with RP, correct? I had that issue too (not using an AE, either), and I had to go into System Settings on the PS4 and initialize the console to make it work. Sucks, but since I did that it's worked flawlessly.

No, the PS4 turns on. The vita just continues to search though as if nothing is happening. The PS4 just sits at the login screen with no mention of a vita connection. The weird thing is that the PS4 also then goes back into standby at the exact same time the vita gives the error screen saying it can't find the PS4.

No, the PS4 turns on. The vita just continues to search though as if nothing is happening. The PS4 just sits at the login screen with no mention of a vita connection. The weird thing is that the PS4 also then goes back into standby at the exact same time the vita gives the error screen saying it can't find the PS4.

You still might try the initialize. If you have fast internet, it doesn't take too long to redownload everything,

Is there any way to extend the range of the PS4's WiFi for the purpose of Direct Connection for Remote Play? I don't want to go through my router for remote play; I want to connect directly to the PS4, but the PS4's built-in WiFi starts to die just a short distance from the system.

Is there any way to extend the range of the PS4's WiFi for the purpose of Direct Connection for Remote Play? I don't want to go through my router for remote play; I want to connect directly to the PS4, but the PS4's built-in WiFi starts to die just a short distance from the system.

No why don't you want to use your router?

Craiji

Remote Play on the Vita TV, with my JP account, better let me connect to my PS4, with my US account.

The Vita can remote play to a different account than what it is setup with, and I hope the Vita TV does the same with no restrictions.

Direct Connection provides the best experience possible -- the best quality picture and the least amount of lag. I want the best experience possible. I just want it to have a longer range. :)

Eh not really? Routers can offer far far more robust connection then the PS4's rather poor wifi card could. The general recommendation to most people in this thread is to turn off their direct connection because in a lot of causes it is a weaker solution.

You can always replace a router with a more powerful, better model but you're stuck with the PS4's fairly poor wifi card

Anyone had any luck getting a comcast Arris modem/wifi router to work with internet Remote play? I've done everything, I've forwarded ports, I've put it into DMZ and it never works outside of the house.

As a new PSVita and PS4 owner, I just tried remote play for the first time. It was a head smacker. I connected with my PS4 which is 50 miles away, HAD A BEAUTIFUL connection, and couldn't believe that I have access to my PS4 like this in a completely portable format.

This was a mind-blowing next gen-moment.

Snatched away by the fact that Sony designed this entire beautiful infrastructure without considering ANY freaking way to make my vita have a one-to-one match up with my home controller? Like, there's NO kind of attachment to turn my vita into the equivalent of a DS4?

This is one of those rare times where I would pay good to cash Sony for some kind of attachment that adds the extra buttons and functionality to my vita.

Seriously. I don't even care if the add-on is 50.00.

The fact that I was *this* close to playing Second Son or trying Warframe on the go was blowing my mind. They looked STUNNING on my Vita screen.

People really won't get it until they try it. It's like how you just have to do the 2nd screen thing on the Wii U to understand how awesome that is. It's so cool to the point of being frustrating that the end result feels like a half-measure.

Sony. Fix this. Really.

This remote play thing is BAD ASS.

As a new PSVita and PS4 owner, I just tried remote play for the first time. It was a head smacker. I connected with my PS4 which is 50 miles away, HAD A BEAUTIFUL connection, and couldn't believe that I have access to my PS4 like this in a completely portable format.

Snatched away by the fact that Sony designed this entire beautiful infrastructure without considering ANY freaking way to make my vita have a one-to-one match up with my home controller? Like, there's NO kind of attachment to turn my vita into the equivalent of a DS4?

This is one of those rare times where I would pay good to cash Sony for some kind of attachment that adds the extra buttons and functionality to my vita.

The fact that I was *this* close to playing Second Son or trying Warframe on the go was blowing my mind. They looked STUNNING on my Vita screen.

People really won't get it until they try it. It's like how you just have to do the 2nd screen thing on the Wii U to understand how awesome that is. It's so cool to the point of being frustrating that the end result feels like a half-measure.

Sony. Fix this. Really.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Vita controls.

Sony. Fix this. Really.

It shouldn't even be hard to do. Vita supports bluetooth. You could use your PS3 controller on a PSP Go.

Mrcapcom

Sony. Fix this. Really.

I play warframe on my Vita all the time. Its one of those things where once you get used to it its second nature.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I just noticed something pretty weird... Remote play (while in my house) is almost flawless, except in one case: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

It was pretty choppy and the sound was cutting of every 5 seconds or so. But then I discovered that the stream was flawless... if the TV is on. While my TV is powered on, GZ plays really well on my Vita. As soon as I turn the TV off, the game starts stuttering and the sound cuts off regularly.

What is going on?! I tried a couple of other games, and they work well wether the TV is on or off (Resogun, Mercenary Kings...). Is it because MGS is on disc (it's the only disc game I have)? Is it because MGS is a "heavier" game? This is really weird...

I also tried disabling the "direct connection" option, but didn't notice any major difference.

EDIT: Found the problem; it was my HDMI switcher for some reason. Plugged my PS4 in its own HDMI port on the TV, and now everything is working flawlessly. Wow, can't wait to try remote play over the internet...!

reson8or

Finally caved and decided to replace my AE with the Asus, should have it up and running thursday. Yay!

Yeah, no. The ASUS turned out to perform like hot garbage on my network. Returned it to Amazon for a full refund. I will be looking into other options for RP access.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can I link two ps4 to my psvita?

No. RP works only between PS4 and Vita that have same account, and both accounts need to be in activated state.

After PS4 Link app establishes handshake with PS4, it will accept connection only to that PS4 and no other.

From the inFamous thread but thought I post this in here:

Anyone noticed that when playing vita Remoteplay, the turn sensitivity eventually looses the threshold where turn acceleration kicks in?

As in, you'll hold all the way left and right and the camera won't go to a full spin anymore. I've noticed this EVERY time after about a few minutes of play and occurred after the big patch

Phreak47

I'm just hoping that Vita TV can take advantage of wired gigabit connectivity to make it faster and more reliable than it is over wifi on the Vita. I would definitely buy one for my bedroom if that were so.

Tinzo

Banned
does anyone knows why i can't use remote play away from home?
i tried at work and it didn't work. At home i used my phone hotspot to test it. Vita was connected to my 4G phone internet and all it does is only turning the ps4 on. then it
tries to connect but fails. why it turns it on if it cant find it and why does not connect after turning it on? is anyone familiar with this?

Anyone who had remote play issues away from home: have you tried remote play now that there's been an update to both the PS4 and the Vita? Seems the vita update was remote play related and I was wondering if they fixed some of the issues related to it. I can never seem to get it to work outside my house : /

DieH@rd

Banned
Anyone who had remote play issues away from home: have you tried remote play now that there's been an update to both the PS4 and the Vita? Seems the vita update was remote play related and I was wondering if they fixed some of the issues related to it. I can never seem to get it to work outside my house : /

Officially, they only sped up the PS4 discovery times. If you dont have compatibile routers both at home and at destination, you will still be out of luck sadly.

Tinzo

Banned
i am going to try it after work today.
but i am pretty sure it won't change anything. its a bit sad i can't get it to work. i even changed a lot of stuff in my router/modem and no success.

Edit:
NOpe didn't help

Craiji

I'm just hoping that Vita TV can take advantage of wired gigabit connectivity to make it faster and more reliable than it is over wifi on the Vita. I would definitely buy one for my bedroom if that were so.
The Vita TV only has a 10/100 LAN port.

Zoe

does anyone knows why i can't use remote play away from home?
i tried at work and it didn't work. At home i used my phone hotspot to test it. Vita was connected to my 4G phone internet and all it does is only turning the ps4 on. then it
tries to connect but fails. why it turns it on if it cant find it and why does not connect after turning it on? is anyone familiar with this?

If it can connect to turn it on, then it's probably the quality of the connection--bad upload or download on one of the ends.

Top Bottom