• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |1 year Anniversary Thread| You should be playing this game now

inky

What is Marvel Heroes you ask? Let's say it is half Diablo, half an MMO. It is also F2P. MH Cinematic Opening

Marvel Heroes launched 1 year ago to so-so reviews and incomplete. This led to some people dismissing it and I don't blame anyone who did. BUT, this past year the developers have been on top of their game bringing new content every week and improving the game in ways I've only seen a couple of other developers match. I seriously can't stress enough how much work Gazillion has put into it, how much the game has improved or outright completely transformed and how fun a game it has been for the past several months.

If you are still with me, let me try to show you what has happened in the last year and why I think you should give the game a chance now.

• Changed the pricing of heroes to 3 tiers: 450, 900, 1350 G (100G = $1)
  • Added Eternity Splinters: new drop item that acts as currency and allows you to buy Heroes, Team Ups and other stuff, so you can improve your roster just by playing the game, much like League of Legends works.

XJsOTYy.png

• Stats have been completely overhauled, so damage and defense are easier to understand. Hero Basic Stat System was reworked to scale infinitely.
  • More than a dozen scalable Optimization Options. Game runs much, much smoother now.
  • Auto Party system added. (Optional)
  • Easy to access Waypoints that work globally.
  • Increased inventory size for everyone. Many things stack higher now.
  • Removed the need for Cosmic Keys (which was a fee for daily repeatable dungeons).
  • General UI improvements. New item slots that let you equip many more different things and build your hero more uniquely.
  • Items slots added include: Rings, Insignias, More Artifact Slots, Pets, Uru Forged Items, Relics and Legendary Items. Also, medals, costumes cores and loot in general have been improved.
  • Added new, more powerful item rarities, such as Cosmics and Uniques.
  • Added Rune System, which allows you to add powerful Rune Words and Enchantments to certain items.
  • New vendors and NPCs like the Enchanter, allowing you to further personalize your gear stats.

GBD7IpM.png

• Retooled all boss encounters. Many monster affixes have been eliminated or redone. Others have been added.
  • Some Boss Specific Loot, that allows you to fine tune your hero or even add unique stats and abilities to it.
  • Unique items range in the hundreds now, including some community designed ones.
  • Many new crafting recipes, for example, one to turn repeated Unique items into other items or currencies.
  • New Zones and game modes:
    1. Several small side mission areas.
    2. Queens Banks Heist starting area.
    3. Cosmic Terminals: new repeatable terminals with enhanced rewards.
    4. SHIELD Training Room with dummies to test your DPS at any level.
    5. Midtown Manhattan Patrol: Open area; great for farming/leveling.
    6. X-Defense mode: wave based survival mode for large parties.
    7. Story Chapter 9, which includes Norway and Asgard with a new final boss battle and a chest reward you can open daily for free loot.
    8. Shield Holo-Sim: Wave based small simulation room for 1 or 2 players.
    9. One Shot Stories: Enhanced Terminals which offer shorter, unique repeatable missions.
    SPFdTSe.png

• Test Center Added: where you can test upcoming patches and try different heroes before they go live.
  • 2 New difficulty modes for story mode: Heroic and Superheroic, unlocked at levels 25 and 45 respectively.
  • Prestige mode: prestige at level 60 and start your leveling over. You get some perks for doing this.
  • Synergy System: owning and leveling several heroes provides small customizable stat boosts to your active hero.

7ZN1lR2.png

• Legendary Quests, which provide a very large XP reward, together with Odin Marks which can be exchanged for:
  • Legendary Items that level up with you, and artifact blessings.
  • Hero Level 52 design reviews. This means every hero from last year has been or will be redesigned completely, giving him a new signature ability at level 30 and a redone Ultimate ability at level 52. All of these reviews feature new animations and effects.
  • Team Ups: Similar to Mercenaries in Diablo 2, but featuring many known (and not so known) Marvel heroes, including some that are already playable. They have their own Inventory which can be shared globally. (You get the inventory even if you don't purchase one)

pRqE9Ke.png

• New heroes and tons of new Costumes, including special enhanced costumes with new voice acting.
  • Many Weekly events which offer unique items and daily rewards, such as currencies and XP, or Item find boosts.
  • Sales. Most notably: BOGO (Buy one get one) whcih is a very good way to add to your roster.
  • Lots of other minor stuff that would be too much to list here.
This is the current playable roster (Many more coming this year, including Venom, Magneto, Nova, Rogue, Star Lord and others):

KgRyv4V.png

There must be around 200 costumes now too:

3FheiG6.png

And I haven't even touched on what is coming up soon for the Anniversary Celebration and beyond, starting on June 4:

• Raids
  • Achievements
  • Mac Open Beta
  • Secure Trading
  • Omega System (Similar to Paragon levels system in D3)
  • Daily Shared Quests
  • Login Rewards
  • Free Stash Tab if you login during the Anniversary Week
  • 365 Celebrations gifts, including a free Punisher Costume
  • Many more unannounced stuffs
1235469dsnd.gif

Feel Free to join us in the OT as well =)

Cronen

I need to get back in to this game. Am I able to reset my progress so that I can start from the beginning again?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This game is 80 brazillian percent better than it was at launch, it's really worth a second look for anyone who tried it last year and went "meh" and forgot about it, like I did.

I'm not even really a comics/marvel guy and I find it to be one of the best ARPG's available right now.

I need to get back in to this game. Am I able to reset my progress so that I can start from the beginning again?

When you get a char to 60 you can prestige him to start back at 1

shock33

Trust us, its astronomically better than at launch, my 600+ hours (after I played at launch then dropped it for several months) is testimony to that!

Well....that or how sad I am

Vecks

If you didn't get far last time and want a different starter hero (they changed the starting roster), you'll have to create a new account. If you just want to start over for the sake of it, all the story content is backtrackable.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
We played it when it was launched... for about 1 day. Just didn't click.

That's how I felt, and a lot of other people that are currently playing. It really feels like a different game now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This game is 80 brazillian percent better than it was at launch, it's really worth a second look for anyone who tried it last year and went "meh" and forgot about it, like I did.

I'm not even really a comics/marvel guy and I find it to be one of the best ARPG's available right now.
What about people like me that left even after the eternity splinter update?

TBH I think this game is sort of responsible for why I can't get into MMOs at all proper.

Anoregon

Wis there was a way to reroll

Like restart a character at 1? There is, but you have to get the char to max level first.

What about people like me that left even after the eternity splinter update?

TBH I think this game is sort of responsible for why I can't get into MMOs at all proper.

I'm pretty sure most of the substantial changes came after they added splinters. Splinters were a pretty early change, if I recall correctly.

inky

no delete the character and start over

No, there isn't, but if you haven't purchased anything you can just make a new account and start fresh.

The roster is large and you should be getting new heroes constantly and there are so many of them than I don't see the point. There's also 5 prestige levels to go through the story from 1 to 60 again so I don't really see the point of starting over from scratch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
awesome work on the thread. should have named it Marvel Heroes 2015 since that seems to be the official name now (or soon)

game is so much better than at launch its ridiculous

Anoregon

awesome work on the thread. should have named it Marvel Heroes 2015 since that seems to be the official name now (or soon)

game is so much better than at launch its ridiculous

Yeah, the "2015" re-branding is probably a smart idea, given how lukewarm (and rightfully so) the reception was last year. Brevik's recent comment in an interview about they should have left the beta tag on for 6 months seems pretty spot-on in hindsight.

J-Tier

The game has improved immensely.

I remember constantly criticizing the game and shouting out "What the hell is Gaz thinking? They don't know how to design games." "This game is unbalanced and boring." Etc. Etc.

But...

After playing since launch, I've seen them progressively improve and are always on top of responding to the glaring issues that the community had over the game.

As it is now, Marvel Heroes is an entirely different game from launch and tons of fun.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I would play it if not for two reasons:

1. MMO's feel like a pointless grind to me without a good pvp mode.
2. The game doesn't run all that well on my pc.

LuuKyK

The difference between this game at launch and now is ridiculous.

They completely turned everything around and made so many right decision and changes.

You guys should really try it out again. Its definitely worth a shot. There is so much new content every month (at least one new character) that it just doesn't get boring.

I played a bit during the beta to launch period and it didn't click with me whatsoever. Then I tried it again a few months ago and couldn't keep away from it. I ended up stopping because the only reason I had enough splinters for an extra character were from the bonus splinters your first character gets, and I'm extremely grind averse so by the time I was finished with the main content my motivation kind of petered out. Inventory management was a bit annoying too because of all the crafting items taking up precious space.

Considering how willing they are to just change things around I think I'll give it another go sometime.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I played a bit during the beta to launch period and it didn't click with me whatsoever. Then I tried it again a few months ago and couldn't keep away from it. I ended up stopping because the only reason I had enough splinters for an extra character were from the bonus splinters your first character gets, and I'm extremely grind averse so by the time I was finished with the main content my motivation kind of petered out. Inventory management was a bit annoying too because of all the crafting items taking up precious space.

Considering how willing they are to just change things around I think I'll give it another go sometime.

they increased inventory by 20 slots, there are now team ups (helper heroes that roll with you like the npcs in diablo 3) that have extra inventory aswell, and they are giving away a bank stash next week during the anniversary

Damn, I missed that. That's a good idea, so if any mod could change it I would appreciate it =)

yeah if a mod could just add 2015 after Marvel Heroes, leave the rest the same. it will be the official name on june 4th, they are treating it as seasons, like sports games

they increased inventory by 20 slots, there are now team ups (helper heroes that roll with you like the npcs in diablo 3) that have extra inventory aswell, and they are giving away a bank stash next week during the anniversary
Cool, I'll be sure to log in for that.

I want to give it another go. Game was fun but the amount of work it seemed to take to unlock a single hero really pissed me off.

I don't want to play as Storm for a big amount of hours just so I can get something cool.

I played and finished the campaign as Storm soon after launch. At the time, getting another hero was a nuisance because the other free starter heroes you got were meh and the nice ones cost too much. And the game had a ton of other problems that just caused me to drop it. This was a few weeks before they added eternity splinters. I think killing Dr. Doom now gives you enough to pick a new hero of your choice? Is there any way this is retroactive for people who have already finished before the patch?

Wallach

I played and finished the campaign as Storm soon after launch. At the time, getting another hero was a nuisance because the other free starter heroes you got were meh and the nice ones cost too much. And the game had a ton of other problems that just caused me to drop it. This was a few weeks before they added eternity splinters. I think killing Dr. Doom now gives you enough to pick a new hero of your choice? Is there any way this is retroactive for people who have already finished before the patch?

It's not retroactive, no. The starter heroes have changed though, and there's now more of them, so it might be worth your time to just make a new account. I think these are still the current starters:

L0BJmVW.jpg

im gonna end up playing all of em but what starter would be good for a beginner like me granted i have experience with Diablo esque games already

KePoW

Banned

What Wallach said, I would start a new account since there a lot more starter heroes to pick from now. And you'll get all the bonus splinters from being the story.

Rhaknar

im gonna end up playing all of em but what starter would be good for a beginner like me granted i have experience with Diablo esque games already

you can only choose 1 starter for your account, its not like you can delete it and then choose another. by the time you finish story mode (just on normal difficulty) you should have enough for 1 more, depending on who you want.

for a new player, in my opinion, the best choice is using random hero boxes, which are the cheapest option (175 splinters instead of the cheapest hero that costs 200), unless you really want to play a specific hero of course

inky

What kind of character do you enjoy playing most? (Melee, Ranged, Mixed, Summoner, etc.)

I would love to play it but there's STILL on mac client. FAQs have been saying that it's coming since March.

Ya, they've taken their time with it. Open Beta is supposedly next week so it's not long now.

fuck it ill pick torch
i prefer fire type characters anyways
edit:mix of melee and ranged
i cant stand summoner characters unless i like the character

KePoW

Banned

Torch and Storm are AoE beasts. Hawkeye as well to an extent.

For melee, Colossus and Luke Cage are awesome.

Top Bottom