• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break a movie by pointing out impossibilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_z

It always bugged me how Iron Man never suffers negative effects from change in velocity. Just because his suit can withstand a impact that sends him flying 500 ft away doesn't mean his body would be able to withstand the sudden acceleration or deceleration. He's just human.

If that bugs you then the flash will drive you mad. If the flash tried to save someone by moving them out of the way of danger they would instantly turn into a bloody mist due to the extreme forces.

He does not reverse the Earth's rotation, he's flying faster than the speed of light, thus going back in time.

Hah! trumped by science! :)

I never understood why in any piece of fiction moving fast such as the Flash or Superman would reverse time. THe faster you go, the more time dilation effects you, in other words if you had a clock with you when running at Superman speeds, it would run slower than if it was at a standstill. So in this case, if he was moving really fast say for a year or something, 10 or so years could have passed on earth (that's not the actual math, but just an example. There is some formula they theorized for it though and it's an exponential increase the closer you get to the speed of light.)

In other words, you are basically travelling to the future than travel back in time, since the passage of time is increasing relative to you.

Goo

The Matrix.

Neo grabs invisible ropes when jumping away from the train tracks at the end of the subway fight scene.

I think he does it in the dojo scene as well.

Malreyn

Films obviously require some suspension of disbelief.

2. Man of Steel. Zod's imprisonment and release. How come Zod and his male soldiers show obvious visible aging with grey hair, yet Faora and the other ladies still look delicious as summer Barbecue even though 30 years has passed for all involved?

You ever see Bram Stokers Dracula? The scene where Johnathan
gets "sucked dry" by female vampires
and goes from full black hair to looking frail and full gray hair in a really short amount of time? Zod + Faora and 30 years? Yeah, totally possible!

Log4Girlz

In the original script, they were being used a organic computation device, which made much more sense. Not that it's hard.

Would have been more interesting if the robots were misinterpreting some fundamental rule, like always keep humans safe.

Brakke

Banned
I never understood why in any piece of fiction moving fast such as the Flash or Superman would reverse time. THe faster you go, the more time dilation effects you, in other words if you had a clock with you when running at Superman speeds, it would run slower than if it was at a standstill. So in this case, if he was moving really fast say for a year or something, 10 or so years could have passed on earth (that's not the actual math, but just an example. There is some formula they theorized for it though and it's an exponential increase the closer you get to the speed of light.)

In other words, you are basically travelling to the future than travel back in time, since the passage of time is increasing relative to you.

Naw, you're assuming light speed is an asymptote. Supes goes *faster* than light. Your next search query should be "tachyon".

Well the first answer is "lol comics". However, in a relativistic system, going faster than light is equivalent to time travel.

Back to The Future:

If your son grew up to look EXACTLY like the coolest guy in high school, the guy who invented skateboarding and rock n' roll, would you not assume your wife had had sex with that guy and the kid wasn't yours?

(Stolen from a friend of mine)

Except Marty isn't the oldest. He has can older brother (and I think the sister is too).

Not to mention the fact that they hung out with 50s Marty about 30 years ago...for a week. Then never saw him again. They likely don't remember what he looked like EXACTLY and their memory won't be perfect.

So the only way there's a plot hole is if we assume Marty's parents had a photographic memory...and that George fathered the first two kids but then assumed that Loraine inexplicably cheated on him with a guy they hadn't seen for at least ten to fifteen years.

Hell the whole premise is screwed. Fun but screwed. Ok you have Gizmo which is this lovable little guy yet every goddamn fur ball released from his body when wet are fucking assholes. How the hell is that possible?

When I was little I determined that Gizmo was born naturally and that the evil ones were only born by breaking the rules.

Naw, you're assuming light speed is an asymptote. Supes goes *faster* than light. Your next search query should be "tachyon".

Well if you ever found a search query saying that tachyons aren't just hypothetical or aren't basically used as sci-fi macguffins, I wouldn't mind a link.

Chopper

AFAIK Marty wasn't born in 1956.
What?

Except Marty isn't the oldest. He has can older brother (and I think the sister is too).

Not to mention the fact that they hung out with 50s Marty about 30 years ago...for a week. Then never saw him again. They likely don't remember what he looked like EXACTLY and their memory won't be perfect.

So the only way there's a plot hole is if we assume Marty's parents had a photographic memory...and that George fathered the first two kids but then assumed that Loraine inexplicably cheated on him with a guy they hadn't seen for at least ten to fifteen years.
It might have been a week, but it was an unforgettable week, surely. This guy hounded George for days, and Lorraine was totally obsessed with him. And even if these guys were stupid enough to forget his face, I'm not sure Biff would forget the guy that buried him in manure.

The Dark Knight Rises-The time of day is inconsistent during certain scenes.

Gonna feel stupid for defending this but i think i know why. Most of the film was filmed in NY during fall/winter. It gets pitch black around 4pm during those months. It happens so quick you'll barely notice it. That plus strict filming schedules, it's understandable why some scenes might look a little off.

Brakke

Banned
Well if you ever found a search query saying that tachyons aren't just hypothetical or aren't basically used as sci-fi macguffins, I wouldn't mind a link.

Well yes it is in fact a fictional super hero movie. Krypton isn't f'sure real, but the existence of Supes isn't a plothole. It's the plot.

What?

It might have been a week, but it was an unforgettable week, surely. This guy hounded George for days, and Lorraine was totally obsessed with him. And even if these guys were stupid enough to forget his face, I'm not sure Biff would forget the guy that buried him in manure.

It was still one week 30 years prior - they've moved on with their lives. It wasn't like he was a childhood friend they spent years around.

I didn't say they forgot his face, I said they don't have a photographic memory. They spent years together, had kids. Marty wasn't born looking like he does when he travels back in time. George, Loraine, even Biff would have been around while he's growing up. They'd just look at him and think "That's Marty." Biff apparently had a complete personality switch in the intervening years (probably became more humble once he realized he couldn't bully his way through life.)

You can remember someone without exactly remembering what they look like. They have a general idea of "Marty's" appearance, but they don't associate it with 'Marty'.

So again, not a plot hole.

Nolan's Batman...

Just think of everything noteworthy and cool about BatMan and strip it away until all you have is a rich dude who knows punchy punch moves.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What?

It was still one week 30 years prior - they've moved on with their lives. It wasn't like he was a childhood friend they spent years around.

I didn't say they forgot his face, I said they don't have a photographic memory. They spent years together, had kids. Marty wasn't born looking like he does when he travels back in time. George, Loraine, even Biff would have been around while he's growing up. They'd just look at him and think "That's Marty." Biff apparently had a complete personality switch in the intervening years (probably became more humble once he realized he couldn't bully his way through life.)

You can remember someone without exactly remembering what they look like. They have a general idea of "Marty's" appearance, but they don't associate it with 'Marty'.

So again, not a plot hole.
Look at it this way. What if, what if, Biff and George and Lorraine all remembered Marty's face. Then one day, possibly years before the 1985 time travel incident, one or all three of them suddenly realize he's starting to look a lot like this guy they used to know. One day he's the spitting image. What's going to happen when one of them, possibly George, decides to ask him why he resembles this guy they all met 30 years before. Marty would have no idea what they meant because he wouldn't have even done the trip yet, nor would he even know Doc, if he'd even met him yet, had a time machine. What if say Biff became hell bent on finding out the truth. Even though Marty had plausible deniability, in which he literally knows nothing of what they're talking about, I'm sure Biff wouldn't take that as an answer. Or even George. Or all three of them, suddenly, deciding to get to the bottom of things.

How much would that have messed things up? Maybe so much that Marty never meets Doc through some way or another. Which would then in turn cause the whole trip to never happen. Which would in turn mean they never meet Marty in 1955. Which would mean they'd never confront him. Which would mean he'd still go back in time. Which would mean they'd remember his face. Which would mean it'd become a huge time loop paradox! You know, one of those things that can destroy the universe! It would be majorly heavy indeed.

What if hypothetically someone took a picture of him with George, Lorraine or Biff, or even alone, possibly while on stage (Good thing no one had cameraphones or polaroid cameras back then) and somehow it surfaced again, proving that it was indeed Marty there. Their minds would explode with fuck. And of course, they'd confront him years before he even went back in time and wouldn't have any idea.

Or maybe they'd all just write it off as a crazy random happenstance. Except Biff who would get really suspicious after the events of the beginning of the second movie when he sees a mysterious flying DeLorean and eventually pieces it together that Doc had a flying car and Marty hung out with him and somehow Doc must have a time machine because of the photograph he found from 1955.

The only problem is why Marty wouldn't have any new memories of his newly changed richer family. Or of Biff being a nice guy now. Since obviously Biff knows and is good friends with Marty in this alternate 1955-1985 timeline. But somehow Marty doesn't have any new memories. Seeing as he's completely taken aback by all the changes to his life. Technically when Marty changed his future for the better, he should have disappeared and been replaced with a better Marty with a better life, and possibly one who never hangs out with Doc. Which would once again create another temporal loop paradox!

Of course, it could all be just a movie.
You wouldn't believe how much time I used to spend on the BTTF.com forums back in the day.

Great Scott! The logic in time travel is so flawed and complicated!

Yeah like the wall street scene. It is broad daylight in the beginning, they break out of the place and it is still daylight. Somehow between them leaving the place and batman appearing, it is night time. Always found that odd. Takes a lot more time then 15 minutes for it to be broad daylight turned to pitch black night.

I'm reminded of Transformers, where it starts from before sunset to pitch dark in about two minutes.

Lego Movie:
The kid was erasing faces and gluing folks for the sake of telling his tale all before his father came down who only got the idea because his son was touching his shit.

The Croods: Humans got the shit end of the evolution stick.

Paganmoon

The weirdest part to me is that he time travels and then doesn't bother stopping the rocket in the first place.

He just goes and rescues Lois.

haha, yeah, that always irked when I watched the movie, then again, since he travelled back in time, wouldn't there be two Supes now, one stops the rockets, the other goes hangs out with Lois, but then you get the time-paradox, so yeah, there we go, that breaks the movie.

Flying faster then light would make you go forward in time no? You stop aging while everything else speeds up.

Moving close to the speed of light causes time dilation you "travel to the future", moving faster than the speed of light (if you could), would cause you to go back in time instead (Tachyons), the maths is there, but sure it's not possible in our world (since you cannot ever reach the speed of light, due to physics, you cannot go faster), but in the world Supes exists, it works. We're talking about an alien, who can fly, can't be killed etc, I think granting him the powers of super-light speed isn't too far stretched :)

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Back to The Future:

If your son grew up to look EXACTLY like the coolest guy in high school, the guy who invented skateboarding and rock n' roll, would you not assume your wife had had sex with that guy and the kid wasn't yours?

(Stolen from a friend of mine)

Okay. This is probably the only slight issue I have with the films. His parents would definitely recognize his face to look exactly like Calvin's. George would not be a happy dude.

Marty wasn't conceived on prom night, actually it was years later and had two older siblings. He also went back to the future and was no longer around.

Mindwipe

He does not reverse the Earth's rotation, he's flying faster than the speed of light, thus going back in time.

Hah! trumped by science! :)

The relativistic effects of Clark hitting lightspeed giving him infinite mass would still kill everyone on Earth though.

(And, more obviously, it requires a beyond infinite amount of energy which Clark's solar based powers could never provide.)

But y'know, very few movies work if you get hung up on the rules of energy conservation to that extent.

EDIT: Of course, under the arrow of time scenario as Clark travels backwards he alters the timeline and therefore never has to fly and never kills everyone. But that would still require him to decelerate from faster than lightspeed to *considerably* slower than it instantaneously, which could also not happen.

DiscoJer

In the classic scene of Bullitt, there is no way that Mustang could keep up with that Charger once they got on the highway. Mustangs would top out at about 110-120, the Charger would go 140 or so.

Paganmoon

The relativistic effects of Clark hitting lightspeed giving him infinite mass would still kill everyone on Earth though.

(And, more obviously, it requires a beyond infinite amount of energy which Clark's solar based powers could never provide.)

But y'know, very few movies work if you get hung up on the rules of energy conservation to that extent.

EDIT: Of course, under the arrow of time scenario as Clark travels backwards he alters the timeline and therefore never has to fly and never kills everyone. But that would still require him to decelerate from faster than lightspeed to *considerably* slower than it instantaneously, which could also not happen.

All true, but of course, this is a world where a guy is shooting lasers out of his eyes, so yeah :)

Mindwipe

All true, but of course, this is a world where a guy is shooting lasers out of his eyes, so yeah :)

I wonder sometimes if DC will ever retcon Superman's power set to be based on getting energy on a quantum level from other universes (presumably destroying them in the process), but this ability requires some level of solar power to start as a catalyst.

It would at least make it sound a bit more plausible. Ish.

Dali

Sixth Sense - Bruce doesn't need eat, drink, shit, piss, touch anything, interact with anyone besides his wife for months and doesn't notice it.
IIRC it's clearly stated in the movie. They see what they want and they don't know they are dead.

zeemumu

The Happening-Staying locked inside that house shouldn't have protected them. It's not like an old wooden house is airtight.

The Ruins- There's no reason for those vines to kill people. They seem pretty content with staying on the temple without food or water for extended periods of time, and for some reason the locals have decided to guard the site forever instead of burning the vines, which would leave the temple unharmed since it's made of stone.

Little Shop of Horrors-Audrey II shouldn't be able to support the weight of its giant penis-shaped head on that size of stem.

The Descent-Those things should either be severely emaciated and unable to kill anything their own size, or if they actually had a steady diet of cave explorers, the sheer amount of people missing should have prompted someone to check out the cave.

IT-no doctor or pharmacist would approve a prescription for a fake inhaler full of water to convince your son that he has asthma.

Tower of Terror-gaining access to books of arcane magic in early 1900's Hollywood seems unlikely.

The Cave-The ending just didn't make any sense. I didn't want to spoil it here.

The Wolverine(Because of post below)-Fighting on top of a bullet train doesn't work like that, or at all. And without his healing factor, Wolverine wouldn't be able to function under the stress of his incredibly heavy metal skeleton.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine-Wolverine should have died after jumping out of that plane because he can't swim due to his incredibly heavy metal skeleton.

CloudWolf

The Wolverine - Logan wouldn't realistically feel obliged to protect the granddaughter of a man he saved 60 years ago.
Which again proves that the bad guy had a far too difficult plan when he could've just kidnapped Wolverine in the first ten minutes of the movie

Looper. Everything that happens in the movie.

The real plothole:
How can Joe / Old Joe be the reason the Rainmaker exists and is killing every Looper before his/her time when he (Rainmaker) exists in the timeline where Old Joe never went back in time to stop the Rainmaker from existing? It's a paradox, unless the Rainmaker will always exist and none of the actions in the movie were of importance.

Ifrit

The Dark Knight

The Joker shows up at Bruce's party for Harvey Dent. The Joker drops Rachel off the window, Batman jumps to catch her. They fall on a car. "Are you okay?" "Yeah." End of scene.

What happened to all the people that were at the party? Batman left them alone with the fucking Joker. This is never explained or mentioned again.

Yeah I noticed that the first time I watched the movie, really bothered me

Odoul

I'm rewatching Pacific Rim.

Now I enjoy the movie. And it's not exactly crippling but...

*The two pilots share ALL memories no secrets.

*Close relationships make it easier.

One of the teams is father and son. That means the one guy has memories of every nut his father ever busted, potentially even the one that made him!

If a sequel ever gets made I hope it's pointed out just how weird that makes relationships. Parents/kids, siblings, even couples that's TMI.

zeemumu

I'm rewatching Pacific Rim.

Now I enjoy the movie. And it's not exactly crippling but...

*The two pilots share ALL memories no secrets.

*Close relationships make it easier.

One of the teams is father and son. That means the one guy has memories of every nut his father ever busted, potentially even the one that made him!

If a sequel ever gets made I hope it's pointed out just how weird that makes relationships. Parents/kids, siblings, even couples that's TMI.

I think robot chicken parodied this.

Why would it need to access your memories if the only reason for having two pilots is to share the neural load?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Lego Movie:
The kid was erasing faces and gluing folks for the sake of telling his tale all before his father came down who only got the idea because his son was touching his shit.

Nope.
The father is already planning to do it, which is why he has so many tubes of Krazy Glue stocked up. The kid is acting out his reaction to the dad's plan.

The Dark Knight:

When Bruce reconstructs the bullet and gets the fingerprint, he then cross-references the possible matches with addresses on the memorial route. Why would that connection make sense? The fingerprint could be from some random thug in joker's crew, his identity, and addresses on the route should have no relevant connection whatsoever.

Also, Gordon fake-dying, how did he know how joker would try to kill the mayor? How could he have planned to fake his death like that? Was it just spur of the moment I took the bullet to my vest let me pretend to be dead or what? Also him being the driver of the prison transport was ridiculous. He went through all that trouble faking his death, just to put himself in the riskiest possible situation on the planet just to be like "surprise bitch" and see the look on joker's face.

The Dark Knight Rises:

How the hell did Bruce get stronger after having his back broken and treated in a literal third world hell hole?

Inception:

Why does hooking yourself up to the machine within a dream allow you to create a dream within a dream? It's a fake machine, why bother?

Honestly most Nolan movies have severe plot holes that are ultimately necessary to push whatever cool premise he's trying to create, (Memento, Inception). In those instances I can forgive it since I get why he's doing it. Batman though shouldn't really have had those issues.

One of my fav films of all time, but I never did figure out how, in An American Werewolf In London, after the amazing transformation scene, he gets out of the apartment? I noticed watching it again that when he is outside the apartment then walks back in just before he changes, he leaves the door open. But I would assume he'd close it during the day...

The Dark Knight Rises:

How the hell did Bruce get stronger after having his back broken and treated in a literal third world hell hole?

This bugged me so much. It's best just to go "lol back punches make batman strong" than to think about it. It's one of the most nonsensical things I've seen in years simply due to the fact that's so glaring. I mean it doesn't even take a moderate level of intelligence to know that a broken back is not something you just bounce back from.

Apath

The Descent-Those things should either be severely emaciated and unable to kill anything their own size, or if they actually had a steady diet of cave explorers, the sheer amount of people missing should have prompted someone to check out the cave.
They regularly leave their cave to catch wild animals for food. Not that it really matters though, because they are really frail. Those girls over power them one on one, but die when their throats are slashed open or they get over whelmed. Most of the deaths were due to the girls not being able to see or being ambushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom