• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

if Sony creates triple bundles with LBP3 bundle, Destiny Bundle, and a GTA V bundle they can cruise through the holidays

Yup, they've got it pretty much set. I don't see how MS can combat that unless they get really aggressive with price cuts. And even then, I think the Ps4 will still easily outsell it (especially WW).

i am going to assume far cry 4 in nov if we go by your theory but most likely we will see gta bundle in november to counter any MS bundle that comes with cod or master chief bundle. far cry 4 has some heavy promotion going on with playstation too so we shall see what happens but Sony seems to be covered pretty well with destiny, gta and far cry for 2014. then early 2015 could be batman and order or bloodborne bundles or even mgs 5!

imagine if they just bundle any of these games for free and sell bundle for 399 they should all do really well for the holidays and maybe even throw in a digital version of one of their first party games like driveclub or something .

Yea, totally forgot about Farcry 4 having exclusive marketing. And definitely, they're going to go strong into 2015, and late 2015 will no doubt be packed (with UC4 finally coming out). They've pretty much got this whole gen on lockdown and, imo, they seem to have spread their games out very, very well.

The complimentary console point was true of the GameCube; especially since it was a cheap price ($99). Still ended up in third. And that was with much better third party support than what the Wii U is getting. I can't see the Wii U going to $200 or less anytime soon due to the gamepad alone. That's the problem; it's a secondary console that's priced as a primary console.

True, price is the biggest issue. If Nintendo could get an MK8 bundle out at $250 for the Holidays, coupled with Smash, I think they could do very, very well. But yea, I'm not saying it'll happen, just that it's a possibility (and to think, a year ago I never would have entertained such an outlandish possibility). A $250 MK8 bundle could definitely go toe-to-toe against the X1 during the Holidays, but I doubt Nintendo will take the hit.

cakely

image.php

Sorry if this is sort of unrelated, but what does it signify when you quote a user avatar pic? I see it from time to time on GAF and I never know what it's supposed to mean.

IN&OUT

Banned
Sony ending this gen 1st place would put them at an all time record for most successful console manufacturer.

5th gen: 1st place.
6th gen: 1st place.
7th gen: 2nd place.
8th gen: 1st place.

Compare that to MS:

6th gen: 2nd place.
7th gen: 3rd place.
8th gen: 2nd place.

Nintendo:

3rd gen: 1st place
4th gen: 1st place
5th gen: 2nd place
6th gen: 3rd place
7th gen: 1st place
8th gen: 3rd place

onQ123

The craziest thing about how fast the PS4 is selling is that it could be at over 25 million before Sony even release any of it's go to system sellers.

No Gran Turismo in sight

No God of War in sight

Uncharted will be the 1st well known "System Seller" from Sony on the PS4 & that's coming maybe at the end of next year when PS4 is most likely to have already sold over 25 million.

The craziest thing about how fast the PS4 is selling is that it could be at over 25 million before Sony even release any of it's go to system sellers.

No Gran Turismo in sight

No God of War in sight

Uncharted will be the 1st well known "System Seller" from Sony on the PS4 & that's coming maybe at the end of next year when PS4 is most likely to have already sold over 25 million.

UC4 is gonna sell super well. I think it has a very good shot at outselling Halo 5.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the next GT performs after 6 kinda failed (well, in GT standards)

No Gran Turismo in sight

No God of War in sight

GT7 is going to dominate EU. I'm guessing 2016 for GT7.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sorry if this is sort of unrelated, but what does it signify when you quote a user avatar pic? I see it from time to time on GAF and I never know what it's supposed to mean.
It can mean many things, but its usually a relation between whats being said and what the avatar shows. For example, if you had written something where you said that you were scared or worried about something, someone could have replied with your avatar because that guy in your avatar looks scared or worried.

Or in the case with the army guy avatar, i assume that it was to show a surprise reaction to what was said about PS4 getting a pricedrop next year (the army guy has a surprise look on his face).

Xis

It can also be used to expose bias; for example if someone posts that they think "The Last of Us" sucks and their avatar is Mario.

jholmes

Still selling well in Canada with the price increase due to the Canadian $

I don't know that we have Canada-specific numbers. I can tell you anecdotally that some people were put off by the price jump at any rate. Buying a PS4 plus a game went from $460 to $520 (plus tax) overnight.

You might argue it's neither here nor there of course, but if Sony were feeling so charitable it wouldn't have pounced on some huge price hikes in Canada the way it did. Just my point of view.

I don't know that we have Canada-specific numbers. I can tell you anecdotally that some people were put off by the price jump at any rate. Buying a PS4 plus a game went from $460 to $520 (plus tax) overnight.

You might argue it's neither here nor there of course, but if Sony were feeling so charitable it wouldn't have pounced on some huge price hikes in Canada the way it did. Just my point of view.

In the NPD thread It was mentioned that PS4 is selling really well more than the competition but yeah we don't have anything specific on numbers.

Cyborg

No System seller games? What an nonsense! You have a more powerful console with better fps and graphics!
And a lot of games to play....I realy enjoy PS4. A great value

You can get the destiny bundle for 470.

Considering the ps4 is 450 here and destiny is 70, it's a hell of a deal.

FleetFeet

I think he Ps4 is going to gain massive momentum next year, with a price drop looking more likely, I see a very affordable project morpheus bundle next fall. I think that is going to take this console to another level, even though it's just utterly dominating currently.

Takao

Banned
The PlayStation handheld family was a lot closer to 3DS this quarter than I ever would've expected. Too bad that's largely a result of 3DS declining as the numbers themselves are nothing special.

Sony ending this gen 1st place would put them at an all time record for most successful console manufacturer.

7th gen: 2nd place.

Compare that to MS:
7th gen: 3rd place.

Do we have accurate numbers on that? I have read conflicting things on which one is ahead...and the main thing I seem to conclude is they seem about tied worldwide (360 way ahead in US, PS3 way ahead in Japan/EU). And I remember reading the 360 got to 80 million before the PS3. http://gamerant.com/playstation-3-sales-80-million/
The PlayStation 3 did in fact surpass the Xbox 360 earlier this year, but Microsoft recovered and their console count reached 80 million units last month.

I haven't seen much mentioned on this since last year (once the new consoles arrived), and now we've been getting combined numbers from both Sony and MS...makes interpretation a bit more tricky, I'm sure. I guess it doesn't matter too much as I think it's an accomplishment for both companies: 360 for doing so well coming off of the Xbox after the PS2 did so well; and PS3 for recovering so well and turning things around so drastically to make it into a really great system.

cakely

It can mean many things, but its usually a relation between whats being said and what the avatar shows. For example, if you had written something where you said that you were scared or worried about something, someone could have replied with your avatar because that guy in your avatar looks scared or worried.

Or in the case with the army guy avatar, i assume that it was to show a surprise reaction to what was said about PS4 getting a pricedrop next year (the army guy has a surprise look on his face).

Ok, thanks. One more GAF mystery solved for me.

Well, that's Verendus (not the avatar, that's Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder). Who's been known to have some accurate Sony insight from time to time. So in that case it might not be a reflection of the avatar so much as who said it.

Teletraan1

Banned

Anecdotally I was more pissed off that they actually held stock in the back rooms and claimed it was sold out until the price drop went into effect. I only got my PS4 at 399 in Canada because someone made a mistake. The employees were hauling them back into the stock room as I was at the checkout at my local Walmart.

Bitanator

is that .75m sold or just shipped? I can see the PSTV getting a fairly good initial shipment, plus the new model Vitas. I don't know how it works

Mory Dunz

Last quarter:

Wii U 510k
PSP/Vita 750k

Wii U is selling like complete shit in PAL region.

Yeah, but isn't the Vita as well? I know this is software and only the UK, but software ties into who's selling hardware, and I'm pretty sure the UK is the Wii U's worst, or close to worst, PAL country

gibv2QZ.png

(Disregarding the MK boost, they both seem to be in the pit)

Then obviously Vita is doing a lot better in Japan and Wii U is doing better in NPD.
But judging by the charts for each country in each PAL thread, I can't see one doing a lot better than the other.

Someone did some math earlier...

EDIT:
Found it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123434156&postcount=188

He didn't do PSP sales, but still, if Japan is Vita's best territory how could Europe have covered anywhere close to that amount?

EDIT2:
Basically, the Vita sold 190,000 during that time in Japan and 89,000 in NPD.
There's 471,000 left to account for with only Vita Europe, the 35K of PSP in Japan, and whatever likely negligible PSP sales WW. I'm not sure it could be much higher than 35K.
See what I mean about the .75?

Raist

Banned
Do we have accurate numbers on that? I have read conflicting things on which one is ahead...and the main thing I seem to conclude is they seem about tied worldwide (360 way ahead in US, PS3 way ahead in Japan/EU). And I remember reading the 360 got to 80 million before the PS3. http://gamerant.com/playstation-3-sales-80-million/

I haven't seen much mentioned on this since last year (once the new consoles arrived), and now we've been getting combined numbers from both Sony and MS...makes interpretation a bit more tricky, I'm sure. I guess it doesn't matter too much as I think it's an accomplishment for both companies: 360 for doing so well coming off of the Xbox after the PS2 did so well; and PS3 for recovering so well and turning things around so drastically to make it into a really great system.

The gap, if there's any (either way) is likely so little it doesn't really matter, and might change on a monthly basis anyway.

Mory Dunz

I still can't believe that PSV out shipped WiiU by that much despite MK8 and was so close to 3DS.

Is it possible EU is PSV's best sector?

I really don't think so. Vita games never seem to chart and that graph I just posted shows that in the UK, the Wii U and Vita seemed pretty close if you don't take MK into account.

It'd be a lot easier if we had HW numbers, but Japan is far and away Vita's best territory, and in my eariler post I explained how much Europe would have to make up to reach that .75 figure. It's impossible.

If they did overship, by how much I wonder...

Salex_

Very very good for the first year.
2015 will be a MONSTER year.
Starts with The Order: 1886 and BLOODBORNE

Rachet & Clank is suppose to come out in the first half of 2015 along with the movie as well. Surprised we haven't seen or heard anything since that E3 blog post. I'm still not sure if it's a remake or remastered for PS4 graphics.

One year ago? No, Sony and MS already did their announcements, we were in full DRM shitstorm and anyone could foresee this. Actually it's better than many people thought.

Two years ago though? Yep, it would have been a completely laughable forecast.
Yeah...even AFTER the DRM-always-online shitstorm, there was still a baffling number of my friends who were geared up for Xbox One purchases.

Vashetti

Banned
Rachet & Clank is suppose to come out in the first half of 2015 along with the movie as well. Surprised we haven't seen or heard anything since that E3 blog post. I'm still not sure if it's a remake or remastered for PS4 graphics.

It's a complete remake.

Re imagining of the first game. Probably going to change so it reflects the movie's plot more.

I'm guessing gamescom?

Top Bottom