• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash of Clans |OT|

JNA

Banned
Welp, just started. According to one of the wiki guides I looked up, the first thing I should for pretty much the first 48 hours is upgrade my resource buildings like Gold Mine, Gold Storage, etc.

Also it's apparently a good idea to upgrade most if not all of my buildings to max level before I upgrade my town hall level, is there a reason for that?

should I also just start doing some campaign missions or just hold off on that until I get more upgraded buildings?

Welp, just started. According to one of the wiki guides I looked up, the first thing I should for pretty much the first 48 hours is upgrade my resource buildings like Gold Mine, Gold Storage, etc.

Also it's apparently a good idea to upgrade most if not all of my buildings to max level before I upgrade my town hall level, is there a reason for that?

should I also just start doing some campaign missions or just hold off on that until I get more upgraded buildings?

The main thing is that if your defenses suck people will attack you constantly and steal your shit.

Campaign isn't really important. The real money is in attacking other players.

Arondight

Yes. In the early townhall levels, upgrading resource buildings can help a lot but most of your resources should come from raiding. When you get to TH6-7 Barching is the only method you should be using to attack. Highly efficient and effective.

The reason to max every time before you upgrade is when you raid 1 lvl th below you, you get only 90% of possible resources. It gets much harder and harder to get resources the higher you lvl. A lot of people say th 8 is where it starts to get really difficult.

Personally, I just upgraded to th7 straight up and spend time maxing everything out (nearly done that). It's been incredibly easy.

Would also put Th outside. Benefits outweigh losing trophies you can easily win back

Campaign is good for winning the 50 gems to help get the builders. any more than that is a waste of resources because the defenses get really tough quickly and you start spending more resources than what you'll earn back from it.

Only spend gems on builders since thats the only way you can get them while everything else you can save up to get.

you definitely can't get 4 workers in a month lol..
Agreed. It took me like 3/4 of a semester to save up for it.

The main thing is that if your defenses suck people will attack you constantly and steal your shit.

Campaign isn't really important. The real money is in attacking other players.

Yeah and this. Basically, it's easy picking for higher lvl players if you upgrade to fast.

I started playing early August and got my 4th builder about a week ago, so it takes roughly 2 months to get 1500 gems. I spent a few on boosts when they were having the sales though (probably 15-20 gems), so that slowed it down a bit.

JNA

Banned
Yes. In the early townhall levels, upgrading resource buildings can help a lot but most of your resources should come from raiding. When you get to TH6-7 Barching is the only method you should be using to attack. Highly efficient and effective.

The reason to max every time before you upgrade is when you raid 1 lvl th below you, you get only 90% of possible resources. It gets much harder and harder to get resources the higher you lvl. A lot of people say th 8 is where it starts to get really difficult.

Personally, I just upgraded to th7 straight up and spend time maxing everything out (nearly done that). It's been incredibly easy.

Would also put Th outside. Benefits outweigh losing trophies you can easily win back

Campaign is good for winning the 50 gems to help get the builders. any more than that is a waste of resources because the defenses get really tough quickly and you start spending more resources than what you'll earn back from it.

Only spend gems on builders since thats the only way you can get them while everything else you can save up to get.

Agreed. It took me like 3/4 of a semester to save up for it.

Yeah and this. Basically, it's easy picking for higher lvl players if you upgrade to fast.

I did plan on making defenses and all that stuff in the last 24 hours of my Sheild time. Should I plan that eariler? And any advice on what kind of defenses I should do after my shield time is up?

Also should I be making more gold mines/elixir collectors or wait to max just the 1s I have?

broz0rs

if you level up your town hall, you will get less loot from players who are lower level than you are. You will also get your base rating increased so you will encounter a lot more players with very strong armies.

In clash terminology, leveling your town hall before leveling up most of building and walls is called "rushing." Decent clans won't accept players who have rushed town halls because they'll know the player's defenses will be weak. The most obvious sign of rushing is always walls.

JNA

Banned
So far at the time of this post, I have 2 days and 17 hours of shield left with my Gold and Elixer stuff maxed while I have 1 Barracks as level 2 and Army camp still LV 1.

Should I Get another barracks? I feel like I should try to build up my defenses now and buy walls, Cannons, etc.

Any advice thus far?

So far at the time of this post, I have 2 days and 17 hours of shield left with my Gold and Elixer stuff maxed while I have 1 Barracks as level 2 and Army camp still LV 1.

Should I Get another barracks? I feel like I should try to build up my defenses now and buy walls, Cannons, etc.

Any advice thus far?

I'm not sure what you mean by "make defenses."

The troops that you train can only be used for offense when you go and attack. The only troops that will assist you in defense are the troops that are in your Clan Castle. You have to purchase the Clan Castle from the shop menu, then join a clan, then put up a request for your clanmates to donate troops for you. Those troops will sit in your clan castle and will defend your base if it gets attacked. You can also use those troops for offense... when you are attacking, you will see a new icon in your troops section that looks like a clan castle emblem, you can drop this and EVERYTHING in your clan castle will come out on the battlefield wherever you place your finger.

You definitely want to keep upgrading your collectors and buying more collectors. They are generating money 24/7 while you aren't doing anything.

But 90% of your money will come from attacking other bases. Don't sit on your shield just because you have it. Go out and get dat money. The NEXT button is your friend. Hit it as many times as you need to until you find a base that has good resources in their collectors (which are usually on the outside) so you dont have to go inside the base, you can just steal everything from the collectors and get the hell out of their. There are millions of abandoned bases in this game. You just have to keep hitting Next until you find one of them.

There aren't too many mistakes you can make as a newbie, but here are some golden rules:

- Dont spend gems on anything but builders.... for now.
- Don't go to the next town hall until all your defensive buildings are maxed.

Ocho

Any advice thus far?

Always try to build every building you can in your level as soon as possible. If you don't plan on attacking until shield ends, build barracks last. But I suggest you get all buildings on the ground before upgrading your existing ones.

JNA

Banned
Current layout so far:

axIMW8z.jpg

I think I'm getting the hang of it. Well, until I do battles that is. XD (I really do need to get a third builder as soon as possible tho)

JNA

Banned
what i meant is that there are 2 days left

there is no magic shortcut or something :Lol

Oh....XD

And apparantly looking at one of the guides, I already broken a rule where I built more than one storage already when I shouldn't until after about a week playing.

I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass later. :(

Booties

Banned
man, reading the first page of this thread is pretty sad lol... people take this game pretty seriously

i've been playing this for a few months.. its fun trying to save up for more workers... i feel bad for people who spend real money on this (probably explains why the dudes on the first page are so bitter lol)

anyway, got no idea what i'm doing - i pretty much tried to rush town hall upgrades, thinking it was like heroes of might and magic, and now i'm getting fucked up left and right.. still fun though, trying to catch up =[

the key is to never spend gems on anything except workers! Almost on my 4th worker building =D

lol, same

Oh....XD

And apparantly looking at one of the guides, I already broken a rule where I built more than one storage already when I shouldn't until after about a week playing.

I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass later. :(

Nah, thats minor stuff.

You can't really RUIN the game for yourself unless you start going up in town halls before you have everything maxed at your current town hall.

Blowing all your gems on stupid stuff would suck, but it wouldn't ruin the game.

But if you rushed to town hall 10 and you only had TH7 troops/defenses.... i'd tell you to restart the game.

Booties

Banned
I'm gonna try and get the .txt version of SomethingAwful's CoC OP. It is VERY good, and very wordy. I think there is a new DE strat taking over these days which is basically bolt spell the AoE defenses (wiz tower/mortar), WB near the DE, then floor with giants and gobs. Need to watch a few videos.

My favorite thing is to just gem my spell factory and make lightning and hit next until I find a target with like 4k+ DE and just bolt spell it and snipe drills.

JesseZao

Slight correction/addition to that FAQ: You can just hit 'end battle' once a battle starts if you didn't deploy any troops for no penalty.

I don't think you can do this for a clan war battle though, so don't try it.

Booties

Banned
Slight correction/addition to that FAQ: You can just hit 'end battle' once a battle starts if you didn't deploy any troops for no penalty.

I don't think you can do this for a clan war battle though, so don't try it.

Correct. This is a little bit dated, like we don't really use those layouts anymore. It's being updated at some point but it's a decent noobie farm guide.

Nice post Booties. Someone should update/clean it up/add some GAF flavor and maybe Victory Red can make it into the OP. As of right now the OP is a little barebones (no offense Victory Red).

In other news, I was upgrading both of my Air Defenses at the same time and I got absolutely demolished by a Giant + Healer raid lol. I totally deserved it but thankfully one of my Air Defenses was almost done so it didn't happen again.

Very nice data!

Anyways. I am going to open the clan up for a few days after next war to keep an influx of new blood. Thanks to those putting forth the time to go through and kick the inactive accounts.

Ya no

Just remembered seeing this thread a ways back. I've been playing this game for a while now and still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing... I'm on TH 7 slowly but surely trying to upgrade all my defenses. Here's my base currently:

TT9fi5o.png

Someone told me to put my th in the corner so people attack it and quit instead of going after my resources, which seems to work pretty well. I'm just wondering what you guys think I should upgrade next? I was thinking wizard towers, then tesla, then archer tower and work my way down from he expensive to cheap. Or should I just keep upgrading my walls? (I got so bored of that after i got the perimeter to level 6.

I'll take any suggestions about anything, thanks!

Nuklear

Banned
Do you raid a lot? If so upgrade your offensive bases first then defense.If you have enough resources to stored up some TH8 or higher will steal your shit and your defense will be nothing but speed bump.

Ya no

Do you raid a lot? If so upgrade your offensive bases first then defense.If you have enough resources to stored up some TH8 or higher will steal your shit and your defense will be nothing but speed bump.

I actually just started raiding a lot last week (which has made the game way more fun idk why I hadn't really done that before) so I'll start working on that. I currently have barracks level 8,7,6, and 2 and all my camps are level 5. What would you recommend upgrading first? I pretty much have just been using giants, wall breakers, barbarians and archers for my raids - they're all maxed for my current lab level.

broz0rs

I'll take any suggestions about anything, thanks!

I think your base is weak because the player can get through to your resources with just two wall breaks. Try to add another layer and have your wizard tower behind because by the time the opposing units have busted through the first wall, they'll be clumped which makes your wizard towers extremely effective.

Personally, I think you need to work on walls instead of any other defenses. Try to get pink walls maxed out asap.

Nuklear

Banned
I actually just started raiding a lot last week (which has made the game way more fun idk why I hadn't really done that before) so I'll start working on that. I currently have barracks level 8,7,6, and 2 and all my camps are level 5. What would you recommend upgrading first? I pretty much have just been using giants, wall breakers, barbarians and archers for my raids - they're all maxed for my current lab level.

If you are raiding for resources watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX3qLrPeopQ

Barching is the most effective way to get resources in the game.

Patch notes: A spooookey ghost has taken control of your barracks. Pay 500 gems to gain control.

Heh, doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Must have been my phone screen input glitching out. Thought it was actually a feature from the patch, since its never done that before.

JesseZao

Ilúvatar;135672049 said:
Seeing as there is no Boom Beach thread... is anyone playing Boom Beach?

I downloaded it. I like the idea of a base with one side to defend, but I don't have the patience to play more than one of these types of games. Clash of Clans is like the LoL of this genre: I'm just not going to start playing another one.

Ilúvatar;135672049 said:

I've been playing it for about a month. HQ 12. We should start a GAF clan (can't remember the actual name) that they just added in the new patch, if we have enough players I wouldn't mind trying that out.

broz0rs

Nice war win, GAF. Our attendance was excellent and the win was a breeze because of it.

Just an FYI to the newer players that the biggest threat to your entire attack is going to be the opposing clan castle. A few wizards can wipe out your entire line of giants if you clump them. They will die before they hit the wall if the clan castle is alerted.

Take a look at replays of our top guys or YouTube vids of how to bait out clan castle units and take them out asap before you launch your attack on the opposing base.

All of my defense weapons are now fully upgraded at TH 7. I've almost maxed all of my traps too; just need to upgrade a few more Bombs and that's it. Half of my collectors are level 11, so I'm bringing in some nice passive income. The biggest expenses left are the elixir costs for my remaining Laboratory upgrades (Rage spell costs 1.8 million alone) and of course upgrading all of my walls, which I'm saving for last. I haven't even began the process of collecting dark elixir for Barbarian King. It's pretty intimidating. Plus, I figured I should probably have all of my defenses maxed before I start doing that, because there's gonna be some pissed off TH 8s who will revenge attack me for using Lightning on their DE storages.

Ilúvatar;135672049 said:

I downloaded it. I like the idea of a base with one side to defend, but I don't have the patience to play more than one of these types of games. Clash of Clans is like the LoL of this genre: I'm just not going to start playing another one.

I've been playing it for about a month. HQ 12. We should start a GAF clan (can't remember the actual name) that they just added in the new patch, if we have enough players I wouldn't mind trying that out.

I've been playing Boom Beach for a little while. I'm HQ 9. It's fun but of my 3 CoC-type games I play it the least. I was thinking of making a Boom Beach OT but I made a Castle Clash OT instead since I play that more often.

Top Bottom