• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC Halo 3 in 1080p/60FPS Glory - IGN First

zoozilla

Hm, I see some drops in the framerate...

I don't think it's on my end, since I saw the drops in the same places with the IGN player and the direct mp4. Maybe it's the video.

I hope the 60 fps is more or less constant, though Halo 3 does have a lot going on at any given time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just saw the footage, and honestly. I can't tell visual difference and I don't really care. But boy I want to play this game real hard and 60fps really shows.

And the multiplayer is exactly Halo 3 even the medals? so we going to have different medals for each games? I thought it was all unified.

ThisOne

Halo 3 multiplayer was tits. Makes me miss college days playing that with my roommates. The voiceover in multiplayer sounds kinda weird to me though and the covenant voices in the campaign sound different and weird too.

AlStrong

Can someone confirm if frame rates remain at 60fps in splitscreen? I'm going to be doing a lot of split screen..it would stink to miss out on that feature.

It'd be interesting to see, as it places more load on the CPU thread dealing with the split-screen rendering.

Can someone confirm if frame rates remain at 60fps in splitscreen? I'm going to be doing a lot of split screen..it would stink to miss out on that feature.

This is very important to me too. Halo 4 online splitscreen multiplayer's (oftentimes) unplayable frame rate is still fresh in my mind. I'll be very happy if splitscreen across all games and modes is smooth!

Pop

Halo 3 multiplayer was tits. Makes me miss college days playing that with my roommates. The voiceover in multiplayer sounds kinda weird to me though and the covenant voices in the campaign sound different and weird too.

Yes it was

You know, I think imma play it tonight.

Halo 3 looks gorgeous, but I was a bit disappointed to see the LOD dithering effect still in action.

IsrYApI.jpg

It's hard to tell for sure due to compression but looks like the UI is still using the original assets. That was the only thing that really stuck out to me. But yeah if that dithering is there thats kinda bad as well.

Kariodude

Banned
So they really didn't enhance the textures even a little bit. It'll be weird because Halo 2 will probably look better than 3 because of the enhancements. Oh well.

I take it you haven't played Reach.

If I get an XBone between now and Xmas. It wouldn't be for this collection. Played all the games to death already on the previous consoles.

Playing Reach only reinforces how good Halo 3 was and I think that's the case for a lot of the fans of the original trilogy. I recently checked up my stats in Reach played compared to games played in 3 and the difference was astounding.

fuck bloom

Playing Reach only reinforces how good Halo 3 was and I think that's the case for a lot of the fans of the original trilogy. I recently checked up my stats in Reach played compared to games played in 3 and the difference was astounding.

fuck bloom

Preach, brother

JdFoX187

Banned

fuck bloom

Not this fan. Halo 3 was Bungle's Return of the Jedi. There's no way they could live up to the cliffhanger of Halo 2, so they relied on fan service, character assassinations (Arbiter and Prophet of Truth) and half-filled promises to craft perhaps the most anti-climatic trilogy "finale" imaginable. Even the multiplayer took the refined perfection of Halo 2 and threw it out the window for broken equipment, piss poor weapon balance and floaty movement and controls. Much like Destiny, that was a game that was sold purely on marketing and hype alone. Thankfully, Reach remedied some of those issues, while adding many of its own. But it's still the more competent and refined game.

If a new gen console, couldnt play an old gen game at 1080p60....

I dont get why are we getting remakes/remasters of 5 year old games, THAT STILL LOOK GOOD ! IF you want to remake something, please do remakes of 10+ year old games.

A simple fps and resolution boost doesnt justify re-releasing an old game, it just strikes me as a cashgrab, selling twice the same thing to the customer. Besides what made sense 5 years ago, and was a novelty (story wise) is gone now, and lives in our memories with amazing graphics (just like we picture older games much better than what they rly are).

Not this fan. Halo 3 was Bungle's Return of the Jedi. There's no way they could live up to the cliffhanger of Halo 2, so they relied on fan service, character assassinations (Arbiter and Prophet of Truth) and half-filled promises to craft perhaps the most anti-climatic trilogy "finale" imaginable. Even the multiplayer took the refined perfection of Halo 2 and threw it out the window for broken equipment, piss poor weapon balance and floaty movement and controls. Much like Destiny, that was a game that was sold purely on marketing and hype alone. Thankfully, Reach remedied some of those issues, while adding many of its own. But it's still the more competent and refined game.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on that then. I felt Reach was responsible for many of the things I hate in Halo (armor abilities, bloom) and the multiplayer just never compared to 3, especially the maps.

I had 2200 games (not including campaign) in Halo 3 and only 972 (plus campaign) in Reach. Reach had a more consistent campaign but that's all I would really give it.

VinFTW

I downloaded the file from IGN for local playback and there are definitely frame drops.

Considered H2A is locked during MP, I highly doubt there having a hard time with H3. Especially since its at least a month old build.

Don't think we need to be concerned here man.

I dont get why are we getting remakes/remasters of 5 year old games, THAT STILL LOOK GOOD ! IF you want to remake something, please do remakes of 10+ year old games.

A simple fps and resolution boost doesnt justify re-releasing an old game, it just strikes me as a cashgrab, selling twice the same thing to the customer. Besides what made sense 5 years ago, and was a novelty (story wise) is gone now, and lives in our memories with amazing graphics (just like we picture older games much better than what they rly are).

Lmao. Here we go...

Misinformed gonna misinform.

danwarb

It is a remake of a 10 year old game. Halo 2 Anniversary. 1, 3 and 4 are included with all MP maps.

darthbob

Considered H2A is locked during MP, I highly doubt there having a hard time with H3. Especially since its at least a month old build.

Don't think we need to be concerned here man.

That's what I would assume as well but there are definite moments during the IGN video where the framerate is not 60.

VinFTW

That's what I would assume as well but there are definite moments during the IGN video where the framerate is not 60.

Yeah, I'm not too worried :p 343 and co are technical wizards.

Of the previous generation...sorry it just doesnt add up to me, i think the games still look too good, and are still too fresh for a remake.

H2 is from 2 generations ago.

Keep changing those goal posts though.

Tegernako

Banned
One of the comments on IGN says, "The first two cutscenes of Halo 3 has more story in them than Destiny does."

Lol.
Destiny had a story? I thought they didn't have time to explain that they didn't have time to explain the story?

Having never played the original but seen all the hype towards this, I think I've been spoilt by Destiny, this looks fricking bland! Explosions seem non existent and everything just seems too sterile.
You're certainly allowed to have your opinion and all but still...

3IeZ1vP.gif

Evo X

Seeing Halo in 60fps feels so weird after putting in hundreds of hours at 30fps. It's like everything in that video was sped up.

Xenon

Of the previous generation...sorry it just doesnt add up to me, i think the games still look too good, and are still too fresh for a remake.

Being able to play all of them on a single console, with dedicated servers at 60fps, makes it worth it for most.

H2 is from 2 generations ago.

Keep changing those goal posts though.

Well if it makes sense to you cool, enjoy.

It doesnt to me, last time I played Halo 1 or 2, I think it still felt good, and no need for a remake, but this is a personal opinion. It just seems this newer generations are relaying too much on remakes/remasters.

darthbob

The footage is from an older build anyways so it's not too much of a stretch to assume that the game will play smoother when we get it in a few weeks.

However if you're interested in checking out what I've noticed, download this file: http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/1920/708399a5a6670601c2c022fcb9982d8e-9000000-1413829277-w.mp4, and check :40, :59, and 1:13. Those are the biggest frame drops that I could see, with no noticeable issues with MP.

Also worth noting at 1:23 you can see noticeable color banding in the sky. It's not a huge issue, but was something that I was hoping to see addressed.

VinFTW

Well if it makes sense to you cool, enjoy.

It doesnt to me, last time I played Halo 1 or 2, I think it still felt good, and no need for a remake, but this is a personal opinion. It just seems this newer generations are relaying too much on remakes/remasters.

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion but saying its a cashgrab is EXTREMELY incorrect. They could have sold H2A alone for $60 and it'd be a good deal. This package is fan-service, a gift for us Halo gamers.

danwarb

H2A has updated everything to do with the visuals and wonderful new cutscenes from Blur.

H3 with better IQ at 60fps is just a huge bonus, because it's best Halo.

lol at calling a remaster/remake done right a cash grab.

JdFoX187

Banned
"Refined perfection of Halo 2," Oh god that is priceless. Anyone remember smg starts on Coagulation?? BR starts on Coagulation for that matter doesn't play well.

As opposed to Assault Rifle starts on Last Resort. Real solid setup there. The SMG starts were remedied quickly enough.

Kssio_Aug

For those of you interested on watching the IGN video with better quality, or to download it:
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
(that one was the one listed some pages ago)

Unfortunately I could not find the Halo 2: Anniversary link. If I do, I update it here.

Edit: Was able to get the Halo 2 link.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
Looks damn good with that framerate. Most of my time will be spent playing Halo 3 MP.

The one thing concerning me still is armor permutations for both Halo 3 and Halo 4. How will I unlock armor like Mark V, ODST, Rogue, and other permutations without the affiliated achievements and corresponding in-game (non-existent) global ranks?

oh, and muh reconz

Looks damn good with that framerate. Most of my time will be spent playing Halo 3 MP.

The one thing concerning me still is armor permutations for both Halo 3 and Halo 4. How will I unlock armor like Mark V, ODST, Rogue, and other permutations without the affiliated achievements and corresponding in-game (non-existent) global ranks?

oh, and muh reconz

Everything is unlocked from the get go, unless im mistaken.

Top Bottom