• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends Championship Series: Season 4

garath

He's the ADC, he doesn't need to :^)

Seriously though, Curse will be mad scary.

Curse is looking much better but Voyboy needs a deeper champion pool and IWDominate is a little bit of a weak link imo. I don't think he's a world class jungler. The meta may wreck him next season.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think dominate isn't so bad and quas was looking pretty dyrus lately. i think voy needs to keep people guessing with his own picks and just do his thing

curse's biggest problem has been shotcalling for the longest time, and having a guy not speaking your language won't improve that. but who knows

looks like a solid roster at least, specially now that teams like clg and dig seem to be on the shitter (not that they were the bestest before)

even tsm looks shaky without a jungler

Krepo leaves EG. Free agent. Will only play on a team next year if he believes it could make Worlds. Considering potential moves into coaching or casting. Wrote a lot about his experiences of EG here, labelling his manager inexperienced and Altec (in particular, though its implied to other members of the team too) lazy/unfocused:

https://www.facebook.com/Krepo.LoL/posts/756171434455091

Looks like EG have big issues of their own to deal with, especially if one takes Krepo at his word that he was having to operate as a "team leader" towards the end to keep things working.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2k401a/rekkles_has_had_enough_buyout_option_is_15k/

Rekkles' buy-out price is $15K according to Richard Lewis. He's "had enough". YoungBuck tweeted that if his buy-out is really $15K he'll be bought instantly.

So every NA LCS team will have a roster change going into season 5, except Cloud 9.

Edit: I can't get my head around Snoopeh and Yellowpete having single rooms in the EG house while Altec was sleeping under the stairs. What on Earth was going on with that team's manager.

Edit 2: Jesiz is now a free agent. SK now need a mid as well as an AD. https://twitter.com/Jesizlol

Makareu

In my mind Jesiz leaving SK was the condition for Rekkles to join them. I think that would be the right move for him as i think both Fnatic an Alliance have hit their ceiling (obviously SK would also need a good mid).
Anyway good luck to anyone trying to predict the S5 LCS landscape.

Oh, I have a prediction. C9 and/or TSM win both splits, reaching a combined 6 LCS regional titles between them. EU is tougher since Rekkles may move and incarnation may be unbanned, but I expect Alliance to be dominant (at least 2nd each split).

Tabzz released, so it's essentially confirmed Alliance are buying Rekkles. If Fnatic can sign Tabzz for the same wages they were paying Rekkles, they essentially made themselves $15K - might be a chance to go into the market with that cash, and Ryu and Horo are apparently on their way to EU...

Alex Penn has said Santorin to TSM is all but confirmed. Two Coast players, LOD and Sheep, have made unhappy-sounding tweets in the last 24 hours too, so many people are putting two and two together and concluding they've lost their jungler. Apparently TheOddOne got up from his first game of Civ:BE during the night and Dyrus turned off his stream simultaneously... dun dun dun.

And NK Inc's account of Velocity's sad story was a depressing read. The team needed a strong, effective manager, but instead they had Brian Cordry, who's the same individual who Krepo criticised in his leaving remarks yesterday.

I guess that also (in a round about way) confirms that SKT will be keeping K and KT will be keeping Arrows as their permanent teams. Not really surprising.

Thought what does surprise me is that Ryu and H0R0 are going to a team which isn't even in the LCS. Seeing them in the Expansion Tournament with Creaton, Jree et. al. competing against random EU players will be surreal. Last year Ryu was one game away from reaching Worlds, twice, on the second best team in the World, and H0R0 was in the OGN semi-finals in Spring, as perhaps the most respected member of his team.

Kottenx is now a free agent, along with Kerp, of course. CLG could consider him, and I think they'd be smart to - he became a strong contributor for Millenium during a fairly short period of time and could fit in well. He looks as if he has a more positive attitude than dexter (hard to tell from the outside though).

Edwardo

Tabzz, on his former teammates and worlds..

How do you feel about parting ways with ALL?

First of all our lineup was inconsistent at it's core: shook is inconsistent, nyph is weak in lane + inconsistent in teamfights and wickd can only perform on specific champions. Froggen is a great consistent player who I never really had any trouble with and could usually rely on, especially on mage-type champions. I didn't like his gameplay on Assassin type champions as much though (Fizz, Zed, Yasuo), even though his Ahri was really good (but Ahri isn't really an assassin I guess).
I didn't like how we played out games, we had very little game plan with Shook and Nyph barely communicating in any game so almost all the early mid game plays we made were never set up but more instinctual and in the moment (which further added to randomness and inconsistency). Froggen was a decent shot caller in later parts of the games but only if we were ahead: if we were behind, his main game plan was hope the enemy makes a mistake. We would never try anything risky to get back, although the risk-free playstyle from behind did net us a lot of wins if our enemies stepped out of bounds (which happened a ton in Europe: see our playoff games at Gamescom. We should have lost the bo5 vs SK for the combined reasons in this paragraph. They outpicked and outplayed us strategically but misplayed and threw the games).
Go figure why we perfect game NSJW and lose vs Kabum.
Besides that, I was never truly good friends with anyone on our team to the point where I could discuss personal issues comfortably. It was a boring team personal relation wise and that grinds on you a bit in long seasons. They were more colleagues than anything and I felt quite lonely in the house.
In parting ways I hope to find a lineup that I enjoy playing in more, and can bring out the best in me both ingame and out of the game.

http://ask.fm/azoriu/answer/120991200134

Something I think a lot of people miss or don't put close to enough emphasis on in evaluating player level/skill is communicating/voice comm presence (not being silent, not filling the channel with crap, not being commanding when ahead and falling silent when behind, which was CLG's problem during the first split). I consider Hai much stronger than most in his role because he takes on such a large portion of the burden for C9.

Tabzz pretty much just told Alliance to kick Nyph in public (weak in lane, weak in teamfights, doesn't communicate well). Possibly an ill-considered statement to make public, but I guess he doesn't expect Alliance to re-sign him anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
i get the impression the western world isn't the money heaven many of the leaving korean players might be expecting tho so yeah, minimum wage and stuff is a good move if things are as bad as they sound in korea

Who wants to play minimum wage playing LoL at least 8 hours a day?

It's possible that the Korean players were being paid far less than that if so many are willing to jump ship.

They likely know what Helios/Lustboy make relative to what they make so the fact that they're willing to leave Korea for NA/EU is pretty telling I think.

Leezard

Who wants to play minimum wage playing LoL at least 8 hours a day?

As psycho soldier says, it might be better than the current standards.

Also, "minimum salary standards that are on par with other domestic professional sports" is not necessarily the same as the common "minimum wage", though it might be.

I think the money offered in China trumps anything that could be got in Korea (except perhaps by the extreme best, like Faker). Apparently some of the SHRC strife was down to Uzi not liking how much Insec and Zero were getting, and now Kakao and Rookie, having left KT A, the reigning OGN champions, are heavily rumoured to be en route there. It's clear that Lustboy and Helios are happy with their earnings on TSM and EG, and Ryu and H0R0 are prepared to move to a non-LCS EU team, so I'd guess the bigger NA and EU organisations pay more than average Korean orgs too (though of course, there are other benefits to playing in NA and EU - potential to become fluent in English, much better work/life balance conditions, more secure contracts, easier opponents).

One likely consequence of all these post-season roster swaps and format changes for Korea will be significantly better pay and conditions for the Korean players who are able to make it into the 8 team league next year. I doubt the KESPA teams ever want to see their best talent fly overseas again if they can avoid it.

zkylon

zkylewd
sounds like players are giving shitty korean orgs a wakeup call if they want to keep their talent

it's not great advertising to think that korean companies slave their players that's for sure

Edwardo

Dade signed with a Chinese team for $250,000 a year salary. He talked briefly about going to Cloud 9, but got offered more money.

Pawn and DanDy move to Invictus Gaming (a weaker Chinese team owned by the son of one of the wealthiest men in China). Imp leaves Samsung White, will "take it easy" according to LS (isn't actually retiring - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2kw3yv/ssw_imp_retiring/). Deft has also left SSB.

So within two weeks of becoming World Champions, Samsung White's roster has completely disintegrated, with their mid and jungler moving to China and their bot lane retiring/taking a break. Only Looper remains. Hard to believe that's happened. I wonder how serious the organisation is about contesting season 5 - add in Dade and Mata, and it's reasonable to argue they've lost their 6 strongest players in two weeks.

Scarra becomes the coach of CLG. Will hold tryouts for Mid and Jungle. Link will contest the spot. Seraph presumably staying (or they already signed ZionSpartan).

Edwardo

I hope everyone enjoyed their month off of League of Legends eSports madness, but today it is back!

The 2015 Expansion Tournament starts today!

Basically, NA and EU will have two more spots available for Season 5 LCS. More Info.

When?
November 15-16: NA Expansion (Round 1, Online)
November 22-23: NA Expansion (Round 2, Online), EU Expansion (Round 1, Online)
November 29-30: EU Expansion (Round 2, Online)
December 12-14: NA Live Expansion (Round 3, Live)
December 18-21: EU Live Expansion (Round 3, Live)

NA Participants
  • compLexity Black
  • Curse Academy
  • Team Coast
  • Enemy Esports
  • Team Fusion
  • Team LoLPRO
  • compLexity White
  • Zenith eSports
  • Final Five
  • Monstar Kittenz
  • Fission Esports
  • Team Confusion Esports
  • Noble Truth
  • Call Gaming Team

I guess the rest of the EU teams have yet to be confirmed, but their tournament doesn't start until next week.

Bracket
r4iGGKo.jpg

Best of Three Series

All matches will be played on patch 4.19

Full Ruleset

Watch Here!

Latest News

Edwardo

I can probably guess the answer, but are they gonna play on the new SR?

Once they get to the live matches (Round 3), they'll be using the new rift.

edit: full response from RiotTiza

Allow me to clarify the patch schedule for the Expansion Tournament first and foremost:

The matches held over the next three weeks (two rounds per region, all played online) will be played on 4.19. This is the patch that is currently on live.

Either next week or the week after, depending on the live launch, SRU (the map only, NOT the jungle changes) will be activated and used for the expansion tournament. This is strictly visual and quality changes.

For the offline matches, which are held live mid-December, they will be played on 4.20 with SRU active. This is the full preseason patch, including the jungle changes.
SRU is being turned on this week on live, and the original SR will soon be unavailable. Teams will have access to both SR and SRU on the Tournament Realm. Teams in both regions will have approximately three weeks of time to play on the preseason patch after their 4.19 matches are completed.

In addition, we have the ability to add any emergency hotfixes that go live to the tournament realm before matches are played. If we run into any League of Cleavers or double Targon scenarios that our design team feels is way out of line, we'll be able to get them fixed up before offline matches begin.

EDIT: Since this has sparked a lot of discussion, I'd like to talk a bit more about the reasoning that went into this decision.
First of all, it’s clear from some of the confusion around this that we haven’t been as clear as we should’ve been around how the upcoming patch changes affect the Expansion Tournament.

We’re sorry for not communicating this much more widely and for giving teams more time to adjust and ask questions. We feel like the structure offer the best and fairest competition going into the tournament - here’s some background on how we got there.

Our baseline for patch timing in the LCS and CS is one week of time on live before it hits competitive play. That means if a patch hits the local live servers on Tuesday, it won’t be played for the upcoming matches that week, but it will be played the week after. Patch 4.19 is a standard patch which fits within this timeframe, so will be used for matches starting next week.

The areas that have caused the most confusion and questions seem to be around the the SRU map and the Preseason Patch - here’s some more details on how those bigger changes will be folded into the tournament.

The SRU map is included in 4.19 and will be hitting live as detailed in the beta release plan. You'll be landing on the updated Rift on live later this week. As such, we’ll be using SRU for Expansion matches starting next week. Our League Operations and SRU teams will run a thorough check to minimize the chances of the new map having any game-breaking issues. The Expansion Teams will have access to SRU and SR at any time on the Tournament Realm.

Patch 4.20, the official Preseason Patch, is planned to hit live early next week. With it, the old Summoner's Rift will be replaced, and teams won’t be able to practice on 4.19 on live queues.

This means Expansion teams will be constrained to 4.19 practice on the Tournament Realms during this period - slightly less than a week for NA and two weeks for EU.

The Preseason Patch is going to be more significant than a mid-season patch. We absolutely didn't want to incorporate 4.20 into the tournament with a one-week turnaround, so we ruled it out for any of the online rounds. We spoke to a number of players about their thoughts on the matter, and the majority were confident that they would be ready to compete within a three-week span (as long as we'd be able to hotfix if something like League of Cleavers turned up). The time between live launch and the competition itself will allow us to fix any major bugs or balance issues before anyone has to compete on it.

When we looked at the needs of Expansion Tournament players, we valued the three weeks of live practice on a significantly impactful patch over losing those weeks of practice to stay on an older patch that wouldn’t be part of the LCS moving forward. With double elimination, player feedback, and enough time to fix anything game-breaking, we're confident that playing the last rounds of the Expansion Tournament on Patch 4.20 is the best option.

brian!

they arent scared, they are just measured which is a good thing to do against the comp they are against

these jinx rockets tho
real montage of useless ults

what's going on here
CbSvvRr.png

clemenx

Banned
These teams understimate those super minions. Free nexus towers in both games lol.

Maokai too strong in this game seems this is going to 3.

Top Bottom