• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

TJP

I just watched the Inside Sim Racing review of DC and it was brutal. 5/10 score and a lot of complaints.

@Jamesways - that reads much like the type of game I'd expect from you ;)

It is interesting to me that reviewers are using a lack of soul as a reason to knock points off this game. I haven't played this game but its soul is exactly what interests me in it.

Soul in a driving game to me has to do with replicating the feeling of an exhilarating drive. I remember feeling that way about the original Need for Speed on the 3DO. There was something about the atmosphere of that game that really connected to me at that deep level. The trees; the leaves on the ground; the feeling of driving as fast as I could down a country road. I wanted more and more of it. Since then I haven't felt the same about a driving game.

I enjoyed the Gran Turismo games but they were too technical and, for me, got worse to manage as they released additional iterations. I enjoyed Forza as well but GT and Forza feel more technical and sterile, lacking in soul.

I haven't bought a driving game in a while because I've felt burned too many times but Driveclub had given me hope. The attention to detail really hearkens back to those Need for Speed days and the attempt to recreate that exhilarating drive through the back country.

For me that is what represents "soul" in a driving game.

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to try out Driveclub to see if that is true for me. Anybody want to Shareplay with me?

Anarion07

Two questions:

1: Is there any special trick to get your time onto the leaderboard a 2 or 3 race event?

2: Shareplay is only for local coop i guess, so no shareplay-multiplayer sessions possible?

Synth

Two questions:

1: Is there any special trick to get your time onto the leaderboard a 2 or 3 race event?

2: Shareplay is only for local coop i guess, so no shareplay-multiplayer sessions possible?

For number 2, if the game has no local MP, you can either let them watch, or you can watch them play. only one of you gets the virtual controller at a time though.

Soul in a driving game to me has to do with replicating the feeling of an exhilarating drive. I remember feeling that way about the original Need for Speed on the 3DO. There was something about the atmosphere of that game that really connected to me at that deep level. The trees; the leaves on the ground; the feeling of driving as fast as I could down a country road. I wanted more and more of it. Since then I haven't felt the same about a driving game.

I enjoyed the Gran Turismo games but they were too technical and, for me, got worse to manage as they released additional iterations. I enjoyed Forza as well but GT and Forza feel more technical and sterile, lacking in soul.
Did you ever play either of the Need for Speed: Shift games?

Thats what DriveClub reminds me of most. Shift had a hybrid handling model, ferocious audio, a harrowing sense of speed, aggressive AI and an intense cockpit view - all of which combined into a game that communicated danger while asking for precision. In this case though, the circuits have been replaced with expansive natural settings and insane atmospherics and lighting.

I never could get a solid grip on the handling in the Shift games even though I played endless hours of them and tweaked every setting I could find. That hasn't been a problem with DriveClub. After a few races I really felt at ease with the way the cars behave.

Awesome video. I don't understand how people can't admit Driveclub looks stunning.
Looking at you Brad and Jeff, "Looks okay" my ass
I guess eventually we all end up having one or more games that it seems like the reviewers are coming from a completely different reality - and the general critical consensus seems wacko. DriveClub is one of those games for me.

Even the Inside Sim Racing guy said the game looked cartoonish - especially in the initial track flyovers, and that the load times were "just OK" ;p Opinions and perspectives and all, but holy shit, I don't understand how those can be the takeaways from a critical assessment. It's just... weird.

my ps4 lost the ability to download driveclub and sony support could not resolve it, so i suggested they refund me so i could buy it again and start afresh after they clean out driveclub from my licenses.

they agreed and put through the refund request explaining that i cannot download the game etc.

refund dept bounced out my request a day later: denied.

I am in hell with this game.

Shaneus

So now, why do you like Horizon? You didn't elaborate on that. What changed, and what would you have told me if you didn't end up enjoying it anyway?
Didn't realise I had to explain myself:

* Got over the fact that there was more than just driving and doing races that were required to progress through.
* Completionist in me had me driving down all the roads, regardless of if they were useful or not.
* Barn finds.
* Friends list face-offs.

There are things I've disliked for a long time without being able to fully explain why, and vice-versa. I get that a reviewer should do their best to quantify any complaints they have, but some things are just really fucking difficult to put into words. I couldn't tell you why I don't like marmite. I understand someone else might, but I'm not about to give it a good review simply because I can't put my dislike of it into words. I don't know why I find Daytona USA's handling to be better than Ridge Racer's (and every other racing game's), I'd tell you that the great feel of driving the car is one of the reasons why I'm scoring it highly, but can't explain what "great feel of the car" ends up actually meaning... especially in comparison to similar games such as Outrun 2 or even Daytona USA 2. I don't know why I find Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out's graphical style to be basically flawless, yet not Wipeout HD's. Maybe this just means I shouldn't be a reviewer.. but if I was, I would only be able to tell you that I do like these things, whilst expanding more on areas which have more concrete reasons for me liking them or not.
There's a big difference between talking about something like the "feel" of a driving model, because you're talking about something very specific. A driving model is a driving model, there's no base measure for being specific about something like that. A graphical aesthetic such as those in the Wipeout series are a thing specific that you can compare. But people talking about the "soul" of an entire game? They're not even narrowing it down to a particular component.

If reviewers were able to describe everything that makes a game enjoyable or not, they probably wouldn't be games reviewers. They'd be insanely rich games designers, and probably still wouldn't tell you the details.
Aren't reviewers supposed to tell us things about games that are either enjoyable or not? I must've missed the memo.

"I didn't really like this. It may not be for everyone, but some of you out there may love it. 10/10!" doesn't make much sense to me, as it can be applied to any game. There's almost nothing out there that somebody won't love. My review is only going to tell you what I think of it, rather than accommodating for all those that may potentially disagree with me.
But how are you going to tell them what you think of it when you can't define what you don't like about it? "It lacks soul" or "it has no personality" means nothing if you don't explain *why* those things don't exist to you. "It has no soul because the presentation is all over the shop, the menu is clunky and there's no design aesthetic" holds more weight than the former.

leng jai

This is not even close to being true. 15 hour Tour mode with 55 tracks all playable offline with day/night cycles, Time Trials, customizable races and drift mode. There is no less content here than most games.

Sure, if DC didn't remove the hashtag on the box cover and made you create a character the first time you boot the game up instead of racing it would definitely have more personality. But let's not misconstrued what's actually in the overall package. The lack of functional online doesn't take away the wealth of content the game provides offline.

A lot of people here are being unnecessarily snarky about what personality is in a racing game. It's not about announcers and storyline - rehashing that joke every time is just being dismissive.

Perhaps I worded myself badly - DC has content, but the well Evolution has chosen to present it is incredibly lazy. The tour mode. It's just a bunch of random racers with stars assigned to them - there's not much sense of progression besides your own intrinsic feeling of improving. Again it's based on the premise of people just doing lap after lap without much else.

The game has a lot of tracks but it does a poor job of actually doing anything with them. It's up to the game to keep people playing to an extent - I'm sure most just play the tour mode and never touch the game again. If you do that in DC you barely get any game. Yes you can create your own time trials and race individual tracks over and over again but that's going to get old quick and feel "pointless" for most people. I maintain that Evolution could have put a lot more work into the offline structure of the game.

The game has a lot of tracks but it does a poor job of actually doing anything with them. It's up to the game to keep people playing to an extent - I'm sure most just play the tour mode and never touch the game again. If you do that in DC you barely get any game. Yes you can create your own time trials and race individual tracks over and over again but that's going to get old quick and feel "pointless" for most people. I maintain that Evolution could have put a lot more work into the offline structure of the game.
No snark intended here, promise, but what are you comparing it to? As a list of events you unlock in order to unlock the next series of events, aren't you describing Forza and Gran Turismo as well? Can you give an example or two of what you would have liked to see in the offline tour that's not there?

I get that people think there isn't much to the game, but don't have a sense of whats supposed to be there.

GodofWine

No snark intended here, promise, but what are you comparing it to? As a list of events you unlock in order to unlock the next series of events, aren't you describing Forza and Gran Turismo as well? Can you give an example or two of what you would have liked to see in the offline tour that's not there?

I get that people think there isn't much to the game, but don't have a sense of whats supposed to be there.

Same.

Is there anything more pointless and soulless as gran tourismos or forzas career mode? No, but they are still really good games

Synth

Didn't realise I had to explain myself:

* Got over the fact that there was more than just driving and doing races that were required to progress through.
* Completionist in me had me driving down all the roads, regardless of if they were useful or not.
* Barn finds.
* Friends list face-offs.

There's a big difference between talking about something like the "feel" of a driving model, because you're talking about something very specific. A driving model is a driving model, there's no base measure for being specific about something like that. A graphical aesthetic such as those in the Wipeout series are a thing specific that you can compare. But people talking about the "soul" of an entire game? They're not even narrowing it down to a particular component.

Aren't reviewers supposed to tell us things about games that are either enjoyable or not? I must've missed the memo.

But how are you going to tell them what you think of it when you can't define what you don't like about it? "It lacks soul" or "it has no personality" means nothing if you don't explain *why* those things don't exist to you. "It has no soul because the presentation is all over the shop, the menu is clunky and there's no design aesthetic" holds more weight than the former.

You didn't have to elaborate. I wasn't making any demands. I was just curious if you going from not liking it and not knowing why, changed to liking it and not knowing why. Apparently that wasn't the case, but then the things you listed seem like things that would be easy to discern even when you didn't like it.

I think I'm starting to agree with you a bit more in regards to the whole soul thing though now. I'm not actually aware of which reviews we're talking about here (feel free to link me, and I'll have a read though), but I kinda assumed the reviews would have contained more detail about other areas they did or didn't like, and used the term "soul" more as a conclusion of how these things come together. Like taking 5+7+3+6, and somehow only coming out with 15 in the end. The equation makes no sense based on the individual factors, but nonetheless this is what you ended up with. Man, this topic is difficult to talk about... I can kinda feel that I'm not making sense at this point.

Yea, a reviewers job is to say if they do, or don't like something and why... but that doesn't mean that they can be expected to have a deep understanding of some of the less obvious aspects that influence this. There's plenty of discussions for example around what causes a person to be addicted to a game, that they may not have much fun actually playing. These can be things that the player themselves can't determine, but are very much by design (and likely monetized). There's a good chance the reviewer also wouldn't be able to tell you the specifics of why this is, but would be able to tell you "yet, I couldn't put the damn thing down!".

I may just be placing the bar for a reviews too low, or maybe you're placing it too high? Chances are it's somewhere in the middle. I do almost feel like giving it a shot actually writing out a mock review for Driveclub now, to see how well I can convey what I do or don't like about it.

leng jai

It's hard to explain. Those games definitely have longer tour modes (though that's not a good thing by itself) and a better sense of progression. I agree that their premise is largely the same. I think perhaps this is where the disconnect lies - DC isn't meant to be a sim racer like GT but the premise and structure of the game feels like one. They've gone halfway on each and gotten somewhat lost in the middle IMO.

I should preface my posts by saying that I really like a lot of what Drive Club offers. The core game and handling model is probably my favourite in any racer I've ever tried. The graphics are fantastic and I really appreciate the direction they've gone with lighting and weather (well, not the fact that they delayed it). I understand it's their first effort, I'm just pointing out why the game wasn't that well received and what the sequel could offer.

It's hard to explain.
I get that a lot ;p Thus the questions and my confusion.

The best I've seen in terms of an answer to the soul question was another Gaffer who said that the game was lacking in pomp and celebration. Not like Forza Horizon's festival atmosphere, but in terms of winning a race or championship there is nothing special to mark the occasion - no celebration - nothing with the first person views or the crowds or your character. Similarly with car unlocks - you just get a new car - no details about the car, no cuts of the car making an entrance or taking a tour of it. In that sense I get the barebones or soul complaint - DC, like every Evolution racer, is all about the intensity of the on-track experience. Everything else is a menu option.

DC does a better job setting up the races - showing the quick cuts of you getting in the car, and then the flyovers to show you the racing conditions. Maybe if they had similar quick cuts at the end of races and championships, and when leveling up - maybe that would have been enough to properly bookend things.

I think perhaps this is where the disconnect lies - DC isn't meant to be a sim racer like GT but the premise and structure of the game feels like one. They've gone halfway on each and gotten somewhat lost in the middle IMO.

Just ... just the way you phrase this ... are you sure it's not you who's getting lost in the middle? Ya know? I think DC is a very nice blend of SHIFT, GT & Burnout. Apart from it not working as intended (lol) and apart from no replays (yet) I don't see very much here that it's "supposed" to be doing that it isn't doing.

DonMigs85

I turned my system on today and it downloaded another patch but when I check the update history it's still at 1.04. I already installed that one yesterday!

dano1

A Sheep
I just watched the Inside Sim Racing review of DC and it was brutal. 5/10 score and a lot of complaints.

@Jamesways - that reads much like the type of game I'd expect from you ;)

This is what he said

On a scale from one to ten, I give it about a 5 and a sideways thumb versus a thumbs up or down. Maybe with some patches and fixing the network issues, this could become a quality racing title.

I agree at this state I give it a 6
But if everything was working a 9 or 9.5.

The soul and lack thereof comments come from a lack of presentation effort.

Its very industrial. There isn't a lot of effort in presenting the game to the player.

Like it or not, presentation is part of a game and if other games do it better, or make more effort, there will be criticism about it.

Its not 100% necessary, but when done correctly is something that can create atmosphere that can be appreciated by the player.

Forza 3 had much nicer presentation than Forza 5s stale menus and many people including critics commented on it. And its totally valid criticism. However, there are extras like Vista that add something more.

Like it or not, DC presents itself as if its just any other racer, even if you don't believe it is. Leaderboards aren't a Driveclub thing. Beating times isn't a Driveclub thing. Stats pages aren't a Driveclub thing.

Those are things that can be found in most racing games.

The focus on community isn't committed to enough imo. Tha club feature isn't really made a showcase of the game, its just there. You can race online. You can race offline. Clubs are just there.

How about when I win a race or score the Most game in a race, my club name and insignia are flashed center screen for all to see?

How about a kind of community hub where you can find out which clubs are online, challenge them to race not just set times, keep track of a rival club. Stuff community hubs are usually good at.

How about post race stats screens showing who had the Most collisions, clean sectors, warnings etc in the last race. "Clean sector king" awards to take away the "just win" mentality people have.

There is just a lot more that could be done to flesh out the game without changing its core values and I think people who care about the games future should be more willing to hear that criticism than to heckle and shout them down.

Afrikan

^^good post!

it would be if he just added a "can" in there...

this irritates me just as much as reviewers that so many rely on.

"The soul and lack thereof comments come from a lack of presentation effort."

just add a fucking "can" in there.

besides soul is subjective, *to me* DriveClub presents it's Soul with all the beautiful situations it has... from various time settings... clouds.. sunsets...... sense of speed...changing elevation on the road at high speeds.

I love how it all comes together, closest might be the Motorstorm series. (1&2).

I'm sure there are other races that pulled off most of those in their time.... maybe Dirt... Grid.. (but I didn't like controls in those games...and I don't think they looked as nice for their time...as DriveClub does for it's time)

Pretty sure he read more than the first two lines and didn't let his emotions dismiss the entire rest of my post.

I don't think you even read Those two lines properly based on your response.

Just going to say that the presentation of driveclub doesn't make it soulless..

On the race themselves , there is a lot of little things , little details that gave this game his unique atmosphere,

Before the race , there is this slick "enter the car" animation , that for me goes far fruther than what other racer does.. For exemples , in recent NFS games you are the car and there is nothing else about it, there is like no mention of the driver as a separate entity.. drive does go the extra mile and i like that.

On the menu , it's the standard metro-like interface that is the big focus in term of menu design these day ( Win 8 , Ea sports titles for example ) Driveclub is not less souless than the 2 product types i used in my exemples.

Now i understand the complains about more features to enhance the club aspect of driveclub , i really do ..but i believe that driveclub suceed first by being a solid racer game , THEN by adding those online things..making a racer game that doesn't suck isn't exactly easy to do , it's certainly not something i wish to cast aside because it's IMO an achivement evolution can be proud of.

Its very industrial. There isn't a lot of effort in presenting the game to the player.

Like it or not, presentation is part of a game and if other games do it better, or make more effort, there will be criticism about it.

Its not 100% necessary, but when done correctly is something that can create atmosphere that can be appreciated by the player.

Forza 3 had much nicer presentation than Forza 5s stale menus and many people including critics commented on it. And its totally valid criticism. However, there are extras like Vista that add something more.

Like it or not, DC presents itself as if its just any other racer, even if you don't believe it is. Leaderboards aren't a Driveclub thing. Beating times isn't a Driveclub thing. Stats pages aren't a Driveclub thing.

The focus on community isn't committed to enough imo. Tha club feature isn't really made a showcase of the game, its just there. You can race online. You can race offline. Clubs are just there.

How about when I win a race or score the Most game in a race, my club name and insignia are flashed center screen for all to see?

How about a kind of community hub where you can find out which clubs are online, challenge them to race not just set times, keep track of a rival club. Stuff community hubs are usually good at.

How about post race stats screens showing who had the Most collisions, clean sectors, warnings etc in the last race. "Clean sector king" awards to take away the "just win" mentality people have.

There is just a lot more that could be done to flesh out the game without changing its core values and I think people who care about the games future should be more willing to hear that criticism than to heckle and shout them down.
I like this post. I would love if they implemented these ideas.

Konosuke

If every criticism towards the game was as fleshed out and gave solutions as your post then every Driveclub topic would be a treat to read.

I do agree with you on most of your points, especially the Club and Community aspects. For instance, right now there's no way to have Club vs Club races.
There are only 2 multiplayer game modes.
There no way to see if people on a multiplayer lobby are on a group session.
You can unlock new layouts for your club livery and badge but the only person who can change it is the club leader, and that's understandable, but there's no way for club members to suggest new logos or liveries because they are locked out of those options.

You say Driveclub is very industrial, but I don't think that's a big negative. The menus are quick, simple to use and they get out of your way fast. Because what they want to focus on is the racing and competition.
After the first boot up you immediately get into a race. No menus or anything. That's the focus. Even the HUD is very clean, and if it's not to one's liking there are many options to remove stuff.

But I agree they should have made a bigger effort. The intro is just a lame compressed trailer that we've already seen. There's no Forza Horizon 2 style intro to get you pumped and ready to compete with your friends and the world. Something to immerse us in this universe.
Driveclub's Vista mode was reduced to a quick sequence just before loading and that's it. There's no way to "breathe in the atmosphere" other than staring at camera panning around the environments just before a race.
There should be a small cutscene before and after team races just to pump things up.

And yeah, leaderboards, beating times, ghosts and stat pages aren't a Driveclub thing sure, but they way they are implemented is really good and incentivises competition with others.

If you check your profile or your club's there a leaderboard. Before events, during loadings there's a leaderboard. It might show you a global leaderboard or a friends one. You don't have to dig it up.

But Evolution needs to do more if they want to enhance the community competition aspect.
Right now your Driver Level means nothing. It's not measuring skill. It probably isn't even used on matchmaking.
The only way Clubs can measure their dicks is by comparing fame, and that hardly means something if a Club has fewer members or is less active. There should be a leaderboard that ranked up Clubs by their drift points and lap times in each event.

I do hope they keep improving the game.

Oneself

That whole presentation discussion makes me a bit sad. I prefer my racing games to be straightforward, I want to race, I want to have fun. I don't need to wait 2 minutes to get into an animated menu with a cool-guy commentator explaining everything I see on-screen twice while he reads what I already read by myself and then wait another 20 seconds for a car to load and "drive" on screen with cool effects only to wait again for it to change colors as the commentator explains to me how to change colors every single time I do it, then he says that my car choice is cool and that color is so nice while I'm still waiting for the racetrack to load but after 2 more minutes I realise that it's not a racing challenge, it's a freakin stunts rpg with obstacles I have to fly through two more times (because I played that same challenge 5 times with various cars but since I'm not an amateur anymore I gotta do it twice in order to advance) so I can finally get to the qualifications for the first 2 laps pro race.
Yes, I love how DC works.

Jimrpg

I want to quote all you guys because you've made a lot of good suggestions but there would be too many to quote. I haven't played the multiplayer yet so I'm surprised to hear that you can't even do a club v club race. Are you sure? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the GAF league, or at least make it a lot harder to set up leagues?

After playing Driveclub a number of hours now in the single player, I think its a very good game but I do see why some of the reviews were rather low, even though I think they are wrong. Firstly the title alone does not excite anybody, the name Driveclub is about as bland as it gets and basically serves one purpose alone, in telling you what you do in the game. Forza Horizon is far more interesting and adventurous title.

The gameplay and the driving model is confusing. It uses real cars, that the average player would expect to handle realistically like a sim. But it handles in an arcade style. PGR handles more realistically than what we have here. The driving model also doesn't feel like it improves upon anything already done on the PS3, it just feels different. There are things you can do here that are unrealistic like for example brake and corner at the same time without spinning out. Another example would be the drifts require a touch of the handbrake and then acceleration, almost like an Outrun style drift (I haven't perfected them yet). Like Leng Jai said - its a bit of both but gotten lost in the middle. For me I put it down to lacking identity. Another game that lacks identity is Blur because it uses real cars and gives them neon weapons. When reviewers say it lacks soul, this is what I think they are talking about. Its like the developers want to include everything but don't know what to throw out. I always thought it was weird when PGR decided to include motorbikes. It didn't make the game better and it only served to lose the focus it had on being a really good car game.

The tour mode is also the run of the mill type of tour mode. Its hard to rail on a career mode like this when so many games have used it in the past. But I do think they could have done more.

The presentation is also lacking. While again the Driveclub team were probably going for function over glitz, all the menus are incredibly basic. This is probably something down to budget. One of the worst offenders that I've played in terms of presentation was WRC4 on the PS3, the cheap and nasty front menu which is basically a JPG with green fluro outline to select menu options. Driveclub isn't anywhere near that, but its no Wipeout either.

But the game, if you accept it for what it is, is incredibly fun and I think that's the problem with the reviewers (I can't believe we're still talking about them after 3 weeks). I just don't think the reviewers accepted it for what it was and really were expecting something else and found it to be on the surface 'yet another racer'. The soul is in the tracks, the weather system and the day night cycle. The online still lacks modes but hopefully they continue to improve on it.

I wanted to be sure, but it looks like the AA has been beefed up and has way less flicker.
Was the physics tweak to make it more arcade or less?

Ok pixelbox, I'm definitely going to agree with you on this one.

After patch 1.06 (+1.05), I too can also see the slight improvement in AA by the much reduced white dot artifacts that used to plague night races in particular on top of your car in chase cam and in cockpit view. Shimmering is still present and the overall AA solution is still a bit flawed but it's an improvement which is a step in the right direction.

Don't have to take my word for it guys...see for yourself and tell me what you think?

Where are you? I'm in the UK. I haven't tried out Shareplay yet, but I'll let you play my copy for an hour if my connection will suffice.

Oh wow, sorry. I got off work right after I listed this and then got distracted by Halloween! I'm in Portland Oregon. Quite a ways away. It's bedtime now for MW but thanks for the offer!

Did you ever play either of the Need for Speed: Shift games?

Thats what DriveClub reminds me of most. Shift had a hybrid handling model, ferocious audio, a harrowing sense of speed, aggressive AI and an intense cockpit view - all of which combined into a game that communicated danger while asking for precision. In this case though, the circuits have been replaced with expansive natural settings and insane atmospherics and lighting.

I never could get a solid grip on the handling in the Shift games even though I played endless hours of them and tweaked every setting I could find. That hasn't been a problem with DriveClub. After a few races I really felt at ease with the way the cars behave.

There was something about the shift games that I couldn't get into. I think it was the attempt to make need for speed more like forza and GT. At least that was my impression. I didn't really ever give either of them much playtime though. I think the sense of speed was one of the things that I did like though.

I think some of these are in place, it's just that reviewers did a piss poor job of exploring the game then purchasers couldn't because it's been broke since launch.

viveks86

I read your whole post...as well as many of your other posts in DriveClub threads.

I didn't particularly agree with that point, but it was well constructed criticism. The kind that is worth processing and considering for the future. A lot of reviewers use "soul-less" as a vague catch all expression without bothering to articulate why they thought so. Grizzleboy makes an effort to pin it on the presentation and makes his case. Do I agree? No. I don't even think presentation needs 'soul'. I need presentation to be unobtrusive and efficient so that I can play the actual game. So I see the game's presentation as a positive. But that's subjective and an opposing view is worth an acknowledgement at the very least.

Besides, all the other points he makes are really good and i'd love to see them in the game at some point.

500k fame away from level 50 only 37/225 starts because all I've been doing is practicing

is Need For Speed Rivals on PS4 any good? I need a racer while I wait for DC to be fixed :(

what do you get for multiplayer? I have yet to race others do you get any extra fame exp?
Not really. Just the same really, Face Offs get you Fame, finishing position gets you fame, the same Overdrives get you Fame.

There is no MP multiplier or additional things to grant you Fame, though I think the Red vs. Blue MP races give you Fame if you're on the winning side, but not sure. It just seems like the Finishing Position Fame is boosted if I'm on the winning team.

Ok pixelbox, I'm definitely going to agree with you on this one.

After patch 1.06 (+1.05), I too can also see the slight improvement in AA by the much reduced white dot artifacts that used to plague night races in particular on top of your car in chase cam and in cockpit view. Shimmering is still present and the overall AA solution is still a bit flawed but it's an improvement which is a step in the right direction.

Don't have to take my word for it guys...see for yourself and tell me what you think?
I'm still unsure.

I will say, when I had my first race after the patch I thought - this looks... different. It was in Chungara Lake and to me the difference seems to be prominence of the road deformations. They seemed a bit more visible further ahead.

Indeed I've done a lot of racing in Maplewood and the road surface there is very washed out, and the square 'slabs' if you like of road on the start/finish straight - it seems like you can see the ridges further away than you could before.

Still blurry, but less so. I wonder if there's been a slight bump in texture filtering?

Or it could all just be one big placebo :p

T-0800

Why are reviews being discussed again? I love this game. So glad it isn't filled with the nonesense that EA racing games are filled with these days.Apprarently that's what is needed to impress though. Sad.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Could someone be so kind and tweet rushy to increase the volume, add some Reverb and remove the audio filters in DC?

Edit. Some dynamic range would go a long way to improve the audio. Its non existent in DC.

Had a good couple of online races last night. A lot of fun. There were even some people who didn't try to rear-end me constantly.
Also.. I'm constantly preparing for them and i'm now a lot better in countering these assholes. Some just initiated their own instant failure by trying.
Basicly, if you start the game last or in the middle, you're going to get assassinated.

I wonder when the game / ther servers will finally perform as it should.

SmokyDave

I can see where the 'lack of soul' criticism comes from. The game is very sterile in its presentation. I'm reminded of Ridge Racer Vita.

500k fame away from level 50 only 37/225 starts because all I've been doing is practicing

is Need For Speed Rivals on PS4 any good? I need a racer while I wait for DC to be fixed :(
Rivals is alright, man. The cops are far more fun to play as than the racers though, in my opinion. I got my money's worth just driving around and taking down crims.

Top Bottom