• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

hokahey

I posted new thread for this but its fading fast, and I realllly need some help.

I am really hopeful someone here can help me, because I'm really frustrated.

For reference, here are the directions I'm trying to follow:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-Homebrew-Channel-on-the-Wii-U

1. Insert a 2 GB or less SD card into an SD card reader.

Remove any Super Smash Bros. Brawl custom stages that you have on the SD card. To get to your Brawl stages on your SD card, go to the SD card folder, click on the "private" folder, click on the "wii" folder, click on the "app" folder, click on the "RSBE"/"RSBP"/"RSBJ" folder (what the folder is called depends on your region. RSBE is U.S., RSBP is Europe/PAL, and RSBJ is Japan), and click on the "st" folder. After doing so, rename the folder to "privateold."

Download Smash Stack. Unzip the file and copy the "private" folder to the root of your SD card.

Download the HackMii installer. Unzip it and copy the "boot.elf" file to the root of your SD card.

Insert your copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl into the Wii U and turn on the console.

Go into Wii Mode. You can do this either by selecting the "Wii Mode" option from the Wii U menu or by holding the B button on the Wii U GamePad while turning on the console. You'll have to use a Wii Remote from here.

Start Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

From the game's main menu, go to "Vault," and then go to "Stage Builder."

Delete any custom stages that you have in the game, including the sample custom stages.

Go back to "Vault" and insert the SD card you are using into the Wii U.

Go back into the Stage Builder. The HackMii installer will launch.

Hit "Continue" on the test results screen.

At the main menu, hit "Install The Homebrew Channel." The Homebrew Channel will be installed on the console.

You'll be taken to the Homebrew Channel menu. Hit "Exit to System Menu" to go back to the Wii Mode menu.

You now have the Homebrew Channel on your Wii Mode screen. You can use it to start the Homebrew Channel and launch homebrew applications. You can find homebrew applications at the WiiBrew website.

Where I screwed up is here:

Download the HackMii installer. Unzip it and copy the "boot.elf" file to the root of your SD card.

Instead of copying the "boot.elf" file, I added the entire HackMii folder from the zip. So when I got here:

There was some kind of boot error that popped up.

Realizing my mistake, I tried removing the hackmii folder and copying just the boot.elf file to the SD card.

Basically, I have COMPLETELY started over from square one in these steps.

And yet, once I get to the point of:

Nothing happens. The Sage Builder level launches as if there is no SD card and I'm not trying to boot anything.

Am I just screwed? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts! :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
FYI - hitting the "minus" button on a Pro controller changes the button mapping for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

GLORIOUS.

What's up with the virtual memory card? Every time I launch a game it says the card needs to be formatted. But I already formatted! Can you save multiple games at a time or is it just one?

On the plus side, I was shocked at how easy this was to ser up!

What's up with the virtual memory card? Every time I launch a game it says the card needs to be formatted. But I already formatted! Can you save multiple games at a time or is it just one?

On the plus side, I was shocked at how easy this was to ser up!

The default setting is that every game gets its own card (because they're small).

Awesome stuff thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start a new file in paper Mario ttyd, since i never beat it back in the day. This is soo much better than devolution!

I posted new thread for this but its fading fast, and I realllly need some help.

I am really hopeful someone here can help me, because I'm really frustrated.

For reference, here are the directions I'm trying to follow:

Where I screwed up is here:

Instead of copying the "boot.elf" file, I added the entire HackMii folder from the zip. So when I got here:

There was some kind of boot error that popped up.

Realizing my mistake, I tried removing the hackmii folder and copying just the boot.elf file to the SD card.

Basically, I have COMPLETELY started over from square one in these steps.

And yet, once I get to the point of:

Nothing happens. The Sage Builder level launches as if there is no SD card and I'm not trying to boot anything.

Am I just screwed? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts! :)

Supposedly loading the Wii U Menu with the SD card in will delete Smash Stack from the card. So maybe try putting it on the card again and make sure to avoid the Wii U Menu with it in until the Homebrew Channel is installed.

linkboy

I've been playing Twilight Princess and I've ran into two problems.

The first is that my wii u pro controller just randomly stops working on the buttons get swapped (b becomes a for example)

The other is that the Hud gets all jacked up. The map moves across the screen to the middle, for example

Rich!

I've been playing Twilight Princess and I've ran into two problems.

The first is that my wii u pro controller just randomly stops working on the buttons get swapped (b becomes a for example)

That is because you are pressing minus/select!! It switches the control scheme.

Shun

Anyone have tips on putting GC and WBFS on a FAT32 SD card? I used to use Devolution and Wiiflow with an NTFS/WBFS HDD and got that running fine.

Since I'm moving to full SD card, does anyone have any clear hints as to transition all my GC and wbfs files over? Preferably not having to waste time and rerip my discs.

I got a 64GB FAT32 SD card ready to go.

If I have US NTSC GCN games, can I rip them on my PAL Wii for use on Nintendon't on a PAL Wii U?

I've used something called GCLoader in the past to boot my US GCN games on my PAL Wii so I imagine it should be possible?

FSLink

Banned
Could the OP be updated to have information about ripping saves from GC memory cards? IIRC the best method was GCMM....

Robin64

Unfortunately I have the yellow screen bug in Wii mode. It's horrible and it means that GameCube games look yellow too. :(

Played some F-Zero GX with Dualshock 4, crazy and impressive, image is really sharp.

OP tutorial is inadequate tho, doesn't say you need 2 extra files in the Nintendont folder or it won't even start.

I believe it has something to do with how the Wii U treats the virtual Wii and it considers the HBC a Virtual Console game so it forces 4:3.

Fortunately seems to be limited to the homebrew channel menu.

DIRTY-D

What 2 files? I'm having the same issue.

OP tutorial is inadequate tho, doesn't say you need 2 extra files in the Nintendont folder or it won't even start.

Rich!

What 2 files? I'm having the same issue.

Because it isnt true. I have boot.dol in my nintendont folder and nothing else. Never had any issues.

Madao

there's a mini-app that fixes the HBC's aspect ratio.

aspect fix

put the aspect fix folder inside the "apps" folder. then, when you load the HBC, load the aspect fix and it should reboot the HBC in 16:9.

Rich!

I had problems running it without the other files, even the official project page tells you to download them.

Hm. That is true.

I will add it to the OP soon. Sorry I'm being a lazy dick with it all,but the New3DS thread OT has taken up my attention recently

foltzie1

Any word on if the new GCN adapter will be supported?

No one answered this, but it is most likely a yes, but it depends on someone actually sniffing the adapter and seeing how the data is sent over the USB lines and then writing a driver. It shouldnt be too difficult, but I say that as someone who wouldnt know where to start .

jon bones

I've heard the GCN version of Metroid Prime is 4:3 but it appears widescreen when played via Nintendon't.

Is that normal? Is my screen just being stretched or is this some emulator magic? I'd love to be able to play MP1&2 in 16:9 without using a WiiMote for aiming.

Timeless

I've heard the GCN version of Metroid Prime is 4:3 but it appears widescreen when played via Nintendon't.

Is that normal? Is my screen just being stretched or is this some emulator magic? I'd love to be able to play MP1&2 in 16:9 without using a WiiMote for aiming.
Can't confirm / deny for Nintendon't but the programmer's similar program on the Wii (DIOS MIOS) did allow for 16:9. Depending on the game it can create harmless graphical glitches.

Ex. enemies not appearing on the far edges of the screen (normally behind the black bars) in Pikmin 1, fire blur effects in the same spot not happening in Zelda: TP.

Rich!

Ex. enemies not appearing on the far edges of the screen (normally behind the black bars) in Pikmin 1, fire blur effects in the same spot not happening in Zelda: TP.

Actually, that's been fixed in Nintendon't. Twilight Princess now works flawlessly in widescreen as it uses the gameshark code to extend the rendering area - its not using a standard widescreen hack.

Doczu

Sady stretched.

jon bones

Thanks for your help, guys.

In regards to DIOS MIOS - will setting something up like that conflict with Nintendon't? I'd love to be able to buy and store a bunch of Wii games on a USB drive for easy pick up and play access.

Rich!

Thanks for your help, guys.

In regards to DIOS MIOS - will setting something up like that conflict with Nintendon't? I'd love to be able to buy and store a bunch of Wii games on a USB drive for easy pick up and play access.

You don't need Dios Mios at all. It is completely obsolete and not recommended by its developer, who is the guy also behind Nintendont.

Nintendont is all you need.

Rich!

so Nintendont also plays Wii ISOs? is any further set up required?

No. Youre confused.

Wii USB loading has nothing to do with gamecube or nintendont. Its entirely separate.

Nintendont does not need any extra installation or configuration.

Just do not install DIOSMios.

jon bones

No. Youre confused.

Wii USB loading has nothing to do with gamecube or nintendont. Its entirely separate.

Nintendont does not need any extra installation or configuration.

Just do not install DIOSMios.

OK thanks for clarifying. What is the preferred method of Wii USB loading?

myca77

Any news on the Wii-U gamecube controller adaptor compatibility? If that works I may have to dig out some Gamecube pads and install this thing.

Top Bottom