• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pretty sure you have to install cIOS to get USB Loader GX to work.

Already done. USB Loader GX is already working for me.

I just have zero idea on how to get it working with Nintendont. I don't see a mention of it anywhere on the USB Loader GX sites and whatnot.

Rich!

I just have zero idea on how to get it working with Nintendont. I don't see a mention of it anywhere on the USB Loader GX sites and whatnot.

there is a specific build. I will upload it in a bit.

Once both are loaded onto the sd card in the right directories, USB loader GX should pick it up automatically, you just need to go in to (iirc) game loaders in GX settings and tell it to use Nintendont for GC games. Unfortunately the latest version of Nintendont broke compatibility, so it will tell you that the current version of Nintendont is not compatible when you try to load a game.

Anyone knows if Nintendon't supports 4 controller? either pad Pro or DS3?

I still have my Wii hooked up for Gamecube Mario Party 7, I would love to finally put it in storage if Nintendon't can manage it.

Rich!

Anyone knows if Nintendon't supports 4 controller? either pad Pro or DS3?

I still have my Wii hooked up for Gamecube Mario Party 7, I would love to finally put it in storage if Nintendon't can manage it.

Yep. Any combination.

I use a gamecube controller via usb adapter, wiimote with ccpro and two wii u pro pads.

Kouriozan

Ok, I should get my copy of Brawl tomorrow.
But I'll have to wait until the Gamecube adapter is out and compatible.
Smash Wii U being released one week earlier in NA it should be compatible day one for EU, at least.

foltzie1

Possibly off topic, but I'll be interested to find out of the Gamecube adapter is using two USB ports because it needs the power and data only runs over one line, or if each line is sending two controller signals.

In either event I'll be interested in seeing how the data is structured in the USB feed.

Dimmle

This question's probably already been asked, but would I be able to rip a Wii game like Brawl using the same programs/tools specified in the OP?

BocoDragon

Alright, everything is set, now waiting the official gamecube controller adapter.
Me too :) excited for that piece to make it the perfect Nintendo console.

Possibly off topic, but I'll be interested to find out of the Gamecube adapter is using two USB ports because it needs the power and data only runs over one line, or if each line is sending two controller signals.

In either event I'll be interested in seeing how the data is structured in the USB feed.

Good question. I'd imagine it's usb + power though. Same reason many hard drives need a 2 USB Y cable- the Wii U just has really low power output via USB.

This question's probably already been asked, but would I be able to rip a Wii game like Brawl using the same programs/tools specified in the OP?
Yes. But you don't need Nintendont for that. Any of the USB loaders can do it by themselves.

celebi23

Finally got it working on my WiiU. Playing my old Animal Crossing town (got the game shortly after launch) is pretty awesome. Apparently been away from the town for like 140 months :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hey guys, any reason this wouldn't work to install nintendont?

finding a 2gb standard sd card is a pain in the ass

450.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sweet, what a painless set up!

games seem to look and run great, but i have a question: is it possible to edit controls? tony hawk's pro skater controls make no sense at all...

Gleethor

I think I have an older version of nintendont installed, is there a way to update it without reinstalling or do I need to do that?

Rich!

I think I have an older version of nintendont installed, is there a way to update it without reinstalling or do I need to do that?

Go to the options menu and press X for the update screen. You can then get the newest version and it installs automatically.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I know there's no risk for the Wii U side when installing this, but could this get me banned from the WiiWare shop? There's still a few games I want to buy there...

Rich!

I know there's no risk for the Wii U side when installing this, but could this get me banned from the WiiWare shop? There's still a few games I want to buy there...

No one has ever had that happen to them and due to the way the Wii system works, Nintendo could never do that anyway.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
No one has ever had that happen to them and due to the way the Wii system works, Nintendo could never do that anyway.

Perfect. I know what I'm installing tomorrow to play some Rogue Squadron then...!

Who

Banned
Wait so you can use pro controller, wii remote, and controller pro, but no gamepad?

That's odd. Doesn't gamepad use bluetooth?

That would be the greatest thing ever *deep sigh*

Rich!

Wait so you can use pro controller, wii remote, and controller pro, but no gamepad?

That's odd. Doesn't gamepad use bluetooth?

That would be the greatest thing ever *deep sigh*

The reason why has been explained numerous times by myself in this thread.

In Wii mode, the Gamepad is literally a TV and nothing else. Nothing can be done about it, as the Wii mode does not have access to that side of the console. What happens is that when the console is booted into Wii Mode, a section of Wii U mode is set to mirror the image output to the gamepad, and occupies the gamepad completely.

It is already taken over and used by the Wii U side of things, so there's no way for homebrew to hijack it without then losing the gamepad video stream. Using it for controls on Nintendont is theoretically possible but you can only have controls, not video too. It's one or the other.

Who

Banned
The reason why has been explained numerous times by myself in this thread.

In Wii mode, the Gamepad is literally a TV and nothing else. Nothing can be done about it, as the Wii mode does not have access to that side of the console.

It is already taken over and used by the Wii U side of things too, so there's no way for homebrew to hijack it without then losing the gamepad video stream. Using it for controls on Nintendont is theoretically possible but you can only have controls, not video too. It's one or the other.

I'm sorry man should have done some more reading. Thanks anyways for answering though.

Rich!

For some reason I cant get my DS3 too work every thing else works fine.

Go to the options menu in nintendont, press x on the pro controller or 1 on wiimote to access the update menu, download newest program and controller updates. Restart app, plug DS3 in to the lower USB port at the back, enable HID controllers in menu and play.

Gleethor

Go to the options menu in nintendont, press x on the pro controller or 1 on wiimote to access the update menu, download newest program and controller updates. Restart app, plug DS3 in to the lower USB port at the back, enable HID controllers in menu and play.

I'm not seeing an options menu, and in the settings menu pressing x appears to do nothing.

celebi23

I can't get over how smooth & awesome this is. I managed to save all of my memory card save files to an SD Card via Gamecube Saver & organized them with the Memcard Manager in Dolphin. Even with converting the iso's to DiscEX format, I'll probably need a bigger memory card. Hopefully I can finally beat the final boss in Luigi's Mansion (got discouraged back in the day & kinda stopped playing :p )

BocoDragon

I have Nintendont working on its own.

I have USB Loader GX working for Wii games.

But I can't get USB Loader to play Nintendont games properly.

Can anyone confirm that the very latest USB Loader GX/Nintendont are working properly together?

Just got a Wii U and to make sure, this works with the latest fw and you don't need an og Wii to bring over the homebrew channel right?

BocoDragon

Just got a Wii U and to make sure, this works with the latest fw and you don't need an og Wii to bring over the homebrew channel right?

Yes. You don't need an original Wii for the modding process. It works on everything up to date... I just did it myself since the last fw update.

But you do need an original Wii to rip your Gamecube discs.

SaiyanRaoh

I'd like to know this as well. My Wii U is on the current FW and not even softmodded. Does that rule me out? I thought I read somewhere that Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars would work in softmodding. Or am I confusing this Nintendont method with an older outdated method?

I have Nintendont working on its own.

I have USB Loader GX working for Wii games.

But I can't get USB Loader to play Nintendont games properly.

Can anyone confirm that the very latest USB Loader GX/Nintendont are working properly together?

I'm not on the latest versions, but I remember I had to switch some stuff in GX's settings. You sure you did that?

The obvious settings: show Gc games on the list, set default Gc "method" to Nintendon't.

Rich!

I'd like to know this as well. My Wii U is on the current FW and not even softmodded. Does that rule me out? I thought I read somewhere that Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars would work in softmodding. Or am I confusing this Nintendont method with an older outdated method?

Use smash bros brawl or those two games to install the initial homebrew channel exploit. It will always work regardless of Wii U firmware.

BocoDragon

I'm not on the latest versions, but I remember I had to switch some stuff in GX's settings. You sure you did that?

The obvious settings: show Gc games on the list, set default Gc "method" to Nintendon't.

Thank you. But I did do that. It's definitely trying to load through Nintendont... it just doesn't work :(

Use smash bros brawl or those two games to install the initial homebrew channel exploit. It will always work regardless of Wii U firmware.

I feel it's good to also let people know they need a 2GB or lesser SD card for the Smash Bros exploit. The non-SDHC type.

BocoDragon

I think I've discovered the major deal breaker of Nintendont. It can't force 4:3?? To my chagrin I've discovered my TV won't 4:3 squeeze an HDMI image.

Yes I know there's a really cool "force widescreen" option for GC games, and it works pretty well. But it introduces all kinds of junk on fixed width content, and even in 3D you have things popup in the margins. Thanks but no thanks. I'd choose to display in the original aspect ratio if I could.

Is there a way to do this?

SaiyanRaoh

That's great! Does anyone have the post or link to the working method for the Lego games. I can't get access to Smash Bros to try it. But I can get my hands on Lego Star Wars. I've read a couple of ways but they were for older FW in Jan and Feb this year. And some of those comments say the method stopped working as of 5.0.0.

Yasawas

I think I've discovered the major deal breaker of Nintendont. It can't force 4:3?? To my chagrin I've discovered my TV won't 4:3 squeeze an HDMI image.

Yes I know there's a really cool "force widescreen" option for GC games, and it works pretty well. But it introduces all kinds of junk on fixed width content, and even in 3D you have things popup in the margins. Thanks but no thanks. I'd choose to display in the original aspect ratio if I could.

Is there a way to do this?

Nope, and from Googling they have no immediate plans to add it. In "game" mode my TV will always play full screen with an HDMI input and I can't change it so it means I need to change that setting to "normal" where I can manually control the aspect ratio. It's a bit annoying but I can live with it.

Rich!

You can force 4:3 using an older version of the homebrew channel iirc. The new version has the 4:3 side effect patched out.

My homebrew channel forces 4:3 and works with Nintendont. Want me to upload the *.dol?

If it works then theres your solution. You would have to install forwarders for Wii backup loaders and other homebrew though to get 16:9.

Edit: I was wrong - it switches back to widescreen when you boot a gamecube game.ah well.

You can force 4:3 using an older version of the homebrew channel iirc. The new version has the 4:3 side effect patched out.

My homebrew channel forces 4:3 and works with Nintendont. Want me to upload the *.dol?

If it works then theres your solution. You would have to install forwarders for Wii backup loaders and other homebrew though to get 16:9.

I see enough people mentioning this that I hope they make being able to force 4:3 a feature in a future release.

Top Bottom