• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

I'm getting my refurb unit on Monday - it comes with a one year warranty. Do folks suggest I wait until that one year is at least no good until I do this? I don't want to have a refurb unit without that year cushion from the start, but I really want to have my GCN games available to play on the gamepad.

RobotVM

i can't get it to work. Nothing comes up when I open the homebrew channel. On the SD card i put the nintendon't file like this root/apps/nintendont/boot.dol is this correct?

i can't get it to work. Nothing comes up when I open the homebrew channel. On the SD card i put the nintendon't file like this root/apps/nintendont/boot.dol is this correct?

You don't have a folder called "root" do you?

The root of a drive is just the baseline window, like the desktop of the card. As soon as you open the card in your computer you should see the apps folder immediately.

how come the analog triggers dont work when the gamecube controller is hooked up as a classic controller when the classic controller has analog triggers??

Since you already answered the root question, you're probably missing a meta.XML file (which is important to Hbc since dol file doesn't contain some Wii specific information).

Timu

Here's some screens I took of Link in Soul Calibur II using HDMI output:

iboEUYlLiCwSpD.PNG
izShZF2F4KLWo.PNG
iOxyagpAqKTEE.PNG
i8q12HyuJ7UJC.PNG
iDwQLbeSLa0PM.PNG
iBSFoz1W9qJvX.PNG

Alric

Do certain games freeze or am I having issues. Whenever I play eternal darkness or Spartan total wars the games freeze at the startup

Rich!

Do certain games freeze or am I having issues. Whenever I play eternal darkness or Spartan total wars the games freeze at the startup

If you are using the discex compressed format then thats why. Use the clean ISO instead.

jamsy

Might be a stupid question but is there any way to play Wii or GC games with using just the Wii U gamepad?

Do you think this could be used for Gamecube Virtual Console games to be made for the Wii U?
I don't think so. I believe Nintendo wants to make their emulators in house to ensure 99% accurate emulation to the hardware. Though there's one exception since M2 did the GBA emulator for Wii U.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you think this could be used for Gamecube Virtual Console games to be made for the Wii U?

Nintendo won't release GBA virtual console titles on 3DS as they use DS mode instead of native to 3DS, so it's doubtful they'd do something similar here. They would want a GC emulator native on Wii U, not via Wii. Though there was whatever they were thinking with ambassador titles.

My monitor can't force 4:3 so I guess I'm not using this til they add in the ability to force it. Ruins an otherwise perfect thing.

FSLink

Banned
So does this mean Project M works on the Wii U?

Yep. I actually only play Project M on my Wii U at the moment, been playing it on there for months. I use a Mayflash GC to Wii Remote adapter so I can use a GC controller. Not perfect but it'll do while I lack a Wii to use.

jooso

I have a NTSC SSB Brawl that I used to play on my softmodded Wii. I have a PAL WiiU, so I can't do the hack without buying a PAL Brawl, right?

Rich!

I have a NTSC SSB Brawl that I used to play on my softmodded Wii. I have a PAL WiiU, so I can't do the hack without buying a PAL Brawl, right?

Correct. Just buy it and sell it afterwards.

Or buy it for £12 from GAME and then sell for £8 to CEX.

After installing the hack, you can use the ntsc copy of course.

I still don't quite understand what to do with the GCMM raw files to get them working with Nintendon't :/

Also, a group of my Wii games is missing, which annoyingly includes my copy of Smash Bros Brawl.

Rich!

lol, encountered my first nintendont related glitch today.

In Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, the music tracks carry on playing even when paused or when you end your run and looking at your stats. They don't stop until you start playing a level again at which point it changes

however, it's actually awesome. It means you actually hear the full versions of the tracks rather than the music being cut off at the 2 minute mark, and it adds a bit of variety to the menus that would otherwise have silence!

celebi23

richisawesome, thanks for the guide. I've got my copy of Animal Crossing on my SDcard, backed up my old town save (with all the NES games too :p) and now all I need is a copy of Brawl (seem to have lost mine to setup homebrew on my Wiiu). It's going to be awesome visiting the town I haven't been to in years :p

PMS341

Weird issue here. Installed the Homebrew Channel just fine (I modded my original Wii years ago, so this was no problem), and I used CleanRip to backup a few games, which are now ISOs, onto my USB external (plugged into the top USB port in the back of the console). After starting the HBC and Nintendont, I select USB and the app freezes then crashes, usually after about a second.

Is it folder structure? When using an SD, I know it's supposed to be the root folder, then games/whatever/game.iso. Is this the same when loading from USB?

Also, I used GCMM to back up some original GC saves from my old memory card, and now have them on the SD. Any way to use these for the GC games on Nintendont?

Finally got around to doing this, playing my old copies of SA1/2 and Soul Calibur 2 with Link just...brightened my day.

Now if I can just find a copy of Mario Sunshine at one of my local game shops.

PMS341

Now I'm getting FS Check error 12 every time I use either my HDD, or just a USB stick. Both formatted to FAT32.

Yasawas

Sweet guide sir. I got this working on my Wii the other day and it was awesome but I'm going to get the wallet out and buy a copy of Brawl today so I can do it for real now. Do I need to do anything fancy to get the Pro Controller to work or is it recognised by default?

Rich!

Sweet guide sir. I got this working on my Wii the other day and it was awesome but I'm going to get the wallet out and buy a copy of Brawl today so I can do it for real now. Do I need to do anything fancy to get the Pro Controller to work or is it recognised by default?

It literally just works. Just press a button in the nintendont menu and it assigns it automatically.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thanks to this thread I started the process of homebrew on my Wii U.

Got most of it working, but I have no idea how to set up Nintendont with USB Loader GX. Seems like there's no acknowledgement of it anywhere in settings.

Can anyone tell me how to get it running on USB loader GX... Or any other launcher? Thanks!

Alric

Thanks to this thread I started the process of homebrew on my Wii U.

Got most of it working, but I have no idea how to set up Nintendont with USB Loader GX. Seems like there's no acknowledgement of it anywhere in settings.

Can anyone tell me how to get it running on USB loader GX... Or any other launcher? Thanks!

Pretty sure you have to install cIOS to get USB Loader GX to work.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this is the week i finally get this shit up and running

need to blast my wii u full of tony hawk games

finley83

Banned
Missing most important piece of information;

you can play TimeSplitters 2 with the wiimote + nunchunk combo

Sorry to seem dumb but I can't figure out how to do this. Is there a special option in the settings or something? TS2 and 3 don't recognise any button presses on the wiimote or nunchuk.

Baleoce

Looking at the smash stack/ boot mii info now, and it says there's different versions depending on if you use NTSC-U NTSC-J or PAL/KOR. Is that the same with vWii on Wii U or is there just one homebrew channel installer for that? I'm European PAL region.

EDIT - Nvm, I get now that the region thing is referrring specifically to smash stack and your version of smash.

Double Edit - having said *that*, the PAL/KOR link for smash stackdoesn't seem to work. So I'm back to square one.

Eyothrie

what is the latest version? I just went to the official page (google code page), and I don't see any reference to the version number. Are the older versions available anywhere? If so, is there a link? I can't find it

Eyothrie

Has anyone gotten Eternal Darkness to load past the first screen with the Edgar Allan Poe quote? Mine freezes on this screen, and I have to turn off my Wii using the power button on the console. The controllers won't do anything. I checked the compatibility list, and the game shows green in all categories. I'm on the latest build of Nintendont. Other games work fine.

Edit: NVM. I saw the earlier post about the DiscEx format causing it. Added the big iso, and it works fine now. This sucks though, because I've spent the past couple of days ripping isos and converting them into DiscEx. Is there a compatibility list specific to DiscEx formated games? I don't want to go back and rip the 40+ isos I just deleted after formatting to DiscEx!

solomon

Once the gamecube adapter works in wii mode I'll probably do the hack. I just ran out of warranty so as well do it.

Top Bottom