• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Wii U Gameplay Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulkezX

I know it was a demo, but was I the only one who thought then open world implementation felt extremely empty (and there simply to make travel longer and the world to feel "bigger")?

When he said it'd be 5 more minutes to their destination, all I could think was how boring running through the empty world would be.

It's almost as if the game is a year away from release.

Which isn't much time at all.

Jamix012

Emulating the original Zelda is far from what I want, personally, as I really find that game to be a chore. However I understand that not every game in the series can be tailored for me and that there are thousands upon thousands of Zelda fans, each wanting different things from the series and they can't please everyone no matter what game they put out.

I'm excited, but I hope it won't bite me in the ass.

I feel like people are being sarcastic about the horse thing, but it's something that the creator of SotC talked about way back when. In most games when a player gets on a horse, they just start controlling the horse. But the horse should be a separate entity that's allowed to make movements on its own and act as its own agent

So yeah, the horse not running into trees if you don't remain in active control is a pretty cool thing

Mory Dunz

Emulating the original Zelda is far from what I want, personally, as I really find that game to be a chore. However I understand that not every game in the series can be tailored for me and that there are thousands upon thousands of Zelda fans, each wanting different things from the series and they can't please everyone no matter what game they put out.

I'm excited, but I hope it won't bite me in the ass.

Stop being rational

Mato

My initial disappointment has now abated. Closer inspection reveals some environmental diversity that is hindered by the bad quality of the video. Some stuff:

0:18 waterfall
0:52 "19:00" (time?)
1:18 snow (top right)
1:27 vine for climbing
1:29 area in the distance seems to be the same as the one in reveal video
1:32 town in the distance?
1:37 lake
1:38 gui element in bottom right corner looks simple/flat/contemporary. hope it stays that way
2:13 lake house
3:45 volcano?
-Possibility that Epona can be used to store items akin to a chest.
-VASTLY prefer Link's new clothes and hood. Hope you are not forced to wear same old green clothes later on.
-You can eat apples to replenish energy (what else?).
-Peaceful fauna seems to be extensive and a probable central game concept.
-Argo.
-Bill Trinen.

Love the looks of the gameplay so far. Epona's improvements are absolutely essential for something like this. The sail cloth is what it should have been in SS. Love that.

I'm not too worried right now about the emptiness. I think they will hopefully find a balance. I mean, they aren't going to go and show off all the cool areas that you'll find while adventuring. That kind of defeats the purpose of all that space, it's to create tension while wondering around. Not only that, but with bosses like the big beamos that chases you, it's going to be interesting having all that room I think.

The lighting looks fabulous. My only complaint visually is that a lot of the areas look really, hmm, clean. Such as how the 'heavily wooded' areas look a lot more like a city park than a forest, and so forth. I REALLY hope there are more varied locations. Otherwise, I'm having flashbacks to Oblivion.

Lunar15

I will say that I'm a bit worried about the crunch for this one. This would be merely 4 years after Skyward Sword. That's less than the time between TP and SS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I rewatched it in 720p, things I noticed: there's hardly any pop up, the lightning is great, with some cool looking trees shadows on Link's tunique. The part where Link encounters other horses gave the game some wild west vibes, there should be indians in this Zelda :)

And the art style. I'm so, so happy with the art style.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel like people are being sarcastic about the horse thing, but it's something that the creator of SotC talked about way back when. In most games when a player gets on a horse, they just start controlling the horse. But the horse should be a separate entity that's allowed to make movements on its own and act as its own agent

So yeah, the horse not running into trees if you don't remain in active control is a pretty cool thing

Yeah, it's pretty neat and frees your character up to do whatever. I often dislike horse controls so allowing for simple movement to control what your horse does is fine. At least for me anyway.

I thought that what they showed was great, but I wonder if this casual and straightforward approach to marketing is going to work. Just giving us raw gameplay when the game is a year off and anybody else would have shown, at most, a carefully edited trailer, is a bold move and kind of assumes a lot of understanding from their audience.

I'd appreciate it if it pans out, though. There's little doubt that this strategy paid off in spades with the Treehouse at E3.

ugoo18

Anyone else hoping for different types of weather in this kind of like what Xenoblade had, with the day and night cycle i'd love for example to be out at night in the middle of a thunderstorm for example. Why i'm out in the middle of a thunderstorm on horseback is another matter entirely lol.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I rewatched it in 720p, things I noticed: there's hardly any pop up, the lightning is great, with some cool looking trees shadows on Link's tunique. The part where Link encounters other horses gave the game some wild west vibes, there should be indians in this Zelda :)

And the art style. I'm so so happy with the art style.

the art style looks fantastic.

GCX

I will say that I'm a bit worried about the crunch for this one. This would be merely 4 years after Skyward Sword. That's less than the time between TP and SS.
The active development of Skyward Sword started a few years after Twilight Princess. They spent a lot of time doing different motion control tech demos before they started full work on the game.

Looks like Zelda WiiU went into development right after SS which explains the shorter time between games.

Bagu

It would be cool if the game is set between Skyward Sword and Ocarina, seeing Hyrule when it's 'new' would be great.
Complete shot in the dark, but looking at the map makes me think this takes place after the NES titles. Or at the very least modeled after Zelda 1's map.

Also the 19:00 seems to be the in game clock.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think nitnendo is absolutely nailing the horse animation, back in 2004/5 when we saw twilight princess nintendo had pretty much the defacto horse animation at the time(SOTC was no slouch either) and its looking like they're going to be the bes this time aswell, not to mention on random NPC horses in the field are just as well animated.

Complete shot in the dark, but looking at the map makes me think this takes place after the NES titles. Or at the very least modeled after Zelda 1's map.

Also the 19:00 seems to be the in game clock.

It is absolutely modeled after Zelda 1's map

65n0Jth.png

zelda-overworld.png

TaiKH92

Banned
I think this looks really good and ambitious, I'm glad they're finally taking it to the next level (not saying I didn't love the previous games)
I think there'll be secrets, hidden caves and stuff like that in the overworld but they just didn't show that here because I think the point of this footage was to give an idea of how big the world will be (kinda like the FFXV demo)

AGoodODST

That looked really good! I liked the wild horses running along side Link and Epona.

Seemed to be a diverse landscape judging from the map screen and the few cut aways we got of traveling. Water falls, lakes, forests, mountains, that coast looking area when they showed the map.

Probably silly but when Link was gliding off the mountain and you saw the dense trees below him I was like "holy shit an actual forest!" Forests in Zelda games have always been shit, can't wait to actually walk through trees!

Reserving judgment about an "empty" over world for now as it's impossible to get a proper idea from the tiny segments of each area they showed.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Hmm, that actually looks like the whole map, I doubt it's going to be bigger. Really cool that they are showing it to us.

Could be possible but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The zoom out button is grayed out.
Now as I watch the video more, I am unsure if that is the entire world map or just the part that they want to reveal so far. It at least looks like their should be more stuff on the left side.

I loved this. I really like that they finally broke tradition on Link's outfit; the blue outfit with the removable hood is a breath of fresh air.

anaron

really discouraging. like the hand-crafted, distinct and personality filled sensibility of zelda has been lost to pander to those horrible western open world fantasy games like skyrim and dragon age. or maybe more the eerie emptiness of shadow if the colossus' world with the artistry of a windows screensaver.

Yeah, there's something incredibly deflating about this footage...

Converse

Banned
I don't know guys. I'm hearing this "barren," "empty," "lifeless" mantra, but I'm not seeing it. Granted, the path traveled seems to be pretty light on events and fauna, but my eyes keep wandering to things I want to explore when I watch this zoomed-in video from GameXplain. Par exemple:

--0:07: There appears to be a settlement down to the left, as indicated by the red flags. There is also what looks like a climbable tower right in front of Link, on the rock outcropping.
--0:20: Okay, not a thing, but this is that moment where the game actualizes this image:
2563727-zelda-1-art.jpg

It has been pointed out, but this is something special. This is a vision that has existed since 1986 coming to fruition.
--0:21: What is a thing, though, is that waterfall on the mountains to the right. You know there are always secrets in waterfalls.
--0:24: When the camera pans around, it looks like a town on the outcropping to Link's left.
--0:32: There are some conspicuous looking woods high on the mountaintop to the right, then the "suspicious looking tower" and a bridge behind it when Aonuma zooms in.
--1:04: Immediately, on the map, I see a lake shaped like a skull, snowy outskirts, and a remote, southerly island. I want to check all of these things out. Right now.
--1:29: Looks like some sort of building down in the valley as the camera spins around Link.
--2:09: Y'all see stuff right in that treeline that Aonuma's aiming at, but not going into? I see stuff.
--2:22: Have some apples.
--2:28: Strange stone structures. Miyamoto knows about dungeons, listen up.
--3:09: That rock on the right sure has a strange symbol on it. I'd stop that horse right there.
--3:11: Now we're at The Gates of Argonath.
--3:33: Goats all over. Looks like one is standing up on that rock.
--3:48: All the pretty horses.

This is in four minutes of footage. I'm not trying to be an apologist in any way; my point is simple: within that four (admittedly conservative) minutes, my eyes jump to many, many interesting places off the beaten path. I want to check every single one of those places out. And that excites me. That's Zelda.

Steroyd

Well I'm getting that currently non-existant Zelda Wii U bundle next year, and a Starfox game will be waiting when I get one, fuck yeah.

I'll bet the green tunic and hat will be in the game somehow. I feel like this is an optional outfit.

Damn so pretty much confirmed no motion controls. Laaaame.

I don't see any reason there couldn't be an optional setup. Gamepad doesn't seem to do anything too special. Wiimote could use gyro aiming for sure and maybe a simple motion swordplay setup.

You don't consider LBW open world? Best Zelda in recent memory IMO.

The 2D Zeldas are definitely open world, more than the 3D ones. The 3D ones are more reliant on zones and hub worlds

If the images match up like suggested, then the game either takes place in one of three settings in my opinion. Before first Legend of Zelda in The Gold Era, after The Adventure of Link, or is a remake.

I've already cast my vote as remake

overcast

I'm not even a zelda fan, but there can definitely be plenty filled in the world in a year. This is early. Don't you guys think you're jumping to conclusions?

Xun

Fantastic footage I thought.

Also unless it changes dynamically (or it briefly got taken out), it doesn't seem like the grass moves anymore?

Loofy

I don't see any reason there couldn't be an optional setup. Gamepad doesn't seem to do anything too special. Wiimote could use gyro aiming for sure and maybe a simple motion swordplay setup.
Youre right I guess they could use swipe motions or the right analog to do sword swipes. Heres hoping.

Durden77

God this got me so hype. Especially when Shigeru said "That looks suspicious, we could be near a dungeon.

If this really is like the orginal Zelda in 3D I'm gonna lose it. So exciting.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ill propably buy this anyway as I love Zelda but wow that open world looks boring and lifeless as hell.

I fell asleep and missed the whole show too lol

Can someone tell me the strengths of the zelda franchise? Ive only ever played a little of windwaker and tp but to me it seemed like a very simple action game with puzzles and basic story. Is that all there is to the franchise

Seems like you just don't like the franchise...I mean, if you had said this after only playing WW I'd be like "Yeah, I get where you're coming from.", but TP is far from being a simple game.

As far as I'm concerned the true strength of the Zelda series comes from the harmony between it's fantastic player mechanics, non-disposable item mechanics, and it's puzzle/obstacle course-based level design (Elements that are abundant in TP); if Zelda didn't have those things, it would be a pretty generic fantasy action game.
Also, one can easily find stuff like "discovery" or "adventure" in other video games but the core gameplay elements that I just mentioned are what's unique and engaging about LoZ.
There aren't too many action adventure games that do what Zelda does. A lot of the big mainstream action-adventure titles that we get are way more focused on fighting than climbing/jumping/running or time traveling to solve puzzles; LoZ always feels like a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom