• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 vs Mass Effect 2: Which game had the best single player experience?

Which game had the best single player experience?

Results are only viewable after voting.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The gameplay? Ya know, the main reason I play games?

Shit was basic and mindless. The spectacle just wasn't doing it for me, sorry.

Fair enough - I completely disagree. Obviously when you say "mindless" gameplay I had to laugh but I guess that also comes with the opinion. Didn't knew you had such high regard for Mass Effect 2 gameplay or its spectacle for that matter.

It's so clearly a matter of taste. I couldn't get into ME2 at all. I hate that game and abandoned it. I just hate the core gameplay, and I had my hope set on ME3's story mode, but that still makes you go through the boring core gameplay instead of being able to auto-pilot or skip it, so I didn't even make it through that one and I got it for free on PSPlus. Uncharted 2 on the other hand, loved it start to finish, as I did Uncharted 3. The combination of verticality, melee and shooting was fantastic for me, and I also played a lot of the mulitplayer, which felt fresh because of the verticality in particular. Uncharted 1 was amazing too, but I got stuck in one of the big puzzle levels and abandoned it. But then I still returned to that a year later and finished it.

I wouldn't presume to say that means ME2 is a worse game. As I said, it's a matter of taste clearly.

Kezen

Banned
Not even a contest - ME2 wins. UC2 is a rather awful game with bad combat mechanics.

I would not say awful (I enjoyed it quite a bit) but Mass Effect 2 wins hands down. Fantastic game through and through with great lore and characters.

KORNdoggy

this is pretty easy for me. uncharted 2. i found ME2 to be the most dissapointing of the trilogy and a pretty poor cover based shooter to boot with the worst story and characters.

Ummm that is my opinion. I dont think Mass Effect 2 is good in anything. Hell I preferred Deus Ex HR to Mass Effect 2. That is just my opinion man. You do not need to take it seriously and I am not forcing you too. Its fine. Plenty of people feel that way about other critically acclaimed games as well. Hell I hate UC3 equally.

theres a difference between not liking something and claiming the only thing good about ME2 is the soundtrack. you obviously are not being objectional. Its less about opinion and more about fanboy hate. The graphics are good. the scope is good. etc.
things like those are just fundamental elements that are more of a given than opinion based on what this game does in comparison to other games at that time.

Seanspeed

Banned
Lol, UC2 is being compared to Mass Effect not Demon's Souls, regardless of how you think of UC2's gameplay, ME2 would have to be your first game to consider it having better gameplay than UC2.

Hell, even the people that picked ME2 in this thread admitted that UC2 had better gameplay.

Fair enough - I completely disagree. Didn't knew you had such high regard for Mass Effect 2 gameplay or its spectacle for that matter.
Gameplay in Mass Effect 2 was pretty great, I felt. The combat wasn't the most tight shooter controls ever or anything, but the guns+biotics, handling squadmates and encounters were pretty good. Plus I enjoy RPG gameplay. There's more to gameplay than just combat, which many people forget.

I really am totally floored how you guys are trying to prove something here. Like - I didn't enjoy Uncharted 2, sorry. Going by your avatars and screenname, I'm sure that hurts your feelings somehow, but you're not going to argue your way into proving that I enjoyed Uncharted more than I did. Get over it. lol

Game4life

Banned
theres a difference between not liking something and claiming the only thing good ME2 does well is the soundtrack. you obviously are not being objectional. Its less about opinion and more about fanboy hate. The graphics are good. the scope is good. etc.
things like those are just fundamental elements that are more of a given than opinion based on what this game does in comparison to other games at that time.

I dont consider scope as a category. It is ambitious but yeah I cant reward games for ambition if the execution is not great. I dont think the graphics are that good. I think the animation is pretty poor as well. I mean it is perfectly fine to think ME2 is a mediocre game and that the only good thing is the soundtrack. If it makes you feel any better I think ME2 is better than UC3 which is below mediocre.

You can complain about anything in UC2 but the gameplay. It was fantastic at least IMO. I can't believe ppl are actually saying stuff like UC2 is Irrelevant, Dull, etc.... If UC2 is considered dull, then hat Uncharted 2 have I been playing?? It's like we got different copies of that freaking game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How can you even compare those two games? It is two completely different games with two completely different SP campaigns and in completely different genres. The last Tomb Raider is the right game to compare with Uncharted 2, and if you ask me.... I think both games have very enjoyable SP campaign from start to finish.

I dont consider scope as a category. It is ambitious but yeah I cant reward games for ambition if the execution is not great. I dont think the graphics are that good. I think the animation is pretty poor as well. I mean it is perfectly fine to think ME2 is a mediocre game and that the only good thing is the soundtrack. If it makes you feel any better I think ME2 is better than UC3 which is below mediocre.

cant take you seriously.
and after checking your history, I now understand everything.

not liking the art, sure...

but the graphics not being good?

lol

GnawtyDog

Banned
I really am totally floored how you guys are trying to prove something here. Like - I didn't enjoy Uncharted 2, sorry. Going by your avatars and screenname, I'm sure that hurts your feelings somehow, but you're not going to argue your way into proving that I enjoyed Uncharted more than I did. Get over it. lol

Is it just me or are you getting defensive on just a simple question.

I'm merely wondering what's "dull as fuck" as you put it and I only got a generic answer. I mean "mindless" gameplay... between dull, basic and mindless... that's a lots of adjectives and zero substance.

I am sure you'll get over it too.

Alo0oy

Banned

I'm merely wondering what's "dull as fuck" as you put it and I only got a generic answer. I mean "mindless" gameplay... between dull, basic and mindless... that's a lots of adjectives and zero substance.

The last time I argued with him he bailed after I asked him to prove that most people on GAF think UC is nothing without the "spectacle".

Game4life

Banned
cant take you seriously.
and after checking your history, I now understand everything.

not liking the art, sure...

but the graphics not being good?

lol

After checking your objective but wonderful post history I am truly convinced. ME2 has objectively good graphics and objectively good gameplay and objectively great scope and objectively amazing soundtrack. Thank you for showing the light.

KKRT00

Mass Effect 2, and I don't think it's close to be honest. Uncharted 2 is an amazing game that is a thrill to play, but ME2 feels so much more substantial and impactful.

And that last 90 minute section... man, unbeatable.

This. I finished it at least 5 times, i could never do that with U2.
Content that ME 2 gives in comparison to U2 is just unrivaled.
To be honest U2 cant even stand next to Dishonored, let alone ME 2.

The problem with ME2 was that the main questline was relatively weak by comparison to how strong many of the optional character quests were.
I agree, but that end mission. The 'bubble' part was the best thing, i've ever encountered in a RPG.

Truant

At least ME2 had some cool characters. Everyone is Uncharted 2 is punchable, it's like the writers are trying to hard.

squidyj

ME2 shat all over most of what I loved about ME1 so even as a reasonably competent TPS with rpg elements, I can't choose it over U2

I think this is too much of an Apples vs Oranges comparison.

Uncharted 2 was an action movie. Mass Effect 2 was a long Star Trek movie.

I like both for completely different reasons.

I really liked both games, but I think Uncharted 2 achieves what it sets out to do much better than ME2 does. Uncharted 2 builds on the strengths of the first game, while ME2 removes some of the good things from ME1 and comes off worse in doing so. Also, narratively, ME2 does very little for the series (other than telling Shepard
that the Illusive Man is evil
) and doesn't actually advance the core story at all over ME1, which is pretty bad writing considering it's meant to be a trilogy with an overarching narrative. I mean, I definitely enjoyed ME2 but I felt like it lost a bit too much depth, exploration and customisation from ME1. It massively improved on the shooting gameplay, but for me the trade-off wasn't worth it.

Seanspeed

Banned

Dude, don't play stupid. You know very well that you're not just curious, you are trying to get something from me where you feel you can argue against because you didn't like what I said. I gave you an explanation and now that 'isn't good enough'. Why the fuck do I have sit here and write out a full explanation as to what I didn't like about the game to satisfy you? Basic and mindless explains it perfectly.

Basic - there's not much to it. You have generic shooting encounters. There's generally very little strategy or anything involved and it often just falls into generic wave-based crap. And on the other hand, you have the 'platforming' and a few basic puzzles. That's all there is to it. The levels aren't design to encourage exploration or anything, there is no sense of progression of the mechanics, its just BASIC.

Mindless - Again, no real strategy necessary for combat, platforming is just 'push in direction you want to go and press button', usually with a very limited, linear path you can climb, and the puzzles are dead easy. Just generally, they didn't design anything properly interesting to do with the mechanics. Interacting with the game became the low point of the experience and for me, the spectacle was not even close enough to make up for that.

Anything else you need explained?

The last time I argued with him he bailed after I asked him to prove that most people on GAF think UC is nothing without the "spectacle".
Twisting what was said around. Why am I not surprised.

My god. This is unreal. I didn't like UC2 like you guys did. I cant believe its bothering you guys that much. lol

spekkeh

Banned
I like being able to role play and make choices in engaging philosophical questions. So erm, why are we comparing these games?

For me, it's Mass Effect 2, no question. IMO, great RPG and one of the best game ever. Uncharted 2, well... It's nice, but i never get into the hype and played it like nice action game with interesting story. ME2 is much more deeper and complex game than U2

My first post here, hello GAF!

I really enjoyed Uncharted 2 but ME2 was more my cup of tea. Prefer the characters, setting and general gameplay. The build up to the Collector assault was so good.

Alo0oy

Banned
Twisting what was said around. Why am I not surprised.

My god. This is unreal. I didn't like UC2 like you guys did. I cant believe its bothering you guys that much. lol

This isn't bothering me at all, you're getting extremely defensive, you can like whatever you like, I was just telling him that when we argued before you made something up & then bailed when I asked you to prove it.

Mass Effect 2 by a country mile for me. Although I enjoyed ME1 Story more I thought ME2 was solid and had some serious atmosphere to it. UC2 whilst I remember enjoying I can't even remember much about it. Whilst ME2 I can remember several areas/moments with fond memories.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Dude, don't play stupid. You know very well that you're not just curious, you are trying to get something from me where you feel you can argue against because you didn't like what I said. I gave you an explanation and now that 'isn't good enough'. Why the fuck do I have sit here and write out a full explanation as to what I didn't like about the game to satisfy you? Basic and mindless explains it perfectly.

Your mind reading game is childish - prototypical victim complex. You would do better saving that trash. No one forces you to respond, you're not compelled to respond. So if you do decide to respond - why attack by mocking avatars, claiming I and others are upset etc? That's baiting for a reaction to an otherwise simple question. This is a discussion forum.

Basic - there's not much to it. You have generic shooting encounters. There's generally very little strategy or anything involved and it often just falls into generic wave-based crap. And on the other hand, you have the 'platforming' and a few basic puzzles. That's all there is to it. The levels aren't design to encourage exploration or anything, there is no sense of progression of the mechanics, its just BASIC.

Mindless - Again, no real strategy necessary for combat, platforming is just 'push in direction you want to go and press button', usually with a very limited, linear path you can climb, and the puzzles are dead easy. Just generally, they didn't design anything properly interesting to do with the mechanics. Interacting with the game became the low point of the experience and for me, the spectacle was not even close enough to make up for that.

Now this is more like it. Regardless of my disagreements with the content. Given your tone, you do not want to drag this out so I'll let you be.

I hate all of them and ended up trying to skip most cutscenes. They're awful and uncharming.
Isn't cutscenes the only good part about the whole series, other than scripted events in the game? Not sure how you were able to play the game without watching the cutscenes.

Seanspeed

Banned
This isn't bothering me at all, you're getting extremely defensive, you can like whatever you like, I was just telling him that when we argued before you made something up & then bailed when I asked you to prove it.
Here you go, since you seemed to have forgotten already:

Lol, UC2 is being compared to Mass Effect not Demon's Souls, regardless of how you think of UC2's gameplay, ME2 would have to be your first game to consider it having better gameplay than UC2.

Hell, even the people that picked ME2 in this thread admitted that UC2 had better gameplay.
So right off the bat, you start off with a laugh. That's your opener. You're laughing at my opinion. Then you insult my opinion by saying that ME2 must have been the first game I ever played. And then you qualify your opinion by an argument of popularity(a spurious one, at that).

So yea, please don't play this, "You're entitled to your opinion" crap after what you said. You were trying to write my opinion off and have a laugh at it quite clearly. Did you really think that went unnoticed? Of course I got defensive after that.

Your mind reading game is childish - prototypical victim complex. You would do better saving that trash. No one forces you to respond, you're not compelled to respond. So if you do decide to do so - why attack by mocking avatars, claiming I and others are upset etc? That's baiting.

Now this is more like it. Regardless of my disagreements with the content. Which given your tone, you do not want to drag out.

cmon dude, get over yourself

You were attacking my opinion of the game. Here you go, since you seemed to have forgotten already:

So right off the bat, you start off with a laugh. That's your opener. You're laughing at my opinion. Then you insult my opinion by saying that ME2 must have been the first game I ever played. And then you qualify your opinion by an argument of popularity(a spurious one, at that).

So yea, please don't play this, "You're entitled to your opinion" crap after what you said. You were trying to write my opinion off and have a laugh at it quite clearly. Did you really think that went unnoticed?
Please ignore him. He couldn't even read my posts correctly in previous pages and called me out for something I never said.

Grady

Easily uncharted 2. For what was suppose to be an rpg, Mass effect 2 game play was terrible. Most over rated series of all time. The 1st one set the pace and had some great exploration ideas, destroyed when ea turned part 2 and 3 into a fps.

Truant

Isn't cutscenes the only good part about the whole series, other than scripted events in the game? Not sure how you were able to play the game without watching the cutscenes.

To me, Uncharted is a series that people show to their non-gaming friends and go "Hey look how legitimate my hobby is! This looks like a movie!". Completely missing the point of what makes games great.

Zero interactivity, zero customization, cookie-cutter characters and villains, boring Indiana Jones theme that has been done ages ago and with infinitely more soul, heart and charm. I guess the cutscenes are impressive on a technical level, I'll give it that.

dejan

- To this day, I haven't played Mass Effect 3, but I love, looove Mass Effect 2 and consider it one of Bioware's best games ever, if not their best. Explain that.

- I am aware of the Uncharted series.

KKRT00

Btw for anyone saying Uncharted 2 ask Yourself a question.

Would like ND/Bioware or any of Your favorite developer to make Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 kind of game?

To me, Uncharted is a series that people show to their non-gaming friends and go "Hey look how legitimate my hobby is! This looks like a movie!". Completely missing the point of what makes games great.

Zero interactivity, zero customization, cookie-cutter characters and villains, boring Indiana Jones theme that has been done ages ago and with infinitely more soul, heart and charm. I guess the cutscenes are impressive on a technical level, I'll give it that.
I think you are being little harsh. It is action/adventure shooter after all. The whole point of that game is to give a great cutscenes with interesting plot. That's all.

nib95

Banned
boring Indiana Jones theme that has been done ages ago and with infinitely more soul, heart and charm.

As an absolutely massive Indiana Jones fan, I'm curious to know, which game(s) did this theme ages ago with more soul, heart and charm?

Game4life

Banned
Easily uncharted 2. For what was suppose to be an rpg, Mass effect 2 game play was terrible. Most over rated series of all time. The 1st one set the pace and had some great exploration ideas, destroyed when ea turned part 2 and 3 into a fps.

ME2 cannot be considered bad. Did you not get the memo?

Ding-Ding

Uncharted 2. It was just an all round better product.

ME2 had too many mis-steps. Main storyline was secondary to the 'friend' character development. Auto aim that couldn't be turned off (uc2 reduced to virtually nothing on higher difficulty) Then we come to the big one, the mineral scanner.

How anyone can call ME2 great with such a crap game mechanical is beyond me.

Top Bottom