• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which MOBAs Are The Most Competitive/Most Complex/Most Easy/Most Fun?

Duplolas

Banned
Remember we are all friends here and despite us having differing opinions, we can all respectfully debate on this subject.

This question isn't specific to one game, however, if you really think one is somehow all of those things, express yourself.

I ask this question because I have put 400 hours into Dota 2, well over that into League of Legends, and just started playing Smite, so I wanted to know what you, the community, thought.

So far, my opinion of MOBAs are:

Most Competitive - League of Legends

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - Smite

Most Fun - League of Legends w/ Smite in a close second.

So let me hear what you think.

Clarifications:

When I ask "Most Competitive" I mean in terms of average gameplay (how you play day-to-day), not at professional level of play (unless you are a professional).

The issue with asking generalized questions, especially about asking about competitive play of one game vs another, is that everyone has their own skill level. Skill level may not even be the correct term to use in this case. When I ask this question, I am trying to get a feel for what level of competitiveness you get from playing with your gaming background.

Examples:

Someone who enjoys playing Smite because its easier to play may get a higher level of competitive play out of it because of the fact that they are playing at their full potential and are fully able to experience what the game has to offer. Whereas if the same player played Dota 2, the game would feel less competitive to them because even though they are playing at their full potential, they are not able to get the full experience of the game because of the complexity of it.

Captain Kurk plays 3D chess with Spock but gets the shit kicked out of him because Spock is OP as fuck. At a competitive level of 3D chess, shit gets way more hype than regular chess, and Spock can competitively play at that level, but for Captain Kurk, playing regular chess against an evenly matched opponent can feel just as competitive and intense as a 3D chess game, just on a smaller scale.

mtodavk

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm

Most Fun - Heroes of the Storm

Nyx

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - -

Most Fun - Awesomenauts

Tenebrous

Most Competitive - Can't really rank this... Most competitive based on what?

Most Complex - Dota/Dota 2.

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm.

Most Fun - All of them. I play Dota 2 instead of LoL, but still try to find some time for Smite & Heroes of the Storm. They're unique experiences and should be treated as such.

Bulzeeb

Most Complex - Dota 2

I am going with this, I also think that Dota 2 has the best art style and I would love a HotS type of mode using Dota's assets

Einbroch

Banned
The most fun MOBA, imo, is Smite. Just a blast. However, I've invested too much time learning League of Legends to switch.

I feel like the first three are pretty much a lock, i.e.:

Most Complex - Dota 2

and the last is entirely subjective because I think it comes down to what your friends play. For me it's League because that's where all my friends play, but I have dabbled in Dota 2 and HotS and they were immense fun with friends too. I just don't have anywhere near as many friends playing those or for long periods.

Rafy

Most Complex - Dota 2

I actually have not had the chance to play Smite just yet, even though I was given an alpha key by a friend a long time ago.

Interfectum

Most Competitive - Dota 2

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Fun Competitively - Dota 2

Most Fun Casually - Heroes of the Storm

Most Complex - Dota 2

Easiest - Don't know

Most Fun - Dota 2

goodjob.gif

Duplolas

Banned
The most fun MOBA, imo, is Smite. Just a blast. However, I've invested too much time learning League of Legends to switch.

Yes. That is exactly how I feel.

Honestly Smite takes a lot of the mechanics from LoL and Dota, slows them down slightly to account for the 3rd person over the shoulder perspective, and also slightly redesigns them to fit the game.

It still needs work though.

I've played: dota, heroes of the storm, league of legends, smite, awesomenauts and a few other lesser known ones

Most Competitive - dota 2

Most Complex - dota 2

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm (it doesn't even have item builds, consumables, last hitting, exp range or anything, let alone denies or stacking, almost all the mechanics have been stripped out)

Most Fun - dota 2

There's a ton that could be improved about dota 2(mainly replacing matchmaking with a server browser and someone has to find a better way to control the camera in mobas some day), but every other moba I try I always think the same thing after a while :
"why am I playing this flawed middling garbage instead of dota"

Smite is one of those games I've always had a niggling interest in but again don't have friends that play it. I'd like to try it at some point if I can get some friends to play it too.

Nzyme32

My answer is Dota2 for all of them, but this comes from simply having a preference for the original Dota.

I still don't know what the hell I am doing for the most part, and haven't given League, Smite, Heart of the Swarm, Awesomnauts etc anywhere near the amount of time required to form a good enough opinion

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm (it doesn't even have item builds, consumables, last hitting, exp range or anything, let alone denies or stacking, almost all the mechanics have been stripped out)

And that's why it's the best one by far.

Syf

Banned
I am going with this, I also think that Dota 2 has the best art style and I would love a HotS type of mode using Dota's assets
Eh idk, after putting quite a bit of time into both I think the character designs in HotS are much better than Dota's (not to mention they're the real characters), and if Sky Temple is any indication the newer, non-alpha maps are going to be nicer too.

Smite is the only one I enjoy at the moment, but that's because I hate point and click realtime action games with indirect control. I'd definitely give most competitive and complex to DOTA 2 though and from the sound of things, Heroes of the Storm is a less complex game than Smite.

Most competitive: League of Legends or Dota 2
Most complex: Dota 2
Most easy: Heroes of the Storm
Most fun: not Heroes of the Storm

Most competitive meaning?

If that's referring to the community of players, I'd say DotA 2 community is much more 'unforgiving' than LoL's based on my experience.

easy

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - Dota 2
(against bots huehue)

Most Fun - Dota 2

i really need to try the other mobas

Hylian7

I have no idea how you guys can call LoL the "most competitive" one when you have to unlock all the heroes, as well as stuff like rune pages/masteries/whatever. Those that were playing and (somehow) have the same skill level as someone who is brand new to the game has a significant advantage.

Dota 2 is easily the most competitive, it's a fair playing field all around. Everyone has the entire hero pool, no out-of-game stats matter in each game. Each game is a clean slate, 100%.

Dota 2 is also the most complex at the same time, for sure. I'm sure many of you agree on this one. Yeah, it's complicated, but worth learning.

I'd have to give easiest to Heroes of the Storm though, as that game has no items, everyone levels up together, objectives of every map are fairly simple. Of course I have other concerns about this game.

And this is speaking from personal bias, but Dota 2 is absolutely the most fun. The hero designs are consistently interesting across the board, and Icefrog is not afraid to take risks with hero designs or mechanics. Probably one of the biggest differences between Dota and other games of the genre is that Dota generally isn't afraid of abilities that have the potential of screwing your teammates over.

An example of this: Faceless Void
dac15_upset.gif

His ultimate ability is called Chronosphere, which is a giant sphere (in a circle on the map) that stops everything from moving within it (except for Void himself). Void moves super fast (think Sanic the Hedgehog) and can go whack whoever he wants, and he has a passive chance to get a bash, under Chronosphere these bashes do double damage.

Generally you wouldn't want to trap your teammates in this, but maybe depending on the situation it could potentially be worth it to trap one or two, maybe to save them, or if there's a good reason to keep them in there with you. For instance, someone like Phoenix, who retreats into a burning sun that takes a few hits to kill, might be worth getting in it with you so the opponents can't hit it and break it.

that's not being competitive, that's just being a piece of shit.

Well, in all the 'sports' I used to practice 'competitive' always referred to 'result oriented' vs 'friendly'. So a game where a mistake is heavily criticized by team mates really is more 'competitive' in my mind... Although I see where you are coming from :D

Duplolas

Banned
Edited OP with "Most Competitive" description for those of you who were asking.

However, on a side note that is highly opinionated, I would like to remind people that just because you consider something the "Most Complex" doesn't also automatically make it "Most Competitive"

Just food for thought.

How is League more competitive than Dota 2? There's more money to be made in Dota 2 (although not as reliably as League)

For regular players, Dota 2 is ultra competitive to the point of almost self parody. Last night my brother had 95% of our kills, the most in the entire game, and the least deaths on our team, but he was blamed for us losing because he picked Techies. Note: This was unranked all pick, one of the least serious game modes in the game short of like, ability draft, which, hilariously, people take ultra seriously too.

BamfMeat

Smite is the only one I enjoy at the moment, but that's because I hate point and click realtime action games with indirect control. I'd definitely give most competitive and complex to DOTA 2 though and from the sound of things, Heroes of the Storm is a less complex game than Smite.

This is me. I have no interest in the top down games (despite putting in probably $100 or so into HoTS.) But Smite "gets me". I'm an old-time MMO player so it feels like I'm playing an MMO. Love it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ha, nah. Isn't there still the issue of too many tournies and some weird ticket/cosmetic issue? Just casually follow the scene.
I think Dota 2 and CS:GO both have a huge saturation problem.

The one good thing about Riot controlling their scene entirely is that you don't have seven hundred tournaments a year with prize pools in the low five digits that no one gives a shit about.

for me League is pretty easily the most competitive of the games when you look at the competitive scene and from a ladder perspective.

From a ladder perspective League has moved past the ambiguous ELO system of just showing you a number by dividing the ladder into proper divisions and tiers with promotions and relegations. At the top end you've got the highly competitive Challenger tier which rotates players every 24 hours if they're not at that level ensuring you have to be a consistent performer to stay there.

Then you've got the competitive scene where again it has moved past the circuit system to a really well set up league system in every region, with an amateur (Challenger) scene behind it and players being paid salaries to play competitively.

I'm sure Dota 2 will get close in a few years, but for now from a competitive standpoint at all levels there's no comparison.

Einbroch

Banned
League has the "league" system, which does make it very competitive. Dota has ranked, but you're not really aiming for anything but a number. You get rewards in League (although they're just shitty skins and a dumb border), but a lot of people take that stuff super serious.

If we're talking purely from a gameplay perspective, yeah, Dota is way more competitive as literally everyone is on the same level in terms of what is available to them.

It just depends how you view competition.

K.Sabot

Competitive - Dota 2 MMR is love, MMR is life.
Complex - Dota 2
Easy - Heroes of the Storm
Fun - Dota 2 / Smite tie for me. Both games make you feel powerful and volatile at the same time unlike most LoL clones and LoL itself.

I have no idea how you guys can call LoL the "most competitive" one when you have to unlock all the heroes, as well as stuff like rune pages/masteries/whatever. Those that were playing and (somehow) have the same skill level as someone who is brand new to the game has a significant advantage.

Dota 2 is easily the most competitive, it's a fair playing field all around. Everyone has the entire hero pool, no out-of-game stats matter in each game. Each game is a clean slate, 100%.

Yeah, the mastery and rune crap in League is so dumb.

Duplolas

Banned
The reason why I consider LoL more competitive is because of the feel of it.

The flow of the game makes fights more intense, more fulfilling/devastating than Dota 2 (again IMO).

Yes Dota 2's system is way more complex in major parts of the gameplay, such as farming, but the feel of it is just off to me.

And that's why it's the best one by far.

How does stripping out 90 percent of the learning curve and variety make something better.
Fighting over stacks (or the decision to leave your carry alone in lane to go stack/get a rune) ,runes, denying farm to slow down item progression vs harrassing hero for kills/slowing exp vs focussing on your own farm, controlling lane equilibrium etc etc add nearly infinite variety and strategic depth to the game.

They create situations for the player to read and react to. They also give you a reason to venture out and scout the map beyond trying to gank an enemy.

When you strip out everything that makes a moba unique you're just left with a team vs team combat game with poor combat mechanics , like why would you ever want to play right click+wow style abilities in a multiplayer game over mp games with far superior gameplay and controls like team fortress or cs or a sports game

That's imo the big flaw of games like heroes of the storm, moba combat mechanics are nowhere near good enough to prop up a game, you need everything else around them to make it worth playing. Without them it just becomes a really shitty arcade game.

Quake would not be a better game with strafejumping , pick ups (zone control) and projectile weapons stripped out of it. It would be easier, it would also be a lot less interesting and fun.

danmaku

Edited OP with "Most Competitive" description for those of you who were asking.

You description is not very clear... "competitive" makes me think of how much the mechanics are suitable for competitive play. What do you mean by "average gameplay"?

Also, this thread won't end well.

Duplolas

Banned
You description is not very clear... "competitive" makes me think of how much the mechanics are suitable for competitive play. What do you mean by "average gameplay"?

Also, this thread won't end well.

Edited the OP again to be more descriptive.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get too out of hand :/

How does stripping out 90 percent of the learning curve and variety make something better.
Fighting over stacks (or the decision to leave your carry alone in lane to go stack/get a rune) ,runes, denying farm to slow down item progression vs harrassing hero for kills/slowing exp vs focussing on your own farm, controlling lane equilibrium etc etc add nearly infinite variety and strategic depth to the game.

They create situations for the player to read and react to.

When you strip out everything that makes a moba unique you're just left with a team vs team combat game with poor combat mechanics , like why would you ever want to play right click+wow style abilities in a multiplayer game over mp games with far superior gameplay and controls like team fortress or cs or a sports game

Quake would not be a better game with strafejumping and projectile weapons stripped out of it. It would be easier, it would also be a lot less interesting and fun.

Sometimes simple is good. You don't need to have overtly hard 'learning curve' or items or orb walking in order to make a good or a fun game. And the way Heroes of the Storm is set up, situations arise from objectives and controlling points in a map whether it's camps or a point.

You bring up specifically denying, so you're probably talking about DotA. Well, most popular MOBAs out there got rid of denying no? League, arguably the most popular one did away with it, Smite doesn't have it, Heroes doesn't have it. But in all these games experience is still important, in Heroes they streamlined it so everyone levels up equally. I guess a goal of the game is also to make matches faster. It's not farfetched for League or DotA games to last upward of an hour, to only end in defeat sometimes. And nobody likes to spen an hour in a game with 4 other randoms only to lose.

You bring up Quake, but the type of shooter that reigns today is either Halo, CoD, Battlefield, all which are arguably simpler than Quake. Simple isn't bad.

rac

Banned
A game where you have to unlock all the heroes is more competitive than one that gives you them all for free. Yeah ok.
And nobody likes to spen an hour in a game with 4 other randoms only to lose.

Lots of people can find the enjoyment in losing, I don't want the game to end the same way each time.

Top Bottom