• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which MOBAs Are The Most Competitive/Most Complex/Most Easy/Most Fun?

LoL is the top dog and probably my favorite. I play a fair bit of league and even watch LCS from time to time but I wouldn't list it as one of my favorite games.

I'm a pretty competitive gamer but everything I hear about Dota2 is so off putting. Smite was a good time tough. I dig the third person.

Also I really want to try out Heroes of the Storm. I'm a sucker for Blizzard.

LoL is the top dog and probably my favorite. I play a fair bit of league and even watch LCS from time to time but I wouldn't list it as one of my favorite games.

I'm a pretty competitive gamer but everything I hear about Dota2 is so off putting. Smite was a good time tough. I dig the third person.

Also I really want to try out Heroes of the Storm. I'm a sucker for Blizzard.
i know it probably comes off as flamey but what would that be im genuinely curious

It hasn't been mentioned...

Happy Wars

I spent way too much time playing Happy Wars, and I'd say it's competitive, fun, and fairly easy (although mastering the skills and perfecting your load-outs takes time). I don't PC game, so it may be the only MOBA I've ever played. Many complain it's P2W, but it's really not. Many players reset their accounts when there was a glitch to do so and starting over at level 1 didn't make it any more fair for our opponents. Team work trumps all in Happy Wars, although lag certainly made the playing field less even at times. Highly recommended.

I have played only Dota 2 and LoL, almost 2000 hours in the first one and around 400 hours in the second.

Most competitive: Dota 2/LoL both games are packed with tryhards.

Most complex: Dota 2.

Most easy: LoL is way easier that Dota 2.

Most fun: depends on what I am looking for. When I feel super competitive I go to play Dota 2 since I like a lot its complexity, but when I want to relax and goof around I go to LoL, spamming hooks with Blitzcrank is less stressing that doing it with Pudge, or putting mushrooms all around the map is simpler with Teemo in comparison to Techies's mines.

manfestival

Most Competitive - LoL

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm(heroes charge lol jk)

Most Fun - Warships(so gooooooood)/LoL.... I can't decide. Warships and LoL are easily the most fun I have ever had playing a moba. LoL mainly because of dominion but the main game is generally more fun to me anyways compared to dota 2.

Disclaimer: I only play dota 2 currently and have only played dota 2 pretty much since TI3 and playing some games here and there but not getting addicted to them like I am with dota 2

i know it probably comes off as flamey but what would that be im genuinely curious

Nah man, it's cool.

I just hear things about the community, some of the stuff Valve has done recently, the things like denying, which doesn't seem fun to me. I also don't have enough fun playing League to really invest in learning a different MOBA. I'm content playing League with my friends and if they didn't play, I wouldn't bother.

Basically I don't care for the genre that much and Dota2 sounds like too much where League is just right for what I want out of the genre.

Not sure how adding complexity makes something more competitive. Lots of real sports have very simple rules, yet they're all very competitive. Shoot ball through hoop. Kick ball to net. Run fast. Punch other guy.

Adding 7 extra pieces to chess won't make it more competitive. You can have the most complicated game in the world, but if no one plays it, there's no competition to speak of.

Do you really think that basketball, soccer, track and field, and boxing are not complex? Basketball and Soccer do have complex rule sets. Something like Offsides in Soccer is pretty nuanced. Beyond the rules, all of them are incredibly complex in the actual mechanics of play. The way you actually go about "running fast" is pretty damn involved.

Adding 7 extra pieces to chess wouldn't make it more competitive, but neither would taking 7 pieces away. Chess is already an incredibly complex game.

Sometimes simple is good. You don't need to have overtly hard 'learning curve' or items or orb walking in order to make a good or a fun game. And the way Heroes of the Storm is set up, situations arise from objectives and controlling points in a map whether it's camps or a point.

You bring up specifically denying, so you're probably talking about DotA. Well, most popular MOBAs out there got rid of denying no? League, arguably the most popular one did away with it, Smite doesn't have it, Heroes doesn't have it. But in all these games experience is still important, in Heroes they streamlined it so everyone levels up equally. I guess a goal of the game is also to make matches faster. It's not farfetched for League or DotA games to last upward of an hour, to only end in defeat sometimes. And nobody likes to spen an hour in a game with 4 other randoms only to lose.

You bring up Quake, but the type of shooter that reigns today is either Halo, CoD, Battlefield, all which are arguably simpler than Quake. Simple isn't bad.

I get why some people don't dig that, but some of my favorite games (both in video games and in sport, both as a spectator and a participant) have been long losses.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand this competitive metric at all.

Complex - Dota 2
Fun - Dota 2
Easy - HOTS

rexor0717

As brought up earlier in the thread, I'd say DOTA2 is the most competitive because it is a totally even playing field each match. No matter how much you play, you won't have anything a player playing his first game won't have. So I'd have to say,

Most Competitive: Dota 2
Most Complex: Dota 2
Easiest: Heroes of the Storm
Most Fun: Dota 2.

Dota 2 is totally fine with letting you fuck yourself over, so when you make all the right plays, its not because the game was holding your hand. I've recently been practicing playing Naga Siren and her ability to completely control the game with a radiance gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I only play HoTS casually, but I don't believe there will ever be a character that will allow you to control the flow of the game in the way a Dota character can. I've never played LoL but I'm sure its right up there in terms of competitiveness, but I feel like having to unlock heroes sets it down a few notches.

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that Quake 3 is more simple than CoD. Just the movement system in Quake has enough depth to be a game on its own.
I know right, quake 3 movement mechanics alone are more complex than the entirity of any cod game. + rocket jumping and plasma running adding a ton of depth to how you could traverse maps. The learning curve to master the movement system in quake is almost endless.
The gunplay is also much more varied than the hitscan ADS crap in cod.

You have clearly never played Counter-Strike.

I played cs from 2000 till 2005 almost daily, and on and off since then ^^
I've put thousands of hours into cs 1.1-1.6 (my favorite patch is still 1.5)

You must have had the pub-tard experience with it then, as clan servers and private servers (where every sane person played) were amazing.

Captain Kurk plays 3D chess with Spock but gets the shit kicked out of him because Spock is OP as fuck. At a competitive level of 3D chess, shit gets way more hype than regular chess, and Spock can competitively play at that level, but for Captain Kurk, playing regular chess against an evenly matched opponent can feel just as competitive and intense as a 3D chess game, just on a smaller scale.

I don't know jack about MOBAs, but I need to pull you on this, my man.
It's Captain KIRK and he used to always beat Spock at 3D chess, because of his irrational insights. Kind of like how grandmasters can still beat computers. Cheesed Spock right off, that did.

I'm actually going to elaborate a bit on each of my answers.
Keep in mind this entirely reflects MY OPINION
which should be considered as fact and is objectively better than yours.

Most competitive: DOTA 2
Obviously the big competitor to this category is league (I do play league BTW, although not as much as DOTA), so I will make a few comparisons between the two to bring my points across.

First of all, as far as even grounds for all involved. I cannot for the life of me consider a game in which you need to grind/pay for content to be competitive. It's as if you had to buy the knights in chess, otherwise had a blank space, or pawns. It makes no sense. Second, I hate the concept of runes/masteries, not only because, again you need to grind them, but also because they are HIDDEN from your opponents. They have no way to know what to expect. The first thing you do when you get in your lane is to look at what you're up against. Except here you don't get the full picture. The only way I could consider League to be as competitive as DOTA, would be if they made every hero free, all runes/masteries free from level 1, and unlocked all summoner spells as well. NOW you have a competitive game.

My second point is this: Variety. I watch league tournaments every once in a while, as I do for DOTA. But what struck me was the conversations the casters had during the drafts. Often in a league game, they would discuss what champion team X's AD Carry would draft, it could be hero A, B, or C, because he's good with all three, and he hasn't been picked or banned. While in DOTA, you often don't even know who's going to play which hero until the very end of the draft, because the heroes can play such a varied array of roles. In that Naga Siren a carry or a support? Is Windranger
runner
going to be played mid or offlane? Is their tidehunter a core or a support? The casters can debate on such specifics for the whole lenght of the draft.

Third and last point, strategy. In league, you get three bans per team, and then five picks. In DOTA they tweaked things up a bit. Each team gets two bans, and then pick two heroes. Then they look at eachother's lineup, and try to guess what they are going for. At this point they get two more bans, which are very important, because they will try to sabotage whatever their opponent is trying to do. They make two more picks, for a total of four, and then comes the last ban and pick. A good ban at this point can basically break the knees of the opposing team, because this is the last piece of the puzzle for both teams, it needs to complete the lineup they made, in synergy, in laning, and in roles. This adds a whole level of strategy depth that simply isn't there in league.

Most complex: DOTA 2
I don't think anyone can argue with this one, I don't see the point of elaborating.

Most simple: Heroes of the Storm
I for one do not consider this as a good thing. They removed all the decision making out of the game. Let me explain. When you build a team in any MOBA but this one, you communicate (hopefully) with your teammates to make a balanced team. HotS just matches you with random people and tries to make randomly a half-balanced team. Once in the game, you have no items to chose from, no way to adapt your build, you also have no decision to make as far as objectives go. In any other moba, you could win a fight, and then decide wether now is a good time to take a tower or roshan/baron, but in this, a big ping shows up on the map telling you OBJECTIVES BE HERE NOW, and everyone needs to rush for it right away. Again, no decision to make. This kinda killed the game for me. Still fun for killing time with friends, but gets old and repetitive very quickly due to the immense lack of depth compared to its competitors.

Most fun: DOTA 2
This is the category people can argue about the most, and this is entirely personnal. But I enjoy playing complex games. I enjoy DOTA's ridiculous complexity and endless mechanics and subtleties and hidden stuff you have no idea about.

Nokterian

Most Competitive - Dota 2

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm

Most Fun - Dota 2

I am going with this list. Dota 2 is just so striking in visual and audio i love it just hearing that last hit sound when you kill a creep is a small victory it self. But i also had fun for example with Smite because it's third person view and doing it a bit different then other moba's. Also heroes of the storm is yet again different it really is a blizzard game just pure easy and fun.

Rezae

I'm torn pretty evenly on the MOBA scene.

I like the design decisions behind DOTA2, and all of the customization, outfits, drops, etc. I like the character cast and variety the most too. It just seems so complicated though and I hate all of the hotkey actions (relative to other MOBAs). I don't have a ton of time to game these days and it seems like too much.

LoL I've played the most, am ok, and enjoy it's more simplified approach, but hate how so much is locked behind a paywall, especially characters.

I just started HotS last week, and am having a ton of fun with it, but I question how much depth it really has and if I'd eventually get bored with it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Most Competitive - League of Legends

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Fun - Heroes of the Storm

Yep, in a nutshell this is how I feel too. HotS is my favorite by a wide margin, and the only one I'll be playing from now on. I've uninstalled both Dota and LoL.

I've played: dota, heroes of the storm, league of legends, smite, awesomenauts and a few other lesser known ones

Most Competitive - dota 2

Most Complex - dota 2

Most Easy - Heroes of the Storm (it doesn't even have item builds, consumables, last hitting, exp range or anything, let alone denies or stacking, almost all the mechanics have been stripped out)

Most Fun - dota 2

There's a ton that could be improved about dota 2(mainly replacing matchmaking with a server browser and someone has to find a better way to control the camera in mobas some day), but every other moba I try I always think the same thing after a while :
"why am I playing this flawed middling garbage instead of dota"

Are you one of those people that can't understand that not everyone thinks "more complex" is synonymous with "better/most fun"?

njean777

As brought up earlier in the thread, I'd say DOTA2 is the most competitive because it is a totally even playing field each match. No matter how much you play, you won't have anything a player playing his first game won't have. So I'd have to say,

Most Competitive: Dota 2
Most Complex: Dota 2
Easiest: Heroes of the Storm
Most Fun: Dota 2.

Dota 2 is totally fine with letting you fuck yourself over, so when you make all the right plays, its not because the game was holding your hand. I've recently been practicing playing Naga Siren and her ability to completely control the game with a radiance gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I only play HoTS casually, but I don't believe there will ever be a character that will allow you to control the flow of the game in the way a Dota character can. I've never played LoL but I'm sure its right up there in terms of competitiveness, but I feel like having to unlock heroes sets it down a few notches.

You can do the same in league with certain characters. Vayne, talon, Diana, vi, nassus, etc. it's not specific to Dota.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll add this, I guess. I find DOTA2 more fun than HOTS, but I'd rather spend my wind down time playing HOTS than DOTA2. DOTA2's "fun" comes at the cost of stress, whereas HOTS' "fun" is of a more relaxing nature.

Interfectum

I'll add this, I guess. I find DOTA2 more fun than HOTS, but I'd rather spend my wind down time playing HOTS than DOTA2. DOTA2's "fun" comes at the cost of stress, whereas HOTS' "fun" is of a more relaxing nature.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Dota 2 gets so competitive it stresses me out at the end of the night. HotS I can just roll my face on the keyboard for a couple games, win some gold, get some neat kills and go to bed.

Ferrio

Banned

That's where I'm at right now. Just queueing up, playing against some bots, no frustration, no worries. Yes the gameplay is shallow IMO compared to the other two competitors, but I've done my hardcore time from DOTA1 and LoL... I'm exhausted and I don't think I can take it anymore.

I mean look at SneakyStephan. Those are the sorts of people that play Dota2. People that can't understand that not everyone needs to play the most complex version of something to have fun. That sometimes a different/simpler version of a game (like Smite or LoL) can be more fun to people, and that those people aren't neanderthals/sheep/stupid for liking their game to be slightly less complex and more immediately accessible.

So in your opinion removing last hitting and jungle creeps also increases the competitive nature of the game? Why not remove creeps altogether since all it does is get in the way of attacking each other?

No, I mean there are no competitive sports where hitting your own teammates is a thing. What running back kicks his lineman as he's running through the hole? What basketball player punches his teammate in the face then drives to the net? What hockey player trips hi.... You get the point.

It's part of Dota, which I can respect that it's part of the game. Closest thing in competitive sport is hockey and fighting where fighting is part of the game, but doesn't make the sport more competitive. It's just a thing that happens that people like. So fighting in hockey will someday go away (and I freakin' love fighting) but denying will never be taken out of Dota because it's balanced for denying.

Guinsoo thought it was part of Dota, but he created a new game where that wasn't part of it. And it's part of what made LoL eventually the more competitive game (not the only thing obviously, but I think a good part of it).

Ferrio

Banned
No MOBA I've played has lived up to the exquisite promise of the Battleships mod for Warcraft III.

Really wish someone would recreate a platform to allow that type of modding again. I thought DOTA2 was suppose to do this.... but I'm still waiting.

I'd love to play some GEM TD.

Yes it was.
I don't get why people keep saying that denying was something that came with the WC3 engine and couldn't be "turned off".

Sorry, I should rephrase. He couldn't take it out because of the audience of the game. The people who play Dota like denying as a mechanic so he could not take it out. So when he made his own game, he took it out.

I started with Tides of Blood, AOS, Footmen Frenzy and Dota. So for me, Dota is the most easisest one where I have the most fun with while others are complex for me, because they play differently.

No-one plays Heroes of Newerth anymore?
no
I mean look at SneakyStephan. Those are the sorts of people that play Dota2. People that can't understand that not everyone needs to play the most complex version of something to have fun. That sometimes a different/simpler version of a game (like Smite or LoL) can be more fun to people, and that those people aren't neanderthals/sheep/stupid for liking their game to be slightly less complex and more immediately accessible.

god i hate all dota players theyre all jerks

Fjordson

Most Competitive - Dota 2

Most Complex - Dota 2

Most Fun - League of Legends

Don't kill me GAF =[ I've tried to get into Dota 2 but I just ended up going back to LoL.

I should probably try again, part of the appeal with LoL is simply my familiarity with the game and my laziness in learning something new. I bet if I gave Dota more effort I'd dig it.

edit: also on Heroes of the Storm, I've had a lot of fun in my limited time playing it. I can see how it's simpler than LoL or Dota, but it's neat (and I'm a sucker for anything Blizzard to be honest).

Kenaras

I play both Dota 2 and HotS, and both are enjoyable in their own ways. However, people who say Dota 2 is the "most fun" are clearly using entirely different metrics.

I don't think it's controversial to say Dota 2 is a far more stressful game than HotS. For me, "fun" games are ones that decrease my stress level, not ones that increase it. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the competitive aspect of a game like Dota 2, but after a few hours of Dota 2, I'll often play a game or two of HotS to unwind.

god i hate all dota players theyre all jerks

I wouldn't go that far, and you probably know I didn't mean it like that. But the game certainly attracts those sorts of people to it, and being a multiplayer game the community is extremely important.

Maybe Smite is just as bad, but I find the atmosphere in Dota2 just kind of not so great a lot of the time. Because of people like SneakyStephan.

rexor0717

I play both Dota 2 and HotS, and both are enjoyable in their own ways. However, people who say Dota 2 is the "most fun" are clearly using entirely different metrics.

It don't think it's controversial to say Dota 2 is a far more stressful game than HotS. For me, "fun" games are ones that decrease my stress level, not ones that increase it. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the competitive aspect of a game like Dota 2, but after a few hours of Dota 2, I'll often play a game or two of HotS to unwind.

For me the ups and downs of HotS are more shallow than the ups and downs of DOTA. Like I've never really been all that hyped up at a HoTS win, but at the same time a loss doesn't really bother me all that much. Dota wins are the best, but the losses are just as impactful.

Top Bottom