• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

LegatoB

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";153767450]I wanna get a Hitbox, but I'm still waiting on a good solution for PS4-compatibility. :-([/QUOTE]
There is one! It's called "Padhack a Fighting Commander 4."

...Yeah, thanks for being a bunch of jerks, Sony.

Skilletor

I'd probably be in for a VLX.. but that price point D: with regular sticks being $200-ish I'd imagine it being.. $350-400? We'll see.

OG VLX was only 300 when it originally came out. I'd guess 350-400 would be right. Hopefully at that price it'd be like the diamond with the metal panels.

I wasn't looking to get a new stick until I realized the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai is releasing next week. Hoping to preorder one from Amazon this evening since they seem to go OOS quickly. Are there any impressions for it around? Haven't used a Hori stick in years and I'm coming from a Mad Catz TE1 stick.

I wasn't looking to get a new stick until I realized the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai is releasing next week. Hoping to preorder one from Amazon this evening since they seem to go OOS quickly. Are there any impressions for it around? Haven't used a Hori stick in years and I'm coming from a Mad Catz TE1 stick.

I have the HRAP4, and while it's a good stick, it's really, REALLY light. It keeps moving around, even on a table. Probably going to add weight to it. Other than that, I love the thing. I don't have an issue with the wire compartment like some others do.

Can't comment on the Kai, obviously, but hopefully the new one fixes the issues.

braves01

Banned
BTW. I hope you guys have money saved up for this week.

I know I do. (not talking about MCZ products).

Fuck...I have no money saved up. Hopefully whatever it is stays in stock over the next year. FEs for PS3/360 haven't been that difficult to come by ever, at least afaik.

vg260

Nice, thanks for the heads up. I imported one last year, but I'm one of those wierdos who likes to have the NA packaging too.

How is it?

Also what is the deal with having the share button on these third party controllers and no touchpad click (i.e. PS4's Select)? I probably sound like a broken record, but I hate buying peripherals with missing features. Is it mandated that there must be a share button and no touchpad button equivalent without the touchpad?or just overlooked or deemed not worth implementing by third parties?

How is it?
AFAIK It's practically identical to the Fighting Commander 3 Pro. I'm not much of a pad player for FGs, but it gets the thumbs up from me for playing 2D games.

I've always wondered, how exactly are you supposed to hold a controller like that? Are you still meant to use your thumbs for the buttons, or is there a particular way of holding it where you'd comfortably be able to use your fingers?

You're supposed the press it aginst your lap and use your individual fingers on the buttons. They made the D-Pad orientation is adjustable so you can get your desired button arc.

How is it?
Excellent. If you don't need an analog stick, it's arguably the best controller around. People who think the Saturn pad was the best thing ever should give it a spin.

Also what is the deal with having the share button on these third party controllers and no touchpad click (i.e. PS4's Select)? I probably sound like a broken record, but I hate buying peripherals with missing features. Is it mandated that there must be a share button and no touchpad button equivalent without the touchpad?or just overlooked or deemed not worth implementing by third parties?
"I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob."

I honestly can't think of a scenario where I've actually needed the touchpad. Game developers seem to have decided that the touchpad sucks (which I agree with on the DS4 implementation) and code things accordingly.

In PS3 mode the share button is Select.

I've always wondered, how exactly are you supposed to hold a controller like that? Are you still meant to use your thumbs for the buttons, or is there a particular way of holding it where you'd comfortably be able to use your fingers?
Just like any other gamepad ever? The right handle is smaller to, supposedly, allow for easier reach across all the face buttons.

You're supposed the press it aginst your lap and use your individual fingers on the buttons. They made the D-Pad orientation is adjustable so you can get your desired button arc.
First time I've ever heard of this...

"I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob."

I honestly can't think of a scenario where I've actually needed the touchpad. Game developers seem to have decided that the touchpad sucks (which I agree with on the DS4 implementation) and code things accordingly.

In PS3 mode the share button is Select.

The issue is that the touchpad is also a button (think Apple trackpad). We're missing that physical button. Not that it's REQUIRED, but it would be nice.

vg260

Yeah, it's not the touchpad itself, but that the touchpad button click replaced the PS3 select button functionality, so it's like the PS3 controller without select. It's handy in training mode in some PS4 fighters and possibly some arcade-type games that would work well with a pad. I just don't want to see fighting game developers not allow it to have any purpose as it could be used for a lot of training mode shortcuts.

growing up, that's how me and my cousins used to play mvc2 on the DC. it was a pain trying to get assist 2 out since the trigger was out of the way.

ended up having to wrap my shirt over my thumb to avoid getting blisters.

growing up, that's how me and my cousins used to play mvc2 on the DC. it was a pain trying to get assist 2 out since the trigger was out of the way.

ended up having to wrap my shirt over my thumb to avoid getting blisters.

I never played MvC2, but my friend showed me how he used to play. They would put the controllers on the floor, use the left thumb and index to use the analog as a pseudo joystick. Would use the right index/middle/thumb for the 4 face buttons. Use the ring fingers from both hands to use the trigger buttons as assist buttons.

I just laughed at him 'cause it was so ridiculous. At the same time, it was freaking genius.

Qwyjibo

I'm a fairly casual player here but one who always likes to use a stick for fighting games. I currently use a Qanba Q4 for PS3/PC and previously had experience with the first run of Madcatz SF4 TE sticks.

I'm considering ordering the upcoming HORI Kai stick for PS4 but have never used a HORI stick and am reading (from forums and youtube videos) less than flattering things about the Kuro buttons they use. Now most of these opinions seem to be from more of the hardcore FG/modding community. I just want to have something that will be compatible with PS4 and PC (and PS3 is a nice bonus). I'm in Canada so any PS4 stick I order now comes with heavy shipping and duty fees.

Any opinions on how a more casual player would generally react to the difference between Sanwa and Kuro buttons? I'd like to think (hope) someone like me would hardly notice the difference.

Skilletor

I'm a fairly casual player here but one who always likes to use a stick for fighting games. I currently use a Qanba Q4 for PS3/PC and previously had experience with the first run of Madcatz SF4 TE sticks.

I'm considering ordering the upcoming HORI Kai stick for PS4 but have never used a HORI stick and am reading (from forums and youtube videos) less than flattering things about the Kuro buttons they use. Now most of these opinions seem to be from more of the hardcore FG/modding community. I just want to have something that will be compatible with PS4 and PC (and PS3 is a nice bonus). I'm in Canada so any PS4 stick I order now comes with heavy shipping and duty fees.

Any opinions on how a more casual player would generally react to the difference between Sanwa and Kuro buttons? I'd like to think (hope) someone like me would hardly notice the difference.

I'd guess a casual player wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Edzi

I'd guess a casual player wouldn't notice much of a difference.

From what I've read, the opinions on the Kuro buttons seem more mixed than they do overwhelmingly negative. I was under the impression that a pretty good chunk of people consider them to be very good quality buttons, comparable to sanwa and seimitsu. Am I wrong?

Skilletor

From what I've read, the opinions on the Kuro buttons seem more mixed than they do overwhelmingly negative. I was under the impression that a pretty good chunk of people consider them to be very good quality buttons, comparable to sanwa and seimitsu. Am I wrong?

They're definitely mixed reviews. I've posted my impressions in this thread. Mine squeak and stick. I played on them a lot, tried to break them in. I have two sets from two fightingedges. There's various youtube videos showing they squeak.

If you get a set without this problem, as many others have, your opinion might be different.

I won't bother with kuros with Horis anymore. They're getting swapped out immediately.

Maybe they've gotten better since I bought my sticks, but I know the ones I got suck.

BOTEC

They're definitely mixed reviews. I've posted my impressions in this thread. Mine squeak and stick. I played on them a lot, tried to break them in. I have two sets from two fightingedges. There's various youtube videos showing they squeak.

If you get a set without this problem, as many others have, your opinion might be different.

I won't bother with kuros with Horis anymore. They're getting swapped out immediately.

Maybe they've gotten better since I bought my sticks, but I know the ones I got suck.

I'm beginning to see why you don't like them. My Xbone V-Hayabusa is super slick and everything feels great. The PS3/4 V-Hayabusa was all types of jank when I tested it. The stick was registering incorrect inputs,and the buttons squeaked and felt awkward when pressed. I guess your millage may vary with these parts.

Qwyjibo

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I might wait on some PS4 Kai reviews after its NA release and hopefully they become available on Amazon.ca at some point in the next few months.

mdsfx

Just a basic mod here. Silent JLF, button silencers all around, a few button color changes, and 2 hole plugs.

Edit: anyone need a like new JLF? Comes with black ball top, shaft cover, dust covers, and harness.

eduGIza.jpg

BOTEC

Just a basic mod here. Silent JLF, button silencers all around, a few button color changes, and 2 hole plugs.

Edit: anyone need a like new JLF? Comes with black ball top, shaft cover, dust covers, and harness.

http://i.imgur.com/eduGIza.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Looks nice. I have a silly question. Look at it from the front straight on, is the B button oriented the same as the others? On mine it's a little skewed, and I know it's mounted flush with the metal panel. It's as if the metal is a little warped. I've had my stick for years but only noticed it a month ago. I'm not sure if it was always like that or if it just happened.

mdsfx

Looks nice. I have a silly question. Look at it from the front straight on, is the B button oriented the same as the others? On mine it's a little skewed, and I know it's mounted flush with the metal panel. It's as if the metal is a little warped. I've had my stick for years but only noticed it a month ago. I'm not sure if it was always like that or if it just happened.
Are you saying the button itself is on a slight angle as if the metal underneath were bent? Mine seems flat from what I'm seeing.

BOTEC

Are you saying the button itself is on a slight angle as if the metal underneath were bent? Mine seems flat from what I'm seeing.

Right, that's what it looks like to me. I was wondering if that was something common on those RAP's or if I'm just a special case.

Skilletor

Nobody has an answer for me on this? I'm hoping there's a non-modding solution out there, but I can't seem to find it.

The closest thing to a plug and play solution would be something like a titan/cronusmax, but that requires a DS4 and going through your pc. There's no simple solution. :(

Edit: Going to get rid of a TE2 to help pay for this, and I have a custom PS4 stick to sell as well.

Top Bottom