• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

cross post from GGXrd thread...I made a monster
Qc8jybN.jpg

Im really bad at this shit, so this took me forever. Relieving feeling when I had it all working.

Of course, I still have another one I want to do, but I need a break

Just preordered two Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai Arcade Sticks. My effort to get good at Ultra Street Fighter IV is coming soon. I put up my RAPV4 up on eBay that I never even used once.

Could use some reasuring on that extra "Kai Spacing" being better... And I'm going to really miss the red graphics. Subjectively at first blush my hands do feel a bit tight on the RAPV4. But I wanted 2 matching sticks and that new Hori dual Playstation system design with the touchpad. So it's the Kai or pay a lot extra importing the RAPV5.

deadlast

Just preordered two Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai Arcade Sticks. My effort to get good at Ultra Street Fighter IV is coming soon. I put up my RAPV4 up on eBay that I never even used once.

Could use some reasuring on that extra "Kai Spacing" being better... And I'm going to really miss the red graphics. Subjectively at first blush my hands do feel a bit tight on the RAPV4. But I wanted 2 matching sticks and that new Hori dual Playstation system design with the touchpad. So it's the Kai or pay a lot extra importing the RAPV5.

I'm getting ready to do the same. I really want to have an arcade type setup.

vg260

Really hope the Kai release date holds without supply issues and we get these next week. Seems like a lot of people are picking these up. I love the asthetics of this one, so I hope it's not limited and phased out anytime soon in favor of the red V, as I may want to pick up another down the line.

deadlast

Really hope the Kai release date holds without supply issues and we get these next week. Seems like a lot of people are picking these up. I love the asthetics of this one, so I hope it's not limited and phased out anytime soon in favor of the red V, as I may want to pick up another down the line.

I wish I could pick the accent colors. I would like to have a red one and a blue one. So it will be like player 1 or player 2.

vg260

I wish I could pick the accent colors. I would like to have a red one and a blue one. So it will be like player 1 or player 2.

Yeah, I'm gonna get a second. I have two sets of Sanwa buttons ready to put in. All black and the grey Hai from an old PS3 TE. So I'm kinda doing the same, while keeping the main color scheme.

I've seen this stick owned by several different enthusiasts. I think even Hideki Kamiya has one.

Is there any reason in particular why it's so heavily coveted?

It's more or less a full-size Sega Astro City arcade panel, with lower grade buttons.

If you're savvy enough to replace the buttons, you've got arcade controls at home.

I do not have much to contribute to this thread but I wanted to express how much I loved following this community here for several years, and I always enjoy looking at the custom sticks people have made over the years and hope to make one in the future.

Last December I finally got to buy a Madcatz TE stick (the Guilty Gear Xrd) while visiting the US, and it is crazy what a night and day difference it is between those and the standard Hori sticks. It is nice that they are also a lot easier to modify than other sticks on the market.

Mercutio

I've seen this stick owned by several different enthusiasts. I think even Hideki Kamiya has one.

Is there any reason in particular why it's so heavily coveted?

Two big reasons.

1. Functionality: you can use any actual arcade plate that fits an Astro / Blast City plate in it with no real modification apart from connecting things internally. It's pretty tough to fit one of those plates into anything else. I also like printing out move-sets and putting them in the window. Any normal arcade moveset fits.

2. Authenticity: My stick is, parts-wise, exactly what you'd find in a Japanese arcade. It's the closest you can get to running an Astro cabinet with all of your game consoles without actually doing so. I don't know if Kamiya has one or not; his red-painted detached stick seems to have a coin-slot. It might be a sawed off chunk of a real cab. That's the only way you could be "more" authentic, I think; I tried it though and there wasn't a good way to contain parts and also cap the back. The HSS-0130 shell is the best self-contained option.

deadlast

Yeah, I'm gonna get a second. I have two sets of Sanwa buttons ready to put in. All black and the grey Hai from an old PS3 TE. So I'm kinda doing the same, while keeping the main color scheme.

make sure you post how you changed the buttons out and the finished product.
I got my 2 sticks preordered.

vg260

make sure you post how you changed the buttons out and the finished product.
I got my 2 sticks preordered.

Well, I might be holding off on opening it up for a bit until Amazon's return window ends in case there's an issue...unless I really hate the Kuros that much that I can't wait.

I really wish stick makers would update the connection between the wiring and buttons. Very annoying uncoupling them from buttons I want to replace

DasRaven

I believe the distance between the joystick and buttons is different. Don't know which one is closer.

The Kai models have MORE space between the lever and buttons.
Apparently the buttons are slightly further toward the top of the case also in the Kai.

ban25

Apparently the buttons are slightly further toward the top of the case also in the Kai.

Interesting. Seems like a nice improvement, but not something to bother replacing my V4 over.

vg260

The Kai stick is a little farther to the left, maybe about 2/3 of a joystick dust cover diameter over to the left. (based on a crude photoshop superposition of the two). The buttons are the same spot horizontally, just a very small bit farther toward the top of the faceplate.

hitsugi

I actually prefer the buttons closer to the stick.. a lot of people seem to be fond of the changes in the Kai stick (such as the extra space and the touchpad) but if I could, I would pay the same price ($150-ish) for a V4 or V5 instead. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to obtain one for that price, even used D:

Edzi

I actually prefer the buttons closer to the stick.. a lot of people seem to be fond of the changes in the Kai stick (such as the extra space and the touchpad) but if I could, I would pay the same price ($150-ish) for a V4 or V5 instead. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to obtain one for that price, even used D:

I'm curious, does it actually make a difference for you in terms of execution, or is it just preference?

Skilletor

I'm curious, does it actually make a difference for you in terms of execution, or is it just preference?

Preference, which can effect execution.

I prefer more space. I'm a big dude with large hands and close stick and buttons make me claustrophobic.

hitsugi

It's just a prefence; I don't think it makes a difference for me to be honest. The first japanese style joystick I got accustomed to outside of arcades was the green dreamcast stick which had a hell of a lot of spacing between the stick and buttons.

Later on I used the HRAP Pro for 360 which probably has similar spacing to the V4 Kai. No problems there.

I don't think it was until the Vewlix cabinets came out that things got so close, but that's what I got used to so that's just what I prefer. I know plenty of people that simply find the first 2 buttons to be too close to the stick, though.

BOTEC

oh hai

gXU79Pi.jpg

Finally, I get to live the dream of an all Seimitsu stick:

• 1x LS-32-01-SC lever
  • 6x PS-14-G buttons
  • 1x PS-14-D button
  • and lastly,
  • 2x AM-30 hole plugs

Just in time for Under Night.

BOTEC

Nice.

Any issues changing the stick? I'll probably put an LS-40 in my V4 Kai if I don't like the Hayabusa. How's the weight feel?

Everything was super easy. The literal hardest part was twisting the screws back in to mount the joystick since the two middle holes aren't threaded, you'll need some elbow grease, or a mechanical screw driver. Don't forget to use the SS mounting plate.

The weight of the whole thing feels comparable to all other Hori Real Arcade Pros, since it's essentially the same amount of plastic and metal, just less air inside. They really cut out all margins. The quick disconnects on the buttons literally touch the metal base panel.

What is it with the arcade stick market anyways? It seems like everything is made to order, neither Hori or MCZ seems to build any stock. They'll only make them when they know exactly how many people actually want them. And yeah, I'm a bit salty that when I pre ordered my MCZ TE2 stick only to find out that I won't be receiving it for another 3 months(when I ordered it late last month). I want my instant gratification already lol.

I actually can be of some help. I already have a V4 and I pre-ordered the V4 Kai so I don't have much of a reason to keep the V4. I'll PM you so we can work out a deal.

EasyMode

Everything was super easy. The literal hardest part was twisting the screws back in to mount the joystick since the two middle holes aren't threaded, you'll need some elbow grease, or a mechanical screw driver. Don't forget to use the SS mounting plate.

The weight of the whole thing feels comparable to all other Hori Real Arcade Pros, since it's essentially the same amount of plastic and metal, just less air inside. They really cut out all margins. The quick disconnects on the buttons literally touch the metal base panel.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have that mounting plate somewhere. I better search through my spare parts to make sure.

I never had an HRAP before so I'm not sure how the weight feels. I'm used to the earlier TE's and the Qanba Q4, both of which are heavier. I just hope the V4 Kai doesn't shift around when I'm using it.

New002

I owned one for about a year and modded it with a brand new populated blast city panel (OBSF RGs!) and 360 PCBs. It's a novelty to own, but unless you have a somewhat permanent place to use/keep it, it's quite cumbersome because of its size.

I purchased the hss for about $300, then spent about $150 modding it. Eventually sold it for $550.

Edit: here's a pic:

IB8ilRe.jpg

It's still going strong ;)

16008392364_4ed2e723a3_b.jpg

Pic is a few months old.

mdsfx

It's still going strong ;)

16008392364_4ed2e723a3_b.jpg

Pic is a few months old.

Oh my god!!!! No way! How awesome is that. You just made my night. I haven't seen it in YEARS! :)

Edit: did I make that sfiv at with the 100 yen art at the end? I swear I remember making that in photoshop...?

Edit #2: Lol...just found the photoshop mock-up image (before I printed it) and the actual pic from just before I added the new panel:

nNHQvgt.jpg

jZU1WIh.jpg

Skilletor

What is it with the arcade stick market anyways? It seems like everything is made to order, neither Hori or MCZ seems to build any stock. They'll only make them when they know exactly how many people actually want them. And yeah, I'm a bit salty that when I pre ordered my MCZ TE2 stick only to find out that I won't be receiving it for another 3 months(when I ordered it late last month). I want my instant gratification already lol.

Seems like supply and demand. They don't want to make a ton of stock only to have it not sell and then be forced to drop the price. It's a niche market with a hardcore fanbase.

New002

Oh my god!!!! No way! How awesome is that. You just made my night. I haven't seen it in YEARS! :)

Edit: did I make that sfiv at with the 100 yen art at the end? I swear I remember making that in photoshop...?

Lol. Yeah we crossed paths here a few months back, in this very thread I think, when I posted my HSS pics.

I don't think you did. I think someone else on SRK made the art and shared it in a thread. Details are foggy since that was like...4 years ago.

New002

lol woops! Guess my memory is slipping at the ripe old age of 32

Well those pics look pretty convincing so maybe it's my memory that's slipping! I could have sworn I had it printed at my university plotter though. The important thing is the stick is safe :p

mdsfx

Well those pics look pretty convincing so maybe it's my memory that's slipping! I could have sworn I had it printed at my university plotter though. The important thing is the stick is safe :p

I did find the original layered Photoshop file, but I also shared it with a few people way back when, so who knows. You may very well have printed it and gotten the image from someone else.

Great to see it being taken care of. Looks like it's in tip-top shape! Man, if you ever sell that thing in the future... I bet i would bite.

New002

I did find the original layered Photoshop file, but I also shared it with a few people way back when, so who knows. You may very well have printed it and gotten the image from someone else.

Great to see it being taken care of. Looks like it's in tip-top shape! Man, if you ever sell that thing in the future... I bet i would bite.

Well since SFV won't be coming to Xbox One I'm thinking it will get some solid use on the PC version. If I ever do sell it though you'll be the first person I hit up!

TetsujinZ

• 1x LS-32-01-SC lever
  • 6x PS-14-G buttons
  • 1x PS-14-D button
  • and lastly,
  • 2x AM-30 hole plugs

I'm curious how the "assign mode" works on this stick if you get the chance to test it out. I would like to plug up L1 and L2 for a 6 button layout, but am hoping those buttons can be reassigned to L3 and R3 on the side (since L1 and L2 are commonly used for in-game menus/functions).

oh hai

gXU79Pi.jpg

• 1x LS-32-01-SC lever
  • 6x PS-14-G buttons
  • 1x PS-14-D button
  • and lastly,
  • 2x AM-30 hole plugs

Nice. I'm a Seimitsu fan as well. Still not used to seeing an LS-32 with a shaft cover.

Grifter

I'm curious how the "assign mode" works on this stick if you get the chance to test it out. I would like to plug up L1 and L2 for a 6 button layout, but am hoping those buttons can be reassigned to L3 and R3 on the side (since L1 and L2 are commonly used for in-game menus/functions).

Assign button? Now I'm picturing a reassign-able select button for SF4 plinking.

BOTEC

Any chance you could post a pic of the sides and list what all the switches do?

Most of that stuff is turbo switches which I don't use. That's also where the rest of the buttons are, L3, R3, Share, and Home.

Is that what that does? I was wondering what that was. Too late now, I already pulled those buttons out.

Shaneus

I'm debating what to get... there's a Hori MvC3 I can buy new for $120AU which I believe is the same as the HRAP V3, *or* I could buy a WWE Brawlstick for $60AU and mod the hell out of it.

On paper I think the MvC3 stick is a better buy, but because I want it more for shmups and arcade platformers/beat em ups, I'd prefer to have a short throw on the stick. Can the joystick in the MvC3 be modded to do that, or am I better getting the Brawlstick and buying a JLW or LS-32-01 off the bat?

Edit: Only concerned with PC/PS3 compatibility right now, hence why I've narrowed it down to those two. Shame the artwork on the MvC3 is so butt-ugly :(

mdsfx

I'm debating what to get... there's a Hori MvC3 I can buy new for $120AU which I believe is the same as the HRAP V3, *or* I could buy a WWE Brawlstick for $60AU and mod the hell out of it.

On paper I think the MvC3 stick is a better buy, but because I want it more for shmups and arcade platformers/beat em ups, I'd prefer to have a short throw on the stick. Can the joystick in the MvC3 be modded to do that, or am I better getting the Brawlstick and buying a JLW or LS-32-01 off the bat?

Edit: Only concerned with PC/PS3 compatibility right now, hence why I've narrowed it down to those two. Shame the artwork on the MvC3 is so butt-ugly :(

Modding either is easy. I agree with you on the artwork, but I would trust the hori PCB more.

whelp, finally was able to play through some GGXrd with my cabinet

Im pretty terrible at wiring, and I havent figured out how Im going to mount the PCB to the wood yet, but its working, and im relieved at that...but only 50% done as I havent touched 2Player

The one we built at work with 2 MC Cthulhu boards has some ugly wiring that I've been meaning to redo now that we have the boards mounted to the under side of the panel.

We mounted the PCBs with motherboard standoffs and screws. It works really well.

Top Bottom