• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO teases 'surprise' new console JRPG, 'charged' for E3

Kasper

Type-0 didn't happen, you expect FF12 to be on Vita?

Yes.

Square released X/X-2 HD on Vita, they're making an exclusive SaGa game for it and they seem to port a decent amount of their various mobile games of questionable quality. So why not XII HD?

Type-0 was a whole other ordeal, meant to garner a lot of extra sales from the exclusive XV demo. If that hadn't been the case I imagine the game would probably have been ported to PS3 and Vita also. But who knows, Square's weird and unpredictable.

dorkkaos

My wishlist for this

-Maybe a totally new game
-FFXII HD (IZJS with new camera controls)
-new Chrono Game
-New Mana game
-New console Tactics game

:D

Square pleaseeee......

iH2aW8b.png

"New" "console" rpg.

Posts picture of handheld version of old game.

smh

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I bet you feel real proud of yourself, don't you Sherlock. But did you know Sherlock died in the end?

Why can't we have a Japanese developed Tomb Raider?

I'd like to see Lara with crazy outfits, very nice looking hair, and fancy flying ala Dissidia moves.

dungtongue

Neo Member
It would 'surprise' me if this new JRPG was actually developed for mobile which Square Enix might define as a 'charged' console.

Uthred

OMG yes please. Front Mission was one of my favorite game series back in the day. Does anyone know why they never brought 5 over?

Five, while great, depends pretty heavily on the other games for context, by itself its a tad nonsensical, were all the other games available at that point?

PirateKing

Yes.

Square released X/X-2 HD on Vita, they're making an exclusive SaGa game for it and they seem to port a decent amount of their various mobile games of questionable quality. So why not XII HD?

Type-0 was a whole other ordeal, meant to garner a lot of extra sales from the exclusive XV demo. If that hadn't been the case I imagine the game would probably have been ported to PS3 and Vita also. But who knows, Square's weird and unpredictable.

Fair enough. I'd love 12 to be on Vita than any other console so i hope so.

Koozek

Or you know what: it could be Toriyama's new game which he said will be revealed in 2015 (if he's not actually Mevius' director, who still hasn't been disclosed yet).

Finally, a hand drawn HD sequel to Legend of Mana.
This is what I hope they do with a Chrono sequel. I would even prefer an HD sprite based 2D game on home consoles reminiscent of simpler times than a triple-A game with production values like FFXV because:
1) it wouldn't make it as huge a risk
2) would cost a fraction to make
3) would take a fraction of the time something like FFXV is taking
4) there's literally no competition in the realm of 2D HD sprite based jRPG on home consoles!

But alas, I don't think it's ever going to happen. It's probably FFVIII PC edition for PS4.

blackr1fle

Neo Member
The potential for a new star ocean using the Luminous Engine would be crazy, too bad the dream is most likely dead. Game would probably look incredible.

R-User!

They haven't even announced whatever it is that they'll announce, but all I can think is "too soon, SquareEnix, too soon."

R-User!

They haven't said when they're going to make that announcement too, to be fair.

I mean "too soon" as in its "to soon for me to trust you" since the FF7 PS4 debacle regardless of when that announcement goes up.

Too soon for me to allow myself to be hyped. Maybe after they announce something great at E3 and it blows my mind; then that would at least be refilling the trust meter a bit: allowing for a fraction of me to begin to "trust in their hype machines".

Realistically speaking, it'll probably be a while before I'm "blindly frothing at the mouth" in anticipation for one of their announcements gong forward.

When they reveal FF16 that will be a big moment; that or FFT2, Vagrant Story 2, Chrono 3, XenoEp6, or FF7HD Remaster/Remake/ReWhatever, or FF8/9 Remaster.

I don't want to get my hopes up anymore though; it's too heart wrenching. 15 has taken 9 years to almost fully be realized, and wasn't intended to even be 15. I hope 16 is the return to much of it's former glory of 15 doesn't do the trick! So far I like the Demo though so there's that for the trust meter... :)

Ehrgeiz 2, but with a Square Enix-er subtitle. I suggest Ergheiz Succession High Nutritional Value Can't Authenticate To SMTP Server².

Upcoming SE stuff:

FF14 expansions
FFXV
DQH
KH3
FF Dissidia
Saga
BD2
FF 12 HD ( has to happpen)
FF Type 1 (teased)
DQ11
New console jrpg

I like you SE.
Maybe there's some overlap between the teased, speculated and not officially announced games you listed and this new one?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be fair to SE, they didn't really promise anything at the 20th anniversary in regards to the FF7 PS4 port as much of a troll as it was.

Here, we know what they are alluding to, so we can have proper expectations.

-Ryn

Banned
I miss when Square teases excited me lol

Here's hoping whatever it is kickass. If so I'll be boarding the Hype Train to Fun street station immediately.

Top Bottom