• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS: Full car list revealed - 65 cars included on-disc, 9 to download

aliengmr

While drive by posting from people who don't know what the game is can be frustrating, I don't get the angst for car modifications. Sure adding a spoiler 20" wheels and a anime livery to a civic is what some people get off on, but intelligently modifying a street car to gain performance on the track is fun and rewarding.

Its not angst, its just not the point. These cars are based on real world counterparts and modifying them, beyond what you can do in the pit, means fudging the numbers.

Its like adding different engines to an A-10 in DCS. The point is to fly a simulated version of the actual A-10, not an A-10 that doesn't exist.

Along with not being the point, you also have to consider that by detailing a specific car's attributes and characteristics means that changing a spoiler would effect many more variables and probably not have the desired effect.

OmegaDL50

And yet with a name like Project CARS you expect the car list to be bigger and have more variety than its track list not that a big track list is bad or anything. Also if project cars is supposed to be a Motorsport sim where are things like rally racing and drag racing(and many more) those are motorsports by definition yet are nowhere to be seen. Could I call it a shallow motorsports experience because of that? No because that's not its focus as with true racing simulation not being forza's focus regardless of name.

However the CARS in it's name doesn't represent the number vehicles in the game, It's an abbreviation for Community Assisted Racing Simulator

However the CARS in it's name doesn't represent the number vehicles in the game, It's an abbreviation for Community Assisted Racing Simulator

That's what I'm saying about Forza... and do you honestly think when your average person is looking for a racing game they see this and think "oh that must not mean what it's spelling"?

OmegaDL50

That's what I'm saying about Forza... and do you honestly think when your average person is looking for a racing game they see this and think "oh that must not mean what it's spelling"?

Probably not, but then again the average person just picking up games off the shelf on the basis of a name generally doesn't look at the back of the game case to get a better understanding on the product they are about to buy. Or worse at least take the time to do some research on their purchase before putting the money down for it.

But being the internet age with information so widely accessible, it's unfortunate the above is hardly the case a majority of the time.

Probably not, but then again the average person just picking up games off the shelf on the basis of a name generally doesn't look at the back of the game case to get a better understanding on the product they are about to buy. Or worse at least take the time to do some research on their purchase before putting the money down for it.

But being the internet age with information so widely accessible, it's unfortunate the above is hardly the case a majority of the time.

It is unfortunate but hey that's their prerogative.

elfinke

lmao... We have an equivalent in French... Ford truely is an international company.

Fabrication
Ordinaire
Réparation
Dispendieuse

Which roughly translate to "Cheap construction, expensive repairs".

Yeah, we have 'fix or repair daily' and 'found on rubbish dump', among many others here in Australia. Trying to decide whether to grab this for PC or PS4. Kind of leaning towards PC, even though I don't think that's where I'll get best performance. Have SMS said anything about mod support? Gonna have to hit up Google after breakky!

Dobsie

Are you in the EU? Preorder the standard digital version and you'll get the five LE cars thrown in, along with the three preorder cars and events. By using a prepaid code from CD keys (or similar) to add credit to your account it can actually work out cheaper than buying the disc.

Thanks for this Mascot, just used the cd keys trick, works out pretty well. Plus, I need that McLaren F1 in my life!

Its not angst, its just not the point. These cars are based on real world counterparts and modifying them, beyond what you can do in the pit, means fudging the numbers.

Its like adding different engines to an A-10 in DCS. The point is to fly a simulated version of the actual A-10, not an A-10 that doesn't exist.

Along with not being the point, you also have to consider that by detailing a specific car's attributes and characteristics means that changing a spoiler would effect many more variables and probably not have the desired effect.

I'm not saying that it belongs in this game, but that implying because another game has that feature its somehow a net negative is wrong. I understand why its not in this game, but there are better ways to explain/defend that choice than putting down a cool feature found in other games.

The lack of cars is a time and money thing not because of the type of racing the game wants to represent. If they had more time and money they could produce a wider selection of vehicles that still fit the parameter of "motorsport", possibly even choose historic cars too.

Every game is a balancing act, and personally given the current climate of racers, especially on console, a wide variety of real track locations was a wise decision to spend resources on.

Mascot

Thanks for this Mascot, just used the cd keys trick, works out pretty well. Plus, I need that McLaren F1 in my life!
It's a pretty sweet deal, but don't thank me, thank whoever it was who mentioned this in the first place [edit: it was danowat!]. Just spreading the good GAF word..!

As an added bonus you can play the digital PS4 version from 11pm BST this coming Wednesday too.

OmegaDL50

This being a motorsports simulator. If your car you want in the game wasn't ever used in actual motorsports, such as Le Mans, Formula 1, Super GT, IMSA, WTCC

Then don't expect it to be in this game (minding some exceptions)

This is basically the Racing Game equivalent of Madden / FIFA, i.e actual real life racing rules and all of the restrictions that go with it such as class specific cars, regulations, and the vehicles that are actually used per each racing class

The only car that is seemingly out of place in this game is the Lykan Hypersport because it's not in actual Motorsports as far as I know.

I'm just saying. Don't expect Civic Hatchbacks to on the same track with Lamborghini's and Dodge Vipers. This is NOT that sort of racing game.

Dobsie

It's a pretty sweet deal, but don't thank me, thank whoever it was who mentioned this in the first place. Just spreading the good GAF word..!

As an added bonus you can play the digital PS4 version from 11pm BST this coming Wednesday too.
Ah well thanks for spreading the word! I should have realised this CD keys exploit really, I've used it a few times by liking and unliking their fb page.
Ive never preordered games on psn before, how does it work? Will the game automatically download ready for when its released?

danowat

Banned
Ah well thanks for spreading the word! I should have realised this CD keys exploit really, I've used it a few times by liking and unliking their fb page.
Ive never preordered games on psn before, how does it work? Will the game automatically download ready for when its released?

Will download a couple of days prior to release.

FYI you don't need to unlike and like cdkeys on FB, just click the link on their page.

this dampens my interest a bit. i always love collecting cars and having races with all kinds of different cars in these simcade games. i'm sure the gameplay is fantastic but i don't care much for it.

disap.ed

This being a motorsports simulator. If your car you want in the game wasn't ever used in actual motorsports, such as Le Mans, Formula 1, Super GT, IMSA, WTCC

Then don't expect it to be in this game (minding some exceptions)

This is basically the Racing Game equivalent of Madden / FIFA, i.e actual real life racing rules and all of the restrictions that go with it such as class specific cars, regulations, and the vehicles that are actually used per each racing class

The only car that is seemingly out of place in this game is the Lykan Hypersport because it's not in actual Motorsports as far as I know.

I'm just saying. Don't expect Civic Hatchbacks to on the same track with Lamborghini's and Dodge Vipers. This is NOT that sort of racing game.

This is just wrong, there are all kind of cars in the game, also road cars / supercars:

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/cars.html

ST3K3LLY

Banned
Still got loads to do in for a 4 and 5 so probably wait a while before picking this up now that I've seen the car list. Maybe even wait to see if I give in and build new pc so would buy it on steam.

I'm not saying that it belongs in this game, but that implying because another game has that feature its somehow a net negative is wrong. I understand why its not in this game, but there are better ways to explain/defend that choice than putting down a cool feature found in other games.

In Forza and GT the upgrading and tuning helps to get production cars on the same performance level (for example getting a 653pp car to 700pp to compete in a 700pp event). In racing the car performance is leveled through regulations... meaning the cars are kind of already tuned. That you can't upgrade cars which are already conformed to match the regulations of a certain racing league, makes absolute sense.

I agree with soundscream for the production cars though. I want to be able to drive a street legal megane I could pick up from my local dealer on the Nordschleife in PCARS, but I also want to be able to race it against a Focus RS. If you don't let me upgrade cars individually, then there should be some other system to even the odds between those cars, otherwise I'll be racing the Megane only against other Meganes, which would be kind of boring, wouldn't it?

If the race car already has a spoiler, I'm sure you can adjust the downforce in PCARS. I mean, I'm not sure, but I can't imagine that the devs won't let you tinker with your wing setup.

Top Bottom