• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS: Full car list revealed - 65 cars included on-disc, 9 to download

This game went from not being on my radar to actually being a must buy after reading this thread. Car Pokemon stopped being novel a decade ago. Having a career mode that borrows more from individual career modes in sports games instead of the GT model or some kind of nebulous level and XP system is very welcome.

Mascot

Remember that awesome 24hr LeMans race where Audi fought off those Indy cars at the end? Yeah, neither do I. You end up with cars that would never ever race each other in real life on tracks they have no business being on. Great for a hypothetical what if, but a far cry for a motorsports fan.

I still have fucking nightmares about that ridiculous career event in Forza 3 where you were forced to race a pack of LMP cars on a tight and winding Positano track.

After that I started to think that nobody at Turn 10 actually played their own game.

Then bowling and car soccer came along and it was actually confirmed.

Megasoum

Banned
Frequently &
Often
Returned to
Dealer

lmao... We have an equivalent in French... Ford truely is an international company.

Fabrication
Ordinaire
Réparation
Dispendieuse

Which roughly translate to "Cheap construction, expensive repairs".

I still have fucking nightmares about that ridiculous career event in Forza 3 where you were forced to race a pack of LMP cars on a tight and winding Positano track.

After that I started to think that nobody at Turn 10 actually played their own game.

Then bowling and car soccer came along and it was actually confirmed.

Ugh... I hated that track even with a slow car so imagine in a LMP...

Me and my friends used to call it "Rally di Signature" cause when you look at the map it just looks like somebody signed his name on a piece of paper and made a track out of it.

Megasoum

Banned
Ohhhh, the irony (having owned numerous French cars!)

Well to be fair this is a Québec thing and we don't have French cars here.

I'm afraid to play this after being spoiled by DiRT Rally's sound design.

If there's one thing you don't have to be worried about in pCars it's the sound design. SMS always the best sounding cars in the biz. Some of those cars are straight up scary lol

sniperpon

People keep saying that this game is a Gran Turismo/Forza competitor, but I just don't see it.

As someone who has been following sports car racing (both IMSA USC and FIA WEC), Project Cars seems more like a motorsport simulator, not a digital car encyclopedia. The two concepts are very different to me.

If anything, Project Cars seems to have too much variety in car choices; if I want to "be" a professional sports car driver in the game for instance, there are, what, two or three LMP cars in total? So in a field of twenty cars let's say, there will only be three models present? Ditto for the other types of racing.

Just curious to see how they reconciled this.

Hip Hop

Anybody know what's up with the Kart component of the game?

I'm really interested in that. Is it fully fledged out or is it just some side thing?

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody know what's up with the Kart component of the game?

I'm really interested in that. Is it fully fledged out or is it just some side thing?

Fully fledged and part of the career (if you want to).

In theory you can use the karts on any tracks but they have specialized kart tracks too.

I'm not a huge fan of the 150cc karts myself (just not my thing) but the SuperKarts are just fucking ridiculous lol. You are doing 260kph on straight lines in a kart haha. Tons of fun.

A pretty crummy selection of manufacturers.

How in depth are the visual customisation bits though? A good livery editor could make up for the lack of cars.

Hip Hop

Fully fledged and part of the career (if you want to).

In theory you can use the karts on any tracks but they have specialized kart tracks too.

I'm not a huge fan of the 150cc karts myself (just not my thing) but the SuperKarts are just fucking ridiculous lol. You are doing 260kph on straight lines in a kart haha. Tons of fun.

oh man, sounds like a good time for sure. You can do online on all of this, correct?
Gonna convince my friends to get this!

It's currently $37 on GMG so it's a no brainer for me.

Bobnob

I can only imagine that the people trying to compare pcars to FMotorsport have never watched a real life motorsports race take place or done any serious racing online, some of the comments man!

Just a few things that make's pcars better for racing regardless of car count.

Dynamic fuel use
Dynamic weather
Soft and Hard tires that enable a stratagie

And there's loads of other stuff aswell like tuning depth, being able to join in on your freind sessions.

I can't wait, i really hope and kinda know its going to be great!

Jamesways

Ugh... I hated that track even with a slow car so imagine in a LMP...

Me and my friends used to call it "Rally di Signature" cause when you look at the map it just looks like somebody signed his name on a piece of paper and made a track out of it.

It's funny you guys bring that up, I edited my original post, I had included some sarcastic comment about LMPs on cobblestone streets, but didn't know if anyone would remember that race. Yeah, wasn't a big fan of that one at all.

On another topic, I'm hoping DLC will bolster some of the classes. As sniperpon was eluding to above, it'd be nice to get a few more models in class. Still, going to be a fantastic racing experience for me.

danowat

Banned
I can only imagine that the people trying to compare pcars to FMotorsport have never watched a real life motorsports race take place or done any serious racing online, some of the comments man!

Just a few things that make's pcars better for racing regardless of car count.

Dynamic fuel use
Dynamic weather
Soft and Hard tires that enable a stratagie

And there's loads of other stuff aswell like tuning depth, being able to join in on your freind sessions.

I can't wait, i really hope and kinda know its going to be great!

Just having practice and qualifying puts it head and shoulders above GT/FM in terms of motorsport simulation.

martynzs

Neo Member

BUT I WANT TO ADD A TURBO AND SPOILER!!!

The expression 'banging your head against a brick wall' comes to mind at 90% of the comments in this topic...

Kama_1082

Banned
I don't think anyone has said that, but you got to understand and appreciate why those cars that are present are on the car list, and others aren't.

I said before, I don't think mainstream media and console gamers will "get" this game, and this thread just reinforces that thinking.

hipster game confirmed?

and FYI, I bought this game on PC, but not sure why you had to have a dig at console gamers though.

You guys keep going on and on about how people are misinterpreting what PCars is about but at the same time I think some of you are misinterpreting what GT/Forza are aiming to do and since I suck at words I'll go to the wiki of Forza and GT:

"Forza seeks to emulate the performance and handling characteristics of a large number of real-life production, modified and racing cars."

"Gran Turismo games are intended to emulate the appearance and performance of a large selection of vehicles"

Nowhere do I see anything about motorsports simulation nor have I seen anyone on the T10 or PD team claim that they are more than a driving experience sim I could be wrong though. So yeah they may not have this or that but if PCars is allowed to call itself something different to GT/Forza then GT and Forza get to do the same.

The expression 'banging your head against a brick wall' comes to mind at 90% of the comments in this topic...

While drive by posting from people who don't know what the game is can be frustrating, I don't get the angst for car modifications. Sure adding a spoiler 20" wheels and a anime livery to a civic is what some people get off on, but intelligently modifying a street car to gain performance on the track is fun and rewarding.

Bobnob

You guys keep going on and on about how people are misinterpreting what PCars is about but at the same time I think some of you are misinterpreting what GT/Forza are aiming to do and since I suck at words I'll go to the wiki of Forza and GT:

"Forza seeks to emulate the performance and handling characteristics of a large number of real-life production, modified and racing cars."

"Gran Turismo games are intended to emulate the appearance and performance of a large selection of vehicles"

Nowhere do I see anything about motorsports simulation nor have I seen anyone on the T10 or PD team claim that they are more than a driving experience sim I could be wrong though. So yeah they may not have this or that but if PCars is allowed to call itself something different to GT/Forza then GT and Forza get to do the same.
No!

TacosNSalsa

No Chevy, no Lambo, Ferrari and no Dodge especially with the Hellcat brothers out recently is very very odd..however once it works with my wheel I'll still get it cause I need a game like this in my life right now!!

Branson

Uh, guys. This isn't supposed to be a forza/gt type of game. There are street cars but it's main focus is the simulation of real world racing. Mainly race cars.

Makki

Its funny that a thread that were it on topic would have people posting images of the cars on the list, making wishlists of cars not on it or saying if they liked the list or not (which theres some posts in here about it) has devolved into knee jerk reactions from the blind fan community defending their gem against criticism, which in turn shot the topic way off track

Jamesways

But DUBS need to be on GT3 and LMPs man.

I believe the mighty bearded one has gone on record about the simulation aspect of Forza. Simulating things even F1 sims can't do was the quote in fact.
Also, Forza MOTORSPORT, it's in the name. It's named Forza Motorsport, not Forza Driving.

And when you boast about having the official ALMS license yet have a shallow racing experience with that license, you deserve to get called out on it.

But let's be honest here, Forza offers a lot of things to a lot of different types of fans. It's got the ability to cater to tuners, drifters, painters, track day enthusiasts, car guys, and to some extent, motorsports fans. It's a jack of all trades game, and that's great. There's enough to please most racing game fans. But it is lacking in specific areas, and that's ok too.

GT, sure, the real driving simulator. People get that.

Megasoum

Banned
Its funny that a thread that were it on topic would have people posting images of the cars on the list, making wishlists of cars not on it or saying if they liked the list or not (which theres some posts in here about it) has devolved into knee jerk reactions from the blind fan community defending their gem against criticism, which in turn shot the topic way off track

It's funny on how everytime I see you it's to bash pCARS... Works both ways buddy

shandy706

But DUBS need to be on GT3 and LMPs man.

I believe the mighty bearded one has gone on record about the simulation aspect of Forza. Simulating things even F1 sims can't do was the quote in fact.
Also, Forza MOTORSPORT, it's in the name. It's named Forza Motorsport, not Forza Driving.

And when you boast about having the official ALMS license yet have a shallow racing experience with that license, you deserve to get called out on it.

But let's be honest here, Forza offers a lot of things to a lot of different types of fans. It's got the ability to cater to tuners, drifters, painters, track day enthusiasts, car guys, and to some extent, motorsports fans. It's a jack of all trades game, and that's great. There's enough to please most racing game fans. But it is lacking in specific areas, and that's ok too.

I'm hoping, and expecting, Forza 6 will give us real track day options. Turn 10 has a chance to create the best racing/motorsport game if they can get half the "track/racing options" in that PCars has. I'm sure they're paying VERY close attention to this game. Wouldn't be surprised if they're playing it themselves.

And yet with a name like Project CARS you expect the car list to be bigger and have more variety than its track list not that a big track list is bad or anything. Also if project cars is supposed to be a Motorsport sim where are things like rally racing and drag racing(and many more) those are motorsports by definition yet are nowhere to be seen. Could I call it a shallow motorsports experience because of that? No because that's not its focus as with true racing simulation not being forza's focus regardless of name.

Jamesways

I'm hoping, and expecting, Forza 6 will give us real track day options. Turn 10 has a chance to create the best racing/motorsport game if they can get half the "track/racing options" in that PCars has. I'm sure they're paying VERY close attention to this game. Wouldn't be surprised if they're playing it themselves.

And I just have to convince the wife that I "need" an xbox one as well as a ps4. Forza 5 was the first in the series I missed, and I was bummed. That and missing Horizon 2, sad times. Played some of both at a friends though, was really impressed by the physics of 5, felt so good.

I'm hoping Turn 10 really ups the ante on 6.

There's going to be some great racing games to be had this gen.

Edit-
And yet with a name like Project CARS you expect the car list to be bigger and have more variety than its track list not that a big track list is bad or anything. Also if project cars is supposed to be a Motorsport sim where are things like rally racing and drag racing(and many more) those are motorsports by definition yet are nowhere to be seen. Could I call it a shallow motorsports experience because of that? No because that's not its focus as with true racing simulation not being forza's focus regardless of name.
True. There are some disciplines missing from pCARS, yes. And the name could be misunderstood to the consumer not in the know. Community Assisted Racing Simulator describes the means of it's creation, a collaborative effort of racing fans to help dictate the cars and tracks included.

But yet as others have said, the car list provides a variety cross section of motorsports, with some street cars added in. For the goal of the game, it's not a terrible list IMO.

Hedrush

For those who have played the game, is it possible to create your own private multiplayer room, invite my friends and setup a small tour of let's say 6 races with a points system in place?

Upinsmoke

Considering the brilliant overall reaction to this thread, I wish iRacing decides to develop a console version just to see the meltdowns on GAF about cars available, subscription model and DLC plans.

Let's hope the Codemasters F1 2015 car list thread is filled with posts about not having my favorite Chevy, Toyota, Nissan as well.

Love this post. Can't wait for F1 cars, LMP1 cars, Renault Clio's on the same track at the same time just like in real life.

Don't get so offended.

I already have my fix on pc for a simulator in assetto corsa and that's got a small amount of cars so I don't really want another.

Also F1 is a particular sport in racing. What is project cars representing in comparison to f1? plus the career modes and progression are far different in a f1 game. It has alot more authenticity as it has to portray that sport. Just like a football game, or basketball game.

Two very different game and honestly I expected more from a game in development for so long with multiple delays.

AU Tiger

People wanting all these other cars need to keep in perspective that there is like 2, maybe 3 guys working on the cars. ONE of them is responsible I think for making the model and the other guy(s) are responsible for making the textures and whatever else is involved with the lighting/texture work to make them look right in the game.

That's it. I'm pretty sure that Polyphony and Turn10 have more than one guy doing all theri car models and I know that both of those companies have FAARR more money to buy the licenses for these different car brands and track licenses.

Sure there are some great cars missing that I really want to see that I posted in the WMD car request thread but what the DO have so far is great and each car feels totally unique and different where as most of the cars in Forza/GT feel more or less the same.

I'm afraid to play this after being spoiled by DiRT Rally's sound design.

I can assure you that the sound in this game is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JuoipYAU1k

Now I'm really hoping to be surprised by the revolution that pCars will be that people just won't get it.
From everything I've seen it looks just as "casual" as any of the past games with "career evolution". Large grids but short races, no sense of 'sport', you just have to get first or die trying. I mean, it's a game just like Forza is a game, GT is a game, TOCA was a game and GP Legends was a game.

The real meat of the structure should be parallel to whichever career mode they implant.
Proper league/championship, with qualifiers and rule-setting. And what is this age separates sims from SIMS, good mechanical damage modelling.

While having cars from the same league is cool (GT has lots of GT300, Nascar) proper "simulating" each requires much more than that. The only games lately that comes closer to doing that are the Reiza Petrobras and Formula Truck ones.
Then you have iRacing that has the framework to allow something like the above.
AC isn't there, and again, I'll be pleasantly surprised if pCars is.

Mascot

From everything I've seen it looks just as "casual" as any of the past games with "career evolution". Large grids but short races...

I might be wrong but I *think* you can set the number of laps in career races (or any races) to whatever you want.

Uh, guys. This isn't supposed to be a forza/gt type of game. There are street cars but it's main focus is the simulation of real world racing. Mainly race cars.

Ah.

Well I am not an enthusiast like others are about the simulation aspect, but I can understand the focus.

My hype is down a notch because I thought it would be a Forza/GT replacement but I am still excited to try it out.

If anything, Project No Cars would make a great OT title.

Megasoum

Banned
That's a nice, really nice, way to handle it. Along with that, I suppose you can activate wear/fuel and mechanical damage as well.

Yup all assists can be turned on/off in the menu.

Every events in the career will get at least 1 Practice (you can set in the options to have more than one practice), 1 qualifications and at least 1 race (some classes of racing will get multiple races per week-end).

You can then set the AI and the session lenght for every one of those items (Practice, qualif, Race, etc).

etta

my hard graphic balls
For Polyphony: $60,000,000 for GTV.

pCARS is 1/30th of that budget.

Err 1/20 but yea, still a lot lower. I had no idea, I mixed it up with the Star Citizen kickstarter and I thought Project CARS raised over 70 million euros.

Top Bottom