• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp

Okay wait wait wait. Does HBAO remove halos as well or is it only HBAO+? Also why is the halo around Geralt white rather than the black shadow seen in most other games? I've seen plenty of black shadow auras in games but no white ones.

Okay wait wait wait. Does HBAO remove halos as well or is it only HBAO+? Also why is the halo around Geralt white rather than the black shadow seen in most other games? I've seen plenty of black shadow auras in games but no white ones.

Actually that is a common SSAO problem (the white halo).

Look around this character's shoulders and the tank:
Crysis_SSAO.jpg

Derp

Yes perfect. I'm on mobile, and the difference looks quite huge. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing on PC monitors (you guys can analyse the detail better than I can)? Does it match the grass form the screenshot I posted earlier when I asked if it was using HBAO+?

kershner

Banned
Ouch. Virtually indistinguishable. As hyped as I once was for W3, I think that at this point CDPR's best move would be to cancel W3, salvage whatever assets and technology they can, and redouble all their efforts with Cyberpunk 2077.

Virtually indistinguishable? This must be the reason why you guys are all up in arms - none of you actually have working eyes.

- Edit - *whooooosh*

Kaze2212

Yes perfect. I'm on mobile, and the difference looks quite huge. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing on PCs though? Does it match the grass form the screenshot I posted earlier when I asked if it was using HBAO+?

It's way too washed out due to that youtube compression :/

Dinjoralo

Yes perfect. I'm on mobile, and the difference looks quite huge. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing on PCs though? Does it match the grass form the screenshot I posted earlier when I asked if it was using HBAO+?

It doesn't look quite as detailed, but that could be because of the particular grass texture being used there.

My bad if this has already been posted but I didn't find it at first sight.

original.gif

This has to piss everyone off the most. One makes you go, holy cow, THIS is next-gen, look at the dense world I'll be able to explore. The other makes you go, looks pretty, but like a lot of experiences I've already had.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_witcher_3_launch_cinematic-16539_en.html

The game looks beautiful... But yeah, I think grass should cast shadows like in GTA V's Ultra settings. But that would cripple single card setups very likely.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-2651_0004.jpg
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-2651_0007.jpg
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-2651_0010.jpg[/QUOTE]

trees in the distance are awful, and they are not that far away too.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MeRjJiD.jpg

lets hope some ini setting can fix this.

Derp

It's way too washed out due to that youtube compression :/
Goddammit lol. Oh well! At least we tried :p

trees in the distance are awful, and they are not that far away too.
MeRjJiD.jpg

lets hope some ini setting can fix this.
Holy cow. The top half of that screenshot looks like it was painted (I don't mean that in a good way). Then again I'm on mobile so maybe I shouldn't be talking.

Yes perfect. I'm on mobile, and the difference looks quite huge. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing on PC monitors (you guys can analyse the detail better than I can)? Does it match the grass form the screenshot I posted earlier when I asked if it was using HBAO+?

Yeah, it looks like HBAO is enabled. Here it is, compared to a PC screen grab (was this from CDPR) and then a confirmed CDPR shot:

From these shots, I am tempted to say that CDPR does not have AO enabled in their screens. Now, the second screen is in shadow, which maybe makes the foliage shadows more pronounced, but there is a drastic difference between the foliage in screens 2 and 3.

This has to piss everyone off the most. One makes you go, holy cow, THIS is next-gen, look at the dense world I'll be able to explore. The other makes you go, looks pretty, but like a lot of experiences I've already had.

It pisses me off because it's a stupid comparison.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, sometimes I wish I went 4K instead of 1440p...

However, FFXIV's UI scaling is shit and that's the main game I play so... ah well. Always downsampling!

GeekMarty

PCGH (German) are doing a gradual tech-review. http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

Some bullet points:
  • Performance is "very good", regardless if you're using Radeon-GPUs or Nvidia-GPUs.
  • GTX 770 or R9 280X are sufficient for Ultra Settings @ FullHD
  • 2 GiByte VRAM is enough for the (still very good and diverse) Max Textures.
  • Config File lets you tweak the game extensively, like Distance Scaling (I know some of you were worried) and higher res shadows.
  • Every thread is getting some love. So get your 6 cores out ;). Still, the game is playable with just 4 cores @ 2GHz.

There are some nice comparison shots, so I recommend checking out the site even if you can't read German.

kaskade

Man, I'll probably end up going with the PC version anyway but the PS4 looks really close. I kind of like the couch experience with big RPGs like this.

Holy cow. The top half of that screenshot looks like it was painted (I don't mean that in a good way). Then again I'm on mobile so maybe I shouldn't be talking.

Just did a 50 50 split with the angles brush strokes PS filter:

ZKlPFW7.png

Unedited on the right, brush strokes applied on the left.

Definitely getting a painted vibe from that background. Really odd.

viveks86

[*]Config File lets you tweak the game extensively, like Distance Scaling (I know some of you were worried) and higher res shadows.
[*]Every thread is getting some love. So get your 6 cores out ;). Still, the game is playable with just 4 cores @ 2GHz.
[/LIST]

HNNNNGGG!!!

Derp

It doesn't look quite as detailed, but that could be because of the particular grass texture being used there.

Yeah, it looks like HBAO is enabled. Here it is, compared to a PC screen grab (was this from CDPR) and then a confirmed CDPR shot:

From these shots, I am tempted to say that CDPR does not have AO enabled in their screens. Now, the second screen is in shadow, which maybe makes the foliage shadows more pronounced, but there is a drastic difference between the foliage in screens 2 and 3.

Nice nice nice. We're slowly discovering things. This is good.

Vuze

They should update the game with an ultra+, and ultra++ presets then.
Just to have some PC gamers complain that their setup can't run it at 60fps MAXED OUT? We had this issue several times in the recent past, config files may be a bit more tedious but won't cause unjustified backlash from uninformed consumers.
Techland even changed the maximum in-game setting value for draw distance in Dying Light because of the maxed out bs attitude. And guess what? They were praised for "optimizing" the game after this 'patch' lol

GeekMarty

BTW guys, once they are finished with the tech-review of the release version, PCGH will post some shots of a tweaked version for High-End systems (they always call these setting PCGH-Presets ^^). Can't wait.

Just to have some PC gamers complain that their setup can't run it at 60fps MAXED OUT? We had this issue several times in the recent past, config files may be a bit more tedious but won't cause unjustified backlash from uninformed consumers.

I agree. Recent example: Dying Light.

viveks86

I did notice there being more grass in the meadow scene on PC. Besides that, they're pretty similar.

Yup. Definitely not seeing much difference in terms of object count or complexity. Remains to be seen how much the youtube compression factors into the details.

Derp

Just did a 50 50 split with the angles brush strokes PS filter:

ZKlPFW7.png

Unedited on the right, brush strokes applied on the left.

Definitely getting a painted vibe from that background. Really odd.
Very odd indeed. If this is a design feature then I'm worried. Save me distance scaling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom