• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agar.io

The new graphics update is fantastic:

lsPZJo5.gif

I just played this for about four hours... There's something perfect about chasing down a cell named "Doge" or "Imperial Japan" with your own gargantuan cell named "( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

BusterJol

best way to play is to circle around the top 3 and smite them down whenever they near a spiky circle. Then cackle in a villainous fashion while they get eaten up by others.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Do the pellets not benefit you any longer when you get big enough?

If you enable the 'show mass' option you will see that the bigger you are the faster you lose mass over time. Picking up pellets reduces the effect.

They've added team mode to this. 3 teams and you can't eat your own teams cells. Works really well.

Until your own dumb teammates get you killed by blocking or never help you out. I mean, seriously... I feed people on my team all the time and often they never help out or even repay the favor after they gobble up 2-3k points.

Otherwise team mode is pretty fantastic and is somewhat preferred to me over the pure chaos of FFA. When I started playing today they had no leader board for it... now they do. But they also need a way to award a team who is dominating a win and then reset to 0.

Maximus P

Manage to last a good while just now. Myself and some other guy were luring people in then dropping our entire mass on each other at the best moment to eat the other team.

I do agree about blocking though, and the little guys always seem to cling onto you, which just feels like begging. Get out there and gather some food!

DaBoss

Yea, it really takes a long time to take the winning team down because team coordination isn't everyone's strong suit.

Our team managed to take down green team after like 30 minutes of just doing nothing but failing.

Just had a match where we snowballed from sorta early on with a bit of team work. Had a blast though cause my teammates this time actually worked together. When help win 3-4 big fight, it is very satisfying and appreciated when the victor shares the spoils of biological warfare. We ended up having like 80% of the pie filled when I left. So I kinda think that the game needs to reset a bit earlier than that, like 75% for sure.

Around 75% there wasn't much left to conquer so I started going around and popping every little green trap I came across and discovered that once you're at max cell count, which is like 10-15, then the traps don't even split you. New meta!
OjyWv23.gif

This game has oddly deep strategies despite the simple facade.

The teams game mode is AWESOME. Being able to help out cells that are being chased by ejecting some mass into them is a great mechanic.

Man I just discovered this game yesterday.
There's something weirdly exhilarating about chasing a smaller cell down only to have a larger cell appear on the scene.

Maximus P

Iv'e found something worse than teamers in FFA. Damn blockers in team mode. I'm not sure if it's trolling or some form of begging for me to give them mass, but everytime i grow to a reasonably big size they'll be at least 2 or 3 little peeps that cling onto me and push me around.

I didn't want it before, but i'd really like some form of chat now, especially in team mode, even if it's just to tell people to move their ass out of the way.

Ploid 3.0

Are there any controls list? I found space is to split up with a good reach if you're chasing someone a lot smaller than you.

Raist

Banned
Are there any controls list? I found space is to split up with a good reach if you're chasing someone a lot smaller than you.

It's on the "login" screen.

Space to split.
W to eject mass.

That's it. Q used to spread cells but was only in for a brief period of time. Not sure why they got rid of it it was sometimes useful.

Ploid 3.0

It's on the "login" screen.

Space to split.
W to eject mass.

That's it. Q used to spread cells but was only in for a brief period of time. Not sure why they got rid of it it was sometimes useful.

Oh wow, it is, I don't know how I missed that even while scanning it for a controls menu. Thanks. Now to try this spitting thing out.

yatesl

I've only just realised that you can spit mass in to the green spikes, and if you do it enough another green spawns and fires out in that direction.

Fantastic for strategy, or just trolling.

Stike

I've only just realised that you can spit mass in to the green spikes, and if you do it enough another green spawns and fires out in that direction.

Fantastic for strategy, or just trolling.

Exactly.

I often play as "TrapDoorSpider" and hide underneath the spikes, eating the small blobs that pass by, pumping my mass into the spikes and growing my domain, har har har

Jason

I've been hanging out in the US West server (my nick is JASONNNN).

A big FU to my eternal enemies doge, Moon and Sanik.

Oh man you can have some fucking epic moments in this game. Two recent games I had:

1. Climbed the leader board to the number one position over about thirty minutes in FFA. When I got there pretty much everyone was out to get me and the smaller cells were ejecting mass in to the Green spiked cells pushing them at me to try and destroy me. I managed to defend myself successfully for a good twenty minutes before a Green spiked cell was pushed over to me causing my cell to explode. I was then absorbed by everyone as they all descended upon me like vultures. Epic.

2. I was playing TEAMS as the Red team and we were getting slaughtered by Green which had about 95% of the leader board. I changed my name to "We're fucked" referring to the Red team and one of the Green cells must have felt sorry for me because as I was surrounded by multiple massive Green cells he intentionally ejected all of his mass directing the mass in my direction increasing my radius to the point that I was the largest cell in the game. I then dominated absorbing most of the Green cells around me. Then however the leader and largest cell of the Green team must have felt appalled at his Jesus like sacrifice because he angrily pushed a Green spiked cell over to me thus causing my cell to explode.

How can this game get so epic? Anyway yeah having loads of fun. The game is genius.

Just a heads up everyone. The game has a new experimental mode.

Some details here from the Agar.io wiki:

Experimental Mode

The experimental game mode is where new game mechanics are tested. The ranking system is the same as FFA mode. Currently the experimental game mode includes a mother cell and a new variant of the virus. Due to the extra food/combat with the mother cell, there are much more large cells in the experimental mode. The dark viruses are also geared towards larger cells, requiring more mass to eject and consume than regular viruses.

Mother Cell

In the Experimental Mode there is large cells scattered about the map that ejects food called the mother cell. It ejects food in random directions around itself. The cell has a border similar to a virus. The mother cell will also instantly eject food equal to the mass of ejected mass or cells it absorbs. A cell larger than it will be split up and gain 222 mass, similar to a virus. The large amount of food surrounding the mother cell leads to a high concentration of smaller cell activity, which brings larger cells to the mother cell as well. Using the mother cell for food/hunting is a high risk, high reward activity.

Dark Virus

In the Experimental Mode there is a rare type of virus that has a 5% chance to spawn instead of a regular virus (map spawn, not ejection). When consumed, it has the same effect as a normal virus, splitting the cell into several smaller cells. These viruses are larger and darker than normal viruses, requiring more mass to consume or eject. It takes 16 mass ejections (~225 mass) to eject a dark virus. You need a mass of ~300 to consume a dark virus as a single cell, ~320 as multiple cells. When consumed while you have the max number of cells, dark viruses add ~225 mass to your cell.

Played a few games last night and it's fucking chaos. It's faster and way more intense. If you're up for an adrenaline rush then the experimental mode is the way to go.

Stike

Pretty good mode, I don't like that you can't enlarge and split the normal viruses anymore. You just end up pushing them around a little, which is much weaker than before :(

My new record. I was 1st for about 10 minutes if not longer and 1st or 2nd for 20+ minutes. Allied with someone named "ur mom" who kept dying but would come back, find me, and buddy up. Really fun round for me. You can see my buddy "ur mom" in the bottom right from my cell and that jerk "smiley" that popped me once later on by shooting a virus at me - I chased him down later and ate most of him. "PressF5forHelp" later took over 1st place simply because I kept losing mass and he was maintaining his, but I eventually hit him with a virus then chased him into a corner and ate the majority of him, returning myself to the #1 spot. Felt good. Finally, ran out of time so I just fed a bunch to someone that was pretty big and then suicided into them, I think I was #2 at that time.

Utter rektness. People started quitting after I hit 1st so many times. There were these two buddies that ganged up on me and managed to eat me quite a lot of times but I constantly built myself up from scratch and tricked the larger guy into impaling himself onto an already primed cell (1 mass till bursting). Didn't know what hit him. Then came the slow eating of the viruses with max cell count.

Rated-G

Has anyone gotten to try the iOS version at all? Just keeps crashing on boot for me, and I'm using an iPhone 6 on latest firmware.

MIMIC

Banned
Saw some of the people playing this on the React channel (sorry guys, lol). It was pretty addictive for a while!

Do you start shrinking if you don't eat another person for a while? Either I was imagining things, or I was starting to get smaller over time. That's when I realized that I would have to try a new strategy. But I had already wasted enough time so I quit.

My best attempt:

Cia6djB.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
Saw some of the people playing this on the React channel (sorry guys, lol). It was pretty addictive for a while!

Do you start shrinking if you don't eat another person for a while? Either I was imagining things, or I was starting to get smaller over time. That's when I realized that I would have to try a new strategy. But I had already wasted enough time so I quit.

My best attempt:

Cia6djB.jpg

Yes if you turn on the mass counter in the settings you can watch it fall. You actually lose mass faster the bigger you are.

Top Bottom