• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agar.io

The new feature allowing you to spit cells out in a chosen direct is ruining the game. I've been on at least 3 boards today in which I've witnessed groups of cells actively feeding one another and dominating the board.

That's pretty awesome actually! Competitive Teamplay Agar

Maximus P

That's pretty awesome actually! Competitive Teamplay Agar

It would be if there was a team mode (maybe have red vs blue cells for example) but in the games I've seen it happen anyone joining the game doesn't stand a chance, you are simply food for the number one spot.

I agree with the poster earlier that said that they already want a 'classic' mode. Having teams and the ability to gift mass takes away from the casual nature of the game.

strata8

Haven't been able to play this at all today due to terrible lag and stuttering. I mean, there are 25,000 players but it's fairly simple compared to most multiplayer games. Might be on my end.

Majine

Banned
Based on the server numbers, it seems the game has exploded in popularity.

Nice to see good game design being rewarded.

The new feature allowing you to spit cells out in a chosen direct is ruining the game. I've been on at least 3 boards today in which I've witnessed groups of cells actively feeding one another and dominating the board.
This was already possible simply by splitting into someone else.

santi_yo

e5R8kz2.jpg

KScorp

This was already possible simply by splitting into someone else.
It was always possible to feed larger cells if you are smaller. The issue is that larger cells can feed smaller cells now. That lets your teammate be very aggressive with their splitting, because they can just feed themselves to their larger teammate until they are just a single cell, and their larger teammate will give them their mass back, effectively eliminating the time it takes to recombine.

Also, apparently if you hold space your split cell goes farther... can't test it right now but if this is true I've missed a lot of opportunities in the past. No longer does this.

I laugh every time I'm chasing someone smaller than me, then suddenly they eat somebody else that makes them bigger than I am, and the whole chase goes in reverse. It's like "come her you bastard, I'm going to eat you!" to "Nope"

Ricky_R

Wow.... If you haven't seen Game of Thrones' Season 5, don't enter the game via US East. Not sure if regions are divided though. There's somebody there with a name that contains a big spoiler.

I got spoiled, btw. His name was
Arya also dies

Don't really like the way the designer leaned into the hitler/nazi skins and all that. I mean, the internet will be the internet and all but there's a difference between saying "yeah, we won't block offensive usernames" and actively encouraging them. Makes an otherwise rad game feel tasteless.

Wow.... If you haven't seen Game of Thrones' Season 5, don't enter the game via US East. Not sure if regions are divided though. There's somebody there with a name that contains a big spoiler.

Arya also dies

All men must die. Plus,
it doesn't give a time frame or method, and it's probably a fake spoiler anyway.

KScorp

Yes, games are divided. There are thousands of people in each region, but only tens of people in each game.

ChrisD

I've played this game for around four hours today. That's more than I can say about most of my backlog that I paid for.

Cookie Clicker 2.0

You're probably right, but you never know with these book/series. I assumed it had already happened.

So that spoiler hasn't realized yet?

Yeah, that's a fake spoiler as far as the show is concerned. (I haven't read the books, so I don't know about there.)

jts

...hate me...
Had a really good run last night. Choosing such a pleasant name brought me luck.

Creeped up to #10.

2uaZDSSl.png

Then #7

15QO2Qll.png

See that USSR guy? He was split in half, tried to eat me but his smaller half was actually edible by me and I could trap it against him. Then had enough mass to eat the rest.

Then #3

oRNtyVql.png

Wondered around for a good while until I finally became #1

rvI7TWAl.png

Even more of a #1 after (.)(.) fed itself to me at some point. Thank you boobs.

mrZt9lql.png

Then I just committed sudoku so I could catch the rest of Juventus-Real Madrid.

hulyrcfl.png

Good times.

The shooting through a green blob to destroy bigger enemies desperately needs to be taken out of the game. Ruins everything.

The shooting through a green blob to destroy bigger enemies desperately needs to be taken out of the game. Ruins everything.

Respectfully disagree. It helps balance things so there's not big guys hogging the maps all day. Makes it more challenging for them and gives the little guys more of a fighting chance.

tariniel

Arya also dies

I've read all of the books and seen all of S5 so far and
this has not happened in either.

That doesn't mean it wont happen ever, but... yeah.
Fake spoiler.

I like what it has done to the game. It's very fast paced and feels more balanced. The top blobs have to be smarter and things can get pretty wild.

I was having a great time with it last time I played. As a little guy I was able to launch a fairly successful attack against the #1. It caused the top 3 or 4 to shake up momentarily, allowing me new opportunities and time to catch up.

It's still early on, though. Seems like most people haven't caught on yet. I might start to hate it once it becomes super widespread and rampant to the point that we cant do anything.

If it's happening too often all they gotta do is make it take more 'sacrifices' to create a new spike.

Respectfully disagree. It helps balance things so there's not big guys hogging the maps all day. Makes it more challenging for them and gives the little guys more of a fighting chance.

Dunno man. Seems to me that the top blokes already have a huge weakness in that they move incredibly slow. The only way they can catch other blobs is by forcibly splitting themselves and becoming vulnerable (or cornering, but that's rare).

Being able to just obliterate someones size at will is a bit... silly to me.

tcrunch

W is the best key in the game.
Also I was on this weird game today where for the longest time there were only like 6 cells in the whole thing and it was impossible to find anyone. Then once there were more cells my score never went up from 5406 despite eating the #2 and #3 spot over and over again.

2rnBXYn.png

Also is there a reason there are so many Brazils in the US West server?

ZdkDzk

W is the best key in the game.
Also I was on this weird game today where for the longest time there were only like 6 cells in the whole thing and it was impossible to find anyone. Then once there were more cells my score never went up from 5406 despite eating the #2 and #3 spot over and over again.

2rnBXYn.png

Also is there a reason there are so many Brazils in the US West server?

Had a similar thing happen a few days ago. There were only 6 other people and I ended up breaking the game and absorbing the splitters. At some point if I divided the max number of cells (like 12), the game would shrink my largest ones.

FinalD

man I hope they do some nice gameplay updates.

A spectate option would be so cool.

You can now spectate, and yes, it is cool! I'm learning a lot by just watching.

Also, zooming out (in your browser) works in spectate mode, so you can really see everything.

DaBoss

Yea, was just gonna post that spectate is an option.

So I went on a European server cause the US ones were all being crazy. When I entered my nickname, it had a bunch of countries in the top 10 (Germany, Hungary, and USSR) so I thought it would be funny if Canada was on top, so I did just that.
Eventually, I was ridiculously big that I decided to feed some smaller guys (FEED ME PLS and Sharpshooter are the notable ones). Those two stayed by my side with me feeding them and they acted as bodyguards in a sense with the latter doing what they do best, getting accurate shots and hitting some other big guys lol.

Eventually I got kinda bored cause there was no challenge, but soon after, some guy named Hello shows up and is bigger than both of my split masses. I nearly got cornered, but then I split up really fast and went into Sharpshooter. Hello split and tried to get my mass, but that lead him to be smaller than Sharpshooter, so Sharpshooter became first and was still first when I left.

NIN90

Part of the fun for me is thinking up names. My current rotation is:

nice 2 eat u
let me annex u
pls no omnom

Ensirius

I was able to experience what famous people do when I was HUGE on the last game. People would just come to me and feed me just because I was number one, whereas when I was small everybody went after me and tried to troll me. This is my new record:

01ij5BNl.png

What causes your split cells to merge back together again? Is it simply based on a timer, or how many other cells you've absorbed?

So deviously simple. Love the addition of the W to shoot mass not only to feed other people but to fire off and spit viruses at other players. I'd buy an android version of this in a heartbeat.

wapplew

This game co-op now? Every time I destroy the top person, someone else will feed him to be the top again...

Phionoxx

I have mixed feelings on the co-op play style. It can be fun to get a group going - once I get to the top 5 I start gifting mass to randoms and see how they respond. Earlier I topped out at two different people that took the hint and we started working as a group of 3.

I was showing some MGS love so my name was C.BOX "B" - my two helpers eventually changed their names to match. We ran the board for a solid half hour or so - but I only started playing that way because the prior #1 and #2 were working together so we took them down.

bbbuxou.jpg

Top Bottom